QFTCI5GNM15 Game 4, Rounds 9-10: posthumous, WW2

Mark Brader

Oct 4, 2015, 12:53:09 AM10/4/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 9 - Literature - Published Posthumously

We give you the year an author died, the title of a book released
subsequently (in some cases in incomplete form), and the year that
that work was published. You name the author.

1. Died 1940; "The Last Tycoon" published 1941 (and retitled
"The Love of the Last Tycoon" in a later revised edition).

2. Died 1870; "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" published 1870.
3. Died 1817; "Northanger Abbey" published 1817.
4. Died 1924; "The Trial" published 1925.
5. Died 1984; "Answered Prayers" published 1986.
6. Died 1938; "You Can't Go Home Again" published 1940.
7. Died 1969; "A Confederacy of Dunces" published 1980.
8. Died 1961; "Islands in the Stream" published 1970.
9. Died 1964; "The Man with the Golden Gun" published 1965.
10. Died 1976; "Sleeping Murder" published 1976.

* Game 4, Round 10 - History Challenge Round - The Second World War

This year marks the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II,
in May in the European theater of war and in August in the Pacific.
All questions in this round are related to the war.

A. Nicknames of Generals

Which general was nicknamed:

A1. ...Ol' Blood and Guts?
A2. ...the Desert Fox?

B. War Novels

B1. Author Kurt Vonnegut Jr. used the firebombing of what city
as a central event in his novel "Slaughterhouse-Five"?

B2. Author Norman Mailer made his debut with what 1948
novel, which follows a platoon fighting for possession
of a Japanese-held island?

C. Best Picture Oscar Winners

In each case, name the movie. They each won Best Picture and
other Oscars.

C1. This 1946 film, which won 7 Oscars, focuses on three American
servicemen struggling to readjust to civilian life after
the war. Its cast includes Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy,
Fredric March, Teresa Wright, and Harold Russell.

C2. This 1953 film, which won 8 Oscars, focuses on military
men and the women in their lives in Honolulu during the
months before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The cast
includes Montgomery Clift, Burt Lancaster, Frank Sinatra,
Deborah Kerr, and Donna Reed.

D. Collaborators

D1. A hero of the First World War, he headed the Vichy government
of France from 1940 to 1944, a regime notorious for
collaborating with the Nazis. His postwar death sentence
for treason was commuted to life imprisonment by Charles
de Gaulle. Name him.

D2. From 1942 to 1945, he headed a pro-Nazi puppet government
in Norway. His name has come to mean a person who
collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Name him.

E. Historic Dates

In each case, give the exact date: day, month, and year (or
yyyy-mm-dd).

E1. US President Franklin Roosevelt called it "a date which will
live in infamy." When was Pearl Harbor attacked by the
Japanese?

E2. When was "D-Day", the Allied invasion of Normandy?

F. Canada and the War

F1. What was the code name for the French beachfront attacked
by Canadian troops on "D-Day"?

F2. Officially it was Special Training School 103, but what
name is more popularly given to the espionage and commando
training installation located on the shore of Lake Ontario
between Whitby and Oshawa?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "[I] have a will of iron."
m...@vex.net | "And a head to match." --Robert B. Parker, "Chance"

Dan Blum

Oct 4, 2015, 1:00:48 AM10/4/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Literature - Published Posthumously

> 1. Died 1940; "The Last Tycoon" published 1941 (and retitled
> "The Love of the Last Tycoon" in a later revised edition).

F. Scott Fitzgerald

> 2. Died 1870; "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" published 1870.

Charles Dickens

> 3. Died 1817; "Northanger Abbey" published 1817.

Jane Austen

> 4. Died 1924; "The Trial" published 1925.

Franz Kafka

> 6. Died 1938; "You Can't Go Home Again" published 1940.

Thomas Wolfe

> 7. Died 1969; "A Confederacy of Dunces" published 1980.

O'Toole

> 8. Died 1961; "Islands in the Stream" published 1970.

Ernest Hemingway

> 9. Died 1964; "The Man with the Golden Gun" published 1965.

Ian Fleming

> * Game 4, Round 10 - History Challenge Round - The Second World War

> A. Nicknames of Generals

> Which general was nicknamed:

> A1. ...Ol' Blood and Guts?

Patton

> A2. ...the Desert Fox?

Rommel

> B. War Novels

> B1. Author Kurt Vonnegut Jr. used the firebombing of what city
> as a central event in his novel "Slaughterhouse-Five"?

Dresden

> B2. Author Norman Mailer made his debut with what 1948
> novel, which follows a platoon fighting for possession
> of a Japanese-held island?

The Naked and the Dead

> D. Collaborators

> D1. A hero of the First World War, he headed the Vichy government
> of France from 1940 to 1944, a regime notorious for
> collaborating with the Nazis. His postwar death sentence
> for treason was commuted to life imprisonment by Charles
> de Gaulle. Name him.

Petain

> D2. From 1942 to 1945, he headed a pro-Nazi puppet government
> in Norway. His name has come to mean a person who
> collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Name him.

Quisling

> E. Historic Dates

> In each case, give the exact date: day, month, and year (or
> yyyy-mm-dd).

> E1. US President Franklin Roosevelt called it "a date which will
> live in infamy." When was Pearl Harbor attacked by the
> Japanese?

1941-12-07

> E2. When was "D-Day", the Allied invasion of Normandy?

1944-06-06

> F. Canada and the War

> F1. What was the code name for the French beachfront attacked
> by Canadian troops on "D-Day"?

Sword; Juno

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 4, 2015, 2:22:32 AM10/4/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:9_6dnZEin5ApLY3LnZ2dnUU7-
e2d...@vex.net:

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Literature - Published Posthumously
>
> We give you the year an author died, the title of a book released
> subsequently (in some cases in incomplete form), and the year that
> that work was published. You name the author.
>
> 1. Died 1940; "The Last Tycoon" published 1941 (and retitled
> "The Love of the Last Tycoon" in a later revised edition).

Fitzgerald

> 2. Died 1870; "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" published 1870.

Dickens

> 3. Died 1817; "Northanger Abbey" published 1817.

Austen

> 4. Died 1924; "The Trial" published 1925.

Kafka

> 5. Died 1984; "Answered Prayers" published 1986.

Capote

> 6. Died 1938; "You Can't Go Home Again" published 1940.

Wolfe

> 7. Died 1969; "A Confederacy of Dunces" published 1980.

Toole

> 8. Died 1961; "Islands in the Stream" published 1970.

Hemingway

> 9. Died 1964; "The Man with the Golden Gun" published 1965.

Fleming

> 10. Died 1976; "Sleeping Murder" published 1976.

Christie

> * Game 4, Round 10 - History Challenge Round - The Second World War
>
> A. Nicknames of Generals
>
> Which general was nicknamed:
>
> A1. ...Ol' Blood and Guts?

Montgomery; Patton

> A2. ...the Desert Fox?

Rommel

> B. War Novels
>
> B1. Author Kurt Vonnegut Jr. used the firebombing of what city
> as a central event in his novel "Slaughterhouse-Five"?

Dresden

> B2. Author Norman Mailer made his debut with what 1948
> novel, which follows a platoon fighting for possession
> of a Japanese-held island?

"The Naked and the Dead"

> C. Best Picture Oscar Winners
>
> In each case, name the movie. They each won Best Picture and
> other Oscars.
>
> C1. This 1946 film, which won 7 Oscars, focuses on three American
> servicemen struggling to readjust to civilian life after
> the war. Its cast includes Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy,
> Fredric March, Teresa Wright, and Harold Russell.

"The Best Years of Our Lives"

> C2. This 1953 film, which won 8 Oscars, focuses on military
> men and the women in their lives in Honolulu during the
> months before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The cast
> includes Montgomery Clift, Burt Lancaster, Frank Sinatra,
> Deborah Kerr, and Donna Reed.

"From Here to Eternity"

> D. Collaborators
>
> D1. A hero of the First World War, he headed the Vichy government
> of France from 1940 to 1944, a regime notorious for
> collaborating with the Nazis. His postwar death sentence
> for treason was commuted to life imprisonment by Charles
> de Gaulle. Name him.

Petain

> D2. From 1942 to 1945, he headed a pro-Nazi puppet government
> in Norway. His name has come to mean a person who
> collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Name him.

Quisling

> E. Historic Dates
>
> In each case, give the exact date: day, month, and year (or
> yyyy-mm-dd).
>
> E1. US President Franklin Roosevelt called it "a date which will
> live in infamy." When was Pearl Harbor attacked by the
> Japanese?

1941-12-07

> E2. When was "D-Day", the Allied invasion of Normandy?

1944-06-06

> F. Canada and the War
>
> F1. What was the code name for the French beachfront attacked
> by Canadian troops on "D-Day"?

Juno

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 4, 2015, 5:18:22 AM10/4/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 9 - Literature - Published Posthumously
>
> 4. Died 1924; "The Trial" published 1925.

Franz Kafka

> 9. Died 1964; "The Man with the Golden Gun" published 1965.

Ian Flemming

> 10. Died 1976; "Sleeping Murder" published 1976.

> * Game 4, Round 10 - History Challenge Round - The Second World War
>
> B. War Novels
>
> B1. Author Kurt Vonnegut Jr. used the firebombing of what city
> as a central event in his novel "Slaughterhouse-Five"?

Dresden

> D. Collaborators
>
> D1. A hero of the First World War, he headed the Vichy government
> of France from 1940 to 1944, a regime notorious for
> collaborating with the Nazis. His postwar death sentence
> for treason was commuted to life imprisonment by Charles
> de Gaulle. Name him.

Pétain

> D2. From 1942 to 1945, he headed a pro-Nazi puppet government
> in Norway. His name has come to mean a person who
> collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Name him.

Vidkun Quisling

> E1. US President Franklin Roosevelt called it "a date which will
> live in infamy." When was Pearl Harbor attacked by the
> Japanese?

1941-12-09

> E2. When was "D-Day", the Allied invasion of Normandy?

1944-07-06

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 4, 2015, 5:50:33 AM10/4/15
In article <9_6dnZEin5ApLY3L...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 4, Round 9 - Literature - Published Posthumously
>
> We give you the year an author died, the title of a book released
> subsequently (in some cases in incomplete form), and the year that
> that work was published. You name the author.
>
> 1. Died 1940; "The Last Tycoon" published 1941 (and retitled
> "The Love of the Last Tycoon" in a later revised edition).
F. Scott Fitzgerald?

> 2. Died 1870; "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" published 1870.
Charles Dickens

> 3. Died 1817; "Northanger Abbey" published 1817.
> 4. Died 1924; "The Trial" published 1925.
Franz Kafka

> 5. Died 1984; "Answered Prayers" published 1986.
> 6. Died 1938; "You Can't Go Home Again" published 1940.
Thomas Wolfe

> 7. Died 1969; "A Confederacy of Dunces" published 1980.
John Kennedy Toole

> 8. Died 1961; "Islands in the Stream" published 1970.
> 9. Died 1964; "The Man with the Golden Gun" published 1965.
Ian Fleming

> 10. Died 1976; "Sleeping Murder" published 1976.
>

> * Game 4, Round 10 - History Challenge Round - The Second World War
>
> This year marks the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II,
> in May in the European theater of war and in August in the Pacific.
> All questions in this round are related to the war.
>
> A. Nicknames of Generals
>
> Which general was nicknamed:
>
> A1. ...Ol' Blood and Guts?
> A2. ...the Desert Fox?
Erwin Rommel

> B. War Novels
>
> B1. Author Kurt Vonnegut Jr. used the firebombing of what city
> as a central event in his novel "Slaughterhouse-Five"?
Dresden

> B2. Author Norman Mailer made his debut with what 1948
> novel, which follows a platoon fighting for possession
> of a Japanese-held island?
>
> C. Best Picture Oscar Winners
>
> In each case, name the movie. They each won Best Picture and
> other Oscars.
>
> C1. This 1946 film, which won 7 Oscars, focuses on three American
> servicemen struggling to readjust to civilian life after
> the war. Its cast includes Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy,
> Fredric March, Teresa Wright, and Harold Russell.
The Best Years of Our Lives

> C2. This 1953 film, which won 8 Oscars, focuses on military
> men and the women in their lives in Honolulu during the
> months before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The cast
> includes Montgomery Clift, Burt Lancaster, Frank Sinatra,
> Deborah Kerr, and Donna Reed.
From Here To Eternity

> D. Collaborators
>
> D1. A hero of the First World War, he headed the Vichy government
> of France from 1940 to 1944, a regime notorious for
> collaborating with the Nazis. His postwar death sentence
> for treason was commuted to life imprisonment by Charles
> de Gaulle. Name him.
>
> D2. From 1942 to 1945, he headed a pro-Nazi puppet government
> in Norway. His name has come to mean a person who
> collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Name him.
Quisling

> E. Historic Dates
>
> In each case, give the exact date: day, month, and year (or
> yyyy-mm-dd).
>
> E1. US President Franklin Roosevelt called it "a date which will
> live in infamy." When was Pearl Harbor attacked by the
> Japanese?
1941-12-07

> E2. When was "D-Day", the Allied invasion of Normandy?
1944-06-06

> F. Canada and the War
>
> F1. What was the code name for the French beachfront attacked
> by Canadian troops on "D-Day"?
>
> F2. Officially it was Special Training School 103, but what
> name is more popularly given to the espionage and commando
> training installation located on the shore of Lake Ontario
> between Whitby and Oshawa?

Björn Lundin

Oct 4, 2015, 6:53:55 AM10/4/15
On 2015-10-04 06:53, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-11,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Literature - Published Posthumously
>
> We give you the year an author died, the title of a book released
> subsequently (in some cases in incomplete form), and the year that
> that work was published. You name the author.
>
> 1. Died 1940; "The Last Tycoon" published 1941 (and retitled
> "The Love of the Last Tycoon" in a later revised edition).
>
> 2. Died 1870; "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" published 1870.
Edgar Allan Poe

> 3. Died 1817; "Northanger Abbey" published 1817.
Mary Shelley

> 4. Died 1924; "The Trial" published 1925.
Kafka
> 5. Died 1984; "Answered Prayers" published 1986.
> 6. Died 1938; "You Can't Go Home Again" published 1940.
> 7. Died 1969; "A Confederacy of Dunces" published 1980.
> 8. Died 1961; "Islands in the Stream" published 1970.
> 9. Died 1964; "The Man with the Golden Gun" published 1965.
Ian Flemming
> 10. Died 1976; "Sleeping Murder" published 1976.
Agatha Christie (though I thought it was Curtain)

> * Game 4, Round 10 - History Challenge Round - The Second World War
>
> This year marks the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II,
> in May in the European theater of war and in August in the Pacific.
> All questions in this round are related to the war.
>
> A. Nicknames of Generals
>
> Which general was nicknamed:
>
> A1. ...Ol' Blood and Guts?
MacArthur

A2. ...the Desert Fox?
Rommel

> B. War Novels
>
> B1. Author Kurt Vonnegut Jr. used the firebombing of what city
> as a central event in his novel "Slaughterhouse-Five"?

Dresden

> B2. Author Norman Mailer made his debut with what 1948
> novel, which follows a platoon fighting for possession
> of a Japanese-held island?

> C. Best Picture Oscar Winners
>
> In each case, name the movie. They each won Best Picture and
> other Oscars.
>
> C1. This 1946 film, which won 7 Oscars, focuses on three American
> servicemen struggling to readjust to civilian life after
> the war. Its cast includes Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy,
> Fredric March, Teresa Wright, and Harold Russell.
>
> C2. This 1953 film, which won 8 Oscars, focuses on military
> men and the women in their lives in Honolulu during the
> months before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The cast
> includes Montgomery Clift, Burt Lancaster, Frank Sinatra,
> Deborah Kerr, and Donna Reed.
>
> D. Collaborators
>
> D1. A hero of the First World War, he headed the Vichy government
> of France from 1940 to 1944, a regime notorious for
> collaborating with the Nazis. His postwar death sentence
> for treason was commuted to life imprisonment by Charles
> de Gaulle. Name him.

Petain

> D2. From 1942 to 1945, he headed a pro-Nazi puppet government
> in Norway. His name has come to mean a person who
> collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Name him.

Vidkun Quisling

> E. Historic Dates
>
> In each case, give the exact date: day, month, and year (or
> yyyy-mm-dd).
>
> E1. US President Franklin Roosevelt called it "a date which will
> live in infamy." When was Pearl Harbor attacked by the
> Japanese?

1941-12-07

> E2. When was "D-Day", the Allied invasion of Normandy?

1944-06-06

> F. Canada and the War
>
> F1. What was the code name for the French beachfront attacked
> by Canadian troops on "D-Day"?

Juno

> F2. Officially it was Special Training School 103, but what
> name is more popularly given to the espionage and commando
> training installation located on the shore of Lake Ontario
> between Whitby and Oshawa?

Björn

Dan Tilque

Oct 4, 2015, 7:09:53 AM10/4/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Literature - Published Posthumously
>
> We give you the year an author died, the title of a book released
> subsequently (in some cases in incomplete form), and the year that
> that work was published. You name the author.
>
> 1. Died 1940; "The Last Tycoon" published 1941 (and retitled
> "The Love of the Last Tycoon" in a later revised edition).
>
> 2. Died 1870; "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" published 1870.
> 3. Died 1817; "Northanger Abbey" published 1817.
> 4. Died 1924; "The Trial" published 1925.
> 5. Died 1984; "Answered Prayers" published 1986.
> 6. Died 1938; "You Can't Go Home Again" published 1940.
> 7. Died 1969; "A Confederacy of Dunces" published 1980.

John Kennedy Toole

> 8. Died 1961; "Islands in the Stream" published 1970.
> 9. Died 1964; "The Man with the Golden Gun" published 1965.

Ian Flemming

> 10. Died 1976; "Sleeping Murder" published 1976.
>

> * Game 4, Round 10 - History Challenge Round - The Second World War
>
> This year marks the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II,
> in May in the European theater of war and in August in the Pacific.
> All questions in this round are related to the war.
>
> A. Nicknames of Generals
>
> Which general was nicknamed:
>
> A1. ...Ol' Blood and Guts?

Patton ??

> A2. ...the Desert Fox?

Rommel

> B. War Novels
>
> B1. Author Kurt Vonnegut Jr. used the firebombing of what city
> as a central event in his novel "Slaughterhouse-Five"?

Dresden

> B2. Author Norman Mailer made his debut with what 1948
> novel, which follows a platoon fighting for possession
> of a Japanese-held island?
>
> C. Best Picture Oscar Winners
>
> In each case, name the movie. They each won Best Picture and
> other Oscars.
>
> C1. This 1946 film, which won 7 Oscars, focuses on three American
> servicemen struggling to readjust to civilian life after
> the war. Its cast includes Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy,
> Fredric March, Teresa Wright, and Harold Russell.
>
> C2. This 1953 film, which won 8 Oscars, focuses on military
> men and the women in their lives in Honolulu during the
> months before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The cast
> includes Montgomery Clift, Burt Lancaster, Frank Sinatra,
> Deborah Kerr, and Donna Reed.

South Pacific

> D. Collaborators
>
> D1. A hero of the First World War, he headed the Vichy government
> of France from 1940 to 1944, a regime notorious for
> collaborating with the Nazis. His postwar death sentence
> for treason was commuted to life imprisonment by Charles
> de Gaulle. Name him.

Pierre Laval

> D2. From 1942 to 1945, he headed a pro-Nazi puppet government
> in Norway. His name has come to mean a person who
> collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Name him.

Vidkun Quisling

> E. Historic Dates
>
> In each case, give the exact date: day, month, and year (or
> yyyy-mm-dd).
>
> E1. US President Franklin Roosevelt called it "a date which will
> live in infamy." When was Pearl Harbor attacked by the
> Japanese?

1941-12-07

> E2. When was "D-Day", the Allied invasion of Normandy?

1944-06-06

> F. Canada and the War
>
> F1. What was the code name for the French beachfront attacked
> by Canadian troops on "D-Day"?

Juno

--
Dan Tilque

Jason Kreitzer

Oct 4, 2015, 11:01:40 AM10/4/15
On Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 12:53:09 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-11,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Literature - Published Posthumously
>
> We give you the year an author died, the title of a book released
> subsequently (in some cases in incomplete form), and the year that
> that work was published. You name the author.
>
> 1. Died 1940; "The Last Tycoon" published 1941 (and retitled
> "The Love of the Last Tycoon" in a later revised edition).
>
> 2. Died 1870; "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" published 1870.
> 3. Died 1817; "Northanger Abbey" published 1817.
> 4. Died 1924; "The Trial" published 1925.
Franz Kafka
> 5. Died 1984; "Answered Prayers" published 1986.
> 6. Died 1938; "You Can't Go Home Again" published 1940.
> 7. Died 1969; "A Confederacy of Dunces" published 1980.
John Kennedy Toole
> 8. Died 1961; "Islands in the Stream" published 1970.
> 9. Died 1964; "The Man with the Golden Gun" published 1965.
Ian Fleming
> 10. Died 1976; "Sleeping Murder" published 1976.
>

> * Game 4, Round 10 - History Challenge Round - The Second World War
>
> This year marks the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II,
> in May in the European theater of war and in August in the Pacific.
> All questions in this round are related to the war.
>
> A. Nicknames of Generals
>
> Which general was nicknamed:
>
> A1. ...Ol' Blood and Guts?
George Patton
> A2. ...the Desert Fox?
Erwin Rommel

> B. War Novels
>
> B1. Author Kurt Vonnegut Jr. used the firebombing of what city
> as a central event in his novel "Slaughterhouse-Five"?
Dresden

> B2. Author Norman Mailer made his debut with what 1948
> novel, which follows a platoon fighting for possession
> of a Japanese-held island?
The Naked and The Dead

> C. Best Picture Oscar Winners
>
> In each case, name the movie. They each won Best Picture and
> other Oscars.
>
> C1. This 1946 film, which won 7 Oscars, focuses on three American
> servicemen struggling to readjust to civilian life after
> the war. Its cast includes Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy,
> Fredric March, Teresa Wright, and Harold Russell.
The Best Years Of Our Lives

> C2. This 1953 film, which won 8 Oscars, focuses on military
> men and the women in their lives in Honolulu during the
> months before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The cast
> includes Montgomery Clift, Burt Lancaster, Frank Sinatra,
> Deborah Kerr, and Donna Reed.
From Here To Eternity

> D. Collaborators
>
> D1. A hero of the First World War, he headed the Vichy government
> of France from 1940 to 1944, a regime notorious for
> collaborating with the Nazis. His postwar death sentence
> for treason was commuted to life imprisonment by Charles
> de Gaulle. Name him.
>
> D2. From 1942 to 1945, he headed a pro-Nazi puppet government
> in Norway. His name has come to mean a person who
> collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Name him.
Quisling

> E. Historic Dates
>
> In each case, give the exact date: day, month, and year (or
> yyyy-mm-dd).
>
> E1. US President Franklin Roosevelt called it "a date which will
> live in infamy." When was Pearl Harbor attacked by the
> Japanese?
December 7, 1941

Peter Smyth

Oct 4, 2015, 5:18:01 PM10/4/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-11,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Literature - Published Posthumously
>
> We give you the year an author died, the title of a book released
> subsequently (in some cases in incomplete form), and the year that
> that work was published. You name the author.
>
> 1. Died 1940; "The Last Tycoon" published 1941 (and retitled
> "The Love of the Last Tycoon" in a later revised edition).
>
> 2. Died 1870; "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" published 1870.
Charles Dickens
> 3. Died 1817; "Northanger Abbey" published 1817.
Jane Austen
> 4. Died 1924; "The Trial" published 1925.
Franz Kafka
> 5. Died 1984; "Answered Prayers" published 1986.
> 6. Died 1938; "You Can't Go Home Again" published 1940.
> 7. Died 1969; "A Confederacy of Dunces" published 1980.
> 8. Died 1961; "Islands in the Stream" published 1970.
Dolly Parton
> 9. Died 1964; "The Man with the Golden Gun" published 1965.
Ian Fleming
> 10. Died 1976; "Sleeping Murder" published 1976.
>

> * Game 4, Round 10 - History Challenge Round - The Second World War
>
> This year marks the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II,
> in May in the European theater of war and in August in the Pacific.
> All questions in this round are related to the war.
>
> A. Nicknames of Generals
>
> Which general was nicknamed:
>
> A1. ...Ol' Blood and Guts?
> A2. ...the Desert Fox?
Rommel

> B. War Novels
>
> B1. Author Kurt Vonnegut Jr. used the firebombing of what city
> as a central event in his novel "Slaughterhouse-Five"?
Dresden
> B2. Author Norman Mailer made his debut with what 1948
> novel, which follows a platoon fighting for possession
> of a Japanese-held island?
>
> C. Best Picture Oscar Winners
>
> In each case, name the movie. They each won Best Picture and
> other Oscars.
>
> C1. This 1946 film, which won 7 Oscars, focuses on three American
> servicemen struggling to readjust to civilian life after
> the war. Its cast includes Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy,
> Fredric March, Teresa Wright, and Harold Russell.
>
> C2. This 1953 film, which won 8 Oscars, focuses on military
> men and the women in their lives in Honolulu during the
> months before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The cast
> includes Montgomery Clift, Burt Lancaster, Frank Sinatra,
> Deborah Kerr, and Donna Reed.
>
> D. Collaborators
>
> D1. A hero of the First World War, he headed the Vichy government
> of France from 1940 to 1944, a regime notorious for
> collaborating with the Nazis. His postwar death sentence
> for treason was commuted to life imprisonment by Charles
> de Gaulle. Name him.
Petain
> D2. From 1942 to 1945, he headed a pro-Nazi puppet government
> in Norway. His name has come to mean a person who
> collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Name him.
Quisling
> E. Historic Dates
>
> In each case, give the exact date: day, month, and year (or
> yyyy-mm-dd).
>
> E1. US President Franklin Roosevelt called it "a date which will
> live in infamy." When was Pearl Harbor attacked by the
> Japanese?
>
> E2. When was "D-Day", the Allied invasion of Normandy?
>
> F. Canada and the War
>
> F1. What was the code name for the French beachfront attacked
> by Canadian troops on "D-Day"?
Juno
> F2. Officially it was Special Training School 103, but what
> name is more popularly given to the espionage and commando
> training installation located on the shore of Lake Ontario
> between Whitby and Oshawa?

Peter Smyth

Calvin

Oct 4, 2015, 6:44:48 PM10/4/15
On Sunday, October 4, 2015 at 2:53:09 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Literature - Published Posthumously
>
> We give you the year an author died, the title of a book released
> subsequently (in some cases in incomplete form), and the year that
> that work was published. You name the author.
>
> 1. Died 1940; "The Last Tycoon" published 1941 (and retitled
> "The Love of the Last Tycoon" in a later revised edition).
>
> 2. Died 1870; "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" published 1870.

Dickens

> 3. Died 1817; "Northanger Abbey" published 1817.

Austen

> 4. Died 1924; "The Trial" published 1925.

Kafka

> 5. Died 1984; "Answered Prayers" published 1986.
> 6. Died 1938; "You Can't Go Home Again" published 1940.
> 7. Died 1969; "A Confederacy of Dunces" published 1980.
> 8. Died 1961; "Islands in the Stream" published 1970.
> 9. Died 1964; "The Man with the Golden Gun" published 1965.

Fleming

> 10. Died 1976; "Sleeping Murder" published 1976.
>

> * Game 4, Round 10 - History Challenge Round - The Second World War
>
> This year marks the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II,
> in May in the European theater of war and in August in the Pacific.
> All questions in this round are related to the war.
>
> A. Nicknames of Generals
>
> Which general was nicknamed:
>
> A1. ...Ol' Blood and Guts?

Patton

> A2. ...the Desert Fox?

Rommel

> B. War Novels
>
> B1. Author Kurt Vonnegut Jr. used the firebombing of what city
> as a central event in his novel "Slaughterhouse-Five"?

Dresden

> B2. Author Norman Mailer made his debut with what 1948
> novel, which follows a platoon fighting for possession
> of a Japanese-held island?

The Thin Red Line?

> C. Best Picture Oscar Winners
>
> In each case, name the movie. They each won Best Picture and
> other Oscars.
>
> C1. This 1946 film, which won 7 Oscars, focuses on three American
> servicemen struggling to readjust to civilian life after
> the war. Its cast includes Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy,
> Fredric March, Teresa Wright, and Harold Russell.
>
> C2. This 1953 film, which won 8 Oscars, focuses on military
> men and the women in their lives in Honolulu during the
> months before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The cast
> includes Montgomery Clift, Burt Lancaster, Frank Sinatra,
> Deborah Kerr, and Donna Reed.

From Here to Eternity

> D. Collaborators
>
> D1. A hero of the First World War, he headed the Vichy government
> of France from 1940 to 1944, a regime notorious for
> collaborating with the Nazis. His postwar death sentence
> for treason was commuted to life imprisonment by Charles
> de Gaulle. Name him.
>
> D2. From 1942 to 1945, he headed a pro-Nazi puppet government
> in Norway. His name has come to mean a person who
> collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Name him.

Quisling

> E. Historic Dates
>
> In each case, give the exact date: day, month, and year (or
> yyyy-mm-dd).
>
> E1. US President Franklin Roosevelt called it "a date which will
> live in infamy." When was Pearl Harbor attacked by the
> Japanese?

> E2. When was "D-Day", the Allied invasion of Normandy?

> F. Canada and the War
>
> F1. What was the code name for the French beachfront attacked
> by Canadian troops on "D-Day"?

Omaha, Gold

> F2. Officially it was Special Training School 103, but what
> name is more popularly given to the espionage and commando
> training installation located on the shore of Lake Ontario
> between Whitby and Oshawa?

Braderville.

cheers,
calvin

Pete

Oct 5, 2015, 3:39:53 PM10/5/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:9_6dnZEin5ApLY3LnZ2dnUU7-
e2d...@vex.net:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-11,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Literature - Published Posthumously
>
> We give you the year an author died, the title of a book released
> subsequently (in some cases in incomplete form), and the year that
> that work was published. You name the author.
>
> 1. Died 1940; "The Last Tycoon" published 1941 (and retitled
> "The Love of the Last Tycoon" in a later revised edition).
>
> 2. Died 1870; "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" published 1870.

Dickens

> 3. Died 1817; "Northanger Abbey" published 1817.
> 4. Died 1924; "The Trial" published 1925.
> 5. Died 1984; "Answered Prayers" published 1986.
> 6. Died 1938; "You Can't Go Home Again" published 1940.
> 7. Died 1969; "A Confederacy of Dunces" published 1980.
> 8. Died 1961; "Islands in the Stream" published 1970.
> 9. Died 1964; "The Man with the Golden Gun" published 1965.

Fleming

> 10. Died 1976; "Sleeping Murder" published 1976.
>

> * Game 4, Round 10 - History Challenge Round - The Second World War
>
> This year marks the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II,
> in May in the European theater of war and in August in the Pacific.
> All questions in this round are related to the war.
>
> A. Nicknames of Generals
>
> Which general was nicknamed:
>
> A1. ...Ol' Blood and Guts?

Patton

> A2. ...the Desert Fox?

Rommel

> B. War Novels
>
> B1. Author Kurt Vonnegut Jr. used the firebombing of what city
> as a central event in his novel "Slaughterhouse-Five"?

Dresden

> B2. Author Norman Mailer made his debut with what 1948
> novel, which follows a platoon fighting for possession
> of a Japanese-held island?
>
> C. Best Picture Oscar Winners
>
> In each case, name the movie. They each won Best Picture and
> other Oscars.
>
> C1. This 1946 film, which won 7 Oscars, focuses on three American
> servicemen struggling to readjust to civilian life after
> the war. Its cast includes Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy,
> Fredric March, Teresa Wright, and Harold Russell.

The Best Years of Our Lives

> C2. This 1953 film, which won 8 Oscars, focuses on military
> men and the women in their lives in Honolulu during the
> months before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The cast
> includes Montgomery Clift, Burt Lancaster, Frank Sinatra,
> Deborah Kerr, and Donna Reed.

From Here to Eternity

> D. Collaborators
>
> D1. A hero of the First World War, he headed the Vichy government
> of France from 1940 to 1944, a regime notorious for
> collaborating with the Nazis. His postwar death sentence
> for treason was commuted to life imprisonment by Charles
> de Gaulle. Name him.

Petain

> D2. From 1942 to 1945, he headed a pro-Nazi puppet government
> in Norway. His name has come to mean a person who
> collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Name him.

Quisling

> E. Historic Dates
>
> In each case, give the exact date: day, month, and year (or
> yyyy-mm-dd).
>
> E1. US President Franklin Roosevelt called it "a date which will
> live in infamy." When was Pearl Harbor attacked by the
> Japanese?

1941-12-07

> E2. When was "D-Day", the Allied invasion of Normandy?

1944-06-06

> F. Canada and the War
>
> F1. What was the code name for the French beachfront attacked
> by Canadian troops on "D-Day"?

Sword

> F2. Officially it was Special Training School 103, but what
> name is more popularly given to the espionage and commando
> training installation located on the shore of Lake Ontario
> between Whitby and Oshawa?

Pete

Mark Brader

Oct 7, 2015, 3:50:05 AM10/7/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-11,
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 4 is over and the winner by a margin of 30 points is JOSHUA
KREITZER. Well done! Hearty congratulations!

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Literature - Published Posthumously

> We give you the year an author died, the title of a book released
> subsequently (in some cases in incomplete form), and the year that
> that work was published. You name the author.

> 1. Died 1940; "The Last Tycoon" published 1941 (and retitled
> "The Love of the Last Tycoon" in a later revised edition).

F. Scott Fitzgerald. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Marc.

> 2. Died 1870; "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" published 1870.

Charles Dickens. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Peter, Calvin,
and Pete.

> 3. Died 1817; "Northanger Abbey" published 1817.

Jane Austen. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, and Calvin.

> 4. Died 1924; "The Trial" published 1925.

Franz Kafka. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, Marc, Björn, Jason,
Peter, and Calvin.

> 5. Died 1984; "Answered Prayers" published 1986.

Truman Capote. 4 for Joshua.

> 6. Died 1938; "You Can't Go Home Again" published 1940.

Thomas Wolfe. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Marc.

> 7. Died 1969; "A Confederacy of Dunces" published 1980.

John Kennedy Toole. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Dan Tilque, and Jason.
3 for Dan Blum.

> 8. Died 1961; "Islands in the Stream" published 1970.

Ernest Hemingway. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. Died 1964; "The Man with the Golden Gun" published 1965.

Ian Fleming. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, Marc,
Dan Tilque, Björn, Jason, Peter, Calvin, and Pete.

> 10. Died 1976; "Sleeping Murder" published 1976.

Agatha Christie. 4 for Joshua and Björn.

Whereas some of the other books (as noted) were published in whatever
incomplete form the author's death left them in, "Sleeping Murder"
was actually written about 35 years earlier, during Christie's most
prolific period. At that time she secretly wrote two complete novels
to be set aside for the eventual benefit of her heirs: this one with
Jane Marple, and "Curtain" with Hercule Poirot.

At the time she intended both books for posthumous publication,
but in 1975 she changed her mind and decided that post-retirement
publication would be sufficient; accordingly, "Curtain" was published
while she was still alive. She did not, however, survive to see
the publication of "Sleeping Murder" the following year.

> * Game 4, Round 10 - History Challenge Round - The Second World War

> This year marks the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II,
> in May in the European theater of war and in August in the Pacific.
> All questions in this round are related to the war.

> A. Nicknames of Generals

> Which general was nicknamed:

> A1. ...Ol' Blood and Guts?

George S. Patton. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Jason, Calvin,
and Pete. 2 for Joshua.

> A2. ...the Desert Fox?

Erwin Rommel. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Dan Tilque, Björn,
Jason, Peter, Calvin, and Pete.

> B. War Novels

> B1. Author Kurt Vonnegut Jr. used the firebombing of what city
> as a central event in his novel "Slaughterhouse-Five"?

Dresden. 4 for everyone.

> B2. Author Norman Mailer made his debut with what 1948
> novel, which follows a platoon fighting for possession
> of a Japanese-held island?

"The Naked and the Dead". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Jason.

> C. Best Picture Oscar Winners

> In each case, name the movie. They each won Best Picture and
> other Oscars.

> C1. This 1946 film, which won 7 Oscars, focuses on three American
> servicemen struggling to readjust to civilian life after
> the war. Its cast includes Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy,
> Fredric March, Teresa Wright, and Harold Russell.

"The Best Years of Our Lives". 4 for Joshua, Marc, Jason, and Pete.

> C2. This 1953 film, which won 8 Oscars, focuses on military
> men and the women in their lives in Honolulu during the
> months before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The cast
> includes Montgomery Clift, Burt Lancaster, Frank Sinatra,
> Deborah Kerr, and Donna Reed.

"From Here to Eternity". 4 for Joshua, Marc, Jason, Calvin, and Pete.

> D. Collaborators

> D1. A hero of the First World War, he headed the Vichy government
> of France from 1940 to 1944, a regime notorious for
> collaborating with the Nazis. His postwar death sentence
> for treason was commuted to life imprisonment by Charles
> de Gaulle. Name him.

Marshal Henri-Philippe Pétain. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland,
Björn, Peter, and Pete.

> D2. From 1942 to 1945, he headed a pro-Nazi puppet government
> in Norway. His name has come to mean a person who
> collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Name him.

Vikdun Quisling (cf. Calvin's Quiz #409). 4 for everyone.

> E. Historic Dates

> In each case, give the exact date: day, month, and year (or
> yyyy-mm-dd).

> E1. US President Franklin Roosevelt called it "a date which will
> live in infamy." When was Pearl Harbor attacked by the
> Japanese?

1941-12-07. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Dan Tilque, Björn, Jason,
Calvin, and Pete.

> E2. When was "D-Day", the Allied invasion of Normandy?

1944-06-06. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Dan Tilque, Björn,
Calvin, and Pete.

> F. Canada and the War

> F1. What was the code name for the French beachfront attacked
> by Canadian troops on "D-Day"?

Juno. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Björn, and Peter. 2 for Dan Blum.

> F2. Officially it was Special Training School 103, but what
> name is more popularly given to the espionage and commando
> training installation located on the shore of Lake Ontario
> between Whitby and Oshawa?

Camp X.

And hence the name of a current Canadian TV series featuring Canadian
secret agents in occupied France during the war, "X Company".

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci Ent Spo Mis Geo Lit Cha FIVE
Joshua Kreitzer 18 36 0 31 7 40 42 167
Dan Blum 27 22 3 23 12 31 34 137
Marc Dashevsky 40 20 7 24 12 24 28 136
Dan Tilque 32 12 0 24 12 8 28 108
Pete Gayde 19 8 11 21 14 8 36 101
Peter Smyth 20 12 -- -- 32 16 20 100
Björn Lundin 24 4 0 12 8 12 28 84
"Calvin" -- -- 0 10 13 16 28 67
Jason Kreitzer 8 12 0 0 -- 12 32 64
Erland Sommarskog 24 4 -- -- 8 8 12 56
Gareth Owen 17 28 -- -- -- -- -- 45

--
Mark Brader "Also, be sure to include your signature TWICE in
Toronto each article. That way you're sure people will

Björn Lundin

Oct 7, 2015, 5:23:07 PM10/7/15
On 2015-10-07 09:50, Mark Brader wrote:
>> D2. From 1942 to 1945, he headed a pro-Nazi puppet government
>> > in Norway. His name has come to mean a person who
>> > collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Name him.
> Vikdun Quisling (cf. Calvin's Quiz #409). 4 for everyone.

Vidkun that is

Björn

Mark Brader

Oct 7, 2015, 5:36:19 PM10/7/15
Mark Brader:
>>> D2. From 1942 to 1945, he headed a pro-Nazi puppet government
>> Vikdun Quisling (cf. Calvin's Quiz #409). 4 for everyone.

Björn Lundin:
> Vidkun that is

sA yuo sya.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Let us knot coin gnu werds huitch
m...@vex.net are spelld rong." -- Rik Fischer Smoody

Gareth Owen

Oct 11, 2015, 1:07:13 PM10/11/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. Died 1940; "The Last Tycoon" published 1941 (and retitled
> "The Love of the Last Tycoon" in a later revised edition).

F Scott Fitzgerald

> 2. Died 1870; "The Mystery of Edwin Drood" published 1870.

Dickens

> 3. Died 1817; "Northanger Abbey" published 1817.

Austen

> 4. Died 1924; "The Trial" published 1925.

Kafka

> 5. Died 1984; "Answered Prayers" published 1986.
> 6. Died 1938; "You Can't Go Home Again" published 1940.
> 7. Died 1969; "A Confederacy of Dunces" published 1980.

Toole

> 8. Died 1961; "Islands in the Stream" published 1970.

Kenny Loggins

> 9. Died 1964; "The Man with the Golden Gun" published 1965.

Fleming

> 10. Died 1976; "Sleeping Murder" published 1976.

Chandler, Hammett

> * Game 4, Round 10 - History Challenge Round - The Second World War
>
> This year marks the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II,
> in May in the European theater of war and in August in the Pacific.
> All questions in this round are related to the war.
>
> A. Nicknames of Generals
>
> Which general was nicknamed:
>
> A1. ...Ol' Blood and Guts?

Patton

> A2. ...the Desert Fox?

Rommel

> B. War Novels
>
> B1. Author Kurt Vonnegut Jr. used the firebombing of what city
> as a central event in his novel "Slaughterhouse-Five"?

Dresden

> B2. Author Norman Mailer made his debut with what 1948
> novel, which follows a platoon fighting for possession
> of a Japanese-held island?

The Naked and the Dead

> C. Best Picture Oscar Winners
>
> In each case, name the movie. They each won Best Picture and
> other Oscars.
>
> C1. This 1946 film, which won 7 Oscars, focuses on three American
> servicemen struggling to readjust to civilian life after
> the war. Its cast includes Dana Andrews, Myrna Loy,
> Fredric March, Teresa Wright, and Harold Russell.
>
> C2. This 1953 film, which won 8 Oscars, focuses on military
> men and the women in their lives in Honolulu during the
> months before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. The cast
> includes Montgomery Clift, Burt Lancaster, Frank Sinatra,
> Deborah Kerr, and Donna Reed.

From Beer to Maternity

> D. Collaborators
>
> D1. A hero of the First World War, he headed the Vichy government
> of France from 1940 to 1944, a regime notorious for
> collaborating with the Nazis. His postwar death sentence
> for treason was commuted to life imprisonment by Charles
> de Gaulle. Name him.

Petain

> D2. From 1942 to 1945, he headed a pro-Nazi puppet government
> in Norway. His name has come to mean a person who
> collaborates with an enemy occupying force. Name him.

Quisling

> E. Historic Dates
>
> In each case, give the exact date: day, month, and year (or
> yyyy-mm-dd).
>
> E1. US President Franklin Roosevelt called it "a date which will
> live in infamy." When was Pearl Harbor attacked by the
> Japanese?

1941-12-07

> E2. When was "D-Day", the Allied invasion of Normandy?

1944-06-06

> F. Canada and the War
>
> F1. What was the code name for the French beachfront attacked
> by Canadian troops on "D-Day"?

Juno, Sword

> F2. Officially it was Special Training School 103, but what
> name is more popularly given to the espionage and commando
> training installation located on the shore of Lake Ontario
> between Whitby and Oshawa?

Cape Bastard

Mark Brader

Oct 11, 2015, 5:17:15 PM10/11/15
If Gareth Owen had posted his answers on time, he would have received
24 points on Round 9 and (with a grumble) 39 on Round 10.
--
Mark Brader | "In fact, that's not a bad epitaph.
Toronto | Dennis Ritchie: he did one job, and he did it well."