RQFTCICR14 Game 6, Rounds 5-6: their own works, our own north

Mark Brader

Apr 8, 2023, 1:31:01 AM4/8/23
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-24,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Round 4 of this game was essentially a second current-events round,
about the 2014 Olympics, so I'm reducing it to an excerpt as usual
for current-events rounds in RQFTCI. But you're still getting
two rounds in this set, because the audio round featured clues
sufficiently long and detailed that I thought it would be playable
without the audio.

* Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics (excerpt)

Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. This nation won 24 medals including 8 golds, despite sending only
41 athletes to Sochi. 23 of the medals were in speed skating
and the other one was in short-track speed skating. Name the
country.

2. Name the skipper of either of Canada's gold-medal-winning
curling teams.

* Game 6, Round 5 - Audio - Composers Performing their Own Works

We will provide a brief biography of a composer performing music
he wrote. (Yes, again they're all men.) We then play the clip of
the music. (Sorry, you'll have to imagine that part.) You tell
us the name of the composer/performer. Note: some of these were
recorded on piano rolls!

1. This American bandleader, composer, and bassist died in 1979 at
age 56. He was known as the "Angry Man of Jazz". His music was
rooted in gospel and blues and he greatly admired of the music
of Duke Ellington. He was one of the great bassists of his time.

2. Another American bandleader, composer, and trumpet player,
he was born in 1925 and died in 1991. He associated with almost
all of the greats of the modern jazz era and changed his musical
style many times. One of his many albums is the best-selling
jazz recording of all time.

3. This African-American composer and pianist, known as the "King
of Ragtime", died in 1917. As well as numerous "rags",
he composed music for ballet and opera, and was awarded a
posthumous Pulitzer Prize in 1976.

4. This French composer, who lived 1875-1937, was one of the great
figures associated with "Impressionistic Music". He was the son
of a Swiss inventor and a Basque musical mother. His works for
piano, chamber groups, and orchestra became standard concert
repertoire and are known for their strong melodies, musical
textures, and effects.

5. This jazz pianist and composer who lived 1917-82 is considered
one of the greats of American music and is the next most
frequently recorded jazz composer after Duke Ellington.
Unorthodox even in dress and behavior, he wrote music that
combines a highly percussive attack with dramatic hesitations
and silences. He was featured on the cover of "Time" magazine
and was awarded the Pulitzer Prize posthumously.

6. This Canadian composer and pianist lived 1925-2007. Called the
"Maharaja of the Keyboard" by Duke Ellington, he was classically
trained and also played with many of the jazz greats of his
era. He wrote and performed for piano, jazz trio, quartets,
and big bands; he composed several songs, jazz piano etudes,
and a suite of music called "The Canadiana Suite".

7. Born 1907, died 1994, an American jazz singer and bandleader,
he composed and performed music over a long career. As a
bandleader, he employed many of the day's jazz greats and was
strongly associated with Harlem's Cotton Club. Notable for his
scat-singing and dancing, he appeared in films and his music
was used in animated cartoons.

8. Born 1910, died 2004, the only child of Jewish immigrants
from Russia. This swing-era bandleader was known as the "King
of the Clarinet" and led one of the first racially integrated
bands. He was also an author of both fiction and non-fiction
and performed classical music with the New York Philharmonic
under Leonard Bernstein. He was an early proponent of the
"Third Stream", which blended classical and jazz styles.

9. Born 1904, died 1943, he was an influential jazz pianist,
singer, and composer. He wrote or co-wrote over 400 songs,
many of which he sold to other performers. He was regarded as a
great performer and was known for his quips during performances.
Around 1925 he recorded a series of solo pipe-organ albums.

10. Born in 1910 to a Belgian Romani family, he died in 1953.
He is regarded as one of the great jazz guitarists and was the
first European to influence jazz. Many of his compositions
have become jazz standards. His virtuosity on the guitar is
even more remarkable because he had only two usable fingers on
his left hand.

* Game 6, Round 6 - Canadiana Geography - Canadian Arctic and Far North

As Torontonians continue to suffer through a deep freeze and
challenging winter, this round turns our attention toward Canada's
Arctic -- where our temperatures would seem balmy!

1. The northernmost permanent settlement in the world is located
on the northeastern tip of Ellesmere I. What is it called?

2. Within 3°C, what is the average daily *low* temperature in
<answer 1> in February?

3. The word Arctic comes from the Greek word "arktikos", meaning
"near the Bear" or "northern", and what it's referring to
is one of two constellations. Give the full name *in Latin*
of either of those constellations.

4. Besides Canada, how many other countries """extend""" -- or
"""have""" territories that extend -- into the Arctic as defined
by the Arctic Circle?

5. This lake, which extends north of the Arctic Circle, is the
largest lake that is entirely in Canada, the 4th-largest in
North America, and the 8th-largest in the world. Name it.

6. Baffin I. is the largest land mass among the """36,563"""
islands of Canada's Arctic Archipelago. What is the
second-largest?

7. Rank the three territories from *highest to lowest population*
according to the """2011""" census. If you make two guesses,
please give two complete lists of three, all on one line.
*Note*: You may instead answer based on the 2021 census, and
you need not say whether you are doing so.

8. Only one public road in Canada crosses the Arctic Circle.
Give its name (not its highway number).

9. The Franklin Expedition left England in 1845 and never returned.
All 128 men were lost after the ships became icebound in the
Victoria Strait. Remains of the expedition have been found
"""on two Canadian Arctic islands.""" Name *either* island.

10. This strait, named after a British 16th-century explorer, is
a northern arm of the Labrador Sea and lies between Baffin I.
and mid-western Greenland. Name it.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Show that 17x17 = 289. Generalise this result."
m...@vex.net | -- Carl E. Linderholm

Dan Blum

Apr 8, 2023, 9:56:03 AM4/8/23
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 5 - Audio - Composers Performing their Own Works

> 1. This American bandleader, composer, and bassist died in 1979 at
> age 56. He was known as the "Angry Man of Jazz". His music was
> rooted in gospel and blues and he greatly admired of the music
> of Duke Ellington. He was one of the great bassists of his time.

Morton

> 2. Another American bandleader, composer, and trumpet player,
> he was born in 1925 and died in 1991. He associated with almost
> all of the greats of the modern jazz era and changed his musical
> style many times. One of his many albums is the best-selling
> jazz recording of all time.

Armstrong

> 3. This African-American composer and pianist, known as the "King
> of Ragtime", died in 1917. As well as numerous "rags",
> he composed music for ballet and opera, and was awarded a
> posthumous Pulitzer Prize in 1976.

Joplin

> 4. This French composer, who lived 1875-1937, was one of the great
> figures associated with "Impressionistic Music". He was the son
> of a Swiss inventor and a Basque musical mother. His works for
> piano, chamber groups, and orchestra became standard concert
> repertoire and are known for their strong melodies, musical
> textures, and effects.

Saint-Saens

> 5. This jazz pianist and composer who lived 1917-82 is considered
> one of the greats of American music and is the next most
> frequently recorded jazz composer after Duke Ellington.
> Unorthodox even in dress and behavior, he wrote music that
> combines a highly percussive attack with dramatic hesitations
> and silences. He was featured on the cover of "Time" magazine
> and was awarded the Pulitzer Prize posthumously.

Monk

> 7. Born 1907, died 1994, an American jazz singer and bandleader,
> he composed and performed music over a long career. As a
> bandleader, he employed many of the day's jazz greats and was
> strongly associated with Harlem's Cotton Club. Notable for his
> scat-singing and dancing, he appeared in films and his music
> was used in animated cartoons.

Calloway

> 8. Born 1910, died 2004, the only child of Jewish immigrants
> from Russia. This swing-era bandleader was known as the "King
> of the Clarinet" and led one of the first racially integrated
> bands. He was also an author of both fiction and non-fiction
> and performed classical music with the New York Philharmonic
> under Leonard Bernstein. He was an early proponent of the
> "Third Stream", which blended classical and jazz styles.

Goodman

> 10. Born in 1910 to a Belgian Romani family, he died in 1953.
> He is regarded as one of the great jazz guitarists and was the
> first European to influence jazz. Many of his compositions
> have become jazz standards. His virtuosity on the guitar is
> even more remarkable because he had only two usable fingers on
> his left hand.

Reinhardt

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Canadiana Geography - Canadian Arctic and Far North

> 2. Within 3?C, what is the average daily *low* temperature in
> <answer 1> in February?

-45 C

> 3. The word Arctic comes from the Greek word "arktikos", meaning
> "near the Bear" or "northern", and what it's referring to
> is one of two constellations. Give the full name *in Latin*
> of either of those constellations.

Ursa Major

4

> 5. This lake, which extends north of the Arctic Circle, is the
> largest lake that is entirely in Canada, the 4th-largest in
> North America, and the 8th-largest in the world. Name it.

Great Bear Lake; Great Slave Lake

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 9, 2023, 5:41:38 AM4/9/23
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. This nation won 24 medals including 8 golds, despite sending only
> 41 athletes to Sochi. 23 of the medals were in speed skating
> and the other one was in short-track speed skating. Name the
> country.

Netherlands

> * Game 6, Round 5 - Audio - Composers Performing their Own Works
>
> 1. This American bandleader, composer, and bassist died in 1979 at
> age 56. He was known as the "Angry Man of Jazz". His music was
> rooted in gospel and blues and he greatly admired of the music
> of Duke Ellington. He was one of the great bassists of his time.

Charlie Mingus

> 2. Another American bandleader, composer, and trumpet player,
> he was born in 1925 and died in 1991. He associated with almost
> all of the greats of the modern jazz era and changed his musical
> style many times. One of his many albums is the best-selling
> jazz recording of all time.

Miles Davis

> 3. This African-American composer and pianist, known as the "King
> of Ragtime", died in 1917. As well as numerous "rags",
> he composed music for ballet and opera, and was awarded a
> posthumous Pulitzer Prize in 1976.

Scott Joplin

> 4. This French composer, who lived 1875-1937, was one of the great
> figures associated with "Impressionistic Music". He was the son
> of a Swiss inventor and a Basque musical mother. His works for
> piano, chamber groups, and orchestra became standard concert
> repertoire and are known for their strong melodies, musical
> textures, and effects.

Claude Debussy

> 5. This jazz pianist and composer who lived 1917-82 is considered
> one of the greats of American music and is the next most
> frequently recorded jazz composer after Duke Ellington.
> Unorthodox even in dress and behavior, he wrote music that
> combines a highly percussive attack with dramatic hesitations
> and silences. He was featured on the cover of "Time" magazine
> and was awarded the Pulitzer Prize posthumously.

Count Basie

> 7. Born 1907, died 1994, an American jazz singer and bandleader,
> he composed and performed music over a long career. As a
> bandleader, he employed many of the day's jazz greats and was
> strongly associated with Harlem's Cotton Club. Notable for his
> scat-singing and dancing, he appeared in films and his music
> was used in animated cartoons.

Louis Armstrong

> 8. Born 1910, died 2004, the only child of Jewish immigrants
> from Russia. This swing-era bandleader was known as the "King
> of the Clarinet" and led one of the first racially integrated
> bands. He was also an author of both fiction and non-fiction
> and performed classical music with the New York Philharmonic
> under Leonard Bernstein. He was an early proponent of the
> "Third Stream", which blended classical and jazz styles.

Gershwin

> 10. Born in 1910 to a Belgian Romani family, he died in 1953.
> He is regarded as one of the great jazz guitarists and was the
> first European to influence jazz. Many of his compositions
> have become jazz standards. His virtuosity on the guitar is
> even more remarkable because he had only two usable fingers on
> his left hand.

Django Reinhardt

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Canadiana Geography - Canadian Arctic and Far North
>
> 2. Within 3°C, what is the average daily *low* temperature in
> <answer 1> in February?

-35

> 3. The word Arctic comes from the Greek word "arktikos", meaning
> "near the Bear" or "northern", and what it's referring to
> is one of two constellations. Give the full name *in Latin*
> of either of those constellations.

Ursos Major

> 4. Besides Canada, how many other countries """extend""" -- or
> """have""" territories that extend -- into the Arctic as defined
> by the Arctic Circle?

Six - USA, Russia, Greenland, Norway, Sweden, Finland

(It was easier to first type the list and then count.)

> 5. This lake, which extends north of the Arctic Circle, is the
> largest lake that is entirely in Canada, the 4th-largest in
> North America, and the 8th-largest in the world. Name it.

Great Slave Lake

> 7. Rank the three territories from *highest to lowest population*
> according to the """2011""" census. If you make two guesses,
> please give two complete lists of three, all on one line.
> *Note*: You may instead answer based on the 2021 census, and
> you need not say whether you are doing so.

Northwest, Yukon, Iqualit

Pete Gayde

Apr 9, 2023, 2:14:10 PM4/9/23
Mingus

> 2. Another American bandleader, composer, and trumpet player,
> he was born in 1925 and died in 1991. He associated with almost
> all of the greats of the modern jazz era and changed his musical
> style many times. One of his many albums is the best-selling
> jazz recording of all time.

Miles Davis

> 3. This African-American composer and pianist, known as the "King
> of Ragtime", died in 1917. As well as numerous "rags",
> he composed music for ballet and opera, and was awarded a
> posthumous Pulitzer Prize in 1976.

Joplin

> 4. This French composer, who lived 1875-1937, was one of the great
> figures associated with "Impressionistic Music". He was the son
> of a Swiss inventor and a Basque musical mother. His works for
> piano, chamber groups, and orchestra became standard concert
> repertoire and are known for their strong melodies, musical
> textures, and effects.

Ravel

> 5. This jazz pianist and composer who lived 1917-82 is considered
> one of the greats of American music and is the next most
> frequently recorded jazz composer after Duke Ellington.
> Unorthodox even in dress and behavior, he wrote music that
> combines a highly percussive attack with dramatic hesitations
> and silences. He was featured on the cover of "Time" magazine
> and was awarded the Pulitzer Prize posthumously.

Thelonius Monk

> 6. This Canadian composer and pianist lived 1925-2007. Called the
> "Maharaja of the Keyboard" by Duke Ellington, he was classically
> trained and also played with many of the jazz greats of his
> era. He wrote and performed for piano, jazz trio, quartets,
> and big bands; he composed several songs, jazz piano etudes,
> and a suite of music called "The Canadiana Suite".

Oscar Peterson

> 7. Born 1907, died 1994, an American jazz singer and bandleader,
> he composed and performed music over a long career. As a
> bandleader, he employed many of the day's jazz greats and was
> strongly associated with Harlem's Cotton Club. Notable for his
> scat-singing and dancing, he appeared in films and his music
> was used in animated cartoons.

Cab Calloway

> 8. Born 1910, died 2004, the only child of Jewish immigrants
> from Russia. This swing-era bandleader was known as the "King
> of the Clarinet" and led one of the first racially integrated
> bands. He was also an author of both fiction and non-fiction
> and performed classical music with the New York Philharmonic
> under Leonard Bernstein. He was an early proponent of the
> "Third Stream", which blended classical and jazz styles.

Benny Goodman

> 9. Born 1904, died 1943, he was an influential jazz pianist,
> singer, and composer. He wrote or co-wrote over 400 songs,
> many of which he sold to other performers. He was regarded as a
> great performer and was known for his quips during performances.
> Around 1925 he recorded a series of solo pipe-organ albums.

Fats Waller

> 10. Born in 1910 to a Belgian Romani family, he died in 1953.
> He is regarded as one of the great jazz guitarists and was the
> first European to influence jazz. Many of his compositions
> have become jazz standards. His virtuosity on the guitar is
> even more remarkable because he had only two usable fingers on
> his left hand.

Django Reinhardt

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Canadiana Geography - Canadian Arctic and Far North
>
> As Torontonians continue to suffer through a deep freeze and
> challenging winter, this round turns our attention toward Canada's
> Arctic -- where our temperatures would seem balmy!
>
> 1. The northernmost permanent settlement in the world is located
> on the northeastern tip of Ellesmere I. What is it called?
>
> 2. Within 3°C, what is the average daily *low* temperature in
> <answer 1> in February?

-10; -17

> 3. The word Arctic comes from the Greek word "arktikos", meaning
> "near the Bear" or "northern", and what it's referring to
> is one of two constellations. Give the full name *in Latin*
> of either of those constellations.

Ursa majore

5

> 5. This lake, which extends north of the Arctic Circle, is the
> largest lake that is entirely in Canada, the 4th-largest in
> North America, and the 8th-largest in the world. Name it.
>
> 6. Baffin I. is the largest land mass among the """36,563"""
> islands of Canada's Arctic Archipelago. What is the
> second-largest?

Ellesmere

> 7. Rank the three territories from *highest to lowest population*
> according to the """2011""" census. If you make two guesses,
> please give two complete lists of three, all on one line.
> *Note*: You may instead answer based on the 2021 census, and
> you need not say whether you are doing so.
>
> 8. Only one public road in Canada crosses the Arctic Circle.
> Give its name (not its highway number).
>
> 9. The Franklin Expedition left England in 1845 and never returned.
> All 128 men were lost after the ships became icebound in the
> Victoria Strait. Remains of the expedition have been found
> """on two Canadian Arctic islands.""" Name *either* island.
>
> 10. This strait, named after a British 16th-century explorer, is
> a northern arm of the Labrador Sea and lies between Baffin I.
> and mid-western Greenland. Name it.

Pete Gayde

Pete Gayde

Apr 9, 2023, 2:16:31 PM4/9/23
According to my SeaMonkey app, I sent the following reply at 1:00pm on
4/7/2023. Apparently it hasn't arrived yet.

Mark Brader wrote:>> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto
on 2014-02-24,
>> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
>> by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
>> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
>> answers in about 3 days.
>>
>> For further information, including an explanation of the """
>> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
>> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
>> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Rob Ford voted against allowing restaurants to serve alcohol
> during yesterday's gold-medal hockey game because, he said, it
> wouldn't be fair to what businesses?
>
> 2. British researchers found that a saliva test measuring levels
> of the hormone cortisol in teenage boys could identify those
> at high risk of suffering from what condition?
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Science - Astronomy
>
> 1. What is the brightest star in the night sky?

Polaris; Sirius

> 2. This American astronomer was a strong proponent of the idea
> of the existence of canals on Mars and built an observatory to
> pursue this. He also initiated the search that led in 1930,
> 14 years after his death, to the discovery of Pluto. Who was he?
>
> 3. A professor of astronomy at Cornell University, he wrote a
> science-fiction novel called "Contact" that was made into
> a movie starring Jodie Foster. Who?
>
> 4. SNOLAB is an observatory located in Sudbury, Ontario. What type
> of particles are observed at SNOLAB?
>
> 5. Who was the first man to complete an orbit of the Earth in
> space, in 1961?

Gagarin

> 6. What was the name of the first mammal to orbit the Earth
> in space?
>
> 7. What point on the celestial sphere is directly opposite the
> nadir?
>
> 8. What phenomenon would you be observing if you saw Baily's Beads
> and the Diamond Ring Effect? Be fully specific.
>
> 9. Our Milky Way Galaxy has a number of satellite galaxies, such as
> the Magellanic Clouds. What, however, is the closest independent
> galaxy to the Milky Way, at a distance of 2,500,000 light years?

Andromeda

> 10. What famous British pop star completed his Ph.D. thesis in
> astrophysics -- "A survey of Radial Velocities in the Zodiacal
> Dust Cloud" -- in October 2007, 30 years after he commenced it?

Brian May

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - Bee All That You Can Bee
>
> Here are pictures of bees and bee products in popular culture,
> real or fictional. Please remember that there are different uses
> of the word "bee".
>
> See the 2-page handout at: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/6-3/bee.pdf
>
> As usual, for this medium I'll rearrange the questions in order by
> picture number. There were 6 decoys; identify their subjects as
> well if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. (decoy) Name the movie.

Spelling Bee

> 2. Name the band. Hint: look at the man in the center of the photo.

Bee Gees

> 3. Name the character from "The Simpsons".

Bee Man

> 4. (decoy) Name the song.
> 5. Name the TV show, which was followed by two movies.

X Files

> 6. (decoy) Name the movie.

Ulee's Gold

> 7. Name the movie, partly based on the book "Queen Bees and
> Wannabes".

Mean Girls

> 8. Name the movie.
> 9. Name the movie, adapted from a book of the same title.
> 10. (decoy) Name the mammal.
> 11. (decoy) Name the man in the center.
> 12. Name the cereal.

Honey Bunches of Oats

> 13. Name the movie.
> 14. Name the TV show.
> 15. (decoy) Name the movie.
> 16. Name the movie.

Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 9, 2023, 4:47:59 PM4/9/23
On Saturday, April 8, 2023 at 12:31:01 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 5 - Audio - Composers Performing their Own Works
>
> We will provide a brief biography of a composer performing music
> he wrote. (Yes, again they're all men.) We then play the clip of
> the music. (Sorry, you'll have to imagine that part.) You tell
> us the name of the composer/performer.
>
> 2. Another American bandleader, composer, and trumpet player,
> he was born in 1925 and died in 1991. He associated with almost
> all of the greats of the modern jazz era and changed his musical
> style many times. One of his many albums is the best-selling
> jazz recording of all time.

Miles Davis

> 3. This African-American composer and pianist, known as the "King
> of Ragtime", died in 1917. As well as numerous "rags",
> he composed music for ballet and opera, and was awarded a
> posthumous Pulitzer Prize in 1976.

Scott Joplin

> 5. This jazz pianist and composer who lived 1917-82 is considered
> one of the greats of American music and is the next most
> frequently recorded jazz composer after Duke Ellington.
> Unorthodox even in dress and behavior, he wrote music that
> combines a highly percussive attack with dramatic hesitations
> and silences. He was featured on the cover of "Time" magazine
> and was awarded the Pulitzer Prize posthumously.

Thelonious Monk

> 7. Born 1907, died 1994, an American jazz singer and bandleader,
> he composed and performed music over a long career. As a
> bandleader, he employed many of the day's jazz greats and was
> strongly associated with Harlem's Cotton Club. Notable for his
> scat-singing and dancing, he appeared in films and his music
> was used in animated cartoons.

Cab Calloway

> 8. Born 1910, died 2004, the only child of Jewish immigrants
> from Russia. This swing-era bandleader was known as the "King
> of the Clarinet" and led one of the first racially integrated
> bands. He was also an author of both fiction and non-fiction
> and performed classical music with the New York Philharmonic
> under Leonard Bernstein. He was an early proponent of the
> "Third Stream", which blended classical and jazz styles.

Benny Goodman

> 10. Born in 1910 to a Belgian Romani family, he died in 1953.
> He is regarded as one of the great jazz guitarists and was the
> first European to influence jazz. Many of his compositions
> have become jazz standards. His virtuosity on the guitar is
> even more remarkable because he had only two usable fingers on
> his left hand.

Django Reinhardt

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Canadiana Geography - Canadian Arctic and Far North
>
> As Torontonians continue to suffer through a deep freeze and
> challenging winter, this round turns our attention toward Canada's
> Arctic -- where our temperatures would seem balmy!
>
> 1. The northernmost permanent settlement in the world is located
> on the northeastern tip of Ellesmere I. What is it called?

Alert

> 3. The word Arctic comes from the Greek word "arktikos", meaning
> "near the Bear" or "northern", and what it's referring to
> is one of two constellations. Give the full name *in Latin*
> of either of those constellations.

Ursa Major

> 4. Besides Canada, how many other countries """extend""" -- or
> """have""" territories that extend -- into the Arctic as defined
> by the Arctic Circle?

7; 6

> 5. This lake, which extends north of the Arctic Circle, is the
> largest lake that is entirely in Canada, the 4th-largest in
> North America, and the 8th-largest in the world. Name it.

Great Bear Lake

> 7. Rank the three territories from *highest to lowest population*
> according to the """2011""" census. If you make two guesses,
> please give two complete lists of three, all on one line.
> *Note*: You may instead answer based on the 2021 census, and
> you need not say whether you are doing so.

[first guess] Yukon; Northwest Terr.; Nunavut. [second guess] Yukon; Nunavut; Northwest Terr.

> 10. This strait, named after a British 16th-century explorer, is
> a northern arm of the Labrador Sea and lies between Baffin I.
> and mid-western Greenland. Name it.

Hudson Strait

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Apr 10, 2023, 2:32:22 AM4/10/23
On 4/7/23 22:30, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. This nation won 24 medals including 8 golds, despite sending only
> 41 athletes to Sochi. 23 of the medals were in speed skating
> and the other one was in short-track speed skating. Name the
> country.

South Korea

> 2. Name the skipper of either of Canada's gold-medal-winning
> curling teams.
>

> * Game 6, Round 5 - Audio - Composers Performing their Own Works
>
> We will provide a brief biography of a composer performing music
> he wrote. (Yes, again they're all men.) We then play the clip of
> the music. (Sorry, you'll have to imagine that part.) You tell
> us the name of the composer/performer. Note: some of these were
> recorded on piano rolls!
>
> 1. This American bandleader, composer, and bassist died in 1979 at
> age 56. He was known as the "Angry Man of Jazz". His music was
> rooted in gospel and blues and he greatly admired of the music
> of Duke Ellington. He was one of the great bassists of his time.
>
> 2. Another American bandleader, composer, and trumpet player,
> he was born in 1925 and died in 1991. He associated with almost
> all of the greats of the modern jazz era and changed his musical
> style many times. One of his many albums is the best-selling
> jazz recording of all time.
>
> 3. This African-American composer and pianist, known as the "King
> of Ragtime", died in 1917. As well as numerous "rags",
> he composed music for ballet and opera, and was awarded a
> posthumous Pulitzer Prize in 1976.

Scott Joplin
Alert

> 2. Within 3°C, what is the average daily *low* temperature in
> <answer 1> in February?

-34 C

6

> 5. This lake, which extends north of the Arctic Circle, is the
> largest lake that is entirely in Canada, the 4th-largest in
> North America, and the 8th-largest in the world. Name it.

Great Bear Lake

> 6. Baffin I. is the largest land mass among the """36,563"""
> islands of Canada's Arctic Archipelago. What is the
> second-largest?

Ellesmere Island

> 7. Rank the three territories from *highest to lowest population*
> according to the """2011""" census. If you make two guesses,
> please give two complete lists of three, all on one line.
> *Note*: You may instead answer based on the 2021 census, and
> you need not say whether you are doing so.

Yukon, NWT, Nunavut

> 8. Only one public road in Canada crosses the Arctic Circle.
> Give its name (not its highway number).
>
> 9. The Franklin Expedition left England in 1845 and never returned.
> All 128 men were lost after the ships became icebound in the
> Victoria Strait. Remains of the expedition have been found
> """on two Canadian Arctic islands.""" Name *either* island.

Victoria Island

> 10. This strait, named after a British 16th-century explorer, is
> a northern arm of the Labrador Sea and lies between Baffin I.
> and mid-western Greenland. Name it.

Davis Strait

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Apr 10, 2023, 10:16:00 PM4/10/23
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-02-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Sports Current Events - The 2014 Olympics (excerpt)

> Answer these 2014 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. This nation won 24 medals including 8 golds, despite sending only
> 41 athletes to Sochi. 23 of the medals were in speed skating
> and the other one was in short-track speed skating. Name the
> country.

Netherlands. Erland got this.

> 2. Name the skipper of either of Canada's gold-medal-winning
> curling teams.

Jennifer Jones, Brad Jacobs.

> * Game 6, Round 5 - Audio - Composers Performing their Own Works

> We will provide a brief biography of a composer performing music
> he wrote. (Yes, again they're all men.) We then play the clip of
> the music. (Sorry, you'll have to imagine that part.) You tell
> us the name of the composer/performer. Note: some of these were
> recorded on piano rolls!

> 1. This American bandleader, composer, and bassist died in 1979 at
> age 56. He was known as the "Angry Man of Jazz". His music was
> rooted in gospel and blues and he greatly admired of the music
> of Duke Ellington. He was one of the great bassists of his time.

Charles Mingus. 4 for Erland and Pete.

> 2. Another American bandleader, composer, and trumpet player,
> he was born in 1925 and died in 1991. He associated with almost
> all of the greats of the modern jazz era and changed his musical
> style many times. One of his many albums is the best-selling
> jazz recording of all time.

Miles Davis. 4 for Erland, Pete, and Joshua.

> 3. This African-American composer and pianist, known as the "King
> of Ragtime", died in 1917. As well as numerous "rags",
> he composed music for ballet and opera, and was awarded a
> posthumous Pulitzer Prize in 1976.

Scott Joplin. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Erland, Pete, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 4. This French composer, who lived 1875-1937, was one of the great
> figures associated with "Impressionistic Music". He was the son
> of a Swiss inventor and a Basque musical mother. His works for
> piano, chamber groups, and orchestra became standard concert
> repertoire and are known for their strong melodies, musical
> textures, and effects.

Maurice Ravel. 4 for Pete.

He came up on "Jeopardy!" on Friday. The category was about dead
composers and was titled "De-Composing", and the $800 question was:

THIS FRENCHMAN DIED ON DEC. 28, 1937, NEVER KNOWING
HE'D PLAY A CRUCIAL MUSICAL PART IN A BO DEREK FILM

It was answered correctly on the first try. The movie, of course,
is "10" (1979).

> 5. This jazz pianist and composer who lived 1917-82 is considered
> one of the greats of American music and is the next most
> frequently recorded jazz composer after Duke Ellington.
> Unorthodox even in dress and behavior, he wrote music that
> combines a highly percussive attack with dramatic hesitations
> and silences. He was featured on the cover of "Time" magazine
> and was awarded the Pulitzer Prize posthumously.

Thelonious Monk. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> 6. This Canadian composer and pianist lived 1925-2007. Called the
> "Maharaja of the Keyboard" by Duke Ellington, he was classically
> trained and also played with many of the jazz greats of his
> era. He wrote and performed for piano, jazz trio, quartets,
> and big bands; he composed several songs, jazz piano etudes,
> and a suite of music called "The Canadiana Suite".

Oscar Peterson. 4 for Pete.

> 7. Born 1907, died 1994, an American jazz singer and bandleader,
> he composed and performed music over a long career. As a
> bandleader, he employed many of the day's jazz greats and was
> strongly associated with Harlem's Cotton Club. Notable for his
> scat-singing and dancing, he appeared in films and his music
> was used in animated cartoons.

Cab Calloway. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> 8. Born 1910, died 2004, the only child of Jewish immigrants
> from Russia. This swing-era bandleader was known as the "King
> of the Clarinet" and led one of the first racially integrated
> bands. He was also an author of both fiction and non-fiction
> and performed classical music with the New York Philharmonic
> under Leonard Bernstein. He was an early proponent of the
> "Third Stream", which blended classical and jazz styles.

Artie Shaw.

> 9. Born 1904, died 1943, he was an influential jazz pianist,
> singer, and composer. He wrote or co-wrote over 400 songs,
> many of which he sold to other performers. He was regarded as a
> great performer and was known for his quips during performances.
> Around 1925 he recorded a series of solo pipe-organ albums.

Fats Waller. 4 for Pete.

> 10. Born in 1910 to a Belgian Romani family, he died in 1953.
> He is regarded as one of the great jazz guitarists and was the
> first European to influence jazz. Many of his compositions
> have become jazz standards. His virtuosity on the guitar is
> even more remarkable because he had only two usable fingers on
> his left hand.

Django Reinhardt. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Pete, and Joshua.

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Canadiana Geography - Canadian Arctic and Far North

> As Torontonians continue to suffer through a deep freeze and
> challenging winter, this round turns our attention toward Canada's
> Arctic -- where our temperatures would seem balmy!

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. The northernmost permanent settlement in the world is located
> on the northeastern tip of Ellesmere I. What is it called?

Alert. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Within 3°C, what is the average daily *low* temperature in
> <answer 1> in February?

-37°C (accepting -40°C to -34°C or -40°F to -29°F). 4 for Erland
and Dan Tilque.

> 3. The word Arctic comes from the Greek word "arktikos", meaning
> "near the Bear" or "northern", and what it's referring to
> is one of two constellations. Give the full name *in Latin*
> of either of those constellations.

Ursa Major, Ursa Minor. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Erland and Pete.

> 4. Besides Canada, how many other countries """extend""" -- or
> """have""" territories that extend -- into the Arctic as defined
> by the Arctic Circle?

7. (Still true.) 3 for Joshua.

In order eastward from Canada: Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden,
Finland, Russia, US. To my shame, I got this one wrong myself in
the original game, missing Alaska. I was surprised that Erland
explicitly listed the countries to justify his answer of 6, but
missed Iceland, so I checked. It turns out that the main island
of Iceland is entirely south of the Arctic Circle, but Iceland
still makes the list because of a small island named Grímsey.
(However, if Wikipedia is correct, in a few decades the Arctic
Circle will have shifted enough to change this.)

> 5. This lake, which extends north of the Arctic Circle, is the
> largest lake that is entirely in Canada, the 4th-largest in
> North America, and the 8th-largest in the world. Name it.

Great Bear L. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum.

Great Slave L. is 2nd-largest entirely in Canada, 5th-largest in
North America, and 10th-largest in the world.

> 6. Baffin I. is the largest land mass among the """36,563"""
> islands of Canada's Arctic Archipelago. What is the
> second-largest?

Victoria I.

Ellesmere I. (see question #1) is third-largest in the archipelago.
The three rank 5th, 8th, and 10th in the world respectively. I have
not found an updated count of the minor islands.

Victoria I., of course, is not to be confused with Vancouver I.,
which contains the city of Victoria, but is not in the Arctic.

> 7. Rank the three territories from *highest to lowest population*
> according to the """2011""" census. If you make two guesses,
> please give two complete lists of three, all on one line.
> *Note*: You may instead answer based on the 2021 census, and
> you need not say whether you are doing so.

Northwest Territories, Yukon, Nunavut. (Still true.)

NT: 41,462 in 2011, 41,070 in 2021.
YU: 33,897 in 2011, 40,232 in 2021.
NU: 31,906 in 2011, 36,858 in 2021.

> 8. Only one public road in Canada crosses the Arctic Circle.
> Give its name (not its highway number).

Dempster Highway.

Curiously, the principal road across the Arctic Circle in the US
also has a name starting with D: the Dalton Highway.

> 9. The Franklin Expedition left England in 1845 and never returned.
> All 128 men were lost after the ships became icebound in the
> Victoria Strait. Remains of the expedition have been found
> """on two Canadian Arctic islands.""" Name *either* island.

Beechey I., King William I. (Still true.)

The remains of the two abandoned ships have now been found as well,
one later in 2014 off the west coast of the Adelaide Peninsula
(which is the next piece of land south of King William I.), the
other in 2016 off the south coast of King William I.

> 10. This strait, named after a British 16th-century explorer, is
> a northern arm of the Labrador Sea and lies between Baffin I.
> and mid-western Greenland. Name it.

Davis Strait. 4 for Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 5 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Sci Ent Aud Can
Joshua Kreitzer 32 32 20 15 99
Dan Blum 36 28 16 7 87
Dan Tilque 36 8 4 20 68
Pete Gayde 14 12 36 3 65
Erland Sommarskog 24 4 16 7 51
John Gerson 24 0 -- -- 24

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "You are not the customer,
m...@vex.net you are the product."

Dan Tilque

Apr 11, 2023, 4:40:37 AM4/11/23
On 4/10/23 19:15, Mark Brader wrote:

>> 4. Besides Canada, how many other countries """extend""" -- or
>> """have""" territories that extend -- into the Arctic as defined
>> by the Arctic Circle?
>
> 7. (Still true.) 3 for Joshua.
>
> I was surprised that Erland
> explicitly listed the countries to justify his answer of 6, but
> missed Iceland, so I checked. It turns out that the main island
> of Iceland is entirely south of the Arctic Circle, but Iceland
> still makes the list because of a small island named Grímsey.

I came up with the same list Erland did, although I didn't post it. I
knew that Iceland just missed the Arctic Circle, but was unaware of this
other island.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 11, 2023, 2:20:19 PM4/11/23
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> In order eastward from Canada: Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden,
> Finland, Russia, US. To my shame, I got this one wrong myself in
> the original game, missing Alaska. I was surprised that Erland
> explicitly listed the countries to justify his answer of 6, but
> missed Iceland, so I checked. It turns out that the main island
> of Iceland is entirely south of the Arctic Circle, but Iceland
> still makes the list because of a small island named Grímsey.
> (However, if Wikipedia is correct, in a few decades the Arctic
> Circle will have shifted enough to change this.)

Oh, what a complete brain fart of mine! Iceland simply fell out
of my mind. But had been woken up the middle of the night, and
been asked if Iceland crosses the Arctic circle, I would have
said yes. Not because I know of Grimsey, but because I would
have assumed that the main island crosses the Artcic Circle.

Anyway, I was confused over my answer, because I am quite sure
that the Artcic Council has eight members. But I seemed to recall
that there is one member who is included despite not being close
to the Artcic Circle. I guess that's Denmark.

Out of curiosity, I checked my atlas, and the distance from the
northernmost tip of the main island to the Arctic Circle seems
to be at most one km.

Mark Brader

Apr 11, 2023, 4:34:11 PM4/11/23
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> > It turns out that the main island of Iceland is entirely south of
> > the Arctic Circle, but Iceland still makes the list because of a
> > small island named Grímsey.

Erland Sommarskog:
> Oh, what a complete brain fart of mine! Iceland simply fell out
> of my mind. But had been woken up the middle of the night, and
> been asked if Iceland crosses the Arctic circle, I would have
> said yes. Not because I know of Grimsey, but because I would
> have assumed that the main island crosses the Artcic Circle.

Me too.

> Out of curiosity, I checked my atlas, and the distance from the
> northernmost tip of the main island to the Arctic Circle seems
> to be at most one km.

Googling on "arctic circle latitude" produces various different
figures. The highest precision I found was "approximately" 66°33'47.2"
(which is 66.56311°) N, quoted at geology.com as the position for
2018-07-02, and 66°33'49.4" N (66.56372°) , quoted in Wikipedia as the
"current" position.

Google Maps maps the northernmost point of the island of Iceland
at coordinates 66.537886,-16.195895, but its "satellite" imagery
shows it at 66.538071,-16.195942, which might mean that the image
was taken at low tide. Anyway, any of these coordinates put the
main island about 2.8 km south of the Arctic Circle.
--
Mark Brader | The way the Giants are playing this season, Newton
Toronto | would have been better off standing on the wings