QFTCIUA Game 10, Rounds 4,6: paintings, space race

Mark Brader

Jan 19, 2015, 5:56:46 AM1/19/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-11-24,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 10, Round 4 - Art - Favorite Paintings

You want Art instead of all that Literature? Well here it is,
a handout round of extremely famous paintings. Please see the
3-page PDF at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-4/art.pdf

We'll name the artist and you give us the letter that corresponds
to his painting.

1. Jackson Pollock.
2. Henri Rousseau.
3. Paul Cézanne.
4. Salvador Dalí.
5. Diego Velázquez.
6. Sandro Botticelli.
7. Pablo Picasso.
8. Georges Seurat.
9. Rembrandt van Rijn.
10. Johannes Vermeer.

So there were 3 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you want to try them
for fun, but for no points.

11. Xngfhfuvxn Ubxhfnv.
12. Ivaprag ina Tbtu.
13. Pynhqr Zbarg.

* Game 10, Round 6 - Science - The Amazing Space Race

Not counting debris, there are approximately 3,000 artificial
satellites in Earth orbit. But back in the day, a launch was
a big deal. This round is on rocketry and the history of space
exploration.

1. What was the name of Canada's first artificial satellite,
launched in 1962? It was the first satellite constructed in
a country other than the US or USSR, although it was launched
by a US rocket.

2. What was the designation of the multi-stage rocket that launched
the Apollo astronauts to the Moon?

3. In September, the Mangalyaan probe entered orbit around Mars --
making it the fourth space program to reach the red planet
after the US, Russia, and European Space Agency. Which country
launched it?

4. These rockets were named for characters in Greek myth. Used in
NASA's early space program and, more ominously, they launched
intercontinental ballistic nuclear missiles for three decades.
Name the rocket family.

5. Name the family of rockets, also named from Greek myth, that
for 35 years have been the chief payload-carrier for the European
Space Agency.

6. Named for the Russian word for union, these rockets are
currently the only transportation available for astronauts at
the International Space Station. Name the rocket family.

7. Among his highly-publicized enterprises, this South-African-born
Canadian/American magnate founded SpaceX, the first private
company to launch and dock a vehicle at the International
Space Station. Name him.

8. In October 2004, SpaceShipOne became the first privately-funded
vessel to launch a human into suborbital space. Name the
software-giant co-founder who funded that endeavor.

9. Name the only other country, besides the US and Russia/USSR,
that has launched humans into space.

10. Which country is developing the infamous Taepodong ballistic
missiles?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
Fnghea sbe gur frpbaq dhrfgvba, gung'f bayl cneg bs gur nafjre.
Cyrnfr pbzcyrgr vg.

--
Mark Brader | I'd [want] to configure my system to do [it] automatically.
Toronto | Then I'd have *another* thing to go wrong. I get a lot of

Dan Blum

Jan 19, 2015, 9:52:51 AM1/19/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Art - Favorite Paintings

> 1. Jackson Pollock.

> 2. Henri Rousseau.

> 3. Paul C?zanne.

> 4. Salvador Dal?.

> 5. Diego Vel?zquez.

G; A

> 6. Sandro Botticelli.

> 7. Pablo Picasso.

> 8. Georges Seurat.

> 9. Rembrandt van Rijn.

> 10. Johannes Vermeer.

A; G

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - The Amazing Space Race

> 2. What was the designation of the multi-stage rocket that launched
> the Apollo astronauts to the Moon?

Saturn V

> 3. In September, the Mangalyaan probe entered orbit around Mars --
> making it the fourth space program to reach the red planet
> after the US, Russia, and European Space Agency. Which country
> launched it?

India

> 4. These rockets were named for characters in Greek myth. Used in
> NASA's early space program and, more ominously, they launched
> intercontinental ballistic nuclear missiles for three decades.
> Name the rocket family.

Titan

> 5. Name the family of rockets, also named from Greek myth, that
> for 35 years have been the chief payload-carrier for the European
> Space Agency.

Ariadne

> 6. Named for the Russian word for union, these rockets are
> currently the only transportation available for astronauts at
> the International Space Station. Name the rocket family.

Soyuz

> 7. Among his highly-publicized enterprises, this South-African-born
> Canadian/American magnate founded SpaceX, the first private
> company to launch and dock a vehicle at the International
> Space Station. Name him.

Elon Musk

> 8. In October 2004, SpaceShipOne became the first privately-funded
> vessel to launch a human into suborbital space. Name the
> software-giant co-founder who funded that endeavor.

Ballmer; Allen

> 9. Name the only other country, besides the US and Russia/USSR,
> that has launched humans into space.

China

> 10. Which country is developing the infamous Taepodong ballistic
> missiles?

North Kora

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 19, 2015, 11:58:29 AM1/19/15
In article <nv-dnc0GNv9zfyHJ...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 10, Round 4 - Art - Favorite Paintings
>
> You want Art instead of all that Literature? Well here it is,
> a handout round of extremely famous paintings. Please see the
> 3-page PDF at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-4/art.pdf
>
> We'll name the artist and you give us the letter that corresponds
> to his painting.
>
> 1. Jackson Pollock.

> 2. Henri Rousseau.

> 3. Paul Cézanne.

> 4. Salvador Dalí.

> 5. Diego Velázquez.

> 6. Sandro Botticelli.

> 7. Pablo Picasso.

> 8. Georges Seurat.

> 9. Rembrandt van Rijn.

> 10. Johannes Vermeer.

> So there were 3 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you want to try them
> for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Katsushika Hokusai.

> 12. Vincent van Gogh.

> 13. Claude Monet.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - The Amazing Space Race
>
> Not counting debris, there are approximately 3,000 artificial
> satellites in Earth orbit. But back in the day, a launch was
> a big deal. This round is on rocketry and the history of space
> exploration.
>
> 1. What was the name of Canada's first artificial satellite,
> launched in 1962? It was the first satellite constructed in
> a country other than the US or USSR, although it was launched
> by a US rocket.
>
> 2. What was the designation of the multi-stage rocket that launched
> the Apollo astronauts to the Moon?
Apollo

> 3. In September, the Mangalyaan probe entered orbit around Mars --
> making it the fourth space program to reach the red planet
> after the US, Russia, and European Space Agency. Which country
> launched it?
India

> 4. These rockets were named for characters in Greek myth. Used in
> NASA's early space program and, more ominously, they launched
> intercontinental ballistic nuclear missiles for three decades.
> Name the rocket family.
>
> 5. Name the family of rockets, also named from Greek myth, that
> for 35 years have been the chief payload-carrier for the European
> Space Agency.
>
> 6. Named for the Russian word for union, these rockets are
> currently the only transportation available for astronauts at
> the International Space Station. Name the rocket family.
soyuz

> 7. Among his highly-publicized enterprises, this South-African-born
> Canadian/American magnate founded SpaceX, the first private
> company to launch and dock a vehicle at the International
> Space Station. Name him.
Elon Musk

> 8. In October 2004, SpaceShipOne became the first privately-funded
> vessel to launch a human into suborbital space. Name the
> software-giant co-founder who funded that endeavor.
>
> 9. Name the only other country, besides the US and Russia/USSR,
> that has launched humans into space.
China

> 10. Which country is developing the infamous Taepodong ballistic
> missiles?
North Korea

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> Fnghea sbe gur frpbaq dhrfgvba, gung'f bayl cneg bs gur nafjre.
> Cyrnfr pbzcyrgr vg.

Björn Lundin

Jan 19, 2015, 1:27:31 PM1/19/15
On 2015-01-19 11:56, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Art - Favorite Paintings
>
> You want Art instead of all that Literature? Well here it is,
> a handout round of extremely famous paintings. Please see the
> 3-page PDF at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-4/art.pdf
>
> We'll name the artist and you give us the letter that corresponds
> to his painting.
>
> 1. Jackson Pollock.
> 2. Henri Rousseau.
> 3. Paul Cézanne.
> 4. Salvador Dalí.
> 5. Diego Velázquez.
> 6. Sandro Botticelli.
> 7. Pablo Picasso.
> 8. Georges Seurat.
> 9. Rembrandt van Rijn.
> 10. Johannes Vermeer.
>
> So there were 3 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you want to try them
> for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Xngfhfuvxn Ubxhfnv.
> 12. Ivaprag ina Tbtu.
> 13. Pynhqr Zbarg.
>

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - The Amazing Space Race
>
> 1. What was the name of Canada's first artificial satellite,
> launched in 1962? It was the first satellite constructed in
> a country other than the US or USSR, although it was launched
> by a US rocket.

Maple?

> 2. What was the designation of the multi-stage rocket that launched
> the Apollo astronauts to the Moon?

Saturn IV

> 3. In September, the Mangalyaan probe entered orbit around Mars --
> making it the fourth space program to reach the red planet
> after the US, Russia, and European Space Agency. Which country
> launched it?

Japan

> 4. These rockets were named for characters in Greek myth. Used in
> NASA's early space program and, more ominously, they launched
> intercontinental ballistic nuclear missiles for three decades.
> Name the rocket family.

Unicorn

> 5. Name the family of rockets, also named from Greek myth, that
> for 35 years have been the chief payload-carrier for the European
> Space Agency.

Titan

> 6. Named for the Russian word for union, these rockets are
> currently the only transportation available for astronauts at
> the International Space Station. Name the rocket family.

Traktor

> 7. Among his highly-publicized enterprises, this South-African-born
> Canadian/American magnate founded SpaceX, the first private
> company to launch and dock a vehicle at the International
> Space Station. Name him.

Elon Musk

> 8. In October 2004, SpaceShipOne became the first privately-funded
> vessel to launch a human into suborbital space. Name the
> software-giant co-founder who funded that endeavor.

Bill Gates

> 9. Name the only other country, besides the US and Russia/USSR,
> that has launched humans into space.

China

> 10. Which country is developing the infamous Taepodong ballistic
> missiles?

North Korea

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> Fnghea sbe gur frpbaq dhrfgvba, gung'f bayl cneg bs gur nafjre.
> Cyrnfr pbzcyrgr vg.

Björn

Peter Smyth

Jan 19, 2015, 1:33:12 PM1/19/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-11-24,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Art - Favorite Paintings
>
> You want Art instead of all that Literature? Well here it is,
> a handout round of extremely famous paintings. Please see the
> 3-page PDF at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-4/art.pdf
>
> We'll name the artist and you give us the letter that corresponds
> to his painting.
>
> 1. Jackson Pollock.
3
Saturn V
> 3. In September, the Mangalyaan probe entered orbit around Mars --
> making it the fourth space program to reach the red planet
> after the US, Russia, and European Space Agency. Which country
> launched it?
India
> 4. These rockets were named for characters in Greek myth. Used in
> NASA's early space program and, more ominously, they launched
> intercontinental ballistic nuclear missiles for three decades.
> Name the rocket family.
>
> 5. Name the family of rockets, also named from Greek myth, that
> for 35 years have been the chief payload-carrier for the European
> Space Agency.
Ariadne
> 6. Named for the Russian word for union, these rockets are
> currently the only transportation available for astronauts at
> the International Space Station. Name the rocket family.
Soyuz
> 7. Among his highly-publicized enterprises, this South-African-born
> Canadian/American magnate founded SpaceX, the first private
> company to launch and dock a vehicle at the International
> Space Station. Name him.
Tito
> 8. In October 2004, SpaceShipOne became the first privately-funded
> vessel to launch a human into suborbital space. Name the
> software-giant co-founder who funded that endeavor.
Tito
> 9. Name the only other country, besides the US and Russia/USSR,
> that has launched humans into space.
China
> 10. Which country is developing the infamous Taepodong ballistic
> missiles?
North Korea

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 19, 2015, 5:31:07 PM1/19/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 10, Round 4 - Art - Favorite Paintings
>
> You want Art instead of all that Literature? Well here it is,
> a handout round of extremely famous paintings. Please see the
> 3-page PDF at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-4/art.pdf
>
> We'll name the artist and you give us the letter that corresponds
> to his painting.
>
> 1. Jackson Pollock.

> 2. Henri Rousseau.

> 3. Paul Cézanne.

> 4. Salvador Dalí.

> 5. Diego Velázquez.

> 6. Sandro Botticelli.

> 7. Pablo Picasso.

> 8. Georges Seurat.

> 9. Rembrandt van Rijn.

> 10. Johannes Vermeer.

> So there were 3 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you want to try them
> for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Xngfhfuvxn Ubxhfnv.
> 12. Ivaprag ina Tbtu.

E (I have been to that café, although it is a bit of a tourist trap
these days.)

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - The Amazing Space Race
>
> 2. What was the designation of the multi-stage rocket that launched
> the Apollo astronauts to the Moon?

Eagle

> 3. In September, the Mangalyaan probe entered orbit around Mars --
> making it the fourth space program to reach the red planet
> after the US, Russia, and European Space Agency. Which country
> launched it?

India

> 5. Name the family of rockets, also named from Greek myth, that
> for 35 years have been the chief payload-carrier for the European
> Space Agency.

Ariane

> 6. Named for the Russian word for union, these rockets are
> currently the only transportation available for astronauts at
> the International Space Station. Name the rocket family.

Sojuz

> 8. In October 2004, SpaceShipOne became the first privately-funded
> vessel to launch a human into suborbital space. Name the
> software-giant co-founder who funded that endeavor.

Paul Allen

> 9. Name the only other country, besides the US and Russia/USSR,
> that has launched humans into space.

China

> 10. Which country is developing the infamous Taepodong ballistic
> missiles?

North Korea

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> Fnghea sbe gur frpbaq dhrfgvba, gung'f bayl cneg bs gur nafjre.
> Cyrnfr pbzcyrgr vg.

Oh, Saturn Eagle then :-)

Dan Tilque

Jan 19, 2015, 7:47:52 PM1/19/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Art - Favorite Paintings
>
> You want Art instead of all that Literature? Well here it is,
> a handout round of extremely famous paintings. Please see the
> 3-page PDF at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-4/art.pdf
>
> We'll name the artist and you give us the letter that corresponds
> to his painting.
>
> 1. Jackson Pollock.

> 2. Henri Rousseau.

> 3. Paul Cézanne.

> 4. Salvador Dalí.

> 5. Diego Velázquez.

> 6. Sandro Botticelli.

> 7. Pablo Picasso.

> 8. Georges Seurat.

> 9. Rembrandt van Rijn.

> 10. Johannes Vermeer.

> So there were 3 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you want to try them
> for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Xngfhfuvxn Ubxhfnv.
> 12. Ivaprag ina Tbtu.
> 13. Pynhqr Zbarg.
>

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - The Amazing Space Race
>
> Not counting debris, there are approximately 3,000 artificial
> satellites in Earth orbit. But back in the day, a launch was
> a big deal. This round is on rocketry and the history of space
> exploration.
>
> 1. What was the name of Canada's first artificial satellite,
> launched in 1962? It was the first satellite constructed in
> a country other than the US or USSR, although it was launched
> by a US rocket.

Telstar

> 2. What was the designation of the multi-stage rocket that launched
> the Apollo astronauts to the Moon?

Saturn V

> 3. In September, the Mangalyaan probe entered orbit around Mars --
> making it the fourth space program to reach the red planet
> after the US, Russia, and European Space Agency. Which country
> launched it?

India

> 4. These rockets were named for characters in Greek myth. Used in
> NASA's early space program and, more ominously, they launched
> intercontinental ballistic nuclear missiles for three decades.
> Name the rocket family.

Atlas

> 5. Name the family of rockets, also named from Greek myth, that
> for 35 years have been the chief payload-carrier for the European
> Space Agency.

Ariadne

> 6. Named for the Russian word for union, these rockets are
> currently the only transportation available for astronauts at
> the International Space Station. Name the rocket family.
>
> 7. Among his highly-publicized enterprises, this South-African-born
> Canadian/American magnate founded SpaceX, the first private
> company to launch and dock a vehicle at the International
> Space Station. Name him.

Musk

> 8. In October 2004, SpaceShipOne became the first privately-funded
> vessel to launch a human into suborbital space. Name the
> software-giant co-founder who funded that endeavor.

Paul Allen

> 9. Name the only other country, besides the US and Russia/USSR,
> that has launched humans into space.

China

> 10. Which country is developing the infamous Taepodong ballistic
> missiles?

North Korea

--
Dan Tilque

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 19, 2015, 10:07:28 PM1/19/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:nv-dnc0GNv9zfyHJnZ2dnUU7-
dmd...@vex.net:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Art - Favorite Paintings
>
> Please see the 3-page PDF at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-4/art.pdf
>
> We'll name the artist and you give us the letter that corresponds
> to his painting.
>
> 1. Jackson Pollock.

> 2. Henri Rousseau.

> 3. Paul Cézanne.

E; J

> 4. Salvador Dalí.

> 5. Diego Velázquez.

> 6. Sandro Botticelli.

> 7. Pablo Picasso.

> 8. Georges Seurat.

> 9. Rembrandt van Rijn.

> 10. Johannes Vermeer.

> So there were 3 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you want to try them
> for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Xngfhfuvxn Ubxhfnv.

> 12. Ivaprag ina Tbtu.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - The Amazing Space Race.
>
> 1. What was the name of Canada's first artificial satellite,
> launched in 1962? It was the first satellite constructed in
> a country other than the US or USSR, although it was launched
> by a US rocket.

Ariane

> 2. What was the designation of the multi-stage rocket that launched
> the Apollo astronauts to the Moon?

Saturn V

> 3. In September, the Mangalyaan probe entered orbit around Mars --
> making it the fourth space program to reach the red planet
> after the US, Russia, and European Space Agency. Which country
> launched it?

China

> 4. These rockets were named for characters in Greek myth. Used in
> NASA's early space program and, more ominously, they launched
> intercontinental ballistic nuclear missiles for three decades.
> Name the rocket family.

Titan

> 6. Named for the Russian word for union, these rockets are
> currently the only transportation available for astronauts at
> the International Space Station. Name the rocket family.

Soyuz

> 8. In October 2004, SpaceShipOne became the first privately-funded
> vessel to launch a human into suborbital space. Name the
> software-giant co-founder who funded that endeavor.

Elon Musk

> 9. Name the only other country, besides the US and Russia/USSR,
> that has launched humans into space.

China

> 10. Which country is developing the infamous Taepodong ballistic
> missiles?

North Korea

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Jan 19, 2015, 10:15:18 PM1/19/15
On Monday, January 19, 2015 at 8:56:46 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Art - Favorite Paintings

> 1. Jackson Pollock.

> 2. Henri Rousseau.

by elimination

> 3. Paul Cézanne.

> 4. Salvador Dalí.

> 5. Diego Velázquez.

> 6. Sandro Botticelli.

> 7. Pablo Picasso.

> 8. Georges Seurat.

> 9. Rembrandt van Rijn.

> 10. Johannes Vermeer.

> So there were 3 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you want to try them
> for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Xngfhfuvxn Ubxhfnv.

> 12. Ivaprag ina Tbtu.

> 13. Pynhqr Zbarg.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - The Amazing Space Race
>
> Not counting debris, there are approximately 3,000 artificial
> satellites in Earth orbit. But back in the day, a launch was
> a big deal. This round is on rocketry and the history of space
> exploration.
>
> 1. What was the name of Canada's first artificial satellite,
> launched in 1962? It was the first satellite constructed in
> a country other than the US or USSR, although it was launched
> by a US rocket.
>
> 2. What was the designation of the multi-stage rocket that launched
> the Apollo astronauts to the Moon?

11

> 3. In September, the Mangalyaan probe entered orbit around Mars --
> making it the fourth space program to reach the red planet
> after the US, Russia, and European Space Agency. Which country
> launched it?

India

> 4. These rockets were named for characters in Greek myth. Used in
> NASA's early space program and, more ominously, they launched
> intercontinental ballistic nuclear missiles for three decades.
> Name the rocket family.

Trident, Polaris

> 5. Name the family of rockets, also named from Greek myth, that
> for 35 years have been the chief payload-carrier for the European
> Space Agency.

Trident, Polaris

> 6. Named for the Russian word for union, these rockets are
> currently the only transportation available for astronauts at
> the International Space Station. Name the rocket family.
>
> 7. Among his highly-publicized enterprises, this South-African-born
> Canadian/American magnate founded SpaceX, the first private
> company to launch and dock a vehicle at the International
> Space Station. Name him.
>
> 8. In October 2004, SpaceShipOne became the first privately-funded
> vessel to launch a human into suborbital space. Name the
> software-giant co-founder who funded that endeavor.

Gates

> 9. Name the only other country, besides the US and Russia/USSR,
> that has launched humans into space.

China

> 10. Which country is developing the infamous Taepodong ballistic
> missiles?

China

cheers,
calvin

Jason Kreitzer

Jan 19, 2015, 10:44:02 PM1/19/15
Apollo 11

> 3. In September, the Mangalyaan probe entered orbit around Mars --
> making it the fourth space program to reach the red planet
> after the US, Russia, and European Space Agency. Which country
> launched it?
>
> 4. These rockets were named for characters in Greek myth. Used in
> NASA's early space program and, more ominously, they launched
> intercontinental ballistic nuclear missiles for three decades.
> Name the rocket family.
>
> 5. Name the family of rockets, also named from Greek myth, that
> for 35 years have been the chief payload-carrier for the European
> Space Agency.
>
> 6. Named for the Russian word for union, these rockets are
> currently the only transportation available for astronauts at
> the International Space Station. Name the rocket family.
Soyuz?
> 7. Among his highly-publicized enterprises, this South-African-born
> Canadian/American magnate founded SpaceX, the first private
> company to launch and dock a vehicle at the International
> Space Station. Name him.
>
> 8. In October 2004, SpaceShipOne became the first privately-funded
> vessel to launch a human into suborbital space. Name the
> software-giant co-founder who funded that endeavor.
>
> 9. Name the only other country, besides the US and Russia/USSR,
> that has launched humans into space.
>
> 10. Which country is developing the infamous Taepodong ballistic
> missiles?
North Korea?

Bruce Bowler

Jan 20, 2015, 9:10:50 AM1/20/15
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 04:56:46 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-11-24, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2014-09-15
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Art - Favorite Paintings
>
> You want Art instead of all that Literature? Well here it is,
> a handout round of extremely famous paintings. Please see the 3-page
> PDF at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-4/art.pdf
>
> We'll name the artist and you give us the letter that corresponds to his
> painting.
>
> 1. Jackson Pollock.

> 2. Henri Rousseau.

> 3. Paul Cézanne.

> 4. Salvador Dalí.

> 5. Diego Velázquez.

> 6. Sandro Botticelli.

> 7. Pablo Picasso.

> 8. Georges Seurat.

> 9. Rembrandt van Rijn.

> 10. Johannes Vermeer.

> So there were 3 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you want to try them for
> fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Katsushika Hokusai.

> 12. Vincent van Gogh.

> 13. Claude Monet.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - The Amazing Space Race
>
> Not counting debris, there are approximately 3,000 artificial satellites
> in Earth orbit. But back in the day, a launch was a big deal. This
> round is on rocketry and the history of space exploration.
>
> 1. What was the name of Canada's first artificial satellite,
> launched in 1962? It was the first satellite constructed in a
> country other than the US or USSR, although it was launched by a US
> rocket.
>
> 2. What was the designation of the multi-stage rocket that launched
> the Apollo astronauts to the Moon?

Saturn V

> 3. In September, the Mangalyaan probe entered orbit around Mars --
> making it the fourth space program to reach the red planet after the
> US, Russia, and European Space Agency. Which country launched it?

India

> 4. These rockets were named for characters in Greek myth. Used in
> NASA's early space program and, more ominously, they launched
> intercontinental ballistic nuclear missiles for three decades. Name
> the rocket family.

Atlas

> 5. Name the family of rockets, also named from Greek myth, that
> for 35 years have been the chief payload-carrier for the European
> Space Agency.

Arienne

> 6. Named for the Russian word for union, these rockets are
> currently the only transportation available for astronauts at the
> International Space Station. Name the rocket family.

Soyuz

> 7. Among his highly-publicized enterprises, this South-African-born
> Canadian/American magnate founded SpaceX, the first private company
> to launch and dock a vehicle at the International Space Station.
> Name him.

Elon Musk

> 8. In October 2004, SpaceShipOne became the first privately-funded
> vessel to launch a human into suborbital space. Name the
> software-giant co-founder who funded that endeavor.

Paul Allen

> 9. Name the only other country, besides the US and Russia/USSR,
> that has launched humans into space.

China

> 10. Which country is developing the infamous Taepodong ballistic
> missiles?

N. Korea

Rob Parker

Jan 21, 2015, 8:04:00 PM1/21/15
> * Game 10, Round 4 - Art - Favorite Paintings
>
> 1. Jackson Pollock.

> 2. Henri Rousseau.

e; l

> 3. Paul Cézanne.

> 4. Salvador Dalí.

> 5. Diego Velázquez.

a; h

> 6. Sandro Botticelli.

> 7. Pablo Picasso.

> 8. Georges Seurat.

> 9. Rembrandt van Rijn.

> 10. Johannes Vermeer.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - The Amazing Space Race
>
> 2. What was the designation of the multi-stage rocket that launched
> the Apollo astronauts to the Moon?

Saturn V

> 3. In September, the Mangalyaan probe entered orbit around Mars --
> making it the fourth space program to reach the red planet
> after the US, Russia, and European Space Agency. Which country
> launched it?

India

> 4. These rockets were named for characters in Greek myth. Used in
> NASA's early space program and, more ominously, they launched
> intercontinental ballistic nuclear missiles for three decades.
> Name the rocket family.

Titan

> 6. Named for the Russian word for union, these rockets are
> currently the only transportation available for astronauts at
> the International Space Station. Name the rocket family.

Soyuz

> 8. In October 2004, SpaceShipOne became the first privately-funded
> vessel to launch a human into suborbital space. Name the
> software-giant co-founder who funded that endeavor.

Paul Allen

> 9. Name the only other country, besides the US and Russia/USSR,
> that has launched humans into space.

China

> 10. Which country is developing the infamous Taepodong ballistic
> missiles?

North Korea

Rob

Mark Brader

Jan 22, 2015, 9:44:36 AM1/22/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-11-24,
> see my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Art - Favorite Paintings

> You want Art instead of all that Literature? Well here it is,
> a handout round of extremely famous paintings. Please see the
> 3-page PDF at:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/10-4/art.pdf

> We'll name the artist and you give us the letter that corresponds
> to his painting.

Extremely famous is right. In the original game, this was the
easiest round of the entire season.

> 1. Jackson Pollock.

C ("No. 5, 1948"). I generously scored "3" as almost correct.
4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Calvin, Bruce, and Rob.
3 for Peter.

> 2. Henri Rousseau.

L ("The Sleeping Gypsy"). 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Joshua, Calvin,
and Bruce. 2 for Rob.

> 3. Paul Cézanne.

J ("The Card Players"). 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Bruce, and Rob.
2 for Joshua.

> 4. Salvador Dalí.

B ("The Persistence of Memory"). 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Björn,
Erland, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Calvin, Bruce, and Rob.

> 5. Diego Velázquez.

A ("Las Meninas"). 4 for Marc, Erland, Joshua, and Calvin.
3 for Rob. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Sandro Botticelli.

K ("Primavera"). 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Björn, Dan Tilque, Joshua,
Calvin, Bruce, and Rob.

> 7. Pablo Picasso.

M ("Guernica"). 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Björn, Erland, Dan Tilque,
Joshua, Calvin, Bruce, and Rob.

> 8. Georges Seurat.

F ("A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte").
4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Joshua, Calvin, Bruce, and Rob.

> 9. Rembrandt van Rijn.

D ("The Anatomy Lesson of Dr. Nicolaes Tulp"). 4 for Dan Blum,
Marc, Björn, Erland, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Calvin, Bruce, and Rob.

> 10. Johannes Vermeer.

G ("The Art of Painting"). 4 for Marc, Björn, Erland, Joshua,
and Calvin. 2 for Dan Blum.

> So there were 3 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you want to try them
> for fun, but for no points.

> 11. Katsushika Hokusai.

I ("The Great Wave off Kanagara"). Marc, Joshua, Calvin, and Bruce
got this.

> 12. Vincent van Gogh.

E ("The Café Terrace on the Place du Forum, Arles, at Night").
Erland, Calvin, and Bruce got this.

> 13. Claude Monet.

H ("Water Lilies"). Marc, Calvin, and Bruce got this.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Science - The Amazing Space Race

> Not counting debris, there are approximately 3,000 artificial
> satellites in Earth orbit. But back in the day, a launch was
> a big deal. This round is on rocketry and the history of space
> exploration.

> 1. What was the name of Canada's first artificial satellite,
> launched in 1962? It was the first satellite constructed in
> a country other than the US or USSR, although it was launched
> by a US rocket.

Alouette I. The number was not required.

> 2. What was the designation of the multi-stage rocket that launched
> the Apollo astronauts to the Moon?

Saturn V. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Dan Tilque, Joshua, Bruce, and Rob.

"Saturn" was not specific enough. In fact the Saturn V consisted
of a Saturn I-C as the first stage, a Saturn II as the second, and a
Saturn IV-B as the third. (So we see that, at NASA, 1 + 2 + 4 = 5.)

> 3. In September, the Mangalyaan probe entered orbit around Mars --
> making it the fourth space program to reach the red planet
> after the US, Russia, and European Space Agency. Which country
> launched it?

India. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Erland, Dan Tilque, Calvin,
Bruce, and Rob.

> 4. These rockets were named for characters in Greek myth. Used in
> NASA's early space program and, more ominously, they launched
> intercontinental ballistic nuclear missiles for three decades.
> Name the rocket family.

Titan. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Rob.

> 5. Name the family of rockets, also named from Greek myth, that
> for 35 years have been the chief payload-carrier for the European
> Space Agency.

Ariane (French for Ariadne, which I scored as almost correct).
4 for Erland. 3 for Dan Blum, Peter, Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> 6. Named for the Russian word for union, these rockets are
> currently the only transportation available for astronauts at
> the International Space Station. Name the rocket family.

Soyuz. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Erland, Joshua, Jason, Bruce,
and Rob.

> 7. Among his highly-publicized enterprises, this South-African-born
> Canadian/American magnate founded SpaceX, the first private
> company to launch and dock a vehicle at the International
> Space Station. Name him.

Elon Musk. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Björn, Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> 8. In October 2004, SpaceShipOne became the first privately-funded
> vessel to launch a human into suborbital space. Name the
> software-giant co-founder who funded that endeavor.

Paul Allen (Microsoft). 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Bruce, and Rob.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 9. Name the only other country, besides the US and Russia/USSR,
> that has launched humans into space.

China. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Björn, Peter, Erland, Dan Tilque,
Joshua, Calvin, Bruce, and Rob.

> 10. Which country is developing the infamous Taepodong ballistic
> missiles?

North Korea. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Björn, Peter, Erland, Dan Tilque,
Joshua, Jason, Bruce, and Rob.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Can Art Sci
Bruce Bowler 26 16 32 31 105
Dan Blum 27 7 36 33 103
Joshua Kreitzer 26 19 38 20 103
Rob Parker 19 9 33 28 89
Marc Dashevsky 24 8 36 20 88
Dan Tilque 20 12 20 27 79
Erland Sommarskog 12 12 20 24 68
"Calvin" -- -- 40 8 48
Björn Lundin 8 4 20 12 44
Peter Smyth -- -- 3 23 26
Jason Kreitzer 8 0 0 8 16

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | ... "reasonable system" is of course defined as
m...@vex.net | "any one *I've* ever used..." -- Steve Summit