RQFTCICR14 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: women, Irish challenge

Mark Brader

May 8, 2023, 11:36:09 PM5/8/23
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-10,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Cellar Rats, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 8, Round 9 - History - Women's Day

In honor of Women's Day, here are questions about the history of
women's rights, equality, and achievements.

1. Within 2 years, when was the first Women's Day celebrated?
Note: the actual first day is disputed by 2 years, so we will
accept 2 years on either side of the disputed dates.

2. In the movie "Mary Poppins", Mrs. Banks (the mother) needed
a nanny because she was busy outside the house protesting in
what cause? Mr. Banks disapproved of this group.

3. Which province was the first to give mothers the same rights
over their children as fathers?

4. Name the English prison reformer and social reformer -- also
a Quaker, and a Christian philanthropist -- who has been referred
to as the "angel of prisons".

5. In Canada, under which prime minister was contraception
decriminalized and abortion legalized under certain
circumstances?

6. Florence Nightingale came to prominence as a nurse during what
1853-56 war?

7. The London match-girls' strike of 1888 was caused by the poor
working conditions in the match factories, including 14-hour
work days, poor pay, excessive fines, and the severe health
complications of working with white phosphorus. What was this
medical condition commonly known as?

8. Who was the first female Canadian astronaut in space?

9. Give the family name of the British political activist, and
leader of the British suffragette movement, who helped women
win the right to vote. "Time" magazine named her as one of the
100 most important people of the 20th century. Her sisters
and many of their daughters were also leading activists for
women's rights and social issues.

10. Which province was the first to give women the right to vote
and hold provincial office?

** Game 8, Round 10 - St. Patrick's Irish Challenge Round

There won't be a game on St. Patrick's Day, so we'll do this now.

* A. Science - Wildlife Past and Present

A1. Only one native species of this entire class of vertebrates
lives on the island of Ireland. Name the *class*.

A2. Although this extinct deer species lived as far east as
Siberia, its name comes from the numerous well-preserved
skeletons found in Irish bogs. Name it.

* B. Entertainment - Music, Early Acts

B1. What band had to shorten their original name after
Gaelic-speaking BBC listeners complained, then found
success when they toured with the Clash in 1984?

B2. *What singer*'s first successful band, called Them, played
for a week at L.A.'s Whisky a Go Go, with the Doors as their opening act?

* C. Business

C1. Name the Canadian company that """is""" among the largest
private-sector employers in Northern Ireland.

C2. For most of the first half of the 20th century, Harland &
Wolff was the largest industrial company in what became
Northern Ireland. What business were they in?

* D. Literature - Nobel Prize Winners

D1. This poet, playwright, and translator was the most
recent Irish person to win the Nobel for literature,
in 1995. He died last August. His works include "Death
of a Naturalist", "Station Island", "The Human Chain",
and a 1999 translation of "Beowulf". Name him.

D2. Although he was also a novelist and poet, the 1969 Nobel
winner is most associated with the "theatre of the absurd".
Name him.

* E. Geography - Second Cities

E1. What """is""" the republic of Ireland's 2nd-largest city?
E2. What is Northern Ireland's 2nd-largest city? Give either
one of its two commonly used names.

* F. History - St. Patrick

F1. St. Patrick was not born in Ireland. Where was he from?
F2. What circumstance brought him to Ireland the first time?

--
Mark Brader "Poor spelling does not prove poor knowledge,
Toronto but is fatal to the argument by intimidation."

Joshua Kreitzer

May 9, 2023, 3:24:24 AM5/9/23
On Monday, May 8, 2023 at 10:36:09 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - History - Women's Day
>
> In honor of Women's Day, here are questions about the history of
> women's rights, equality, and achievements.
>
> 2. In the movie "Mary Poppins", Mrs. Banks (the mother) needed
> a nanny because she was busy outside the house protesting in
> what cause? Mr. Banks disapproved of this group.

women's suffrage

> 3. Which province was the first to give mothers the same rights
> over their children as fathers?

Manitoba; Saskatchewan

> 5. In Canada, under which prime minister was contraception
> decriminalized and abortion legalized under certain
> circumstances?

Pierre Trudeau

> 6. Florence Nightingale came to prominence as a nurse during what
> 1853-56 war?

Crimean War

> 10. Which province was the first to give women the right to vote
> and hold provincial office?

Manitoba; Saskatchewan

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - St. Patrick's Irish Challenge Round
>
> There won't be a game on St. Patrick's Day, so we'll do this now.
>
> * A. Science - Wildlife Past and Present
>
> A1. Only one native species of this entire class of vertebrates
> lives on the island of Ireland. Name the *class*.

Reptilia

> * B. Entertainment - Music, Early Acts
>
> B1. What band had to shorten their original name after
> Gaelic-speaking BBC listeners complained, then found
> success when they toured with the Clash in 1984?

The Pogues

> B2. *What singer*'s first successful band, called Them, played
> for a week at L.A.'s Whisky a Go Go, with the Doors as their opening act?

Van Morrison

> * D. Literature - Nobel Prize Winners
>
> D1. This poet, playwright, and translator was the most
> recent Irish person to win the Nobel for literature,
> in 1995. He died last August. His works include "Death
> of a Naturalist", "Station Island", "The Human Chain",
> and a 1999 translation of "Beowulf". Name him.

Heaney

> D2. Although he was also a novelist and poet, the 1969 Nobel
> winner is most associated with the "theatre of the absurd".
> Name him.

Beckett

> * E. Geography - Second Cities
>
> E1. What """is""" the republic of Ireland's 2nd-largest city?

Cork

> E2. What is Northern Ireland's 2nd-largest city? Give either
> one of its two commonly used names.

Londonderry

> * F. History - St. Patrick
>
> F1. St. Patrick was not born in Ireland. Where was he from?

England

> F2. What circumstance brought him to Ireland the first time?

he was enslaved

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

May 9, 2023, 6:38:25 PM5/9/23
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - History - Women's Day

> 1. Within 2 years, when was the first Women's Day celebrated?
> Note: the actual first day is disputed by 2 years, so we will
> accept 2 years on either side of the disputed dates.

1960; 1970

> 2. In the movie "Mary Poppins", Mrs. Banks (the mother) needed
> a nanny because she was busy outside the house protesting in
> what cause? Mr. Banks disapproved of this group.

women's suffrage

> 3. Which province was the first to give mothers the same rights
> over their children as fathers?

Prince Edward Island; British Columbia

> 5. In Canada, under which prime minister was contraception
> decriminalized and abortion legalized under certain
> circumstances?

Pearson

> 6. Florence Nightingale came to prominence as a nurse during what
> 1853-56 war?

Crimean War

> 7. The London match-girls' strike of 1888 was caused by the poor
> working conditions in the match factories, including 14-hour
> work days, poor pay, excessive fines, and the severe health
> complications of working with white phosphorus. What was this
> medical condition commonly known as?

phossy jaw

> 10. Which province was the first to give women the right to vote
> and hold provincial office?

Manitoba; Alberta

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - St. Patrick's Irish Challenge Round

> * A. Science - Wildlife Past and Present

> A1. Only one native species of this entire class of vertebrates
> lives on the island of Ireland. Name the *class*.

Reptilia

> A2. Although this extinct deer species lived as far east as
> Siberia, its name comes from the numerous well-preserved
> skeletons found in Irish bogs. Name it.

Irish elk

> * B. Entertainment - Music, Early Acts

> B1. What band had to shorten their original name after
> Gaelic-speaking BBC listeners complained, then found
> success when they toured with the Clash in 1984?

Pogues

> * D. Literature - Nobel Prize Winners

> D1. This poet, playwright, and translator was the most
> recent Irish person to win the Nobel for literature,
> in 1995. He died last August. His works include "Death
> of a Naturalist", "Station Island", "The Human Chain",
> and a 1999 translation of "Beowulf". Name him.

Seamus Heaney

> D2. Although he was also a novelist and poet, the 1969 Nobel
> winner is most associated with the "theatre of the absurd".
> Name him.

Ionesco

> * E. Geography - Second Cities

> E1. What """is""" the republic of Ireland's 2nd-largest city?

Cork; Waterford

> E2. What is Northern Ireland's 2nd-largest city? Give either
> one of its two commonly used names.

Derry

> * F. History - St. Patrick

> F1. St. Patrick was not born in Ireland. Where was he from?

England; France

> F2. What circumstance brought him to Ireland the first time?

he was captured and enslaved

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

May 10, 2023, 3:40:54 AM5/10/23
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 8, Round 9 - History - Women's Day
> 1. Within 2 years, when was the first Women's Day celebrated?
> Note: the actual first day is disputed by 2 years, so we will
> accept 2 years on either side of the disputed dates.

1908

> 6. Florence Nightingale came to prominence as a nurse during what
> 1853-56 war?

Crimean

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - St. Patrick's Irish Challenge Round
>
> There won't be a game on St. Patrick's Day, so we'll do this now.
>
> B2. *What singer*'s first successful band, called Them, played
> for a week at L.A.'s Whisky a Go Go, with the Doors as their
> opening act?

Van Morrison

> * D. Literature - Nobel Prize Winners
>
> D1. This poet, playwright, and translator was the most
> recent Irish person to win the Nobel for literature,
> in 1995. He died last August. His works include "Death
> of a Naturalist", "Station Island", "The Human Chain",
> and a 1999 translation of "Beowulf". Name him.

Pinter

> * E. Geography - Second Cities
>
> E1. What """is""" the republic of Ireland's 2nd-largest city?

Cork

> E2. What is Northern Ireland's 2nd-largest city? Give either
> one of its two commonly used names.

Derry

> * F. History - St. Patrick
>
> F1. St. Patrick was not born in Ireland. Where was he from?

France

> F2. What circumstance brought him to Ireland the first time?

Missionary

Dan Tilque

May 10, 2023, 8:47:58 AM5/10/23
On 5/8/23 20:35, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - History - Women's Day
>
> In honor of Women's Day, here are questions about the history of
> women's rights, equality, and achievements.
>
> 1. Within 2 years, when was the first Women's Day celebrated?
> Note: the actual first day is disputed by 2 years, so we will
> accept 2 years on either side of the disputed dates.
>
> 2. In the movie "Mary Poppins", Mrs. Banks (the mother) needed
> a nanny because she was busy outside the house protesting in
> what cause? Mr. Banks disapproved of this group.

temperance

> 3. Which province was the first to give mothers the same rights
> over their children as fathers?
>
> 4. Name the English prison reformer and social reformer -- also
> a Quaker, and a Christian philanthropist -- who has been referred
> to as the "angel of prisons".
>
> 5. In Canada, under which prime minister was contraception
> decriminalized and abortion legalized under certain
> circumstances?
>
> 6. Florence Nightingale came to prominence as a nurse during what
> 1853-56 war?

Crimean War

> 7. The London match-girls' strike of 1888 was caused by the poor
> working conditions in the match factories, including 14-hour
> work days, poor pay, excessive fines, and the severe health
> complications of working with white phosphorus. What was this
> medical condition commonly known as?
>
> 8. Who was the first female Canadian astronaut in space?
>
> 9. Give the family name of the British political activist, and
> leader of the British suffragette movement, who helped women
> win the right to vote. "Time" magazine named her as one of the
> 100 most important people of the 20th century. Her sisters
> and many of their daughters were also leading activists for
> women's rights and social issues.
>
> 10. Which province was the first to give women the right to vote
> and hold provincial office?
>

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - St. Patrick's Irish Challenge Round
>
> There won't be a game on St. Patrick's Day, so we'll do this now.
>
> * A. Science - Wildlife Past and Present
>
> A1. Only one native species of this entire class of vertebrates
> lives on the island of Ireland. Name the *class*.

Reptilia

> A2. Although this extinct deer species lived as far east as
> Siberia, its name comes from the numerous well-preserved
> skeletons found in Irish bogs. Name it.
>

> * B. Entertainment - Music, Early Acts
>
> B1. What band had to shorten their original name after
> Gaelic-speaking BBC listeners complained, then found
> success when they toured with the Clash in 1984?
>
> B2. *What singer*'s first successful band, called Them, played
> for a week at L.A.'s Whisky a Go Go, with the Doors as their opening act?
>

> * C. Business
>
> C1. Name the Canadian company that """is""" among the largest
> private-sector employers in Northern Ireland.
>
> C2. For most of the first half of the 20th century, Harland &
> Wolff was the largest industrial company in what became
> Northern Ireland. What business were they in?

shipbuilding

> * D. Literature - Nobel Prize Winners
>
> D1. This poet, playwright, and translator was the most
> recent Irish person to win the Nobel for literature,
> in 1995. He died last August. His works include "Death
> of a Naturalist", "Station Island", "The Human Chain",
> and a 1999 translation of "Beowulf". Name him.
>
> D2. Although he was also a novelist and poet, the 1969 Nobel
> winner is most associated with the "theatre of the absurd".
> Name him.
>

> * E. Geography - Second Cities
>
> E1. What """is""" the republic of Ireland's 2nd-largest city?

Cork

> E2. What is Northern Ireland's 2nd-largest city? Give either
> one of its two commonly used names.

Londonderry

> * F. History - St. Patrick
>
> F1. St. Patrick was not born in Ireland. Where was he from?

Britain

> F2. What circumstance brought him to Ireland the first time?

kidnapped by pirates

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

May 12, 2023, 12:05:15 AM5/12/23
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-03-10,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 8 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER is the winner. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - History - Women's Day

> In honor of Women's Day, here are questions about the history of
> women's rights, equality, and achievements.

I had never heard of it.

> 1. Within 2 years, when was the first Women's Day celebrated?
> Note: the actual first day is disputed by 2 years, so we will
> accept 2 years on either side of the disputed dates.

1908-10 (accepting 1906-12). 4 for Erland.

> 2. In the movie "Mary Poppins", Mrs. Banks (the mother) needed
> a nanny because she was busy outside the house protesting in
> what cause? Mr. Banks disapproved of this group.

Votes for women. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 3. Which province was the first to give mothers the same rights
> over their children as fathers?

British Columbia. (In 1917.) 2 for Dan Blum.

> 4. Name the English prison reformer and social reformer -- also
> a Quaker, and a Christian philanthropist -- who has been referred
> to as the "angel of prisons".

Elizabeth Fry.

> 5. In Canada, under which prime minister was contraception
> decriminalized and abortion legalized under certain
> circumstances?

Pierre Trudeau. (In 1969.) 4 for Joshua.

These changes were part of an omnibus bill containing many reforms
to the Criminal Code, which had taken some 18 months to get through
Parliament after Trudeau himself introduced it in 1967 when he was
still the Minister of Justice and Lester Pearson was Prime Minister.
(Sorry, no points for Pearson.) It also legalized homosexual acts
between consenting adults. As he famously put it at that time:
"There's no place for the state in the bedrooms of the nation."

> 6. Florence Nightingale came to prominence as a nurse during what
> 1853-56 war?

The Crimean War. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. The London match-girls' strike of 1888 was caused by the poor
> working conditions in the match factories, including 14-hour
> work days, poor pay, excessive fines, and the severe health
> complications of working with white phosphorus. What was this
> medical condition commonly known as?

Phossy jaw. (Because the jawbone was especially damaged by it.)
4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. Who was the first female Canadian astronaut in space?

Roberta Bondar.

> 9. Give the family name of the British political activist, and
> leader of the British suffragette movement, who helped women
> win the right to vote. "Time" magazine named her as one of the
> 100 most important people of the 20th century. Her sisters
> and many of their daughters were also leading activists for
> women's rights and social issues.

Pankhurst.

> 10. Which province was the first to give women the right to vote
> and hold provincial office?

Manitoba. (In 1916.) 3 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - St. Patrick's Irish Challenge Round

> There won't be a game on St. Patrick's Day, so we'll do this now.

> * A. Science - Wildlife Past and Present

> A1. Only one native species of this entire class of vertebrates
> lives on the island of Ireland. Name the *class*.

Reptiles. (It's a lizard.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> A2. Although this extinct deer species lived as far east as
> Siberia, its name comes from the numerous well-preserved
> skeletons found in Irish bogs. Name it.

Irish elk. 4 for Dan Blum.

> * B. Entertainment - Music, Early Acts

> B1. What band had to shorten their original name after
> Gaelic-speaking BBC listeners complained, then found
> success when they toured with the Clash in 1984?

The Pogues. (Originally Pogue Mahone.) 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> B2. *What singer*'s first successful band, called Them, played
> for a week at L.A.'s Whisky a Go Go, with the Doors as their opening act?

Van Morrison. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> * C. Business

> C1. Name the Canadian company that """is""" among the largest
> private-sector employers in Northern Ireland.

2014 answer: Bombardier. Four Seasons Hotels might qualify as a 2023
answer, depending on what "Canadian company" means. Bombardier has
faced hard times in recent years and their plant in Northern Ireland
was sold to an American company, Spirit AeroSystems.

> C2. For most of the first half of the 20th century, Harland &
> Wolff was the largest industrial company in what became
> Northern Ireland. What business were they in?

Shipbuilding. Most famously, they built the Titanic. 4 for
Dan Tilque.

> * D. Literature - Nobel Prize Winners

> D1. This poet, playwright, and translator was the most
> recent Irish person to win the Nobel for literature,
> in 1995. He died last August. His works include "Death
> of a Naturalist", "Station Island", "The Human Chain",
> and a 1999 translation of "Beowulf". Name him.

Seamus Heaney. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> D2. Although he was also a novelist and poet, the 1969 Nobel
> winner is most associated with the "theatre of the absurd".
> Name him.

Samuel Beckett. 4 for Joshua.

Eugčne Ionesco was Romanian and later French, not Irish.

> * E. Geography - Second Cities

> E1. What """is""" the republic of Ireland's 2nd-largest city?

Cork. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Dan Blum.

In 2014 Galway was a popular guess; it actually ranks fourth,
after Limerick.

> E2. What is Northern Ireland's 2nd-largest city? Give either
> one of its two commonly used names.

Derry, Londonderry. 4 for everyone.

In 2014 the vote among the entrants was 7-3 in favor of the longer name.
This time it was 2-2.

> * F. History - St. Patrick

> F1. St. Patrick was not born in Ireland. Where was he from?

Great Britain. (Also accepting any of England, Scotland, or
Wales -- there are various claims.) 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.
3 for Dan Blum.

> F2. What circumstance brought him to Ireland the first time?

He was a slave. 4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Sci Spo Geo Can Ent His Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 40 0 4 40 8 40 15 36 179
Dan Blum 28 8 8 32 8 8 17 30 123
Dan Tilque 24 0 24 36 0 4 4 24 116
Pete Gayde 24 19 8 32 4 16 -- -- 103
Erland Sommarskog 0 12 4 40 0 12 8 16 92

--
Mark Brader | "The dream of a common standard is er... enhanced
Toronto | by the diversity of a myriad of national rules..."