[WS] A Massive ammount of WildStorms Questions

Phillip George Jaros

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
Well I've been playing WS for a while now and I have a few questions I
have been meaning to ask other players. So let the questions begin:

Can Ultimate Zealot use Magick to copy Black Razor Training off of a Keeper?

The PT version of the cards say you can only have one of the trainings,
but it says that Magick can mimic anything.

Does Dane Unleashed!'s Extra Psi, Savant and Brutus's Extra Strength and
Hexon's Extra Arms all work like Grifter's Weapon Expert Power? i.e. are
these bonuses accumulative?

I assume yes, but would like to here from others.

Can Gnome with orb use his Orb in the Holding or Staging Area?

I'm assuming no, but wouldn't mind being told yes. :)

Why doesn't H.A.R.M (or should I say didn't :) ) have Flight like Rainmakers?

He's flown all of the troika around before.

Can Jodunn, Void and Providence Teleport someone in as soon as they come
into play?

Seems a bit too powerful for me.

If Ultimate Zealot used magick to mimic Maul's Growth, would you need to
have other Ultimate Zealots or would a regular Zealot work?

Why the hell does Miles Craven cost so much?????????????

He screams K.O. me and is worth 6 points!

Shouldn't pilgrim have ";alternarively Pilgrim cannot be attacked until after
She attacks." after her Invisibility power?

Hell she is supposed to be invisible.

Why is Soma only 4 points?

He can mimic any power (well except EB, TO and Psi) and has a D of 5.
Maybe they got Craven and Soma confused. :)

Can Taboo Subterfuge with her Psi?

Seems like a legitamite option.

Can Ultimate Zealot copy Virtual Bob's Shock burst power? And if so can
she second strike with that power?

Yow! K.O. two people in the same rank in one turn with a C of 9, without
adding in any bonuses.

Does mental Wall add 3 Psi for defensive purposes if your Psi is better then
your D?

This one is confusing.

If your opponent attacks one of you characters twice in one turn can you
play Narrow escape to avoid both attacks?

I would think so, but it is not clear.

If you second strike, a player with inconspicous does he recieve two
subterfuge attacks?

Again I assume so, but don't know for sure.

If second Strike enables two attacks, can the second attack be forgoed to
change what your magick does?

I really would like an answer to this one.

Why is Red pictured with a sword, if she can't use it? :)

I guess it really is a katana and has a requirement of 6 or less.

Shouldn't the MIRV have some sort of bonus like "characters are recruited
from you holding area at half cost (rounding up) and their equipment comes
along for free"?

I think the most WildC.A.T.s you can normally recruit with it is 2.

When a character with a flawed Gen-Factor is sent to the staging area by a
mission card, I realize FGF is not removed, but is the D back up to full
strength?

I think this question is probably the most important.

The Gen-Factor PT is a bit over powered! Can you add a card somewhere along
the line to get rid of it?

Hell if he my opponent gets it out in the first battle he has it for the
whole game!

If I play a Night tribes intervene on my own supernatural characters, do
I need to discard down to 30 points even if the staging area would be dumped
at the end of my turn?

I hope not.

Can you play a reorganize, move a MIRV, Vad HyperCannon, Personal Defence
System, Heap Ammo, Laser Sight, Satellite Uplink, and a Sword over to a
K.O'd character and then second wind them to take 36 + cost of character
away from you opponnent?

It is legal, but is rather cheesy.

O.K. Scanning the timelines says: "If you have Void or Providence active,
you may use their Teleport ability to recruit 1 character from your
resources to your staging area for free. This is in addition to their
regular 1 Teleport per battle. Each player can only play this card once
per battle." Can I play one in the first battle, and not use it (leaving it
on the table for the next battle) and then play another one on the table during
the next battle, only to use them both when I finally draw Providence or Void?

Again, legal, but cheap.

Teleport Boost is just like Scanning the Timelines? So can I play it on
providence in the first battle, only to play another on Jodunn in the next?

See last two comments.

Well I have a developed a rather lengthly equation to determine how powerful a
character is compared to the points it costs to put it on the table. And here
is the results of my calculations. Chase Cards are in bold, and please note
that Midnight Devil and Shi will probably climb after Conflict is released (due
to Martial Arts Training). For the most part I feel that the equation was
acurate, but there were a few suprises here and there, so I'll probably add a
fudge factor later on, according to your comments. If you have any questions or
comments on this list just mail me at: pja...@uiuc.edu

Rating Characters
22 Gnome with Orb, Despot
21 Upgraded Spartan
20 Black Angel, Ultimate Zealot, Battalion Reborn
19 Dane Unleashed!
18 Helspont, Spartan
17 Lynch, Threshold, Backlash, Big Dozer
16 Regent, Deathtrap, Battalion, Fairchild, Possessed Voodoo
15 Pitt, Mindscape
14 H.A.R.M., Deathblow, Winter
13 Prince Drakken, Zealot, Cybernary, Void, Mr. Majestic,
Rainmaker, S'Ryn
12 Tapestry, Taboo, Union, Armand Wearing, BloodQueen,
Grifter, Emp, Cannon, Providence, Hightower, Defile
11 Spawn, The Maxx, Madman, Slag, Black Razor, Keeper, Maul,
Hellstrike, Freefall, Daemonite in a Flash Suit
Werewolf, Virtual Bob, Talos, Soma, Razer, Judgement,
10 Hestia, Warblade, Ivana Baiul, Destine, Voodoo, Savant,
Dane, Sunburst, Nautika, Fahrenheit, Pike, Burnout
Shi, Red, Coda Warrior, Bliss, Alicia Turner, Soldier, Ben
9 Santini, Jester, Grail, Undertow, Strafe, Fuji,
Flashpoint, Diva, M'Koi, Jodunn
Midnight Devil, Vampire, Helmut, Gnome, Frenzied Vampire,
8 Attica, Andromache, Johnny Savoy, I.O. Agent, Dingo,
Pilgrim, Dozer, Synergy, Grunge, H'Tarth, Daemonite,
B'Lial
7 Stricture, Nychus, Mnemo, Kilgore, Hexon, Hellslayer,
Doreen, Brutus, Beastmaster, Mother One, K'Rul, Mr. White
6 Claymore, Weatherman One, Pagan
5 Lonely, Major Diane LaSalle
4 Link
3 Miles Craven

My WSCCG Page also has a complete list of all of the cards and their
stats. (Everything, but Character quotes.)

It's address is: http://www.cen.uiuc.edu/~pjaros/WS/

--
| Phil Jaros, Senior in Engineering, at UIUC | PLAN PLAN PLAN |
| Art Director for Plan 9 Productions | PLAN PLAN |

Forbeck3

Jan 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/26/96
>>Can Ultimate Zealot use Magick to copy Black Razor Training off of a
Keeper?<<

Yes.

>>The PT version of the cards say you can only have one of the trainings,
but it says that Magick can mimic anything.<<

True.

>>Does Dane Unleashed!'s Extra Psi, Savant and Brutus's Extra Strength and
Hexon's Extra Arms all work like Grifter's Weapon Expert Power? i.e. are
these bonuses accumulative?

I assume yes, but would like to here from others.<<

You're correct.

>>Can Gnome with orb use his Orb in the Holding or Staging Area?

I'm assuming no, but wouldn't mind being told yes. :)<<

Sorry: No.

>>Why doesn't H.A.R.M (or should I say didn't :) ) have Flight like
Rainmakers?

He's flown all of the troika around before.<<

I suppose you're right, but it was just a matter of game design.

>>Can Jodunn, Void and Providence Teleport someone in as soon as they come
into play?

Seems a bit too powerful for me.<<

Yes. It is powerful. That's why it can only be done once per battle.

>>If Ultimate Zealot used magick to mimic Maul's Growth, would you need to
have other Ultimate Zealots or would a regular Zealot work?<<

The cards must be identical.

>>Why the hell does Miles Craven cost so much?????????????

He screams K.O. me and is worth 6 points!<<

The Influence power is worth a lot, as is the IO control. They can come in
quite handy.

>>Shouldn't pilgrim have ";alternarively Pilgrim cannot be attacked until
after She attacks." after her Invisibility power?

Hell she is supposed to be invisible.<<

If you want to play it that way, go ahead. The official answer is no.

>>Why is Soma only 4 points?

He can mimic any power (well except EB, TO and Psi) and has a D of 5.
Maybe they got Craven and Soma confused. :)<<

His Magick's only 1, and he's kind of a wimp.

>>Can Taboo Subterfuge with her Psi?

Seems like a legitamite option.<<

Yes.

>>Can Ultimate Zealot copy Virtual Bob's Shock burst power? And if so can
she second strike with that power?

Yow! K.O. two people in the same rank in one turn with a C of 9, without
adding in any bonuses.<<

No. Second Strike states UZ can "attack a single foe twice each turn."
Shockburst automatically attacks two people, so the powers are mutually
exclusive. You can use one or the other, but not both.

>>Does mental Wall add 3 Psi for defensive purposes if your Psi is better
then your D?

This one is confusing.<<

Add it to whichever is higher. Under the Psi rules, it states "Opponents
use their normal Defense (or their Psi if that value is higher) against
their attacker's Psi skill number."

>>If your opponent attacks one of you characters twice in one turn can you
play Narrow escape to avoid both attacks?

I would think so, but it is not clear.<<

Yes. It refers to a "combat" instead of an attack.

>>If you second strike, a player with inconspicous does he recieve two
subterfuge attacks?

Again I assume so, but don't know for sure.<<

No. It works for the "next" attack. The Second Strike attack is the
second.

>>If second Strike enables two attacks, can the second attack be forgoed
to change what your magick does?

I really would like an answer to this one.<<

No. It has to be the same kind of attack.

>>Why is Red pictured with a sword, if she can't use it? :)

I guess it really is a katana and has a requirement of 6 or less.<<

Yeah, that must be it. ; )

>>Shouldn't the MIRV have some sort of bonus like "characters are
recruited from you holding area at half cost (rounding up) and their
equipment comes along for free"?

I think the most WildC.A.T.s you can normally recruit with it is 2.<<

Yeah. It's a matter of game balance.

>>When a character with a flawed Gen-Factor is sent to the staging area by
a mission card, I realize FGF is not removed, but is the D back up to full
strength?

I think this question is probably the most important.<<

"Any time a character is moved to your sideboard, it is entirely healed."
The Flawed Gen-Factor comes off.

>>The Gen-Factor PT is a bit over powered! Can you add a card somewhere
along the line to get rid of it?

Hell if he my opponent gets it out in the first battle he has it for the
whole game! <<

Look in Conflict for a card that nullifies Plot Twists.

>>If I play a Night tribes intervene on my own supernatural characters, do
I need to discard down to 30 points even if the staging area would be
dumped at the end of my turn?

I hope not.<<

You simply need to move those points out of your staging area during your
next Recruit/Equip phase.

>>Can you play a reorganize, move a MIRV, Vad HyperCannon, Personal
Defence System, Heap Ammo, Laser Sight, Satellite Uplink, and a Sword over
to a K.O'd character and then second wind them to take 36 + cost of
character away from you opponnent?

It is legal, but is rather cheesy.<<

No. When you move equipment from a KO'd character, the points are
permanently awarded to the player that earned them. They cannot be taken
away. The converse is also true. You cannot take away points that a player
has not earned.

>>O.K. Scanning the timelines says: "If you have Void or Providence
active,
you may use their Teleport ability to recruit 1 character from your
resources to your staging area for free. This is in addition to their
regular 1 Teleport per battle. Each player can only play this card once
per battle." Can I play one in the first battle, and not use it (leaving
it
on the table for the next battle) and then play another one on the table
during the next battle, only to use them both when I finally draw
Providence or Void?

Again, legal, but cheap.

Teleport Boost is just like Scanning the Timelines? So can I play it on
providence in the first battle, only to play another on Jodunn in the
next?

See last two comments.<<

This all seems legal to me. Seems to me you could max out at 7 teleports
at once. Yikes!

Interesting table. Thanks, Phil.

Matt Forbeck
WildStorms

Phillip George Jaros

Jan 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/26/96
forb...@aol.com (Forbeck3) writes:

>>>Why is Soma only 4 points?

>He can mimic any power (well except EB, TO and Psi) and has a D of 5.
>Maybe they got Craven and Soma confused. :)<<

>His Magick's only 1, and he's kind of a wimp.

What? How can you call him a wimp? a D of 5 is basically above average,
and his other stats are also average, but he can mimic Gnome with Orbs
Orb control" Power, Teleportation, Invisibility (6,4,7), Magical Satchel
(was that a magick of 1, I meant 4), just to name a few.

My personal favorite:

Mimic growth. You can have a 10,4,11 for 12 pts.

Yeah he's a wimp. ;)

>>>If you second strike, a player with inconspicous does he recieve two
>subterfuge attacks?

>Again I assume so, but don't know for sure.<<

>No. It works for the "next" attack. The Second Strike attack is the
>second.

So second striking a inconspicous character is useless, since the attacker
must use the same attack.

>>>If second Strike enables two attacks, can the second attack be forgoed
>to change what your magick does?

>I really would like an answer to this one.<<

>No. It has to be the same kind of attack.

That's OK by me, but how come a spare ammo allows the character to
forgo the extra attack to use a skill/ability. (You said this)

>>>When a character with a flawed Gen-Factor is sent to the staging area by
>a mission card, I realize FGF is not removed, but is the D back up to full
>strength?

>I think this question is probably the most important.<<

>"Any time a character is moved to your sideboard, it is entirely healed."
>The Flawed Gen-Factor comes off.

OK, so FGF should read: "Play on any character with Psi (even latent).
Subtract -1D at the beginning of each of its owner's
turns. When D=0, the character is K.O.'d. This card
is discarded by healing the character."

>>>O.K. Scanning the timelines says: "If you have Void or Providence
>active,
>you may use their Teleport ability to recruit 1 character from your
>resources to your staging area for free. This is in addition to their
>regular 1 Teleport per battle. Each player can only play this card once
>per battle." Can I play one in the first battle, and not use it (leaving
>it
>on the table for the next battle) and then play another one on the table
>during the next battle, only to use them both when I finally draw
>Providence or Void?

>Again, legal, but cheap.

>Teleport Boost is just like Scanning the Timelines? So can I play it on
>providence in the first battle, only to play another on Jodunn in the
>next?

>See last two comments.<<

>This all seems legal to me. Seems to me you could max out at 7 teleports
>at once. Yikes!

Actually the max is 16, by a Gnome with Orb (and his Orb of Teleportation)
and 3 supercharges. And yes it is quite a scary though. :)

Of coure Void can use 3 Void Intervene's, 3 Scanning the timelines, and a
teleport boost to get 8, by herself.

Requires 6 more cards though, so I'll stick with Gnome with Orb.

And before you ask, yes I think of very nasty card combos, the worse of which
I'm saving for the first tournament near me. :)

Thanks for responding so quickly!

DrewBitt

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
Hey, Phil!
I sent you basically the same answers today, though Matt and I did
disagree on a couple of points, namely the Ultimate Zealot mimicking
Maul's Growth (I thought he could use Zealot cards...) and the Flawed
Gen-Factor being affected by going to the sideboard (I said it didn't;
Matt said it did). Considering I didn't read Matt's reply beforehand,
we're really on the same wavelength on this game... ;)
Drew

Phillip George Jaros

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
drew...@aol.com (DrewBitt) writes:

>I sent you basically the same answers today, though Matt and I did
>disagree on a couple of points, namely the Ultimate Zealot mimicking
>Maul's Growth (I thought he could use Zealot cards...) and the Flawed
>Gen-Factor being affected by going to the sideboard (I said it didn't;
>Matt said it did).

I guess I should ask then, who's answers to these two questions should
be consider official?

To be diplomatic, how about Matt's right about Ultimate Zealot and you
are right about Flawed Gen Factor.

I agree that cards like espionage mission, shouldn't get rid of a
Flawed Gen-Factor. I can just see it now Deathtrap is lying in an alley
mumbling "I feel so weak. If only I could go on that espianage mission,
I would be feeling so much better. Nothing like a night out on the town
to fix those flawed genes........" :)

>Considering I didn't read Matt's reply beforehand,
>we're really on the same wavelength on this game... ;)

It is kind of scary, I hope you din't have to play each other in the
WildStorms tournament, you probably would have the exact same deck......

Forbeck3

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
>>It is kind of scary, I hope you din't have to play each other in the
WildStorms tournament, you probably would have the exact same deck......<<

Seeing as how Drew's in La Jolla, CA, and I'm in Colorado, there's little
chance of that happening soon. That's why we sometimes disagree. We rarely
have a chance to discuss our answers before posting them.

As for Spare Ammo, I went with a strict reading of the card. Once the
card's out there, I prefer to play it as written, not as we may have
intended it to be written. We intended Spare Ammo to only be used to
permit another shot with a weapon, not so that the extra attack could be
used for teamwork. However, the way it's written, it could go either way.
Second Strike, on the other hand, is quite clear.

Thanks for helping us to refine the rules.

Matt Forbeck
WildStorms

sascha...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2017, 2:31:55 AM3/30/17
I am only 21 years late in commenting but here we go!

On Thursday, January 25, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Phillip George Jaros wrote:
> Well I've been playing WS for a while now and I have a few questions I
> have been meaning to ask other players. So let the questions begin:

Seems like I have been playing for a while now as well

> Can Ultimate Zealot use Magick to copy Black Razor Training off of a Keeper?

I would say yes

> The PT version of the cards say you can only have one of the trainings,
> but it says that Magick can mimic anything.

The plot twist card does not say you cannot have both trainings. It says 'play on a character without Black Razor Training or Coda Training'. It implies you should not be able to have both, but I think in this case magick would be able to mimic it.

> Does Dane Unleashed!'s Extra Psi, Savant and Brutus's Extra Strength and
> Hexon's Extra Arms all work like Grifter's Weapon Expert Power? i.e. are
> these bonuses accumulative?
> I assume yes, but would like to here from others.

Absolutely they are. For example if I play a 'Quick Aim' combat card (+1 R or +2 PSI) on Dane Unleashed his PSI will go from 8 to 8+2+1 = 11 (very badass psi)

> Can Gnome with orb use his Orb in the Holding or Staging Area?
> I'm assuming no, but wouldn't mind being told yes. :)

No. Characters in the sideboard (staging and holding area) are considered inactive and therefore by extension so are their special abilities.

> Why doesn't H.A.R.M (or should I say didn't :) ) have Flight like Rainmakers?
> He's flown all of the troika around before.

I am not sure why the game creators did not do that. But I would like to comment on a problem with the wordage on Rainmaker's card, it reads Flight: (+1 passengers during intermission). In a campaign game during intermission all of the active characters (not KOd or killed) are moved to the holding area. Rainmaker would not need to take any of them along. Killed characters are put to the side and KOd characters are reshuffled in the deck for the next battle. So does this mean Rainmaker can bring a KOd character to the holding area where it would be automatically fully healed? It seems that way to me. I believe the card could have benefited from some additional specificity such as (+1 KOd passengers during intermission).

> Can Jodunn, Void and Providence Teleport someone in as soon as they come
> into play?
> Seems a bit too powerful for me.

It does seem over powered. In the past me and my friends would play so that special abilities could only be used in a phase that is logically dictated by that special power. For example flight during switch rank phase or Cannon's aerial charge during the combat phase. However in preparation for an upcoming game I have been rereading the rules and now it seems that the rules indicate that special abilities can be used at any time. So yes to your question and as an example, during the recruit phase Jodunn comes onto the battlefield and immediately uses his teleportation device to bring Black Angel into the staging area.

> If Ultimate Zealot used magick to mimic Maul's Growth, would you need to
> have other Ultimate Zealots or would a regular Zealot work?

I applaud you for posing such an absurd question, I see some 21 years ago that your brain cogs were really turning while exploring the awesomeness that is the WSCCG. I would say that a regular zealot would work. They are considered the same character.

> Why the hell does Miles Craven cost so much?????????????
> He screams K.O. me and is worth 6 points!

Yes he can be KOd easily but his abilities are very awesome. Draw a nonunique I.O. agent (remember teamwork ?), and draw and hold 1 extra card!

> Shouldn't pilgrim have ";alternarively Pilgrim cannot be attacked until after
> She attacks." after her Invisibility power?
> Hell she is supposed to be invisible.

She is perfect just the way she is. Perhaps her invisibility does not render her completely undetectable.

> Why is Soma only 4 points?
> He can mimic any power (well except EB, TO and Psi) and has a D of 5.
> Maybe they got Craven and Soma confused. :)

I see your point. Magick is badass and rare. He should be 6 points. He can mimic EB, TO and PSI but it would only be at a strength of 1.

> Can Taboo Subterfuge with her Psi?
> Seems like a legitamite option.

Yes for sure.

> Can Ultimate Zealot copy Virtual Bob's Shock burst power? And if so can
> she second strike with that power?

> Yow! K.O. two people in the same rank in one turn with a C of 9, without
> adding in any bonuses.

I don't have access to those cards. I will edit my post when my library is complete.

> Does mental Wall add 3 Psi for defensive purposes if your Psi is better then
> your D?

I don't have that card either but when defending a PSI attack the defender uses D or PSI, whichever is greater.

> This one is confusing.

> If your opponent attacks one of you characters twice in one turn can you
> play Narrow escape to avoid both attacks?
> I would think so, but it is not clear.

No, you can only use narrow escape to avoid a single attack.

> If you second strike, a player with inconspicous does he recieve two
> subterfuge attacks?
> Again I assume so, but don't know for sure.

No, the inconspicuous card does not grant you subterfuge attacks based on the amount of attacks avoided. It is used for either avoiding an attack or making a subterfuge attack.

> If second Strike enables two attacks, can the second attack be forgoed to
> change what your magick does?

Absolutely not!

> I really would like an answer to this one.
> Why is Red pictured with a sword, if she can't use it? :)

It clearly makes her look more sexy and dangerous.

> I guess it really is a katana and has a requirement of 6 or less.

No comment

> Shouldn't the MIRV have some sort of bonus like "characters are recruited
> from you holding area at half cost (rounding up) and their equipment comes
> along for free"?

I don't have the MIRV card to reference. However, you never pay for characters when recruited from the holding area. You only pay for their equipment.

> I think the most WildC.A.T.s you can normally recruit with it is 2.

> When a character with a flawed Gen-Factor is sent to the staging area by a
> mission card, I realize FGF is not removed, but is the D back up to full
> strength?
> I think this question is probably the most important.

I would say the D gets restored to its full value. The rules state that when a character is moved to the sideboard they become fully healed. Less than maximum D implies an ailment, sickness or nefarious influence of sorts that require healing.

> The Gen-Factor PT is a bit over powered! Can you add a card somewhere along
> the line to get rid of it?
> Hell if he my opponent gets it out in the first battle he has it for the
> whole game!

I dont know of a card that can remove it. My friend puts out a couple of frenzied vampires and then uses Gen-Factor. This gives his 5 point guys a PSI of 7!

> If I play a Night tribes intervene on my own supernatural characters, do
> I need to discard down to 30 points even if the staging area would be dumped
> at the end of my turn?

> I hope not.

I don't have access to this card

> Can you play a reorganize, move a MIRV, Vad HyperCannon, Personal Defence
> System, Heap Ammo, Laser Sight, Satellite Uplink, and a Sword over to a
> K.O'd character and then second wind them to take 36 + cost of character
> away from you opponnent?
> It is legal, but is rather cheesy.

No it is not legal. You don't loose points when your opponents character is healed and their equipment is gone. You would loose point if the equipment was still attached to the revived character.

> O.K. Scanning the timelines says: "If you have Void or Providence active,
> you may use their Teleport ability to recruit 1 character from your
> resources to your staging area for free. This is in addition to their
> regular 1 Teleport per battle. Each player can only play this card once
> per battle." Can I play one in the first battle, and not use it (leaving it
> on the table for the next battle) and then play another one on the table during
> the next battle, only to use them both when I finally draw Providence or Void?
> Again, legal, but cheap.

Yes you could as long as you only play (put on the table) 1 per battle.

> Teleport Boost is just like Scanning the Timelines? So can I play it on
> providence in the first battle, only to play another on Jodunn in the next?
> See last two comments.

Yes