Campaign to Unrestrict

bke...@mailhost.epix.net

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96

When the type one rulings change in October, I'd like to see
the following cards removed from the restricted list:

Fork
Mishra's Workshop

They are both very powerful cards, but in the current Type I environment,
4 of each in a deck is nowhere near as broken as 4 Twisters, 4 Ancestrals, 4
Libraries, or 4 of each Mox, etc. Type I will always be a broken environment,
but I don't think Fork or Mishra's Workshop are as easily (and I stress the
word easily) abused as most of the other restricted cards.
If you agree that either should be unrestricted, please reply here. THanks,

Brian

Greg Janson

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96
bke...@mailhost.epix.net wrote:

> When the type one rulings change in October, I'd like to see
> the following cards removed from the restricted list:
>
> Fork
> Mishra's Workshop

I agree that the Workshop should be unrestricted. I disagree about
the fork, however, for the same reason Regrowth, cane, recall, and,
partially, timetwister are restricted. Simple- They let you re-use
too many cards, too many of them themselves spoilers. Timewalk,
wheel/twist, tutor, and geyser are 5 obvious examples of easy fork
abuse.

In addition, fork has the same problem as copy artifact- too cheap
for copying such a variety of spells.

--
Greg

** "That's not a bug... it's a feature!"
** Sailor Moon Forever ^_^

do...@netcom.com

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96
bke...@mailhost.epix.net wrote:

: When the type one rulings change in October, I'd like to see
: the following cards removed from the restricted list:

: Fork

GIVE IT UP. Fork will never be unrestricted in Type I. It is a COPY CARD.
Repeat. It is a COPY CARD. There are just too many restricted Sorceries
and Instants prevalent in Type I to make this a reasonable card to
unrestrict.

: Mishra's Workshop

This may have some merit however. I'm not sure why it was restricted in
the first place since it was restricted before my time, but it could
easily be because it is a permanent source of fast mana.

I wonder if people would actually bother putting four of these into a deck
consisting primarily of artifacts. I'd expect to see lots of Juggernauts,
Howling Mines, Black Vises, Armageddon Clocks, Clockwork Beasts and other
nasty things. Atog decks would make an even greater comeback than they're
currently enjoying.

: They are both very powerful cards, but in the current Type I environment,

: 4 of each in a deck is nowhere near as broken as 4 Twisters, 4 Ancestrals, 4
: Libraries, or 4 of each Mox, etc.

Of course four of any of those cards would be ridiculous in the Type I
environment. But the point isn't to compare cards to each other. The
point is to evaluate them on how they affect the tournament scene. If
Fork came back you'd see at least 2 or 3 in every tournament deck, if not
four. It's easy to imagine the carnage that unrestricting Fork would have
on Type I.

: Type I will always be a broken environment,

: but I don't think Fork or Mishra's Workshop are as easily (and I stress the
: word easily) abused as most of the other restricted cards.
: If you agree that either should be unrestricted, please reply here. THanks,

On this note, is there anyone who remembers what it was like before
Mishra's Workshop was restricted? Was it a totally killer card that
merited restriction hands down? Or was it a specialty card that only
certain decks could use it in, and thus only certain people played with it?

Let us know.

--

do...@netcom.com

Friday's at First! SF Bay Sanctioned Type I tournaments held at
Who's on First? every other Friday at 7:30pm. Call Jeff at
510-582-1893 for more information. Hope to see you there!

Check out Fabian Thylmann's Tournament Calendar at
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/nathan

Chris Otwell

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/16/96

I agree about the Workshop.

Chris

In article bke...@BKELLY.epix.net, bke...@mailhost.epix.net writes:

> When the type one rulings change in October, I'd like to see
> the following cards removed from the restricted list:
>
> Fork

> Mishra's Workshop

> They are both very powerful cards, but in the current Type I environment,
> 4 of each in a deck is nowhere near as broken as 4 Twisters, 4 Ancestrals, 4

> Libraries, or 4 of each Mox, etc. Type I will always be a broken environment,

> but I don't think Fork or Mishra's Workshop are as easily (and I stress the
> word easily) abused as most of the other restricted cards.
> If you agree that either should be unrestricted, please reply here. THanks,
>

> Brian

Matthew Hall

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/16/96
bke...@mailhost.epix.net wrote:

: When the type one rulings change in October, I'd like to see

: the following cards removed from the restricted list:

: Fork
: Mishra's Workshop

: They are both very powerful cards, but in the current Type I environment,
: 4 of each in a deck is nowhere near as broken as 4 Twisters, 4 Ancestrals, 4
: Libraries, or 4 of each Mox, etc. Type I will always be a broken environment,
: but I don't think Fork or Mishra's Workshop are as easily (and I stress the
: word easily) abused as most of the other restricted cards.
: If you agree that either should be unrestricted, please reply here. THanks,

: Brian

First of all, unrestricting Fork would be a phenomenally bad idea. One
is OK, beacuse it is a nice versatility card, but playing with more than
that would be overkill. Just think about some of the more hellatious
things to Fork: Wheel of Fortune, Time Twister, Braingeyser...yikes.
By being allowed four Forks you are breaking the environment pretty
badly, because you are essentially doubling the amount of a particular
sorcery or instant in you deck. Instead of four Disenchants or Hymn to
Tourachs, your now playing with eight, for example. Nasty...

As for unrestricting Mishra's Workshop....NO! Do you hate Jester's Caps.
I mean do you REALLY hate Jester's Caps. If you don't, then you will if
you think unrestricting Mishra's Workshop is a good idea. Not to mention
artfact creature/Abyss decks will become disgusting, and a first turn Icy
becomes an even greater possibility.

All the cards that are currently restricted are on the list for a reason,
generally a pretty good one. If you don't believe it, then build a test
deck, and proxy these cards, attempting to exploit them. You'll discover
the results to be fairly conclusive.

Matthew Hall

John R Davis

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
In article <dolorDp...@netcom.com>, <do...@netcom.com> wrote:

>On this note, is there anyone who remembers what it was like before
>Mishra's Workshop was restricted? Was it a totally killer card that
>merited restriction hands down? Or was it a specialty card that only
>certain decks could use it in, and thus only certain people played with it?

When Mishra's Workshop was unrestricted, there were a LOT of Juggernaut/
Triskelion/Candelabra/Clone/Copy Artifact/Icy/Abyss decks. Not a lot of fun.
I for one was glad to see it restricted, and I don't think it's any less
powerful now than it was then.

-jrd
--
Internal: John Davis - Software Engineer - T4W HAL02 - Ext. 3618
External: J.R....@nortel.co.uk - 01279 403618

CarlosLee1

May 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/1/96

Whoever wants Fork unrestricted is obviously new to the game.Anyone who
has played with or against a 4-Fork deck and thinks they don't disrupt the
game play is a fool or a liar.

Paul Callis

May 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/2/96

Anyone who has played with or against a 4-Hymn deck and thinks they

don't disrupt the game play is a fool or a liar.

Anyone who has played with or against a 4-Strip deck and thinks they

don't disrupt the game play is a fool or a liar.

Anyone who has played with or against a 4-Vice deck and thinks they
don't disrupt game play is a fool or a liar.

Anyone who has played with or against a 4-Nethervoid deck and thinks
they don't disrupt game play is a fool or a liar.

Anyone who has played with or against a 4-Mana Drain deck and thinks
they don't disrupt game play is a fool or a liar.

-Paul

Alric !

May 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/3/96

On May 02, 1996 18:12:58 in article <Re: Campaign to Unrestrict>, 'Paul

Callis <gt3...@prism.gatech.edu>' wrote:

>CarlosLee1 wrote:
>>
>> Whoever wants Fork unrestricted is obviously new to the game.Anyone who

>> has played with or against a 4-Fork deck and thinks they don't disrupt
the
>> game play is a fool or a liar.

Ok, no offense to anyone but here's what I have to say:

>Anyone who has played with or against a 4-Hymn deck and thinks they
>don't disrupt the game play is a fool or a liar.

Bull. There are many ways to stop them.

>Anyone who has played with or against a 4-Strip deck and thinks they
>don't disrupt the game play is a fool or a liar.

Play with non-land mana sources once in a while...

>Anyone who has played with or against a 4-Vice deck and thinks they
>don't disrupt game play is a fool or a liar.

Type II yes, type I no.

>Anyone who has played with or against a 4-Nethervoid deck and thinks
>they don't disrupt game play is a fool or a liar.

Never played against this.

>Anyone who has played with or against a 4-Mana Drain deck and thinks
>they don't disrupt game play is a fool or a liar.

Hmm...possible, but I have seen only a few...

--
Rob Gerrets
al...@usa.pipeline.com

"Beginners see endless possibilities, experts see few."