Contents of "The Deck"

Brian Weissman

Oct 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/13/95
Since it is certainly public domain(I've given this list verbatim
to about a hundred people or so), I am posting the current contents of
"The Deck" so people will have something to go by when talking or asking
about it. I constructed the original version about 11 Months ago and it
has been evolving since. It has been dominating the Bay Area play scene
for almost as long, and a good percentage of the area's players use it.
Here are the contents, post-chaos orb banning...

Type I "The Deck"

Non-Mana
----------
4 Disenchant
4 Swords to Plowshares
2 Moat
2 Serra Angel
4 Mana Drain
2 Counterspell
2 Red Elemental Blast
2 Disrupting Scepter
1 Jayemdae Tome
1 Regrowth
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Mind Twist
1 Ivory Tower
1 Ancestral Recall
1 Braingeyser
1 Time Walk
1 Timetwister
1 Recall
-------------
Total Non-Mana: 32

Mana Producers
--------------
4 Tundra
2 Volcanic Island
1 Plateau
1 Underground Sea
2 Strip Mine
3 City of Brass
1 Library of Alexandria
4 Islands
3 Plains
1 Mox Jet
1 Mox Pearl
1 Mox Sapphire
1 Mox Ruby
1 Mox Emerald
1 Sol Ring
1 Black Lotus
--------------
Total Mana Producers: 28=47%

Sideboard
----------
2 Divine Offering
2 Control Magic
2 Blood Moon
1 Jayemdae Tome
1 Disrupting Scepter
1 Counterspell
1 Tormod's Crypt
3 COP Red
1 Moat
1 Plains

I could write a book about the play strategy of this deck. It is
designed with a tremendous amount of mid-play decision making in mind, so
it wins in direct proportion to how skillfully it is played. While it is
my now means the best deck to play against any particular type of formula
type I decks: discard, land destruction, Red/green speed, White Weenie,
blue/white permission, etc, it is, in my opinion, the best deck that can
be constructed to combat all of these at once. What wins tournaments is
consistency, and a lack of dependence on luck. Since The Deck is designed
with this in mind, it has been the most consistant tournament performer
I, and many others, have seen. Feel free to write me at:
Bri...@netcom.com with any questions or comments you might have. Take
care all,

-weissman

do...@netcom.com

Oct 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/15/95
Glyn Gibson (Glyn_...@mindlink.bc.ca) wrote:
: In article <brianwDG...@netcom.com>, bri...@netcom.com (Brian
: Weissman) writes:
: >
: > Type I "The Deck"
: >
: > Non-Mana
: > ----------
: > 2 Serra Angel
: > 1 Braingeyser

: I'm saying to you what I've said to everyone else... What if someone kills
: your Serras?

This is the one risk that comes with this deck. There are only three
cards that can kill your opponent, 2 Angels and a BIG Braingeyser. If
those three are gone, you'll have to resign the game, unless you can pull
of an Ancestral Recall/Recall/Ancestral again miracle to run your
opponent out.

Typically though, someone who plays this deck will NOT put a Serra Angel
on the table unless they have two Counterspells in their hand and
possibly one Disenchant. Often, once an Angel hits the table, you have 5
or 6 turns left until you are dead, since she won't be going anywhere,
due to protective magic. Older versions of this deck had only one Angel,
but I suppose since here so many people play with Swords to Plowshares, a
second one is added security.

It's also not unusual for players of The Deck to wait until they've used
their Timetwister or Feldon's Cane to cast the Angel. This way they can
be sure their StoPs have wiped creatures that won't be coming back, and
they can play with assurance that they can draw countermagics at a faster
rate, due to mana producers being on the table, and not in their library.

Now that the Jester's Cap is more prominent, you can expect more versions
of The Deck to contain a bit more power in terms of cards that can kill
their opponent. But if you make a copy of this deck the key thing to
remember is to take it SLOW. This deck is the ultimate control deck in
terms of game tempo and once your opponent has no cards on the table (due
to a Mind Twist) and you have a Serra Angel, Disrupting Sceptre, and two
Counterspells, there is NOTHING they can do.

dolor

Chance Harris

Oct 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/16/95

: In article <brianwDG...@netcom.com>, bri...@netcom.com (Brian
: Weissman) writes:
: >
: > Msg-ID: <brianwDG...@netcom.com>
: >
: > Org. : NETCOM On-line Communication Services (408 261-4700 guest)
: >
: > Since it is certainly public domain(I've given this list verbatim

: > to about a hundred people or so), I am posting the current contents of
: > "The Deck" so people will have something to go by when talking or asking
: > about it. I constructed the original version about 11 Months ago and it
: > has been evolving since. It has been dominating the Bay Area play scene
: > for almost as long, and a good percentage of the area's players use it.
: > Here are the contents, post-chaos orb banning...
: >
: > Type I "The Deck"
: >
; > [the deck deleted]

: I'm saying to you what I've said to everyone else... What if someone kills
: your Serras?

If they do -- you lose, unless you get them back out of the graveyard.

This is not a flame, but HAVE YOU PLAYED WITH OR AGAINST THIS DECK ?
I would guess no. People just don't kill your Serras, if you play it right.
The Serra's are NEVER put into play, until the opponent is out of cards (in hand),
and you have a counter spell in your hand. The way this deck loses, (from
my limited expereiece with it) is either big-creature speed AND a bad draw (i.e. no
STP or moat available or control magic) or to deck that does about the
same thing - permission/destruction,get ahead in card count, and get one
worthwile creature out.

Chance Harris
Motorola Emerging Computing Operations
cha...@coyote.sps.mot.com