Mission Impossible: MONO-GREEN LANDDESTRUCTION won GP Lyon

Daniel Brickwell

Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98

I am proud to report, that a _mono-green_ land destruction deck built by
Raphael Levy, Team Legion, won the Grand Prix Lyon. This proves that both
Land Destruction and mono-green are viable in the toughest constructed
format we have right now! So stop whining! (Atleast about green.)

Btw. The deck also took 9th in GP Madrid (Raphael intentional drew in the
last round to his detirment...) and made Top 8 in three qualifiers running
in Costa Mesa, California. It also won a Qualifier in Belgium...

Without further ado here is the deck and its developement:

This is the version Raphael played in Lyon:

14 Forest
4 Mishra's Factory
4 Wasteland
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Fyndhorn Elves
4 Wall of Roots
4 Thermokarst
4 Winter grasp
3 Creeping Mold
4 Ernham Djinn
3 Triskelion
2 Serrated Arrows
2 Icy Manip.
1 Cursed Scroll
3 Stunted Growth

Sideboard:
2 Tranquil Domain
1 Tranquil Groove
3 Serrated Biskelions
2 Cursed Scroll
2 Serrated Arrows
1 Creeping Mold
4 Uktabi Orangutans

This is the history of the deck...

----------------------------
Here's the original version of the Legion Land Loss (LLL) deck, which
Manuel Bevand (France) did and sent over to his legion fellows. The
original design credit goes to Nicolas Labarre (France), friend of Manuel
(though not a legion member) who played a version of this deck one year
ago (with strpi mines and tornadoes). The deck didn't survive the loss of
strip mine, but with wasteland and Winter's grasp, it was time for a
rebirth.

Monogreen LD - Alpha Version

A.K.A "the LEGION LAND LOSS" deck

4 Creeping Mold
4 Thermokarst
4 Winter's Grasp
4 Wasteland
4 Stunted Growth

Fast Mana

4 Llanowar Elves
2 Fyndhorn Elves
4 wall of roots

Damage

3 triskelions
3 cursed scrolls
4 mishras factory

14 forests

SB:

4 Barded Foliage
4 Orangutans
4 Tranquil domains
3 Autumn Willow

Raphael Levy (France) worked a lot on the deck in Toulouse and came up
with this:

4 Llanowar Elves
4 Fyndhorn Elves
4 Ernham Djinns
3 Triskelions
4 Wall of Roots

4 Winter Grasp
4 Themokarst
4 Creeping Mold
4 Wasteland

4 Stunted Growth
1 Recycle
2 Icy Manipulator

4 Mishra's Factories
14 Forests

Sideboard:
2 Tranquil Domain
2 Uktabi Orangutan
3 Serrated Biskelon
4 Stormseeker
4 Barbed Folliage

Alan Comer (California) played this deck in a qualifier, went 7-1 in the
rounds and lost in the semis.

4 x Thermokarst
4 x Winter's Grasp
4 x Creeping Mold
1 x Kudzu
4 x Icy Manipulator
4 x Wastelands

4 x Llanowar Elf
4 x Fyndhorn Elf
4 x Triskelion
3 x Erhnam Djinn
3 x Wall of Roots
4 x Mishra's Factory

4 x Stunted Growth

13 x Forest

Sideboard
1 x Tranquility (Should be a Tranquil Domain)
2 x Tranquil Domain
4 x Uktabi Orangutang (Needed More!)
2 x Natures Wrath (To LOCK necro)
1 x Tsunami
3 x Barbed Folliage (One would be enough)
1 x Storm Seeker (Never used)
1 x Serrated Biskellion

Zvi Mowshowitz and Alex Shvarstman experienced another version in NYC,
mainly the same deck with untouchables (Centaurs/beetles) instead of
Ernie/Triskie.

Gary Wise in Toronto worked on this version:

4 Winters Grasp
4 Thermokarst
4 fallow earth
4 Creeping Mold
4 Llanowar Elves
4 Fyndhorn Elves
4 Eladamri, Lord of leaves
4 Jolrael's centaurs
4 Cursed Scroll
2 Triskellion (still working on these 2 spots, the Trikes may be replaced)
4 Stunted growth

14 Forests
4 WASTELAND

Friendly Greetings,

Daniel Brickwell

Team Highway to Hell
Advisor to Team Legion

Doland Cheung

Feb 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/10/98

Daniel Brickwell wrote:

> I am proud to report, that a _mono-green_ land destruction deck built by
> Raphael Levy, Team Legion, won the Grand Prix Lyon. This proves that both
> Land Destruction and mono-green are viable in the toughest constructed
> format we have right now! So stop whining! (Atleast about green.)

Not surprising, since Tempest brought Winter's Grasp, a playable 3rd LD spell
and uncounterable LD in Wasteland. My friend put together a G/u type 1 when
Tempest first came out, sporting Ice Storms, counters, and untargetables. It
was a pain in the ass. 1st turn mana creature, 2nd turn LD. Only thing it
lacked was a lock down card when the LD spells didn't come up. Even without
the lock, the fast weenies and Mr. Ernie usually kicked my ass unless I got a
quick Serendib out. Too bad we don't play in any 'real' tournaments. We were
jazzed to see Comer do well with one in Costa Mesa. There is such a thing as
parallel deck construction. Comer's Kudzu was original though. Wish we'd
thought of that one....

doland

Daniel Godden

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

> Daniel Brickwell wrote:
>
> > I am proud to report, that a _mono-green_ land destruction deck built by
> > Raphael Levy, Team Legion, won the Grand Prix Lyon. This proves that both
> > Land Destruction and mono-green are viable in the toughest constructed
> > format we have right now! So stop whining! (Atleast about green.)

I am not whining, I played Mono-green LandKill in the PTQLA here, I
finished 5-2 after the rounds of swiss and missed out on the final 8 by
1 spot (I came 9th).

This was the basic deck..

4 Eladamri's Vineyard
4 Llanowar Elves

4 Creeping Mold
4 Winter Grasp
4 Thermokast
4 Wasteland

4 Ernham Djinn
4 Dirtcowl Wurm
4 Jolrael's Centaur
4 Cursed Scroll
2 Storm Seeker

14 Forest

It made a mess of most decks, I lost to a coounter/burn deck, and a G/R
critter burn. But both of those where close. Mono-green landkill is good
for the current Extended environment, especially the Vineyards.

Daniel Godden

Christian Martinez

Feb 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/13/98

> Daniel Brickwell wrote:
>
> > I am proud to report, that a _mono-green_ land destruction deck built by
> > Raphael Levy, Team Legion, won the Grand Prix Lyon. This proves that
both
> > Land Destruction and mono-green are viable in the toughest constructed
> > format we have right now! So stop whining! (Atleast about green.)

Pipo, c'est le roi des combos (aussi) !

/< r i s