Is there any chance of Mishra's Workshop getting unrestricted?

Brian Kelly

Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96

Is it possible that Mishra's Workshop could be unrestricted.
Sure, it does offer alot of quick mana, but

A.It can only be used to CAST artifacts.
B.It really only works in the right kind of deck, and anyone who is
playing mono-artifact deserves some sort of strategical advantage,
other than "I hope I draw the Workshop early."
C.IMHO, with 4 Workshops in a deck, the worst thing would be that
a Colossus of Sardia hits the table by Turn 3, but how long can it
actually survive in the Type I environment? Eventually, the Artificer
will have no cards in his hand, and all the Workshop is is a matter of
speed for him.

Well, to me 4 Mishra's Workshops seems no worse than 1 in a deck.
Unrestricting them would encourage more Artifact decks anyway.
I know the Workshop can be obscene, but compared to the rest of the
Restricted cards, it's nothing.

Brian

Sam Bryant

Mar 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/24/96
In article <NEWTNews.827549...@BKELLY.epix.net>, Brian Kelly
<bke...@mailhost.epix.net> wrote:

I have to agree. A Workshop is not powerful enough in a normal deck (i.e.
mostly colored spells) to justify restriction. Though it can help an
artificer get his colossus out early, the mana is usable only for CASTING
artifacts. how will he pump/pay upkeep/charge/ect his artifacts? MW
should be unrestricted. 4 in a deck can't hurt.

Sam Bryant
samp...@netdepot.com
sam_b...@atlmug.org
---------------------
"The devil made him do it." "We have documents."
-Milo Bloom -Mike Binkley

Peter M White

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96
samp...@netdepot.com (Sam Bryant) writes:

>> Is it possible that Mishra's Workshop could be unrestricted.
>> Sure, it does offer alot of quick mana, but
>>

>I have to agree. A Workshop is not powerful enough in a normal deck (i.e.
>mostly colored spells) to justify restriction. Though it can help an
>artificer get his colossus out early, the mana is usable only for CASTING
>artifacts. how will he pump/pay upkeep/charge/ect his artifacts? MW
>should be unrestricted. 4 in a deck can't hurt.

I agree.

IMHO, the important thing to keep in mind is that there are many, many ways
to deal with artifacts for every color. Of all the deck themes in the
world, artifact decks are certainly the easiest to sideboard into oblivion.
In a tournament situation, the only reason to lose is because you chose
to sideboard against other threats instead. We will never see a domination
by artifact decks because there will be plenty of White heavy decks with
Dust to Dust and Divine Offering in the sideboard.

--Peter
p-w...@uiuc.edu

Albert Ko

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96

On Sun, 24 Mar 1996, Sam Bryant wrote:

> In article <NEWTNews.827549...@BKELLY.epix.net>, Brian Kelly
> <bke...@mailhost.epix.net> wrote:
>

> > Is it possible that Mishra's Workshop could be unrestricted.
> > Sure, it does offer alot of quick mana, but
> >

> > A.It can only be used to CAST artifacts.
> > B.It really only works in the right kind of deck, and anyone who is
> > playing mono-artifact deserves some sort of strategical advantage,
> > other than "I hope I draw the Workshop early."
> > C.IMHO, with 4 Workshops in a deck, the worst thing would be that
> > a Colossus of Sardia hits the table by Turn 3, but how long can it
> > actually survive in the Type I environment? Eventually, the Artificer
> > will have no cards in his hand, and all the Workshop is is a matter of
> > speed for him.
> >
> > Well, to me 4 Mishra's Workshops seems no worse than 1 in a deck.
> > Unrestricting them would encourage more Artifact decks anyway.
> > I know the Workshop can be obscene, but compared to the rest of the
> > Restricted cards, it's nothing.
> >

> > Brian
>

> I have to agree. A Workshop is not powerful enough in a normal deck (i.e.
> mostly colored spells) to justify restriction. Though it can help an
> artificer get his colossus out early, the mana is usable only for CASTING
> artifacts. how will he pump/pay upkeep/charge/ect his artifacts? MW
> should be unrestricted. 4 in a deck can't hurt.
>

> Sam Bryant

Well, the "official" policy of WotC nowadays is that cards that are
"overefficent" are too powerful. Thus these cards usually become victims
of their own efficency. How would you like to face a horde of Jade
Statues, Juggernauts, Clockwork creatures, yadda-yadda creatures on the
early going (especially with Moxes, Lotus, Sol Ring, and Fastbond
involved). I think there really should be semi-restricted cards which
you can only have two of, like the Workshop. Four Workshops would be a bit
much, especially in an Abyss deck.

Dahl

Mar 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/27/96
to bke...@mailhost.epix.net
Brian Kelly <bke...@mailhost.epix.net> wrote:

>Is it possible that Mishra's Workshop could be unrestricted.

> C.IMHO, with 4 Workshops in a deck, the worst thing would be that

> a Colossus of Sardia hits the table by Turn 3,

Sorry to quibble but if you'll allow me to demonstrate.

1st turn:

Workshop, Sol ring, Mana Vault, Basalt Monolith,

2nd turn:

Colossus!

An if there's a Lotus in the draw it comes down turn one!!!!!

And with a green mox and an instill there's trouble.

Yes I know the odds are steep, but you asked (wait...no you didn't.. too
bad it's here anyway.)

Chris

Craig Sivils

Mar 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/27/96
Dahl <da...@direct.ca> wrote:

>Brian Kelly <bke...@mailhost.epix.net> wrote:
>>

>>Is it possible that Mishra's Workshop could be unrestricted.

>> C.IMHO, with 4 Workshops in a deck, the worst thing would be that
>> a Colossus of Sardia hits the table by Turn 3,

>Sorry to quibble but if you'll allow me to demonstrate.

>1st turn:

>Workshop, Sol ring, Mana Vault, Basalt Monolith,

Island sol ring, mana valut, su-chi

>2nd turn:

>Colossus!

Drop another island, attack with su-chi for 4, transmute
artifact su-chi => colossus and take a point of mana burn.

>An if there's a Lotus in the draw it comes down turn one!!!!!

Ditto

>And with a green mox and an instill there's trouble.

Ditto

>Yes I know the odds are steep, but you asked (wait...no you didn't.. too
>bad it's here anyway.)

It also isn't a problem unique to workshop.

Craig

Jimmy McDonald

Mar 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/27/96
samp...@netdepot.com (Sam Bryant) wrote:
>In article <NEWTNews.827549...@BKELLY.epix.net>, Brian Kelly

><bke...@mailhost.epix.net> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible that Mishra's Workshop could be unrestricted.
>> Sure, it does offer alot of quick mana, but
>>
>> A.It can only be used to CAST artifacts.
>> B.It really only works in the right kind of deck, and anyone who is
>> playing mono-artifact deserves some sort of strategical advantage,
>> other than "I hope I draw the Workshop early."
>> C.IMHO, with 4 Workshops in a deck, the worst thing would be that
>> a Colossus of Sardia hits the table by Turn 3, but how long can it
>> actually survive in the Type I environment? Eventually, the Artificer
>> will have no cards in his hand, and all the Workshop is is a matter of
>> speed for him.
>>
>> Well, to me 4 Mishra's Workshops seems no worse than 1 in a deck.
>> Unrestricting them would encourage more Artifact decks anyway.
>> I know the Workshop can be obscene, but compared to the rest of the
>> Restricted cards, it's nothing.
>>

>> Brian
>
>I have to agree. A Workshop is not powerful enough in a normal deck (i.e.
>mostly colored spells) to justify restriction. Though it can help an
>artificer get his colossus out early, the mana is usable only for CASTING
>artifacts. how will he pump/pay upkeep/charge/ect his artifacts? MW
>should be unrestricted. 4 in a deck can't hurt.
>
>Sam Bryant
>samp...@netdepot.com
>sam_b...@atlmug.org
>---------------------
>"The devil made him do it." "We have documents."
> -Milo Bloom -Mike Binkley
i have to completely disagree.. if you could use 4 workshops..
jayemdae tomes would show up in every deck.. as would the workshops.

not that seeing those would make decks too powerful..just too predictable.
jm

5

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96
: Is it possible that Mishra's Workshop could be unrestricted.
No. And here's why:

: A.It can only be used to CAST artifacts.
Turn One: Workshop, Mox--Jester's Cap.
Turn Two: Land-Use cap
Turn Three: Land, Cast cap, use cap.
You get the idea.
Po
Poker Face.

The Dragon Reborn

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96
Sam Bryant (samp...@netdepot.com) wrote:
[...]

I agree also. All artifact decks are almost, but not quite fast enough
to be really, really effective. An unrestricted MW would just do the
trick. OK now, I have two of them, who can I talk into trading me two more?

Bill

The Dragon Reborn

Mar 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/29/96
5 (rbl...@panix.com) wrote:
: : Is it possible that Mishra's Workshop could be unrestricted.
: No. And here's why:
: : A.It can only be used to CAST artifacts.
: Turn One: Workshop, Mox--Jester's Cap.

: Turn Two: Land-Use cap
: Turn Three: Land, Cast cap, use cap.
: You get the idea.

But we are talking T1 here and it is most likely that the first one will
get disenchanted, and the second mana drained. What is the problem?

Bill

Jonathan Paxman

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96

:
: I have to agree. A Workshop is not powerful enough in a normal deck (i.e.
: mostly colored spells) to justify restriction. Though it can help an
: artificer get his colossus out early, the mana is usable only for CASTING
: artifacts. how will he pump/pay upkeep/charge/ect his artifacts? MW
: should be unrestricted. 4 in a deck can't hurt.

Ewww!!

First turn Jester's Caps would be popping up all over the place! Not to
mention Icy Manipulators, Jayemdae Tomes, etc..

IMHO some of the Weissman variant could look VERY nasty with 3 or 4 MW's

Jon P

How many Bass players does it take to change a lightbulb?

None. The Pianist can do it with his left hand.

Jonathan Paxman | Mathematics and Electrical Engineering at
jpa...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au | The University of Western Australia

Monica Severa

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
to wcr...@indy.net
wcr...@indy.net (The Dragon Reborn) wrote:

>I agree also. All artifact decks are almost, but not quite fast enough
>to be really, really effective. An unrestricted MW would just do the
>trick. OK now, I have two of them, who can I talk into trading me two more?
>
>Bill

Are you aware that there are actually decks out there that use lots of artifacts and still use other colors? Sure, unrestricting Wor=
kshops would make mono-artifacts be almost tournament viable, but did you ever think of what it would do for U/W/B decks with a high=
artifact percentage? They would dominate. Most games would start off with a first turn Icy or Jade Statue. Did you ever think of wh=
at it could do for a deck like Chip Hoagan's? Any player with a minimum of deck building ability could achieve a Winter Orb lock be =
turn 2-4.

The Deulist's Convocation isn't entirely stupid. They knew what they were doing when they restricted Mishra's Workshop.

-Matt