Something odd about rule 305.9

ne...@zzo38computer.org.invalid

Oct 17, 2020, 9:02:25 PM10/17/20
Rule 305.9 says that an object that is both a land and another type cannot
be cast, but it doesn't otherwise say that a land cannot be cast. Is this
a mistake? It seems unintentional to me, that it should say that any object
whose type is land cannot be cast, whether or not it has any other types.

I found this when discussing on IRC about modal double-face cards, and how
some specific rules regarding them work.

--
This signature intentionally left blank.
(But if it has these words, then actually it isn't blank, isn't it?)

Magnus de Laval

Dec 10, 2020, 2:56:23 PM12/10/20
You could consider 305.9 as basically clarification that any card with "Land" on the type line can't be cast. A card like Ancient Den (Artifact Land) or Dryad Arbor (Land Creature) cannot be cast even though they are an Artifact and a Creature respectively, as "lands cannot be cast" overrides "creatures and artifacts can be cast". MDFCs are a little different, as each side of the card could be considered separate cards for casting/playing purposes. E.g. the side Emeria's Call is never considered a Land, and Emeria, Shattered Skyclave is never considered a Sorcery (queue Crucible of Worlds shenanigans...).