Chimeric Idol and summoning sickness

Fabyss

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
Does the Chimeric Idol suffer from summoning sickness the turn the card
comes into play??

In other words, is it allowad to play the Chimeric Idol With 3 lands, then
to use its ability to transform it and then attack with it??

Thanks for your answers.

Fabyss.

Orgg99

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00

>Does the Chimeric Idol suffer from summoning sickness the turn the card
>comes into play??

Yes.

>In other words, is it allowad to play the Chimeric Idol With 3 lands, then
>to use its ability to transform it and then attack with it??

Well, you can use its ability to animate it,
but you cannot attack with it, since it has
"summoning sickness", ie., it does not
have "haste". All pemanents have
"summoning sickness" (now an obsolete
term) the turn they come into play.

Markus Polvivaara

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
Every card that is under your control as a creature, no matter if it was
"Animated creature" or creature is affected by summoning sickness unless it
began the turn under your control. So yes, it does suffer the summoning
sickness.

Fabyss wrote:

> Does the Chimeric Idol suffer from summoning sickness the turn the card
> comes into play??
>

> In other words, is it allowad to play the Chimeric Idol With 3 lands, then
> to use its ability to transform it and then attack with it??
>

> Thanks for your answers.
>
> Fabyss.

Markus Polvivaara markus.p...@pp.inet.fi
Risteentie 18
32800 Kokemäki "Are you SURE you want to do that"
Finland (Rethink)

visit: mtgdome.cjb.net

Steve Lord

Jul 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/22/00
On Sat, 22 Jul 2000, Fabyss wrote:

> Does the Chimeric Idol suffer from summoning sickness the turn the card
> comes into play??

Yes; but it's only _affected_ by it if it becomes a creature that same
turn.

> In other words, is it allowad to play the Chimeric Idol With 3 lands, then
> to use its ability to transform it and then attack with it??

Everything except that last part. You can play it with 3 lands in play,
animate it, but you won't be able to attack unless something's giving it
Haste.

Steve L

David DeLaney

Jul 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/23/00
"Fabyss" <fco...@club-internet.fr> writes:
>Does the Chimeric Idol suffer from summoning sickness the turn the card
>comes into play??

Let's put it this way: it -has- summon-sickness the turn it appears in play
(and stays 'sick' until it starts its controller's turn under their control);
it -suffers- from it only if it becomes a creature while it's still 'sick'.

>In other words, is it allowad to play the Chimeric Idol With 3 lands, then
>to use its ability to transform it

Yes, sure.

>and then attack with it??

Nope; it was a 'sick' artifact, though it didn't care while it was only
an artifact, so it turned into a 'sick' creature and now it can't attack.

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney d...@panacea.phys.utk.edu "It's not the pot that grows the flower
http://panacea.phys.utk.edu/~dbd/ - net.legends FAQ/ I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.

Joshua Bardwell

Jul 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/23/00
On Sat, 22 Jul 2000 23:41:08 +0200, "Fabyss"
<fco...@club-internet.fr> wrote:

>Does the Chimeric Idol suffer from summoning sickness the turn the card
>comes into play??

Yes, it is summoning sick the turn it comes into play, however, unless
it becomes a creature, the summoning sickness does nothing. The
interaction of summoning sickness and non-creature permanents is an
area of confusion for many Magic players. Here are some examples that
may clear things up:

I play an Archivist (1/1 creature; tap to draw a card). The Archivist
is sick until it starts my turn under my control, and since it's a
creature as well, it is affected by the sickness. I can't tap it to
draw a card until my next turn.

I play an Urza's Blueprints (artifact; tap to draw a card). The
Blueprints are sick as well, but since they're not a creature, the
sickness has no effect. I can tap them to draw a card this turn.

KEY CONCEPT: All permanents suffer from summoning sickness, but it
only has an effect on creatures.

I play a Masticore (4/4 artifact creature; 2 to regen, 2 to deal 1
damage to any creature). The Masticore is sick, and since it is a
creature as well as an artifact, it is affected by the sickness.
However, since none of its abilities require tapping as a cost, I
_CAN_ play its abilities this turn.

KEY CONCEPT: If an ability doesn't require tapping as a part of its
cost, it can still be played, even if the permanent with the ability
is sick.

I play a Lurking Evil (enchantment; pay half your life to turn it into
a 4/4 creature). The Evil is sick, but since it's not a creature, it
is not affected by the sickness. If I use its ability to make it a
creature this turn, then it will be affected by the sickness and I
will not be allowed to attack or block with it. Next turn, when the
Evil starts my turn under my control, the sickness will go away, and
if I make it into a creature, it can attack and block immediately.

KEY CONCEPT: It doesn't matter whether the permanent was a creature at
the beginning of your turn or not, if the PERMANENT started your turn
under your control, it is no longer sick.

Joshua

Paul A. Casacci III

Jul 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/23/00
mostly right... see correction below:

<buzzzz> this is a little off:

> I will not be allowed to attack or block with it. Next turn, when the
> Evil starts my turn under my control, the sickness will go away, and
> if I make it into a creature, it can attack and block immediately.

When a creature is sick it cannot attack or use abilities that require
tapping as part of the cost. Blocking is neither attacking nor is it an
ability, so you can block with a sick creature just fine. This is
described in the definition of Haste in the Comprehensive rules:

Haste
Normally a creature can't attack or use activated
abilities whose cost includes tapping the creature
unless it's been controlled by the player continuously
since the most recent beginning of that controller's
turn. Haste is a static ability that allows a creature
to ignore this rule. See rule 502.5, "Haste."

Otherwise I think your description is OK.

Paul

Orgg99

Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00

>If I use its ability to make it a
>creature this turn, then it will be affected by the sickness and I

>will not be allowed to attack or block with it.

"block with it"? You can block with
a "sick" creature just fine. "Summoning
sickness" has nothing to do with blocking.

Joshua Bardwell

Jul 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM7/24/00
On Sun, 23 Jul 2000 20:27:50 -0400, "Paul A. Casacci III"
<pac...@together.net> wrote:

>When a creature is sick it cannot attack or use abilities that require
>tapping as part of the cost. Blocking is neither attacking nor is it an
>ability, so you can block with a sick creature just fine. This is
>described in the definition of Haste in the Comprehensive rules:

Thank you--you're absolutely right. My typing fingers got ahead of my
brain there.

Joshua