Shadowmage

Spa...@yahoo.com

Oct 25, 2001, 1:19:12 PM10/25/01
i've noticed that the price of Shandowmage Inf has gone WAY up,
did someone find some really great combo with him, or did people
just start to realize how good he actually was?

--
******************
G. Keith Slade

Dalhousie Computer Science Society
V.P. Internal
6050 University Ave
Office 208
Halifax, NS
Canada B3H 1W5

http://www.keithslade.com
"Everyone's Mortal But Me!!"

Patrik Linell

Oct 25, 2001, 1:48:38 PM10/25/01
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 17:19:12 +0000 (UTC), Spa...@yahoo.com wrote:

>i've noticed that the price of Shandowmage Inf has gone WAY up,
>did someone find some really great combo with him, or did people
>just start to realize how good he actually was?

Personally, I think it's hype. Shadowmage Infiltrator is a good card,
but when all is said and done, it's a cheap, black Thieving Magpie. I
don't think it's worth $20, as I've seen it going for.

Patrik Linell

DCI level 1 judge (level 2 being imagined)

Tobias Flatin

Oct 25, 2001, 3:49:14 PM10/25/01
Patrik Linell <p...@claymore.nu> wrote in message

Just saw a lot of 4 going for $90 on an auction site! Geez...

Karl Allen

Oct 25, 2001, 4:22:21 PM10/25/01
Spa...@yahoo.com wrote:
> i've noticed that the price of Shandowmage Inf has gone WAY up,
> did someone find some really great combo with him, or did people
> just start to realize how good he actually was?

He's pretty much a one card combo; as in, once he's out and swinging he'll
give you enough card advantage to win lots of games. It's probably not
as good as some people are thinking right now, but he does have a lot going
for him. He's hard to kill (being a 1/3 and Black), he's got evasion, and
he lets control fiends fill up their hand while dishing out damage, something
that makes those kinds of players giggle with sadistic glee.

I remain stocking up on Volcanic Hammers, Urza's Rages, and Lightning Darts,

Cutting Edge

Oct 26, 2001, 5:28:43 AM10/26/01

<Spa...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:9r9hig$nau$1...@News.Dal.Ca...

> i've noticed that the price of Shandowmage Inf has gone WAY up,
> did someone find some really great combo with him, or did people
> just start to realize how good he actually was?

He's great, can't be killed by most blac "destroy target creature" spells,
evasive, draws cards (brilliant ability) 3 toughness is handy, can't be
shocked or sealed etc. etc.

The price has gone waayyyy up because everyone wants 4 of them and not
enough packs have been opened to meet demand yet (if thy ever will). Supply
and demand at work. We're out of them as are most of the other big dealers
in the world.

Chad.

HCCommander

Oct 26, 2001, 6:37:29 AM10/26/01
Typing delicately by Spa...@yahoo.com resulted with the following:

> i've noticed that the price of Shandowmage Inf has gone WAY up,
> did someone find some really great combo with him, or did people
> just start to realize how good he actually was?

Look what Phyrexian Scuta is worth today. Look what Phyrexian Scuta was
worth at the beginning of the year. Expect the price of Shadowmage
Infiltrator to go down. I haven't kept any. If you're not desperately
needing them for a tournament, wait as long as possible till you try to get
(back) some. That's my advice.
--
Commander
<commander at holycows.de>

Cutting Edge

Oct 26, 2001, 7:57:56 AM10/26/01

"HCCommander" <nu...@holycows.de> wrote in message

> Typing delicately by Spa...@yahoo.com resulted with the following:
>
> > i've noticed that the price of Shandowmage Inf has gone WAY up,
> > did someone find some really great combo with him, or did people
> > just start to realize how good he actually was?
> >

> Look what Phyrexian Scuta is worth today. Look what Phyrexian Scuta was
> worth at the beginning of the year.

In Spain Scuta has always been higher priced than any other card in the set.
They like big monsters over there. Also, Planeshift is a small set, you only
have to open a box to get one Scuta. (ish) In big sets (lie Odyssey) you
have to open 3 + boxes to get any particular rare so the price of the best
rares is always going to be 2-3 tiems higher than the best rares in the
small sets - unless WotC put another Masticore in a small set where everyone
can play four in any deck.

Expect the price of Shadowmage
> Infiltrator to go down.

No Chance. The only difference between Infiltrator and Rishadan Port is that
Rishadan Port slowly became more valuable til it was at the 12-15 pounds
mark. Shadowmage has gone straight to the top of the pricing scale and will
remain there til the set rotates out - and beyond as it's good in extended.
The demand is simply so high.

I haven't kept any.

You'll be kicking yourself if you play in any tourney where you get beat by
decks featuring this card.

If you're not desperately
> needing them for a tournament, wait as long as possible till you try to
get
> (back) some. That's my advice.

Everyone desperately needs them for tourneys - wait til New Orleans and
you'll see what I mean. They'll be al over the shop. And all Standard
tourneys should be dominated by Meddling Mage/Vindicate/Infiltrator decks at
the moment. It doesn't matter if you get the cards now or 6 months down the
line. You will end up having to get them to make the best decks and they
wont get any cheaper.

In fact, if you look at Morphling, it's gotten more and more valuable as
time has gone by, packs of Saga are not available and people still need this
great card - the price continues to rise.

Chad.
http://www.cutting-edge-cards.com

David Chapman

Oct 26, 2001, 8:58:36 AM10/26/01
"Cutting Edge" <ch...@cutting-edge-cards.com> wrote in message news:9rbirn$sq579$1...@ID-90025.news.dfncis.de...

> And all Standard
> tourneys should be dominated by Meddling Mage/Vindicate/Infiltrator decks at
> the moment.

Except the Standard tourneys where anyone has bothered playing
Delta Force; I took my rough second draft against U/W/b in last
night's practice session and crushed it in every game where it didn't
get a God draw.

--
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
It's unbelievably important. You should eat

Justin Sexton

Oct 27, 2001, 11:06:08 AM10/27/01
"David Chapman" <evil...@madasafish.com> wrote in message news:<9rbs19$se5ek$1...@ID-93395.news.dfncis.de>...

> "Cutting Edge" <ch...@cutting-edge-cards.com> wrote in message news:9rbirn$sq579$1...@ID-90025.news.dfncis.de...
> >
> > And all Standard
> > tourneys should be dominated by Meddling Mage/Vindicate/Infiltrator decks at
> > the moment.
>
> Except the Standard tourneys where anyone has bothered playing
> Delta Force; I took my rough second draft against U/W/b in last
> night's practice session and crushed it in every game where it didn't
> get a God draw.

So what was your overall record? Including mana screw, colorscrew, God
draws, and everything. Can't throw out results that you don't like.

Justin

David Chapman

Oct 27, 2001, 1:19:13 PM10/27/01
"Justin Sexton" <jsextonpr...@lycos.com> wrote in message news:f1b6d8d0.01102...@posting.google.com...

4-1 unsideboarded. We didn't have that much time to test, but the
results were fairly convincing; U/W/b just rolled over and died unless
it got a triple-Vindicate-and-Finkel draw.

Justin Sexton

Oct 28, 2001, 10:17:08 AM10/28/01
"David Chapman" <evil...@madasafish.com> wrote in message news:<9rf7io$tltv8$1...@ID-93395.news.dfncis.de>...

> "Justin Sexton" <jsextonpr...@lycos.com> wrote in message news:f1b6d8d0.01102...@posting.google.com...

> > > Except the Standard tourneys where anyone has bothered playing
> > > Delta Force; I took my rough second draft against U/W/b in last
> > > night's practice session and crushed it in every game where it didn't
> > > get a God draw.
> >
> > So what was your overall record? Including mana screw, colorscrew, God
> > draws, and everything. Can't throw out results that you don't like.
>
> 4-1 unsideboarded. We didn't have that much time to test, but the
> results were fairly convincing; U/W/b just rolled over and died unless
> it got a triple-Vindicate-and-Finkel draw.

Small sample size, but interesting. I take it the matches weren't
particularly close? What reasonable changes would you make to improve
the UWb decklist?

Justin

David Chapman

Oct 28, 2001, 10:48:41 AM10/28/01

> > > So what was your overall record? Including mana screw, colorscrew, God
> > > draws, and everything. Can't throw out results that you don't like.
> >
> > 4-1 unsideboarded. We didn't have that much time to test, but the
> > results were fairly convincing; U/W/b just rolled over and died unless
> > it got a triple-Vindicate-and-Finkel draw.
>
> Small sample size, but interesting. I take it the matches weren't
> particularly close?

The one I lost to triple Vindicate was close. The ones I won weren't
even remotely close.

> What reasonable changes would you make to improve
> the UWb decklist?

There are none that I can see. Adding more things to handle
the Successions reduces the amount of big creatures you can
handle, and there are already too many for you to handle. And
failure to handle the Succession is death, of course. Combine that
with the flashback bugs crippling counter-based decks, already
weakened by the number of viable counterspells falling to three
(Counterspell, Absorb, Undermine - nothing else cuts it) and I
honestly don't think the archetype is viable any more.

Justin Sexton

Oct 29, 2001, 10:45:49 AM10/29/01
"David Chapman" <evil...@madasafish.com> wrote in message news:<9rhddl$t1lff$2...@ID-93395.news.dfncis.de>...

I'm not sure about that yet. Syncopate and Washout are excellent
hosers against flashback and against Delta Force, and seem good enough
to maindeck.

Question: seeing as how the Succession affect both players, what's the
strategy for the mirror match?

Justin

David Chapman

Oct 29, 2001, 10:50:39 AM10/29/01
"Justin Sexton" <jsextonpr...@lycos.com> wrote in message news:f1b6d8d0.0110...@posting.google.com...

> "David Chapman" <evil...@madasafish.com> wrote in message news:<9rhddl$t1lff$2...@ID-93395.news.dfncis.de>...
> > "Justin Sexton" <jsextonpr...@lycos.com> wrote in message news:f1b6d8d0.01102...@posting.google.com...
> > > What reasonable changes would you make to improve
> > > the UWb decklist?
> >
> > There are none that I can see. Adding more things to handle
> > the Successions reduces the amount of big creatures you can
> > handle, and there are already too many for you to handle. And
> > failure to handle the Succession is death, of course. Combine that
> > with the flashback bugs crippling counter-based decks, already
> > weakened by the number of viable counterspells falling to three
> > (Counterspell, Absorb, Undermine - nothing else cuts it) and I
> > honestly don't think the archetype is viable any more.
>
> I'm not sure about that yet. Syncopate and Washout are excellent
> hosers against flashback and against Delta Force, and seem good enough
> to maindeck.

True, but they don't handle R/G very well.

> Question: seeing as how the Succession affect both players, what's the
> strategy for the mirror match?

Successions come out for something after game 1; in game 1,
you just don't drop a Succession.

Cutting Edge

Oct 29, 2001, 1:14:57 PM10/29/01
Watch New Orleans to find out just how good Shadowmage Infiltrator is..I'll
say no more.

Chad.
http://www.cutting-edge-cards.com

Trevor Barrie

Oct 29, 2001, 5:03:36 PM10/29/01
In article <f1b6d8d0.0110...@posting.google.com>,

Justin Sexton <jsextonpr...@lycos.com> wrote:
>I'm not sure about that yet. Syncopate and Washout are excellent
>hosers against flashback and against Delta Force, and seem good enough
>to maindeck.

What the heck is Delta Force? I've done a google group search for that
phrase and come up with nothing except this thread.

Justin Sexton

Oct 29, 2001, 6:37:19 PM10/29/01
"David Chapman" <evil...@madasafish.com> wrote in message news:<9rk57e$ua6bq$1...@ID-93395.news.dfncis.de>...
> "Justin Sexton" <jsextonpr...@lycos.com> wrote in message news:f1b6d8d0.0110...@posting.google.com...

> > I'm not sure about that yet. Syncopate and Washout are excellent
> > hosers against flashback and against Delta Force, and seem good enough
> > to maindeck.
>
> True, but they don't handle R/G very well.

How so? Washout can handle problem critters like the Mongeese cousins
and Spellbane Centaur, and Syncopate can take care of flashback
creatures. Also slows threshold versus Ring Sligh and Mystic Weenie.
It seems like they'd both be great for regaining control.

> > Question: seeing as how the Succession affect both players, what's the
> > strategy for the mirror match?
>
> Successions come out for something after game 1; in game 1,
> you just don't drop a Succession.

What would you bring in for the mirror?

Justin

David Chapman

Oct 29, 2001, 7:03:34 PM10/29/01
Moving this across to .strategy now; please remove the .misc
crosspost from any follow-ups.

"Justin Sexton" <jsextonpr...@lycos.com> wrote in message news:f1b6d8d0.01102...@posting.google.com...

> "David Chapman" <evil...@madasafish.com> wrote in message news:<9rk57e$ua6bq$1...@ID-93395.news.dfncis.de>...
> > "Justin Sexton" <jsextonpr...@lycos.com> wrote in message news:f1b6d8d0.0110...@posting.google.com...
>
> > > I'm not sure about that yet. Syncopate and Washout are excellent
> > > hosers against flashback and against Delta Force, and seem good enough
> > > to maindeck.
> >
> > True, but they don't handle R/G very well.
>
> How so? Washout can handle problem critters like the Mongeese cousins
> and Spellbane Centaur,

FTK and Skizzik, OTOH, shit on you from a height - and they're the
primary weapons of R/G.

> and Syncopate can take care of flashback
> creatures. Also slows threshold versus Ring Sligh and Mystic Weenie.

Mystic Weenie doesn't work. Ring Sligh blows ass. Combining
the two is moderately effective, though.

> It seems like they'd both be great for regaining control.

Only against decks where it should already have it.

> > > Question: seeing as how the Succession affect both players, what's the
> > > strategy for the mirror match?
> >
> > Successions come out for something after game 1; in game 1,
> > you just don't drop a Succession.
>
> What would you bring in for the mirror?

Leaf Dancer springs to mind immediately; other than Spellbane
Centaurs and Gaea's Heralds/Kavu Chameleons I haven't thought
much about it yet, though. I won't be giving Delta Force a sideboard
until after Alpha-testing, and even then it'll vary from tournament
to tournament.

Justin Sexton

Oct 30, 2001, 10:15:03 AM10/30/01
tba...@giantantfarm.dyn.dhs.org (Trevor Barrie) wrote in message news:<9rkjno$q7i$1...@giantantfarm.dyn.dhs.org>...

Dave Chapman wrote an article about it recently on Cutting Edge. It's
a Secret Force evolution. Let's see... ah, here it is.
http://www.cutting-edge-cards.com/Articles/ViewArticle.asp?iArticleID=212

Justin