Questions for LSJ

Ian Cyr

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
Two questions for LSJ:

1. How does the NRA ruling affect mask of 1K faces?
(Situation: Zebulon is Bleeding. Gilbert Duane plays Mask of 1K faces. Zebulon
then untaps. Can Zebulon now bleed again?)

2. If I wake twice between my turn and my next untap, what happens when I use
the Fragment of the Book of Nod? Is my max hand size 5 or 7?

Thanks in advance,
Ian

James Coupe

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
In article <N.080198....@clarityconnect.com>, Ian Cyr
<IN...@baka.com> writes

>Two questions for LSJ:
>
>1. How does the NRA ruling affect mask of 1K faces?
>(Situation: Zebulon is Bleeding. Gilbert Duane plays Mask of 1K faces. Zebulon
>then untaps. Can Zebulon now bleed again?)

I think so. NRA only works based on what action was performed by which
minion when it resolves.

>2. If I wake twice between my turn and my next untap, what happens when I use
>the Fragment of the Book of Nod? Is my max hand size 5 or 7?

Your maximum hand size is 7 minus the two cards you aren't allowed to
replace. So you discard down to 5. I think.

--
James Coupe (Prince of Mercia) Change nospam to obeah to reply

Vampire: Elder Kindred Network
madnessnetwork.hexagon.net

James Hamblin

Aug 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/1/98
James Coupe wrote:

> Your maximum hand size is 7 minus the two cards you aren't allowed to
> replace. So you discard down to 5. I think.

I think you're wrong here. You just can't _replace_ the cards. Your
hand size is still 7, but the "automatic replace-o" machine is turned
down a couple of notches for a while. If some other effect makes you
replace those cards earlier, then you still have a 7 hand size. Things
that reduce or increase your hand size say so specifically (Elder
Library and that Sabbat master), and this is different from not
replacing a card.

As always, LSJ has the last word.

James
--
James Hamblin
ham...@math.wisc.edu

"Check... and that's mate, I believe..."
"You just moved _my_ piece, you idiot!"

LSJ

Aug 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/3/98
In article <s7co2eAD...@obeah.demon.co.uk>,

James Coupe <ve...@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <N.080198....@clarityconnect.com>, Ian Cyr
> <IN...@baka.com> writes
> >Two questions for LSJ:
> >
> >1. How does the NRA ruling affect mask of 1K faces?
> >(Situation: Zebulon is Bleeding. Gilbert Duane plays Mask of 1K faces.
Zebulon
> >then untaps. Can Zebulon now bleed again?)
> >

> I think so. NRA only works based on what action was performed by which
> minion when it resolves.

Correct. Zebulon can now bleed again.

> >2. If I wake twice between my turn and my next untap, what happens when I use
> >the Fragment of the Book of Nod? Is my max hand size 5 or 7?
>

> Your maximum hand size is 7 minus the two cards you aren't allowed to
> replace. So you discard down to 5. I think.

Correct. The cards that you are currently not replacing count against
your hand size.

--
L. Scott Johnson (vte...@wizards.com) VTES Net.Rep for Wizards of the Coast.
Searchable database of official card text, errata, and rulings:

LSJ

Aug 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/3/98
In article <35C3A4BB...@math.wisc.edu>,
James Hamblin <ham...@math.wisc.edu> wrote:

> James Coupe wrote:
> >
> > Your maximum hand size is 7 minus the two cards you aren't allowed to
> > replace. So you discard down to 5. I think.
>
> I think you're wrong here. You just can't _replace_ the cards. Your
> hand size is still 7, but the "automatic replace-o" machine is turned
> down a couple of notches for a while. If some other effect makes you
> replace those cards earlier, then you still have a 7 hand size. Things
> that reduce or increase your hand size say so specifically (Elder
> Library and that Sabbat master), and this is different from not
> replacing a card.
>
> As always, LSJ has the last word.

The old RT ruled on this is RTR 961113 (Jon Wilkie's Weekly Rulings,
Volume I) regarding the burned PAs that were (then) not replaced until
the end of the turn. It was a good ruling then, and serves well now:

QUESTION: Do the burned PAs count against a players hand size for
purposes of FragNod, Barrens, etc.?

ANSWER: Yes.

In general, any cards that you currently are not replacing count against
your hand size until they are replaced.