Bunch of questions

Petri Wessman

Oct 3, 2008, 3:21:03 AM10/3/08
Ok, here's a collected bunch of questions that have either occured to
me while building decks or have come up in our weekly games lately.

----

1) Declaration of target when fetching something from ash heap: when
using a card like Gear Up (wording like "Move a card from your ash
heap to your hand" or similiar), do you have to declare which card
you're moving as part of the action announcement?

In other words, do you need to say "I'm using Gear Up with necromancy
to fetch War Ghoul", or can you just declare a "Gear Up with
necromancy" action?

Not sure about this one.

----

2) Declaration of target when fetching something from the library:

a) if the card says "Search your library for....(a card and do
something with it)", like Magic of the Smith, do you have to announce
the target as part of the action announce?

I'm pretty sure you don't, but would like confirmation.

b) if a card were to say "Move a card from your library to your
hand" (same wording as Gear Up), would that change things?

Not totally sure here. I suspect that "search for" allows you to not
find something (i.e. get zero cards), while "move a card" would
require you to get a card. Unsure about the need to announce specific
card in "move a card" case.

----

3) Reanimated Corpse and Charisma (or other effects which reduce blood
cost of aly recruit): if a vampire with Charisma (or some such)
recruits a Reanimated Corpse, wanting to get three extra pathos
counters on it, would the blood cost be 3 (the normal one) or 2
(reduced by one)?

In other words, do cost-reduction cards also work with "blood cost X"
allies?

Charisma: Unique master. Put this card on a ready vampire. This
vampire's recruit ally actions cost 1 less blood or pool (but never
less than 0 blood or pool).

Reanimated Corpse [X Blood]: Zombie with 2 life. 2 strength, 2 bleed.
[thn] Put X pathos counters on this corpse when it enters play. During
your untap phase, burn 1 pathos counter. Remove the corpse from the
game if it has no pathos counters. The corpse can play combat cards
that require basic Fortitude [for] as a vampire.
[THN] As above, but put 2 additional pathos counters on the corpse.

----

4) Allies that can play Fortitude cards as vampire (like Reanimated
Corpse) and Soak: can those allies use soak (Soak has text "A vampire
may play only one Soak each round")? Could those allies use Soak
multiple times per round?

I think the answer is "yes" to first (Soak doesn't directly say it's
only usable by allies) and "yes" to second too (Soak only restricts
use by vampires, not allies), but would like confirmation.

Soak: [Combat] Combat [Fortitude]
A vampire may play only one Soak each round.
[for] Prevent 2 non-aggravated damage.
[FOR] Prevent 4 non-aggravated damage.

//Petri

LSJ

Oct 3, 2008, 6:26:19 AM10/3/08
Petri Wessman wrote:
> Ok, here's a collected bunch of questions that have either occured to
> me while building decks or have come up in our weekly games lately.
>
> ----
>
> 1) Declaration of target when fetching something from ash heap: when
> using a card like Gear Up (wording like "Move a card from your ash
> heap to your hand" or similiar), do you have to declare which card
> you're moving as part of the action announcement?

Yes.

> In other words, do you need to say "I'm using Gear Up with necromancy
> to fetch War Ghoul", or can you just declare a "Gear Up with
> necromancy" action?
>
> Not sure about this one.

The former.

> ----
>
> 2) Declaration of target when fetching something from the library:
>
> a) if the card says "Search your library for....(a card and do
> something with it)", like Magic of the Smith, do you have to announce
> the target as part of the action announce?
>
> I'm pretty sure you don't, but would like confirmation.

Confirmed.

> b) if a card were to say "Move a card from your library to your
> hand" (same wording as Gear Up), would that change things?
>
> Not totally sure here. I suspect that "search for" allows you to not
> find something (i.e. get zero cards), while "move a card" would
> require you to get a card. Unsure about the need to announce specific
> card in "move a card" case.

Move would not allow you to look at the faces of the cards in your library, so
it would amount to the same thing as "draw a card".

> ----
>
> 3) Reanimated Corpse and Charisma (or other effects which reduce blood
> cost of aly recruit): if a vampire with Charisma (or some such)
> recruits a Reanimated Corpse, wanting to get three extra pathos
> counters on it, would the blood cost be 3 (the normal one) or 2
> (reduced by one)?
>
> In other words, do cost-reduction cards also work with "blood cost X"
> allies?

Yes. If the cost is X and you reduce that cost by 1, you pay X-1, but X is still X.

> Charisma: Unique master. Put this card on a ready vampire. This
> vampire's recruit ally actions cost 1 less blood or pool (but never
> less than 0 blood or pool).
>
> Reanimated Corpse [X Blood]: Zombie with 2 life. 2 strength, 2 bleed.
> [thn] Put X pathos counters on this corpse when it enters play. During
> your untap phase, burn 1 pathos counter. Remove the corpse from the
> game if it has no pathos counters. The corpse can play combat cards
> that require basic Fortitude [for] as a vampire.
> [THN] As above, but put 2 additional pathos counters on the corpse.
>
> ----
>
> 4) Allies that can play Fortitude cards as vampire (like Reanimated
> Corpse) and Soak: can those allies use soak (Soak has text "A vampire
> may play only one Soak each round")?

Yes, he plays it as a vampire.

> Could those allies use Soak
> multiple times per round?

No. Cards he plays as a vampire affect him as a vampire, restrictions and all.

Petri Wessman

Oct 3, 2008, 6:48:10 AM10/3/08
On Oct 3, 1:26 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> No. Cards he plays as a vampire affect him as a vampire, restrictions and all.

Thanks for the answers!

Concerning the snippet above, and just to make sure I understand
things: if the game had a card which was identical in text with Taste
of Vitae but which required Fortitude, a Reanimated Corpse could play
that card and gain life from blood lost by an opposing vampire (since
RC is considered to be a vampire while it plays Foritude cards)?

Similarly, if an ally had the general ability to "play combat cards as
a vampire" or "play disciplineless combat cards as a vampire", they
could use the normal Taste of Vitae when in combat with an opposing
vampire?

//Petri

LSJ

Oct 3, 2008, 8:05:40 AM10/3/08
Petri Wessman wrote:
> On Oct 3, 1:26 pm, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
>> No. Cards he plays as a vampire affect him as a vampire, restrictions and all.
>
> Thanks for the answers!
>
> Concerning the snippet above, and just to make sure I understand
> things: if the game had a card which was identical in text with Taste
> of Vitae but which required Fortitude, a Reanimated Corpse could play
> that card and gain life from blood lost by an opposing vampire (since
> RC is considered to be a vampire while it plays Foritude cards)?

Carefule with the use of "while" -- it's not quite the best way to think about
it (and often leads to confusion).

RC would be considered a vampire by the effect generated by the play of the
Foritude cards RC plays as a vampire.

> Similarly, if an ally had the general ability to "play combat cards as
> a vampire" or "play disciplineless combat cards as a vampire", they
> could use the normal Taste of Vitae when in combat with an opposing
> vampire?

Yes.

Jozxyqk

Oct 3, 2008, 9:08:11 AM10/3/08
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> > Similarly, if an ally had the general ability to "play combat cards as
> > a vampire" or "play disciplineless combat cards as a vampire", they
> > could use the normal Taste of Vitae when in combat with an opposing
> > vampire?

> Yes.

No need for a hypothetical here.
The current wording of Shadow Court Satyr allows him to use Taste of Vitae
just as you describe (except that the way he plays it is only "as if"
from your hand).

Petri Wessman

Oct 3, 2008, 9:19:10 AM10/3/08
On Oct 3, 4:08 pm, Jozxyqk <jfeue...@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote:
> No need for a hypothetical here.
> The current wording of Shadow Court Satyr allows him to use Taste of Vitae
> just as you describe (except that the way he plays it is only "as if"
> from your hand).

Ah, true. Forgot that SCS wasn't hardwired to always use Earth Meld :D

While Earth Meld is clearly the best general choice there, Taste would
be quite amusing, comboed with Target Vitals and such ;)

//Petri