Optional Presses and Maneuvers

Scott Marcellus

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

Can Optional Presses and maneuvers be used on a future combat?
For example, can someone play the superior version of flash to
maneuver, their opponent use a press to continue combat, and hold onto
the optional press for the next combat or must the optional press be
used in that round of combat? I imagine the answer to the above
question would hold for optional maneuvers.

^
^ | ^
\|/ ha...@shadow.net
<---x---> Scott Marcellus
/|\ http://www.shadow.net/~havok
V | V

REF

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

ha...@shadow.net (Scott Marcellus) wrote:

They must be for that combat and that round unless they specify combat
such as from equipment or retainers.
You can't play a flash and use either the maneuver or the press for a
later round.
Maneuver for this round and press to continue/end on this round.
Rory

Steve Bauer x1014

May 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/16/96

Hmm, I never thought of that. Is it in the official rules(and is it just VTES,
or VTES and JYHAD) It does seem to make since for flash that you can't save the
press or manuver, and any other card that gives you a press or a manuver this
round. What about cards that don't take place in a round like Bums rush, Spirits touch,
or Rat's Warning can they be used in an round of combat or only the first.

OK I checked the text, Bum's rush says usable during combat, the other two do not.
So as an official rule, do all actions that give you manuvers or presses before
combat last the entire combat unless otherwise noted on the card, and do all
cards that give you presses or manuevers as a byproduct only last for that round
even though you may not play the card until after it is to late to use the manuever
(like striking with a Aid from bats)? Is this in the rules some where? Official
Errata, you are just ststing what makes since to you?

-- Steve

REF

May 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/17/96

>-- Steve

Page 46 of the Vtes rules.
"If a combat card played by a minion has a maneuver as part of the
cards effect, then the maneuver can only be performed during the round
of combat in which the card is played. If a combat card reads
"optional maneuver" as part of its effect, then the minion may
decline to perform the maneuver.

Note that this is for combat cards and action and reactions like the
ones you mentioned are specifically not included.
The press section does not mention it.

The Jhyad rules are very similar but I don't have any of those
booklets available right now.
Rory

Thomas R Wylie

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

If a combat card provides an optional press or maneuver, that press
or maneuver must be used during the current round, or not at all.

If a card played outside of combat gives an optional press or maneuver during
a given combat (e.g., Bum's Rush, Rats' Warning), you may use the press or
maneuver during any round of the combat, unless of course the effect indicates
otherwise.

Tom Wylie rec.games.trading-cards.* Network Representative for
aa...@cats.ucsc.edu Wizards of the Coast, Inc.