[LSJ] Additional Strikes

Sorrow

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97

What are the specific limitations on "Additional Strikes"?
Only 1 kind of additional strike per round? Or only 1
additional strike?
The reason I'm asking is the card, "Backstab".
At superior, it grants an Additional Strike. Can you play
that after blocking, at superior, then play "Blur" after strike
resolution? Or would the minion be limited to just the
additional strike granted by the "Backstab".

I guess this question would also apply to the Brujah-Anti
that has a built in Add. Strike. Can he use a "Blur" after
using his special?

Thnx,
Sorrow
--
I don't want to be alone | I hurt, therefore I am
anymore |--------------------------------

James Coupe

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

In article <65f8mk$18m$1...@news2.cais.com>, Sorrow <cbo...@apdi.net>
writes

>What are the specific limitations on "Additional Strikes"?
>Only 1 kind of additional strike per round? Or only 1
>additional strike?

Only 1 source of additional strikes - so that means a card in play
(Sword of Judgement, Vial of Garou Blood) or a card from your hand (Blur
etc.)

>The reason I'm asking is the card, "Backstab".
>At superior, it grants an Additional Strike. Can you play
>that after blocking, at superior, then play "Blur" after strike
>resolution?

No. The Backstab already counts as your one source of additional
strikes, so you can't play another until next round.

> Or would the minion be limited to just the
>additional strike granted by the "Backstab".

Correct - he only gets that additional strike.

>I guess this question would also apply to the Brujah-Anti
>that has a built in Add. Strike. Can he use a "Blur" after
>using his special?

Yes, because he specifically says that his additional strike does not
count as an additional strike for purposes of getting additional strikes
other ways. So he could use his own additional strike, play Quickness
(another non-counting additional strike but only 1/round) and then
lightning reflexes for vast quantities of damage).

--

James Coupe (remove items of clothing to reply)

I shall personally come around to your houses and drag you out by the scruff of
the neck. I shall belt you around the mouth and mouth you around the belt. Do
you understand what I'm saying?

LSJ

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97
to vte...@oracle.wizards.com

"Sorrow" <cbo...@apdi.net> wrote:
> What are the specific limitations on "Additional Strikes"?

"Only one additional-strike-gaining effect can be played/used
per minion per round of combat".

> Only 1 kind of additional strike per round? Or only 1
> additional strike?

There is no limit on the number of strikes per se, only on the
number of effects that can be used to gain additional strikes.

> The reason I'm asking is the card, "Backstab".
> At superior, it grants an Additional Strike. Can you play
> that after blocking, at superior, then play "Blur" after strike

> resolution? Or would the minion be limited to just the

> additional strike granted by the "Backstab".

Just the additional strike granted by Backstab. Backstab is the
additional-strike-gaining effect used, so the minion cannot use
another in that round.

> I guess this question would also apply to the Brujah-Anti
> that has a built in Add. Strike. Can he use a "Blur" after
> using his special?

[Jacko]
Yes, since his card text overrides the "only one additional-strike-=
gaining effect per minion per round" rule explicitly (well, the card
text isn't complete, but you can tell what it means).

--
L. Scott Johnson (vte...@wizards.com)
Official VtES Net.Rep for Wizards of the Coast.

Alexander Racher

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

--------------43B4AF90DA630DC730F345EE

Sorrow wrote:

> What are the specific limitations on "Additional Strikes"?

> Only 1 kind of additional strike per round? Or only 1
> additional strike?

> The reason I'm asking is the card, "Backstab".
> At superior, it grants an Additional Strike. Can you play
> that after blocking, at superior, then play "Blur" after strike
> resolution? Or would the minion be limited to just the
> additional strike granted by the "Backstab".
>

> I guess this question would also apply to the Brujah-Anti
> that has a built in Add. Strike. Can he use a "Blur" after
> using his special?
>

> Thnx,
> Sorrow
> --
> I don't want to be alone | I hurt, therefore I am
> anymore |--------------------------------
> I don't want to be anyone | "What are you looking at...?
> anymore | you never seen anyone try to
> I don't need a reason to kill myself | commit suicide before?" - Anon

This question came really up when Sabbat was released and Jacko made add.
strike combat decks most effective.
The answer is that you can only play one card to gain additional strikes,
but you can use Jackos abillity as well.
E.g. in a combat round if you play superior Blur with Jacko, you gain 3
additional strikes (damn, they 愉e fast :)). So I think you can愒 play
Backstab and Blur.

Xandl

:-o

--------------43B4AF90DA630DC730F345EE

<HTML>
&nbsp;

<P>Sorrow wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>What are the specific limitations on "Additional
Strikes"?
<BR>Only 1 kind of additional strike per round?&nbsp; Or only 1
<BR>additional strike?
<BR>The reason I'm asking is the card, "Backstab".
<BR>At superior, it grants an Additional Strike.&nbsp; Can you play
<BR>that after blocking, at superior, then play "Blur" after strike
<BR>resolution?&nbsp; Or would the minion be limited to just the
<BR>additional strike granted by the "Backstab".

<P>I guess this question would also apply to the Brujah-Anti
<BR>that has a built in Add. Strike.&nbsp; Can he use a "Blur" after
<BR>using his special?

<P>Thnx,
<BR>Sorrow
<BR>--
<BR>&nbsp;I don't want to be alone&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
|&nbsp; I hurt, therefore I am
<BR>&nbsp;anymore&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
|--------------------------------
<BR>&nbsp;I don't want to be anyone&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

| "What are you looking at...?

<BR>&nbsp;anymore&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
|&nbsp; you never seen anyone try to
<BR>&nbsp;I don't need a reason to kill myself&nbsp; |&nbsp; commit suicide
before?" - Anon
<BR>------------------------------------------------------------------------</BLOCKQUOTE>
This question came really up when Sabbat was released and <B>Jacko </B>made
add. strike combat decks most effective.
<BR>The answer is that you can only play <B><U>one card</U></B> to gain
additional strikes, but you can use Jackos abillity as well.
<BR>E.g. in a combat round if you play superior Blur with Jacko, you gain
3 additional strikes (damn, they &acute;re fast :)). So I think you can&acute;t
play Backstab and Blur.

<P>Xandl

<P>:-o
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------43B4AF90DA630DC730F345EE--

Philippe DUCHON

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

a950...@unet.univie.ac.at writes:

>This question came really up when Sabbat was released and Jacko made add.
>strike combat decks most effective.
>The answer is that you can only play one card to gain additional strikes,
>but you can use Jackos abillity as well.
>E.g. in a combat round if you play superior Blur with Jacko, you gain 3
>additional strikes (damn, they 愉e fast :)). So I think you can愒 play
>Backstab and Blur.

Unless I'm mistaken here, it's not a matter of "playing" a card, but of "using
an effect" that will generate additional strikes. This means the Sword of
Judgment _will_ count as your one allowed source of additional strikes.

BTW, can you use one part of the Sword (ie, the melee weapon strike OR the
additional strike) without the other ? 'Wouldn't matter during an Immortal
Grapple, sure, but can you maneuver to long range, throw a gate, and use the
Sword's additional strike to toss a sewer lid as well ? (I'm not sure of the
Sword's wording, plus I'm not sure how it would work anyway...)

Philippe
--

Philippe Duchon (duc...@labri.u-bordeaux.fr)

nob...@student.anu.edu.au

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

LSJ wrote:

> "Sorrow" <cbo...@apdi.net> wrote:
> > I guess this question would also apply to the Brujah-Anti
> > that has a built in Add. Strike. Can he use a "Blur" after
> > using his special?
>
> [Jacko]
> Yes, since his card text overrides the "only one additional-strike-=
> gaining effect per minion per round" rule explicitly (well, the card
> text isn't complete, but you can tell what it means).

can he do it the other way around? use his special first, and then play
a blur?

something you (lsj) wrote to stan has me confused (and i'm sorry i can't
quote it, and i know he worded his question badly.)

thanks,

salem....

LSJ

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

nob...@student.anu.edu.au wrote:

> LSJ wrote:
> > "Sorrow" <cbo...@apdi.net> wrote:
> > > I guess this question would also apply to the Brujah-Anti
> > > that has a built in Add. Strike. Can he use a "Blur" after
> > > using his special?
> >
> > [Jacko]
> > Yes, since his card text overrides the "only one additional-strike-=
> > gaining effect per minion per round" rule explicitly (well, the card
> > text isn't complete, but you can tell what it means).
>
> can he do it the other way around? use his special first, and then play
> a blur?

That's not the other way around. That's the question answered.

The other way around (play Blur before using his special ability) is
questionable. It is my opinion that you should not be able to play
additional-strike-gaining effects until after all strike resolutions
are completed for all strikes currently available. But the rules
don't address the issue. The question is (and has been) before the
RT now. (*)

SirTemple

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

>BTW, can you use one part of the Sword (ie, the melee weapon strike OR the
>additional strike) without the other ? 'Wouldn't matter during an Immortal
>Grapple, sure, but can you maneuver to long range, throw a gate, and use the
>Sword's additional strike to toss a sewer lid as well ? (I'm not sure of the
>Sword's wording, plus I'm not sure how it would work anyway...)

No It says in the rules that you can not use a weapon for only a part of it's
effect. The example they give is using a gun for the manuver, than trying to
strike with something else.

LSJ

Dec 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/15/97

The rules address using a weapon to maneuver:

21. Advanced Combat Sequence
If your minion has just used a maneuver that was
bestowed by a weapon the minion possesses, then the
minion must use that weapon to strike her opponent.

You can use other effects of a weapon without striking with the weapon
(or being committed to striking with, or having struck with, whatever).

For instance, with Talbot's Chainsaw, you can attack a minion and doing
so would not require you to strike with the Chainsaw. Additionally, you
could prevent a damage and/or press without having used the Chainsaw as
your strike.