Question on Thanks for the Donation

Halcyan 2

Jan 16, 2001, 4:01:22 PM1/16/01
Quick question on Thanks for the Donation. I know you can't use it if you're
only contesting with yourself (since you have to contest with "another
Methusaleh"). But just to doublecheck, if the card has already been played and
then the situation comes up where you're only contesting with yourself, then
your prey still pays the cost, right? (Since the condition is necessary for the
placement of Thanks, not the effect).

Take the following for example:

Your predator controls a The Coven. During your master phase, you play two of
The Covens so there's self-contestation but you're also contesting with your
predator. You then have a bunch of dominate weenies play Thanks on your two
Covens. During his turn, your predator yields so now you're just contesting
with yourself. All of those Thanks for the Donations are still in effect,
right?

Thanks! (no pun intended)

Halcyan 2

tetragrammaton

Jan 16, 2001, 6:14:35 PM1/16/01

"Halcyan 2" <halc...@aol.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

No, since you no longer contest that card with "another metuselah".
Just my thought
Best
Aemilianus, Prince of Rome

The Lasombra

Jan 16, 2001, 7:30:31 PM1/16/01
In article <20010116160122...@ng-cs1.aol.com>,

halc...@aol.com (Halcyan 2) wrote:
> Quick question on Thanks for the Donation. I know you can't use it
> if you're only contesting with yourself (since you have to contest
> with "another Methusaleh"). But just to doublecheck, if the card
> has already been played and then the situation comes up where you're
> only contesting with yourself, then your prey still pays the cost,
> right? (Since the condition is necessary for the
> placement of Thanks, not the effect).

Correct.
The card does not constantly check to see if you are contesting with
another Methuselah once it is in play, it only checks if that copy of
the target card is being contested.

> Take the following for example:
>
> Your predator controls a The Coven. During your master phase, you
> play two of The Covens so there's self-contestation but you're also
> contesting with your predator. You then have a bunch of dominate
> weenies play Thanks on your two Covens. During his turn, your
> predator yields so now you're just contesting with yourself. All of
> those Thanks for the Donations are still in effect, right?

Right.
But if all you have are dom weenies, your prey will have to be
an idiot to have let them stay in play as they have a built in
burn clause.

Thanks for the Donation [Sabbat, SW]
Cardtype: Action
Discipline: Dominate
+1 stealth action. Put this card into play and choose a card you are
contesting with another Methuselah. Your cost to avoid yielding the
contested card is now paid by your prey. (You still decide whether you
will yield.) Any minion may burn this card as a (D) action.

Carpe Noctem.

Lasombra

http://lasombra.tripod.com
http://legbiter.tripod.com