EK doubts

Powerlord

Jun 9, 2009, 1:12:43 PM6/9/09
Hello, a few questions i came up with reading cards and playing with
some friends:

1- After a Laibon minion gets "Hiding in the Open" can he be target of
a Master: Discipline?
The question here is, our interpretation of the card. I don't
understand the part where is says "Cards which require a non-Laibon
title cannot be played on this Laibon nor while this Laibon is
acting.", who can not play those cards on this laibon? It's controler?
Other players? Both?

Name: Hiding in the Open
Cardtype: Political Action
Requires a Laibon.
If this referendum succeeds, put this card on the acting Laibon. This
Laibon gets +1 bleed. Cards which require a non-Laibon title cannot be
played on this Laibon nor while this Laibon is acting. A minion may
have only one Hiding in the Open.

2- Tunner Runner text states that he can play cards requiring
animalism, i think he can only play cards requiring BASIC animalism
(he even has the inferior animalism symbol), but several players
desagree stating that it does not say basic (as other cards), so he
can play efects that require superior animalism. Which one is right?

Name: Tunnel Runner
Cardtype: Ally
Clan: Akunanse
Cost: 4 pool
Werewolf with 3 life. 1 strength, 1 bleed.
The Runner may play cards that require Animalism [ani] as a vampire
and may burn 1 life to get +1 stealth. If he successfully bleeds, you
may look at the target Methuselah's hand. A vampire stealing life from
the Runner takes 1 damage for each point stolen. If the Runner has 2
or fewer life during your untap phase, he gains 1 life.

3- Draft efects of "419 Operation" and "Despiral" say that you can put
this card on a Laibon and it counts as an Aye and an Orun. "419
Operation" action card has no cost, "Despiral" action card has a cost
of one blood. If you choose to take the action as draft to place it on
the vampire, does the cost stays the same? or as draft, neither has a
cost? I think that "Despiral" has a cost and "419 Operation" doesn't.

4- I also presume that when using the ability of "Nkishi", when
placing them on a vampire, no cost is applyed, so both are placed "for
free", right?

Thanks
Ricardo Marta
Prince of Lisboa
Portugal

LSJ

Jun 9, 2009, 1:33:42 PM6/9/09
Powerlord wrote:
> Hello, a few questions i came up with reading cards and playing with
> some friends:
>
> 1- After a Laibon minion gets "Hiding in the Open" can he be target of
> a Master: Discipline?
> The question here is, our interpretation of the card. I don't
> understand the part where is says "Cards which require a non-Laibon
> title cannot be played on this Laibon nor while this Laibon is
> acting.", who can not play those cards on this laibon? It's controler?
> Other players? Both?

Master: Discipline does not require a non-Laibon title (it doesn't require any
title), so it isn't restricted at all by Hiding in the Open.

But, to answer the other question, the restriction is on everyone: no player may
play a card that requires a non-Laibon title on that Laibon.

> Name: Hiding in the Open
> Cardtype: Political Action
> Requires a Laibon.
> If this referendum succeeds, put this card on the acting Laibon. This
> Laibon gets +1 bleed. Cards which require a non-Laibon title cannot be
> played on this Laibon nor while this Laibon is acting. A minion may
> have only one Hiding in the Open.
>

> 2- Tunner Runner text states that he can play cards requiring
> animalism, i think he can only play cards requiring BASIC animalism
> (he even has the inferior animalism symbol), but several players
> desagree stating that it does not say basic (as other cards), so he
> can play efects that require superior animalism. Which one is right?

You are.

> Name: Tunnel Runner
> Cardtype: Ally
> Clan: Akunanse
> Cost: 4 pool
> Werewolf with 3 life. 1 strength, 1 bleed.
> The Runner may play cards that require Animalism [ani] as a vampire
> and may burn 1 life to get +1 stealth. If he successfully bleeds, you
> may look at the target Methuselah's hand. A vampire stealing life from
> the Runner takes 1 damage for each point stolen. If the Runner has 2
> or fewer life during your untap phase, he gains 1 life.
>

> 3- Draft efects of "419 Operation" and "Despiral" say that you can put
> this card on a Laibon and it counts as an Aye and an Orun. "419
> Operation" action card has no cost, "Despiral" action card has a cost
> of one blood. If you choose to take the action as draft to place it on
> the vampire, does the cost stays the same? or as draft, neither has a
> cost? I think that "Despiral" has a cost and "419 Operation" doesn't.

Correct. Draft effects use the printed costs.

> 4- I also presume that when using the ability of "Nkishi", when
> placing them on a vampire, no cost is applyed, so both are placed "for
> free", right?

Yes. It's just moved to that Laibon. No cost is paid.

Powerlord

Jun 9, 2009, 1:44:57 PM6/9/09
On 9 Jun, 18:33, LSJ <vtes...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> Powerlord wrote:
> > Hello, a few questions i came up with reading cards and playing with
> > some friends:
>
> > 1- After a Laibon minion gets "Hiding in the Open" can he be target of
> > a Master: Discipline?
> > The question here is, our interpretation of the card. I don't
> > understand the part where is says "Cards which require a non-Laibon
> > title cannot be played on this Laibon nor while this Laibon is
> > acting.", who can not play those cards on this laibon? It's controler?
> > Other players? Both?
>
> Master: Discipline does not require a non-Laibon title (it doesn't require any
> title), so it isn't restricted at all by Hiding in the Open.
>
> But, to answer the other question, the restriction is on everyone: no player may
> play a card that requires a non-Laibon title on that Laibon.

If i understood correctly, when the laibon with this card is acting,
the opposing vampire controller, cannot play a 2nd Tradition, because
it requires a Camarilla Prince or Justicar, he also can not play Blood
Hunt on this laibon. How about a card that requires a title but not
specificly a laibon title, like "Trumped-Up Charges"??

Name: Trumped-Up Charges
Cardtype: Political Action
Requires a titled non-Red List vampire.
Choose a ready non-Red List minion. If this referendum succeeds, put
this card on that minion. This minion is now Red List. In this
referendum, the chosen minion's controller gets 2 additional votes for
every Red List minion in play. Any titled vampire may call a
referendum to burn this card as a +1 stealth political action. Burn
this card if the minion is no longer Red List.

Can this card "be played by (assuming he is a Kholo or Magaji)"/"be
placed on" a laibon with "Hiding in the Open"? (assuming he is not a
red list)

LSJ

Jun 9, 2009, 1:57:51 PM6/9/09
Powerlord wrote:
> If i understood correctly, when the laibon with this card is acting,
> the opposing vampire controller, cannot play a 2nd Tradition, because
> it requires a Camarilla Prince or Justicar, he also can not play Blood
> Hunt on this laibon.

Correct.

> How about a card that requires a title but not
> specificly a laibon title, like "Trumped-Up Charges"??

If it's being played by a vampire with a non-Laibon title, then it cannot be
played on the Hiding in the Open Laibon. If it's played using a Laibon title,
then it can be.

Similarly, True Brujah cannot play Diversion for an additional strike (since
that requires Celerity), but could play it to prevent 2 damage.

When referring to the play of a card, requirements refer to the requirements
being used.

librarian

Jun 9, 2009, 2:33:09 PM6/9/09
LSJ wrote:
> Powerlord wrote:
>> Hello, a few questions i came up with reading cards and playing with
>> some friends:
>>
>> 1- After a Laibon minion gets "Hiding in the Open" can he be target of
>> a Master: Discipline?
>> The question here is, our interpretation of the card. I don't
>> understand the part where is says "Cards which require a non-Laibon
>> title cannot be played on this Laibon nor while this Laibon is
>> acting.", who can not play those cards on this laibon? It's controler?
>> Other players? Both?
>
> Master: Discipline does not require a non-Laibon title (it doesn't
> require any title), so it isn't restricted at all by Hiding in the Open.
>
> But, to answer the other question, the restriction is on everyone: no
> player may play a card that requires a non-Laibon title on that Laibon.
>
>> Name: Hiding in the Open
>> Cardtype: Political Action
>> Requires a Laibon.
>> If this referendum succeeds, put this card on the acting Laibon. This
>> Laibon gets +1 bleed. Cards which require a non-Laibon title cannot be
>> played on this Laibon nor while this Laibon is acting. A minion may
>> have only one Hiding in the Open.

Is playing Temptation of Greater Power that targets this minion allowed?
I think yes, because it isn't played "on the minion".

best -

chris

LSJ

Jun 9, 2009, 2:41:53 PM6/9/09
librarian wrote:
> Is playing Temptation of Greater Power that targets this minion allowed?
> I think yes, because it isn't played "on the minion".

No, just as Drawing out the Beast can be canceled by Abombwe cards and cannot be
played on Aleister Crowley.

Juggernaut1981

Jun 9, 2009, 8:05:52 PM6/9/09

So is that a general ruling that when you meet a requirement, such as
"Is Titled" which could be met by multiple different card texts
(bishop, prince, 1 vote, magaji, etc) then that card counts as if the
requirement was identical to the card text being used to activate it?

e.g. Trumped-Up Charges played by a Prince counts as if it required a
Prince for the purposes of other cards. National Guard Support played
by a Baron counts as if it required Baron for the purposes of other
cards?

What happens in the case where a Laibon Vampire has a "generic" title
such as "2 Votes (titled)"? Would a Laibon with "2 Votes (titled)"
have that title count as a Laibon Title? And by correlation: When a
vampire of Sect X has a title, that title counts as a Sect X title
(e.g. Sabbat Vampire with "2 votes (titled)" counts as a Titled Sabbat
Vampire).

LSJ

Jun 9, 2009, 8:11:10 PM6/9/09
Juggernaut1981 wrote:
> What happens in the case where a Laibon Vampire has a "generic" title
> such as "2 Votes (titled)"? Would a Laibon with "2 Votes (titled)"
> have that title count as a Laibon Title? And by correlation: When a
> vampire of Sect X has a title, that title counts as a Sect X title
> (e.g. Sabbat Vampire with "2 votes (titled)" counts as a Titled Sabbat
> Vampire).

"I has 2 votes" is not a Laibon title.

Jozxyqk

Jun 9, 2009, 9:58:57 PM6/9/09
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> > How about a card that requires a title but not
> > specificly a laibon title, like "Trumped-Up Charges"??

> If it's being played by a vampire with a non-Laibon title, then it cannot be
> played on the Hiding in the Open Laibon. If it's played using a Laibon title,
> then it can be.

Hmm..
Related:
It's been stated that Vidal Jarbeaux's ability treats a title as a "non-infernal
vampire trait".
Assuming he is not naturally titled, can he call Trumped Up Charges multiple
times, "posing as" several different types of titles?
(playing it once as a Prince, once as a Magaji, once as "has 2 votes", once as
"has 1 vote", etc...)

LSJ

Jun 9, 2009, 11:15:55 PM6/9/09
Jozxyqk wrote:
> It's been stated that Vidal Jarbeaux's ability treats a title as a "non-infernal
> vampire trait".
> Assuming he is not naturally titled, can he call Trumped Up Charges multiple
> times, "posing as" several different types of titles?
> (playing it once as a Prince, once as a Magaji, once as "has 2 votes", once as
> "has 1 vote", etc...)

Yes, it has been so stated.
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/f906f45514551b92

Juggernaut1981

Jun 10, 2009, 2:15:27 AM6/10/09
> Yes, it has been so stated.http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad/msg/f906...

Do "1 vote (titled)", "2 votes (titled)", etc to "X votes (titled)"
all count separately as different types of titles? Could Vidal gain
"1 votes" then next turn "2 votes" and so on, thereby never running
out of titles to use since he treats himself as having "X votes" where
X is a number I haven't chosen before?

Salem

Jun 10, 2009, 6:11:42 AM6/10/09

Heh. It sounds more like a lolcat caption. ;)

--
salem
(replace 'hotmail' with 'gmail' to email)

LSJ

Jun 10, 2009, 6:23:03 AM6/10/09

Nah. That's too much work. He can do "Unnamed independent title" once.

Blooded Sand

Jun 10, 2009, 7:06:08 AM6/10/09

nice save... ;)