Rules Team Rulings: 11/10/95

22 views
Skip to first unread message

Thomas R Wylie

unread,
Nov 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/12/95
to

GENERAL RULINGS

A couple of these rulings mention Non-Camarilla vampires, which will not
appear until the release of Dark Sovereigns. All vampires of the clans
from the basic game, and Caitiff, are considered Camarilla vampires.

1) Damage prevention cards may only be played during a Check Damage step
of combat (sometimes referred to as "strike resolution"). However,
permanents that prevent damage and lasting effects (such as Flesh of
Marble) can be applied outside of this step. While you can't play Skin of
Rock to prevent the damage from Pulled Fangs, the damage could be prevented
if you had superior Flesh of Marble in effect, or an unused Flak Jacket.

2) Action modifiers generally modify the action, so they carry over
through the use of Mask of a Thousand Faces. This is true even of
modifiers that apply to the "acting minion," since Mask of a Thousand
Faces changes the current definition of that term. Inherent modifiers,
such as an inherent +1 stealth or the +1 bleed from a Laptop, do not carry
over through the Mask. Effects like Backways apply to the current acting
minion, not the "generic" acting minion, so they do not carry over.

REVERSALS

1) Mask of a Thousand Faces cannot be used to take over an action that
could only be performed by the acting minion. For example, it cannot take
over Thadius Zho's special ability or Angus' special ability. It can still
be used to take over an action that can be performed in general, but the
Masking minion couldn't have performed normally (e.g., taking over a
Thaumaturgy action when you don't have Thaumaturgy).

ERRATA TO CARDS AND RULES

1) Brujah Frenzy should read "choose a ready untapped minion". If the only
untapped minions available are vampires in torpor, Brujah Frenzy cannot be
played.

2) Non-Camarilla vampires cannot be princes, although they can become
primogen members. If a Non-Camarilla vampire begins with votes and later
gains a title, she loses the votes she started with, just as if the
vampire had lost a title.

3) Non-Camarilla vampires cannot call Praxis Seizures. They cannot call
Justicar Retribution or Command of the Harpies, or call a vote to burn
Elysium: the Arboretum. In addition, Non-Camarilla vampires cannot be
chosen as an Archon or Camarilla Exemplary.

4) There are three more changes to the V:TES rulebook. Note that only
the second change to the rulebook is a change to the rules; the others are
basically clarifications.

Section 6.3.2, Rules of Thumb for Blocking
Rule of Thumb #1 implies that if an action is blocked, the costs for
any action modifiers used during the action are not paid. This is not
correct; only the cost of the action card is waived, as mentioned earlier
in the section.

Section 7, Tallying the Votes
A Methuselah taking a political action gains a free vote only if a
political action card was used. For example, taking a political action to
attempt to burn the Anarch Revolt would not give you a free vote.

Section 19, Leave Torpor
Any minion may block a "leave torpor" action, including allies, but
only vampires may commit diablerie as a result.


CARD RULINGS

1) Major Boon may only be played on a successful bleed. It allows any
player to play cards that modify the bleed (as previously stated in
errata), but it does not allow general action modifiers or reactions to be
used. Note that "modifying" a bleed means raising or lowering the amount
of pool that will be burned, so Bonding and Telepathic Counter are allowed
by Major Boon, but Deflection is not.

2) Scorn of Adonis causes each Methuselah voting against the acting
vampire to burn 1 pool, even if that player voted before Scorn of Adonis
was played. However, each Scorn of Adonis can only cause a given player to
burn 1 pool.

3) Brujah Frenzy can only be played if you can choose a ready untapped
minion as the victim of the frenzy. However, it may be played whether or
not it is possible for the Brujah to initiate combat with the second
minion. (This may or may not be a reversal depending on how an entry in
the June 22nd rulings is interpreted). For example, if a Brujah is
attempting to leave torpor, it is possible to "block" that action with
Brujah Frenzy, even though the Brujah cannot enter combat.

4) Voter Captivation is played after the results of the vote are
assessed. If you are ousted as a result of the vote, you will not have
time to play Voter Captivation.


Tom Wylie rec.games.trading-cards.* Network Representative for
aa...@cats.ucsc.edu Wizards of the Coast, Inc.


matt...@utdallas.edu

unread,
Nov 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/14/95
to
Thomas R Wylie (aa...@cats.ucsc.edu) wrote:
> REVERSALS
> 1) Mask of a Thousand Faces cannot be used to take over an action that
> could only be performed by the acting minion. For example, it cannot take
> over Thadius Zho's special ability or Angus' special ability. It can still
> be used to take over an action that can be performed in general, but the
> Masking minion couldn't have performed normally (e.g., taking over a
> Thaumaturgy action when you don't have Thaumaturgy).

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but could someone enlighten me
as to weather it's possible to bleed, play [threat/bond/condition], then
play [maskof1000faces] and [threat/bond/condition] again? I think it's
not, since it's still the same action, but I'd like a semi-official
answer on this.

-ben
--
Ben Matthews
General Studies
The University of Texas at Dallas
(214) 883-2354

L. Scott Johnson

unread,
Nov 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/14/95
to
matt...@utdallas.edu writes:

>Thomas R Wylie (aa...@cats.ucsc.edu) wrote:

>> REVERSALS
>> 1) Mask of a Thousand Faces cannot be used to take over an action that
>> could only be performed by the acting minion. For example, it cannot take
>> over Thadius Zho's special ability or Angus' special ability. It can still
>> be used to take over an action that can be performed in general, but the
>> Masking minion couldn't have performed normally (e.g., taking over a
>> Thaumaturgy action when you don't have Thaumaturgy).

>I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but could someone enlighten me

>as to weather it's possible to bleed, play [threat/bond/condition], then
>play [maskof1000faces] and [threat/bond/condition] again? I think it's
>not, since it's still the same action, but I'd like a semi-official
>answer on this.

You cannot play more than one of [threat/bond/condition] per action
(card text on [threat/bond/condition]). A minion can only play one
of a given type action modifier per action [7.2.2]

However, WotC has ruled that the card text on [threat/bond/condition]
means that only one type of card from the set can be played - that
any number of that type may be played (as long as you have different
acting minion play them).

V1 bleeds.
V1 plays conditioning, for +3 bleed.
V2 play Mask1K.

V2 may not play threats nor bonding, since the conditioning that V1 played
is still in effect, but V2 *may* play a conditioning of his own.

V2 plays conditioning (+6 bleed)

...

Vn plays Mask1K
Vn play conditioning (+3n bleed).
<ouch!>


----
Munchkinism at its best.

Most people recognize that the text on [threat/bond/condition] limits
only one of any of those cards per total action, not simply of type of
those cards, in as great a number as desired. But official is official.

--
L. Scott Johnson (sjoh...@math.sc.edu) | These opinions are mine and
http://www.math.sc.edu/~sjohnson | are subject to card text.
Graphics Specialist and V:tES Rulemonger. |

L. Scott Johnson

unread,
Nov 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/15/95
to
Thomas R Wylie (aa...@cats.ucsc.edu) wrote:
>ERRATA TO CARDS AND RULES
>1) Brujah Frenzy should read "choose a ready untapped minion". If the only
>untapped minions available are vampires in torpor, Brujah Frenzy cannot be
>played.
>
>CARD RULINGS

>3) Brujah Frenzy can only be played if you can choose a ready untapped
>minion as the victim of the frenzy. However, it may be played whether or
>not it is possible for the Brujah to initiate combat with the second
>minion. (This may or may not be a reversal depending on how an entry in
>the June 22nd rulings is interpreted). For example, if a Brujah is
>attempting to leave torpor, it is possible to "block" that action with
>Brujah Frenzy, even though the Brujah cannot enter combat.


This is also a (rather significant) reversal to all of the other "Can BF be
used to send the acting Brujah into combat with a tapped minion" questions.


Subject: NEW: Rulings summary for Jyhad
Date: 9 Nov 1994 13:11:24 -0800

Brujah Frenzy:
As with any other "attack a minion" card, the Brujah affected may attack
a tapped minion.

---

Subject: Revised Jyhad FAQ: 4/18/95 version

Q: Brujah Frenzy: Can you have the Brujah attack someone
who is already tapped (like a directed attack) or not?
A: You can have the Brujah attack a tapped minion.

Is this an oversight or a real reversal?

L. Scott Johnson

unread,
Nov 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/17/95
to
aa...@cats.ucsc.edu (Thomas R Wylie) writes:
>Actually, the new versions of Bonding and so forth flatly prohibit you
>from playing any kind of bleed enhancers, not just enhancers from that
>trio of effects. So no, you would not be able to play Threats, take over
>with Mask of 1000 Faces, and play Threats again.

1. Yay! (and thanks!)

2. Are you errata'ing the old (Jyhad) cards, reversing the ruling
on the old Jyhad cards, or letting the old Jyhad cards be governed
by "play them as the latest cards are written, if you have access
to such information"?

Thomas R Wylie

unread,
Nov 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/17/95
to

Actually, the new versions of Bonding and so forth flatly prohibit you
from playing any kind of bleed enhancers, not just enhancers from that
trio of effects. So no, you would not be able to play Threats, take over
with Mask of 1000 Faces, and play Threats again.

Thomas R Wylie

unread,
Nov 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/17/95
to

L. Scott Johnson <sjoh...@math.scarolina.edu> wrote:
>>ERRATA TO CARDS AND RULES
>>1) Brujah Frenzy should read "choose a ready untapped minion". If the only
>>untapped minions available are vampires in torpor, Brujah Frenzy cannot be
>>played.
>>
>>CARD RULINGS

>>3) Brujah Frenzy can only be played if you can choose a ready untapped
>>minion as the victim of the frenzy. However, it may be played whether or
>>not it is possible for the Brujah to initiate combat with the second
>>minion. (This may or may not be a reversal depending on how an entry in
>>the June 22nd rulings is interpreted). For example, if a Brujah is
>>attempting to leave torpor, it is possible to "block" that action with
>>Brujah Frenzy, even though the Brujah cannot enter combat.
>
>
>This is also a (rather significant) reversal to all of the other "Can BF be
>used to send the acting Brujah into combat with a tapped minion" questions.
>
>
>Is this an oversight or a real reversal?

It's errata which leads to a reversal of sorts (as most errata does).

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages