Question about Inscription

21 views
Skip to first unread message

Jozxyqk

unread,
Nov 16, 2003, 8:07:20 AM11/16/03
to
Inscription is a piece of Equipment that requires Thaumaturgy.

[tha]: Put this equipment on a ready vampire and put a card that requires
Thaumaturgy from your hand on it (this acting vampire pays the cost of that
card). The vampire with this equipment can burn this equipment to use the
basic Thaumaturgy ability of that card.
[THA]: As above, but the vampire can use the superior Thaumaturgy ability of
that card.

My question is, is the 'put this on a ready vampire...' part, part of the
initial Equip action (like Charnas)? Or do you equip it yourself, and then
use the "ability" later?

Assuming that it is Charnas-like, is it still at +1 stealth like all other
equip actions (and otherwise treated like a standard equip action for other
effects)?
Is it a D action to put it on someone else's vampire?

LSJ

unread,
Nov 16, 2003, 9:41:47 AM11/16/03
to
Jozxyqk wrote:
> Inscription is a piece of Equipment that requires Thaumaturgy.
> My question is, is the 'put this on a ready vampire...' part, part of the
> initial Equip action (like Charnas)?

Yes.

> Assuming that it is Charnas-like, is it still at +1 stealth like all other
> equip actions (and otherwise treated like a standard equip action for other
> effects)?

Yes.

> Is it a D action to put it on someone else's vampire?

Yes, per the definition of D action.

--
LSJ (vte...@white-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep for White Wolf, Inc.
Links to V:TES news, rules, cards, utilities, and tournament calendar:
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

John P.

unread,
Nov 16, 2003, 10:02:04 AM11/16/03
to

"Jozxyqk" <jfeu...@eecs.tufts.edu> wrote in message news:cEKtb.165572$275.509385@attbi_s53...

> Inscription is a piece of Equipment that requires Thaumaturgy.
>
> [tha]: Put this equipment on a ready vampire and put a card that requires
> Thaumaturgy from your hand on it (this acting vampire pays the cost of that
> card). The vampire with this equipment can burn this equipment to use the
> basic Thaumaturgy ability of that card.
> [THA]: As above, but the vampire can use the superior Thaumaturgy ability of
> that card.

We came across this card at our pre-release and struggled for a bit
to find a worthwhile use for it.
For an action by another vampire, and the acting vampire paying the cost,
a vampire can use tha/THA once. The use we came up for it would be
Rutor's hand.

But breaking it down just now we noticed the "acting vamp pays cost bit".
That makes it a lot more attractive than I first thought. Can be used to load a
weenie with a powerful and expensive thaumaturgy card (rutors still works)
that the weenie cannot afford to play. Or Masika St. John can now sell
superior Rutor's hands to any vampire.... cool.

-JTP


Halcyan 2

unread,
Nov 16, 2003, 10:12:26 AM11/16/03
to
>We came across this card at our pre-release and struggled for a bit
>to find a worthwhile use for it.
>For an action by another vampire, and the acting vampire paying the cost,
>a vampire can use tha/THA once. The use we came up for it would be
>Rutor's hand.


Took me a while to figure out uses for this card:


#1. Pay now, play later. If you have an action or combat or other card but
don't want to play it now, you can use it this way to have access to it later.
Stack a Theft of Vitae or Shotgun Ritual for use later. Tack on that Perfect
Clarity now. It will help clear handjam a bit this way.

#2. Give it to your other vampires. Any thoughts on what happens when Rutored
Rebekka gives Jost an Inscription for his own Rutor's? =D

#3. Give it to other players. Now you can potentially offer other players
access to Theft of Vitae (bye Ambrosius!), Rutor's Hand, manuevers, or
responsible bleed! Okay, Mr. Grandpredator, next time you bleed use this here
Inscripted Perfect Clarity so my predator doesn't deflect it to me!


When I first saw the card I thought it was useless but now I'm seeing more and
more possibilities...


Halcyan 2

P.S. Don't forget you can also Magic of the Smith for an Inscripted Magic of
the Smith!

Timlagor

unread,
Nov 16, 2003, 11:03:14 AM11/16/03
to
John P. expounded:

> But breaking it down just now we noticed the "acting vamp pays cost bit".
> That makes it a lot more attractive than I first thought. Can be used to load a
> weenie with a powerful and expensive thaumaturgy card (rutors still works)
> that the weenie cannot afford to play. Or Masika St. John can now sell
> superior Rutor's hands to any vampire.... cool.

NB Rutor's only costs 1. The extra 3 is part of the effect. Still damn
nice to be able to throw 3/4 Masika StJ + 3/4 Rutor's + 3/4 MoS + 2/3
Inscriptions into almost any deck.

Jozxyqk

unread,
Nov 16, 2003, 12:10:04 PM11/16/03
to
More questions about Inscription:

Can a non-Anarch Inscribe Diversion onto another vampire?

Can a non-Anarch use Diversion if it is inscribed onto him?

(In either case, I assume that only the thaumaturgy version of
Diversion would be available to the receiver of the Inscription)

LSJ

unread,
Nov 16, 2003, 8:16:24 PM11/16/03
to
Jozxyqk wrote:
> More questions about Inscription:
> Can a non-Anarch Inscribe Diversion onto another vampire?

Yes. The inscribing vampire need not meet the requirements of the card.

> Can a non-Anarch use Diversion if it is inscribed onto him?

No. The vampire must meet all of the other requirements of the card.
He is only liberated from the Thaumaturgy requirement (and the cost).

> (In either case, I assume that only the thaumaturgy version of
> Diversion would be available to the receiver of the Inscription)

Correct.

Angus, the Unruled

unread,
Nov 17, 2003, 8:38:51 AM11/17/03
to
"John P." <verg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<MjMtb.403899$6C4.28882@pd7tw1no>...

Don't forget about Ankara Citadel.
If it's always the same minion paying, it's always the same minion who pays less :)

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages