[LSJ] Obedience+Freak drive vs Change of target+cat's guidance

henrik isaksson

Sep 26, 2004, 7:06:08 AM9/26/04
Can't find a clear answer to these Q:

A rushes B. No block. B playes obedience. Can A play inf freakdrive? Sup?
A rushes B. B block. B play obedience. Can A play sup freak drive?

I think the answer is yes on both.

Also there is an old ruling that if a vampire playes a wake and blocks and
the acting minion playes change of target, the blocking vampire can't play
cat's guidance as the action is ended.

I think that both obedience and change of target use aproximately the same
wording regarding ending the action, which would either allow both freak
drive and cat's guidance or disallow them both. LSJ?

Card texts:
Freak Drive [Jyhad:R2, VTES:R, CE:U/PV2, Anarchs:PG]
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Fortitude
[for] Only usable at the end of a successful action (after resolving the
action). Untap this vampire.
[FOR] As above, but usable even if the action is blocked (play after combat,
if any).

Obedience [Jyhad:U, VTES:U, Sabbat:U, SW:PV, CE:U]
Cardtype: Reaction
Discipline: Dominate
Only usable when this reacting vampire is about to enter combat with an
acting younger vampire.
[dom] Untap the acting vampire, do not tap this reacting vampire, and end
the current action (and combat). The acting vampire cannot attempt the same
action this turn.
[DOM] As above, but do not untap the acting vampire.

Cats' Guidance [Jyhad:C, VTES:C, Sabbat:C, SW:C/PT3, FN:PR4, CE:C/PN3,
Anarchs:PG3, BH:PN3]
Cardtype: Reaction
Discipline: Animalism
[ani] Only usable by a tapped vampire immediately after he or she blocks
(play after combat, if any). Untap this reacting vampire.
[ANI] +1 intercept.

Change of Target [Jyhad:U, VTES:U, CE:U, Anarchs:PAB2]
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Only usable when this acting minion is blocked (play before combat, if any).
Untap the acting minion, do not tap the blocking minion, and end the current
action (it is not successful). This minion cannot perform the same action
again this turn.

/henrik isaksson

The Lasombra

Sep 26, 2004, 9:31:45 AM9/26/04
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:06:08 +0200, "henrik isaksson"
<PLEASEDONTSP...@spray.se> wrote:

>Can't find a clear answer to these Q:

>A rushes B. No block. B playes obedience. Can A play inf freakdrive? Sup?
>A rushes B. B block. B play obedience. Can A play sup freak drive?

>I think the answer is yes on both.

There are 3 questions that you have posed. The answer is yes on all
three.

LSJ 2001-11-29
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C069D20.B4D2AA3%40white-wolf.com

>Also there is an old ruling that if a vampire playes a wake and blocks and
>the acting minion playes change of target, the blocking vampire can't play
>cat's guidance as the action is ended.

Change of Target ends the action immediately.
You cannot play reaction cards in the absence of an action, therefore
you cannot play Cat's Guidance after a Change of Target.

LSJ 1998-11-10
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3648391D.41C6%40wizards.com

>I think that both obedience and change of target use aproximately the same
>wording regarding ending the action, which would either allow both freak
>drive and cat's guidance or disallow them both. LSJ?

Scott has ruled differently on them in the past.
Freak Drive is played when the action ends, by card text.
Cat's Guidance is played when blocking, by card text.

It is my opinion that neither should be playable after their
appropriate hoser has been played, but Scott has ruled differently, as
linked above.

Carpe noctem.

Lasombra

http://www.TheLasombra.com

The Lasombra

Sep 26, 2004, 9:32:32 AM9/26/04
On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:06:08 +0200, "henrik isaksson"
<PLEASEDONTSP...@spray.se> wrote:

>Can't find a clear answer to these Q:

>A rushes B. No block. B playes obedience. Can A play inf freakdrive? Sup?
>A rushes B. B block. B play obedience. Can A play sup freak drive?

>I think the answer is yes on both.

There are 3 questions that you have posed. The answer is yes on all
three.

LSJ 2001-11-29
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C069D20.B4D2AA3%40white-wolf.com

>Also there is an old ruling that if a vampire playes a wake and blocks and
>the acting minion playes change of target, the blocking vampire can't play
>cat's guidance as the action is ended.

Change of Target ends the action immediately.

You cannot play reaction cards in the absence of an action, therefore
you cannot play Cat's Guidance after a Change of Target.

LSJ 1998-11-10
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3648391D.41C6%40wizards.com

>I think that both obedience and change of target use aproximately the same
>wording regarding ending the action, which would either allow both freak
>drive and cat's guidance or disallow them both. LSJ?

Scott has ruled differently on them in the past.

LSJ

Sep 26, 2004, 10:25:18 PM9/26/04
The Lasombra wrote:
> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:06:08 +0200, "henrik isaksson"
>>Can't find a clear answer to these Q:
>>A rushes B. No block. B playes obedience. Can A play inf freakdrive? Sup?
>>A rushes B. B block. B play obedience. Can A play sup freak drive?
>
>>I think the answer is yes on both.
>
> There are 3 questions that you have posed. The answer is yes on all
> three.
>
> LSJ 2001-11-29
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C069D20.B4D2AA3%40white-wolf.com

Actually, card text has changed since then.
Obedience ends the action now (rather than simply canceling the combat).

No action modifiers (like Freak) can be played after the action ends.

>>Also there is an old ruling that if a vampire playes a wake and blocks and
>>the acting minion playes change of target, the blocking vampire can't play
>>cat's guidance as the action is ended.
>
> Change of Target ends the action immediately.
> You cannot play reaction cards in the absence of an action, therefore
> you cannot play Cat's Guidance after a Change of Target.
>
> LSJ 1998-11-10
> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3648391D.41C6%40wizards.com
>
>>I think that both obedience and change of target use aproximately the same
>>wording regarding ending the action, which would either allow both freak
>>drive and cat's guidance or disallow them both. LSJ?
>
> Scott has ruled differently on them in the past.
> Freak Drive is played when the action ends, by card text.
> Cat's Guidance is played when blocking, by card text.
>
> It is my opinion that neither should be playable after their
> appropriate hoser has been played, but Scott has ruled differently, as
> linked above.

You are correct, given current card text.
The old ruling linked above was based on old card text.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Charles Lechasseur

Sep 27, 2004, 8:07:10 AM9/27/04
In article <iSK5d.637011$Gx4.4...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:

>The Lasombra wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:06:08 +0200, "henrik isaksson"
>>>Can't find a clear answer to these Q:
>>>A rushes B. No block. B playes obedience. Can A play inf freakdrive? Sup?
>>>A rushes B. B block. B play obedience. Can A play sup freak drive?
>>
>>>I think the answer is yes on both.
>>
>> There are 3 questions that you have posed. The answer is yes on all
>> three.
>>
>> LSJ 2001-11-29
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C069D20.B4D2AA3%40white-wolf.com
>
>Actually, card text has changed since then.
>Obedience ends the action now (rather than simply canceling the combat).
>
>No action modifiers (like Freak) can be played after the action ends.

I guess that when Obedience ends the action, it is not considered
successful. But if B blocks, isn't there a timing window where superior
Freak Drive can be played? Kind of like when a Strike: Combat Ends is
played, there's a timing window to play Taste, for example.

--
charles lechasseur - da...@novideospamtron.ca

LSJ

Sep 27, 2004, 8:28:59 AM9/27/04
"Charles Lechasseur" <da...@novideospamtron.ca> wrote in message

> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote:
> >> On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 13:06:08 +0200, "henrik isaksson"
Sup?

> >Obedience ends the action now (rather than simply canceling the combat).

> >No action modifiers (like Freak) can be played after the action ends.

> I guess that when Obedience ends the action, it is not considered
> successful.

Obedience doesn't affect that. If the action was successful (case 1
above), then it was succesful.

If it was unsuccessful (case 2), then it was unsuccessful.

> But if B blocks, isn't there a timing window where superior
> Freak Drive can be played? Kind of like when a Strike: Combat Ends is
> played, there's a timing window to play Taste, for example.

No. Obedience ends the action. Unlike combat, in which many things
can be done as combat is ending to forestall that (or to squeeze
in other effects in that window), there is no "as the action is
ending" phase -- there's a "after resolution, but still during
the action" window that many cards, like Freak Drive, use. But
Obedience ends that action earlier than that window -- up near
the start of resolution.

V:TES homepage: http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
Though effective, appear to be ineffective -- Sun Tzu