Q: Amaranth and Tension in the Ranks

scrote

Apr 23, 2005, 11:37:51 AM4/23/05
6.4.3. Strike
If one or both of the combatants are no longer ready (because one has
taken too much damage, for instance), then combat ends immediately. So
if a strike inflicts more damage than a minion can heal or prevent,
then combat ends at that point (no further strikes, no presses, etc.).
This is true at any point during combat, not just during strike
resolution.

Amaranth [Jyhad:U, VTES:U, CE:U, Anarchs:PAG, BH:PTo2]
Cardtype: Combat

Only usable by a vampire who can commit diablerie. Only usable when the
opposing vampire should go to torpor. Diablerize the opposing vampire
instead. Not usable by a vampire going to torpor.

Tension in the Ranks [CE:R2]
Cardtype: Master

Unique master.
Put this card in play. Whenever a ready minion is burned or sent to
torpor, the controller of the minion burns a pool. Any Methuselah can
burn this card by discarding 2 master cards as a master phase action.

So, does TitR trigger on a succesful Amaranth? That is to say, is the
minion being Amaranth'd considered to be still ready (a condition on
TitR) prior to the Amaranth being played?

Once a minion is no longer ready the combat immediately ends, so I
assume there must be a point in time, still in the combat (Amaranth is
a combat card afterall), when a minion is _about_ to not be ready
(going to torpor, but not there yet) that Amaranth can be played in.
The minion would burn in this window as a (just) ready minion and TitR
would trigger.

Close?

Cheers,
-Scrote

LSJ

Apr 23, 2005, 12:07:27 PM4/23/05
scrote wrote:
> Tension in the Ranks [CE:R2]
> So, does TitR trigger on a succesful Amaranth? That is to say, is the
> minion being Amaranth'd considered to be still ready (a condition on
> TitR) prior to the Amaranth being played?

Yes.
He's either ready or torpored first, either of which will trigger
TitR. For other cards, like Fame, where it actually matters, he
is in fact burned while ready (Fame is not triggered).

> Once a minion is no longer ready the combat immediately ends, so I
> assume there must be a point in time, still in the combat (Amaranth is
> a combat card afterall), when a minion is _about_ to not be ready
> (going to torpor, but not there yet) that Amaranth can be played in.

Amaranth is a "as combat is ending" combat card, yes.

> The minion would burn in this window as a (just) ready minion and TitR
> would trigger.
>
> Close?

Yes.

--
LSJ (vtesr...@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep (remove spam trap to reply)
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

jeff...@pacbell.net

Apr 23, 2005, 12:07:46 PM4/23/05

A minion in play is either ready or in torpor. Amaranth is playable
when a vampire should go to torpor (but isn't there yet). The diablerie
via Amaranth burns the vampire and triggers Tension in the Ranks. Looks
like you answered your own question. :)

Jeff

Colin McGuigan

Apr 23, 2005, 12:17:16 PM4/23/05
scrote wrote:
> So, does TitR trigger on a succesful Amaranth? That is to say, is the
> minion being Amaranth'd considered to be still ready (a condition on
> TitR) prior to the Amaranth being played?

Yes. The opposing minion is being burned from the ready region.

(Even, for sake of argument, if the opposing minion were somehow not in
the ready region, they must've been in the ready region at the start of
combat, so at some point they left...)

> Once a minion is no longer ready the combat immediately ends, so I
> assume there must be a point in time, still in the combat (Amaranth is
> a combat card afterall), when a minion is _about_ to not be ready
> (going to torpor, but not there yet) that Amaranth can be played in.
> The minion would burn in this window as a (just) ready minion and TitR
> would trigger.

There's a ruling that I'm too lazy to look up right now, but it
basically is, "regardless of how combat ends, there's always a chance to
play "end of combat" or "end of round" cards at the end of it." So even
if your opponent play Majesty, you can still play Taste of Vitae. Read
"combat ends" as "skip to the end of this round, past the press step".

This is also why you can play Taste of Vitae even if you're sending your
opponent to torpor, etc.

--Colin McGuigan

scrote

Apr 23, 2005, 12:15:39 PM4/23/05
Man, you three are question answering fiends.

Thanks for the clarifications though.

-Scrote

salem

Apr 23, 2005, 8:03:30 PM4/23/05
On 23 Apr 2005 09:15:39 -0700, "scrote" <mud...@hotmail.com> scrawled:

>Man, you three are question answering fiends.
>
>Thanks for the clarifications though.

hey scrote, did you notice this bit on amaranth?

"Only usable when the opposing vampire *should* go to torpor.
Diablerize the opposing vampire *instead*."

emphasis added. :)

salem
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adsltqna/VtES/index.htm
(replace "hotmail" with "yahoo" to email)

scrote

Apr 23, 2005, 8:51:23 PM4/23/05
Yeah, I noticed it, even without emphasis. I am pretty good :P

It came up the other night, and while we decided that TitR would
trigger, I simply had to have something official.

Cheers
-Scrote
BTW email me your street address so that I can post those cards back to
you.
Also, did you manage to give my doona to the Adelaide crowd?

James Coupe

Apr 24, 2005, 7:16:56 AM4/24/05
In message <1114303883....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

scrote <mud...@hotmail.com> writes:
>Yeah, I noticed it, even without emphasis. I am pretty good :P

Noticed what?

Without quoting and trimming whatever prompted your response, it's hard
to follow your posts.

--
James Coupe "Why do so many talented people turn out to be sexual
PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D deviants? Why can't they just be normal like me and

scrote

Apr 25, 2005, 6:16:48 PM4/25/05

salem wrote:
> On 23 Apr 2005 09:15:39 -0700, "scrote" <mud...@hotmail.com>
scrawled:

>>Man, you three are question answering fiends.
>>
>>Thanks for the clarifications though.
>
> hey scrote, did you notice this bit on amaranth?
>
> "Only usable when the opposing vampire *should* go to torpor.
> Diablerize the opposing vampire *instead*."

>>Yeah, I noticed it, even without emphasis. I am pretty good :P

Well, maybe only sort of good.

> Noticed what?

Obviously it was easy to find in this thread, but point taken.

> Without quoting and trimming whatever prompted your response, it's
hard
> to follow your posts.

I like the element of mystery.

Cheers,