Some rules questions

Ector

Sep 12, 2005, 12:01:31 PM9/12/05
1). AFAIK, it's illegal to play Concealed Weapon without a suitable
weapon card in hand. But can I play CW if I control Shilmulo Tarot and
have a weapon card on it, that can replace CW in my hand?
2). If I have Information Highway in play, can I play another or not? I
was pretty sure that contesting a card with myself is illegal, but some
players here insist that the second copy can be played and it would be
immediately burned.

Thanks in advance,
Ector

Aaron Dugan

Sep 12, 2005, 12:09:33 PM9/12/05

"Ector" <Ec...@mail.ru> a écrit dans le message de

2 you can't contest your cards
For your first question, I would say no, because if you need the weapon and
the Concealed Weapon card in your hand when you play it, and that's not the
case if it is under your Shilmulo Tarot, but I'm not totaly sure

Fabio 'Sooner' Macedo

Sep 12, 2005, 12:39:47 PM9/12/05
Aaron Dugan wrote:
> "Ector" <Ec...@mail.ru> a écrit dans le message de
> > 1). AFAIK, it's illegal to play Concealed Weapon without a suitable
> > weapon card in hand. But can I play CW if I control Shilmulo Tarot and
> > have a weapon card on it, that can replace CW in my hand?

I don't believe it's possible. Concealed Weapon is clear: "equip from
your hand". The weapon card on the Shilmulo Tarot is not in your hand.
If you were to assume that you can play the Concealed, replace it, and
then play the weapon, I don't see why it would be illegal to play the
CW and try to replace a weapon from your library... And as far as I
know, it *is* illegal.

> > 2). If I have Information Highway in play, can I play another or not? I
> > was pretty sure that contesting a card with myself is illegal, but some
> > players here insist that the second copy can be played and it would be
> > immediately burned.

You can't intentionally contest cards with yourself - i.e., you can't
voluntarily play a unique card you already control.
Your friends are probably referring to the ruling that states another
situation: if you are *forced* to contest a card with yourself for some
reason, then the incoming copy is burned - say, you use a Vast Wealth
action to fetch the first equipment card from your library, and it
happens to be a unique equipment you already have on another minion,
such as the Bowl of Convergence. In that case, the new Bowl is burned.
But that does not mean you can try to equip normally with a second Bowl
just to cycle cards, you'll have to discard it. The same goes for a
Info Highway when you already control one.

best,

Fabio "Sooner" Macedo
Giovanni Clan Newsletter Editor in absentia

Peter D Bakija

Sep 12, 2005, 4:02:16 PM9/12/05
Ector wrote:

> 2). If I have Information Highway in play, can I play another or not? I
> was pretty sure that contesting a card with myself is illegal, but some
> players here insist that the second copy can be played and it would be
> immediately burned.

You can't voluntarily contest your own card--you can't play a second copy of
Info Highway if you already have one in play; you can't equip with the Ivory
Bow if you already control one. So you can't play a second.

On the other hand, if you *involuntarily* bring a second copy of a unique
card you already control into play, the second one is burned. There are few
situations where this will ever come up, however:

1. If you influence out a vampire you already control, the second one is
burned (unless it is Jimmy Dunn, in which case the first one is burned).
Placing pool counters on a vampire is perfectly legal, even if you already
control that vampire. When a vampire has pool counters equal to its
capacity, it involuntarily enters the controlled reigon. As this is
involuntary, you can do this. Sometimes it happens by accident, 'cause, say,
you put a bunch of pool on a face down vampire, thinking it is one when it
is actually another, and when you flip it over thinking it is vampire A, and
it is vampire B, who you already control, you say "Doh." and burn the new
vampire.

2. There might be some cards that say something like "Take an action to
equip with the first piece of equipment you find in your deck from the top
down." which might allow you to involuntarily get a second copy of a unique
weapon or something into play, which will immediately burn too.

Peter D Bakija
pd...@lightlink.com
http://www.lightlink.com/pdb6

"So in conclusion, our business plan is to sell hot,
easily spilled liquids to naked people."
-Brittni Meil

LSJ

Sep 12, 2005, 8:12:34 PM9/12/05
Aaron Dugan wrote:
> "Ector" <Ec...@mail.ru> a écrit dans le message de
>
>>1). AFAIK, it's illegal to play Concealed Weapon without a suitable
>>weapon card in hand. But can I play CW if I control Shilmulo Tarot and
>>have a weapon card on it, that can replace CW in my hand?
>>2). If I have Information Highway in play, can I play another or not? I
>>was pretty sure that contesting a card with myself is illegal, but some
>>players here insist that the second copy can be played and it would be
>>immediately burned.
>
> 2 you can't contest your cards

Correct (you cannot play the second Info Hwy).

> For your first question, I would say no, because if you need the weapon and
> the Concealed Weapon card in your hand when you play it, and that's not the
> case if it is under your Shilmulo Tarot, but I'm not totaly sure

Correct, just like you cannot grab a weapon from under a Storage Annex with
CW.

A more plausible angle would be a weapon retrieved by Agaitas
(usable with CW, since it is considered to be in your hand) or Erciyes
Fragment (not usable with CW, since it is not in your hand).

--
LSJ (vtesr...@TRAPwhite-wolf.com) V:TES Net.Rep (remove spam trap to reply)
http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

adam....@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2005, 8:43:47 AM9/13/05

Minor question on what Peter said (haven't figured out if this means
anything or not yet).

If you contest your own vampire and the second one burns. Is that
vampire considered "entering play" and then "leaving play", then going
to the ash heap?

Aaron Dugan

Sep 13, 2005, 8:47:13 AM9/13/05

<adam....@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de

You can't contest your own cards, vampires included

adam....@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2005, 8:56:35 AM9/13/05

Read the second part of Peter's post please (the part with Jimmy Dunn).

Aaron Dugan

Sep 13, 2005, 9:01:05 AM9/13/05

<adam....@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de

sorry, I did not take time to read all his post, just yours. And I don't
know the answer... not very usefull today... I should go to sleep

LSJ

Sep 13, 2005, 5:47:49 PM9/13/05
adam....@gmail.com wrote:
> Minor question on what Peter said (haven't figured out if this means
> anything or not yet).
>
> If you contest your own vampire and the second one burns. Is that
> vampire considered "entering play" and then "leaving play", then going
> to the ash heap?

It is "played", but never enters play.
Like a to-be-contested Elder Library (you don't draw up for the new
hand size and then discard down as it gets contested -- although you
do pay for the play).