Thoughts Betrayed Question

Bern

Jan 3, 2002, 5:09:32 PM1/3/02
Thoughts Betrayed [DS, SW, FN]
Cardtype: Combat

Cost: 2 blood

Discipline: Dominate

[dom] Only usable before range is determined on the first round. Opposing
minion takes an additional 1 damage in the first round of combat during
strike resolution.
[DOM] Only usable before range is determined on the first round. Opposing
minion cannot play any strike cards for the duration of this combat.

Do opposing minion takes 1 additional damage during strike resolution on
inferior even if the combat is at long range?

/Bern

Martin Laganičre

Jan 3, 2002, 5:43:24 PM1/3/02

"Bern" <Morni...@mailcity.com> wrote in message

If your strike is long range , i would say yes .

LSJ

Jan 3, 2002, 5:58:07 PM1/3/02
Bern wrote:
> Thoughts Betrayed [DS, SW, FN]
> Do opposing minion takes 1 additional damage during strike resolution on
> inferior even if the combat is at long range?

No.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Martin Laganičre

Jan 3, 2002, 10:14:01 PM1/3/02

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

Looks like i played the card wrong ... Never late to learn !

Halcyan 2

Jan 3, 2002, 11:01:32 PM1/3/02
>> Thoughts Betrayed [DS, SW, FN]
>> Do opposing minion takes 1 additional damage during strike resolution on
>> inferior even if the combat is at long range?
>
>No.

I know that it follows the Wolf Companion text, but is there any particular
reason why Thoughts Betrayed doesn't inflict damage at long? Similarly, would
Drawing out the Beast inflict damage at long range?

Halcyan 2

LSJ

Jan 4, 2002, 7:57:59 AM1/4/02

As a strike resolution effect, it is affected by range (it functions similarly
to Retainer damage in that regard).

DotB's damage is not a "during strike resolution" effect.

Chris

Jan 7, 2002, 8:20:06 AM1/7/02
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> schrieb:

hi,

>Bern wrote:
>> Thoughts Betrayed [DS, SW, FN]
>> Do opposing minion takes 1 additional damage during strike resolution on
>> inferior even if the combat is at long range?
>
>No.

even if i throw a gate at him?

elaborate:
i think i understand that if i go to long and do hand damage my
opponent takes no damage, so he can't take 1 additional damage.

but if i go to long rage and throw something at him or shoot him, then
he takes damage, and also suffers the thoughts betrayed additional
damage.

if this is wrong, then could you please provide an explanation, why
this is so? in my opinion it would contradict card text!

regards
chris

LSJ

Jan 7, 2002, 10:09:47 AM1/7/02
Chris wrote:
> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> schrieb:

> >Bern wrote:
> >> Thoughts Betrayed [DS, SW, FN]
> >> Do opposing minion takes 1 additional damage during strike resolution on
> >> inferior even if the combat is at long range?
> >
> >No.
>
> even if i throw a gate at him?

?
Right.
Just as your Wolf Companion wouldn't care if you did so.

> but if i go to long rage and throw something at him or shoot him, then
> he takes damage, and also suffers the thoughts betrayed additional
> damage.

No. TB is not related to your strike. (cardtext)

> if this is wrong, then could you please provide an explanation, why
> this is so? in my opinion it would contradict card text!

Card text doesn't tie the effect to your strike.

Chris

Jan 8, 2002, 3:39:48 AM1/8/02
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> schrieb:

>No. TB is not related to your strike. (cardtext)
>
>> if this is wrong, then could you please provide an explanation, why
>> this is so? in my opinion it would contradict card text!
>
>Card text doesn't tie the effect to your strike.

yes, and it doesn't tie its effect to range, as opposed to wolf
companion (explicit card text)

disclaimer:
i'm not trying to argue with you, i just want to understand this!

regards
chris

LSJ

Jan 8, 2002, 11:00:07 AM1/8/02

The damage is done during strike resolution and is not 'R' damage.

Chris Berger

Jan 8, 2002, 1:08:11 PM1/8/02
Chris <ro...@gmx.at> wrote in message news:<idbl3us33b3pgloja...@4ax.com>...
> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> schrieb:

> >Card text doesn't tie the effect to your strike.
>
> yes, and it doesn't tie its effect to range, as opposed to wolf
> companion (explicit card text)
>
> disclaimer:
> i'm not trying to argue with you, i just want to understand this!

LSJ's answer is extremely unenlightening, so I'll see if I can explain
it. Note, that I'm not sure I completely understand why there is a
difference between damage during strike resolution and otherwise (i.e.
why there is a difference between TB and DoTB), but...

When you are looking at TB as being tied to your strike effect, I
believe that you are looking at it as though TB *adds* to your damage.
It does not. When it says "takes an additional point of damage", it
is not saying that it takes an additional point of damage from your
strike. Look at it instead as if it said "takes a point of damage."
The word "additional" simply means that the point of damage applies on
top of any damage that the other minion is already taking (which is
redundant, as all effects are considered to stack unless they say they
don't stack), and *does* not rely on whether or not the minion is
already taking damage. If the opposing minion takes no damage, but
you are at close range (e.g. if you dodge), then the TB damage will
still kick in.

Chris

Jan 9, 2002, 3:27:18 AM1/9/02
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> schrieb:

>Chris wrote:
>> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> schrieb:
>> >No. TB is not related to your strike. (cardtext)

>> >Card text doesn't tie the effect to your strike.
>>
>> yes, and it doesn't tie its effect to range, as opposed to wolf
>> companion (explicit card text)
>>
>> disclaimer:
>> i'm not trying to argue with you, i just want to understand this!
>
>The damage is done during strike resolution and is not 'R' damage.

ok, got it

thanks for your patience!

regards
chris

....salem christ....

Jan 11, 2002, 3:16:57 AM1/11/02
On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, LSJ wrote:

> > >No.
> >
> > I know that it follows the Wolf Companion text, but is there any particular
> > reason why Thoughts Betrayed doesn't inflict damage at long? Similarly, would
> > Drawing out the Beast inflict damage at long range?
>
> As a strike resolution effect, it is affected by range (it functions similarly
> to Retainer damage in that regard).
>
> DotB's damage is not a "during strike resolution" effect.

and yet s:ce+damage cards _are_ affectd by range, even though their
damage occurs after combat (where there is even less chance of "range"
being an issue than during the press step.)

curious, no?

salem.

Halcyan 2

Jan 11, 2002, 3:40:48 AM1/11/02
>> As a strike resolution effect, it is affected by range (it functions
>similarly
>> to Retainer damage in that regard).
>>
>> DotB's damage is not a "during strike resolution" effect.
>>

>and yet s:ce+damage cards _are_ affectd by range, even though their
>damage occurs after combat (where there is even less chance of "range"
>being an issue than during the press step.)
>
>curious, no?

Could be missing a newer card, but if you're thinking of Catatonic Fear and/or
Riposte, then the range issue for damage is dealt with due to card text (card
text requires range to be close for damage to be dealt in both cases). I am
curious however what would happen in a hypothetical card which doesn't specify
range...

Halcyan 2

LSJ

Jan 11, 2002, 6:31:42 AM1/11/02

You mean like Oubliette, which does damage even at long range?

Chris Berger

Jan 11, 2002, 11:09:43 AM1/11/02
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3C3ECD1E...@white-wolf.com>...

> Halcyan 2 wrote:
> >
> > Could be missing a newer card, but if you're thinking of Catatonic Fear and/or
> > Riposte, then the range issue for damage is dealt with due to card text (card
> > text requires range to be close for damage to be dealt in both cases). I am
> > curious however what would happen in a hypothetical card which doesn't specify
> > range...
>
> You mean like Oubliette, which does damage even at long range?

Doesn't do damage.

LSJ

Jan 12, 2002, 7:00:55 AM1/12/02

Ah. Right. Still, the not-stated-as-ranged effect applies (since it isn't done during
strike resolutin).

Thanks for the catch,
Scott

....salem christ....

Jan 12, 2002, 11:01:05 PM1/12/02
On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, LSJ wrote:

> > >similarly

> > >and yet s:ce+damage cards _are_ affectd by range, even though their
> > >damage occurs after combat (where there is even less chance of "range"
> > >being an issue than during the press step.)
> > >
> > >curious, no?
> >
> > Could be missing a newer card, but if you're thinking of Catatonic Fear and/or
> > Riposte, then the range issue for damage is dealt with due to card text (card
> > text requires range to be close for damage to be dealt in both cases). I am
> > curious however what would happen in a hypothetical card which doesn't specify
> > range...
>
> You mean like Oubliette, which does damage even at long range?

i thought burning blood and dealing damage were different. O:)

salem.