"Play when action is announced" querry

Neandertal

Aug 23, 2003, 3:11:19 PM8/23/03
An issue came up in our last tournament. An individual announced a
bleed action, playing a bleed modifier and sleeping mind at the same
time as announcing the bleed.

eg
I bleed you for 5 (2 inate and sup forshadowing destruction) as a
sleeping mind. Laying down all cards as he announced the action.

This was objected to by the person being bled. Claiming it was a
breech of the "play when action is announced" clause. The prson being
bled stated that the action was to bleed for 2 and when it was
modified by the bleed modifier, broke the ability to play a sleeping
mind. This objection was supported buy a judge that was observing the
game.

I am also a judge and disagree with this rulling, I feel that as the
card was played as the action was anounced as required buy the
sleeping mind, this was a valid modifier. As I was the person
bleeding, I defered to the observer as any view I had on the matter
was deemed to be self benifiting and not in the interest of fair play.

I ask LSJ that you clairify this issue for me.

Is it possible to play the sleeping mind in the above situation.

Colin Goodman

Aug 23, 2003, 3:18:42 PM8/23/03
If you read your post correctly then the player did wrong.

He can play the bleed action and then The Sleeping Mind, then the bleed mod.

He cannot play the bleed action, followed by the bleed mod and then The
Sleeping Mind.

-------------------------
Cambridge by Night.
http://www.geocities.com/eryx_uk/Cambridge_by_night.html

Damnans

Aug 23, 2003, 3:19:12 PM8/23/03

Neandertal wrote:

> An issue came up in our last tournament. An individual announced a
> bleed action, playing a bleed modifier and sleeping mind at the same
> time as announcing the bleed.

Note: Cards are never played at the same time, but sequentially.

> eg
> I bleed you for 5 (2 inate and sup forshadowing destruction) as a
> sleeping mind. Laying down all cards as he announced the action.
>
> This was objected to by the person being bled. Claiming it was a
> breech of the "play when action is announced" clause. The prson being
> bled stated that the action was to bleed for 2 and when it was
> modified by the bleed modifier, broke the ability to play a sleeping
> mind. This objection was supported buy a judge that was observing the
> game.

The action declaration does not end until the acting player says so.

So the acting player can play as many (legally-playable) action modifiers
as he chooses during the declaration of the action.

[...]

Greetings,
Damnans

Damnans

Aug 23, 2003, 3:22:09 PM8/23/03

Colin Goodman wrote:

[...]

> He cannot play the bleed action, followed by the bleed mod and then The
> Sleeping Mind.

Why not? The action is still in the action declaration step.

Name: The Sleeping Mind
[Sabbat:C, SW:C]
Cardtype: Action Modifier
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: Dominate
Only usable when the acting vampire's action is announced.
[dom] Choose a tapped vampire. The chosen vampire cannot attempt to block this
action.
[DOM] Only usable when the acting vampire's action is announced. Minions cannot
untap during this action.

Greetings,
Damnans

Colin Goodman

Aug 23, 2003, 4:09:03 PM8/23/03
>> He cannot play the bleed action, followed by the bleed mod and then The
>> Sleeping Mind.
>
>Why not? The action is still in the action declaration step.

I've always read "Only usable when the acting vampire's action is announced."
to be you nominate your action and then you play this card.

LSJ

Aug 23, 2003, 5:20:18 PM8/23/03

You can play SM when the action is announced.

The illegal part above seems to be the play of Foreshadowing of
Destruction as the action is announced. FoD cannot be played as
the action is announced.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Blargleman

Aug 23, 2003, 7:29:59 PM8/23/03
Hmm...

This would appear to contradict the Anarchs Rulebook, specifically:

<snip>
6.2. Taking an Action
Any ready untapped minion you control can take an action. The procedure for
resolving an action is described in the following sections. Note that action
modifiers and reaction cards can be played at any time in this process as
appropriate, subject to the restrictions on adding stealth and intercept
listed below and the restrictions against the same minion playing the same
action modifier or reaction card more than once (see Minion Cards, sec.
1.6.3), and following the same sequencing strictures of all effects (see
Sequencing, sec. 1.6.1.6).

Summary of the Course of an Action
*The action is declared, and the card used for the action (action card,
equipment, etc.) is played, if any. Tap the minion who is taking the action
(the "acting minion").
</snip>

My confusion is that the dot point (above) easily falls within the time
described in: "Note that action modifiers and reaction cards can be played
at any time in this process as appropriate...". Is not this first point 'any
time'? If so, then any (non-stealth) action modifier should be able to be
played when the action is declared, including (as required) those that must
be played then.

The funny thing is that this question came up in a game yesterday and is an
interesting coincidence (unless of course 'Neandertal' is an Aussie (and
didn't let me know his newsgroup handle)! :) I said that I would ask this
question when I next got online, and when I next got online, there was the
question..

Cheers!

"LSJ" <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message

Dr. Fish

Aug 23, 2003, 9:03:43 PM8/23/03
To me, the action is no longer in the "declare during action" stage
only when the defending methuselah states whether or not he/she is
blocking and with whom. I think of it like combat. Before range is
chosen cards can be played only before manuvers are settled. Same
thing here, but the "Before Range" step is the action declaration
step. I think it perfectly fine the way he did it, but if you want to
be picky, just rearange the order in which the cards were played, ie.
Bleed action, Sleeping Mind, then Foreshadowing. Since you can play
the action modifier whenever you want after the action is declared, he
could have done it that way.

If it is a question of drawing into the Sleeping Mind, then I would
say that redraw into the hand happens immediatly after the card is
played (in theory), so the player could claim his opponent didn't give
him enough time to declare everything.

Dr. Fish

salem

Aug 24, 2003, 12:26:30 AM8/24/03
On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:20:18 -0400, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com>
scrawled:

>You can play S[leeping] M[ind] when the action is announced.

>The illegal part above seems to be the play of Foreshadowing of
>Destruction as the action is announced. FoD cannot be played as
>the action is announced.

To clarify: From my own memory and a refesher course i read from doing
a google groups search:

ONLY effects that explicitly say '(only) usable as an action is
announced' are playable during the 'as an action is announced' step.

Other effects that are playable during an action must wait until after
the 'as an action is announced' step.

EXCEPT things that don't actually effect the action, for example, Wake
with Evening's Freshness. You seem to be allowed to play WwEF and then
a Rewind Time even before the 'as an action is announced' step.
****
From: LSJ (vte...@white-wolf.com)
Subject: Re: LSJ : Rewind Time
Newsgroups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad
Date: 2001-11-12 11:06:37 PST

Shaun McIsaac wrote:
> Player A announces GtU at inferior.
>
> 1) Should Player A play seduction now, or does B have his opportunity
> to play Rewind Time before the seduction could be played?

The latter.

> 2) If B has a tapped vampire with at least 2 blood and at least tem,
> can he Wake With Evening's Freshness that vamp and play Rewind Time
> (tem version), or has his window of opportunity already passed -- thus
> making the True Brujah too late to rewind time?

The former.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/
****

can you confirm/deny please Mr. J, LS?

salem
domain:canberra http://www.geocities.com/salem_christ.geo/vtes.htm

salem

Aug 24, 2003, 12:31:50 AM8/24/03
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:29:59 +1000, "Blargleman"
<glen_r...@optusnet.com.au> scrawled:

>The funny thing is that this question came up in a game yesterday and is an
>interesting coincidence (unless of course 'Neandertal' is an Aussie (and
>didn't let me know his newsgroup handle)! :) I said that I would ask this
>question when I next got online, and when I next got online, there was the
>question..
>
>Cheers!

his email address is ...@cqnet.com.au

which suggests to me that he is indeed an aussie. aussie. aussie.

oi. oi. oi.

Reyda

Aug 24, 2003, 7:34:22 AM8/24/03

"salem" <salem_ch...@yahoo.com> wrote

> From: LSJ (vte...@white-wolf.com)
> Subject: Re: LSJ : Rewind Time
> Newsgroups: rec.games.trading-cards.jyhad
> Date: 2001-11-12 11:06:37 PST
(snip)

> > 2) If B has a tapped vampire with at least 2 blood and at least tem,
> > can he Wake With Evening's Freshness that vamp and play Rewind Time
> > (tem version), or has his window of opportunity already passed -- thus
> > making the True Brujah too late to rewind time?
>
> The former.
>
> --
> LSJ

HEY !? me thought you had to be untapped all the time to play rewind time ?

Orpheus

Aug 24, 2003, 7:44:47 AM8/24/03
> > > 2) If B has a tapped vampire with at least 2 blood and at least tem,
> > > can he Wake With Evening's Freshness that vamp and play Rewind Time
> > > (tem version), or has his window of opportunity already passed -- thus
> > > making the True Brujah too late to rewind time?

It is never too late for anything when you have Temporis... ;-)

> HEY !? me thought you had to be untapped all the time to play rewind time
?

Why would that be ? Rewind Time is a reaction like any other, so you just
have to be able to react "as if untapped", right ?

Orpheus

Reyda

Aug 24, 2003, 7:45:09 AM8/24/03

"Orpheus" <orph...@free.fr> wrote

> > HEY !? me thought you had to be untapped all the time to play rewind
time

> Why would that be ? Rewind Time is a reaction like any other, so you just
> have to be able to react "as if untapped", right ?
>
> Orpheus

Oh i remember : it's only when you want to cancel a master card because
there is no action to react to.

salem

Aug 24, 2003, 7:56:26 AM8/24/03
On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:34:22 +0200, "Reyda" <true_...@hotmail.com>
scrawled:

>HEY !? me thought you had to be untapped all the time to play rewind time ?

i know you have to be genuinely untapped to play RW at superior TEM.
Because the card itself lets you play it (a reaction card) during a
master phase, when normally you wouldn't be allowed to play a reaction
card (because there was no action to react to), whereas wake and
forced awake have no special text on them allowing them to be played
when there is no action, so you can't play a wake/forced awake to
allow you to play a RW at superior TEM if the vampire is tapped.

LSJ

Aug 24, 2003, 8:22:54 AM8/24/03
Blargleman wrote:
> My confusion is that the dot point (above) easily falls within the time
> described in: "Note that action modifiers and reaction cards can be played
> at any time in this process as appropriate...". Is not this first point 'any
> time'? If so, then any (non-stealth) action modifier should be able to be
> played when the action is declared, including (as required) those that must
> be played then.

It is "at any time" but it is not "as appropriate".
Since it is not an "as announced" modifier, it cannot be played "as
announced", but can only be played after the action is announced.

Neandertal

Aug 25, 2003, 3:21:34 AM8/25/03
Thank you LSJ for your prompt reply.

I understand your rulling and now understand that there are stages to
playing actions and action modifiers, not all playable at once.

many thanks

Timlagor

Aug 25, 2003, 7:33:29 PM8/25/03
LSJ expounded:

> Blargleman wrote:
> > My confusion is that the dot point (above) easily falls within the time
> > described in: "Note that action modifiers and reaction cards can be played
> > at any time in this process as appropriate...". Is not this first point 'any
> > time'? If so, then any (non-stealth) action modifier should be able to be
> > played when the action is declared, including (as required) those that must
> > be played then.
>
> It is "at any time" but it is not "as appropriate".
> Since it is not an "as announced" modifier, it cannot be played "as
> announced", but can only be played after the action is announced.

I don't understand this at all. I suppose it doesn't really matter so
long as everyone knows and plays the same but without the specific
ruling I can't see why they would play like this.

It certainly isn't clear (or even implied) in the rules that actions
cannot be modified as they are declared -Sleeping Mind REQUIRES it- and
FoS doesn't in any way indicate that it can't be played then.

How should I distinguish between a card I can play whenever I like in
the process of taking an action and one that I can't if it doesn't say?
In other words: what is your definition of "appropriate"?

LSJ

Aug 25, 2003, 8:49:18 PM8/25/03
Timlagor wrote:
> How should I distinguish between a card I can play whenever I like in
> the process of taking an action and one that I can't if it doesn't say?
> In other words: what is your definition of "appropriate"?

Card text.

Cards are played one at a time.
Action Modifiers cannot be played before the action is announced, so must
be played after.
Some have special text requiring them to be played as the action is
announced, so can be.

See also Sudden and playing cards "as" other cards are played (not normally
allowed).

Chris Arthur

Aug 26, 2003, 11:10:22 PM8/26/03
[snip]

> You can play SM when the action is announced.
>
> The illegal part above seems to be the play of Foreshadowing of
> Destruction as the action is announced. FoD cannot be played as
> the action is announced.

So can you bleed, play SM and then FoD? Or do you have to wait for
another player to do something before playing FoD?

Chris.

Timlagor

Aug 27, 2003, 7:21:31 AM8/27/03
LSJ expounded:

> Timlagor wrote:
> > How should I distinguish between a card I can play whenever I like in
> > the process of taking an action and one that I can't if it doesn't say?
> > In other words: what is your definition of "appropriate"?
>
> Card text.
>
> Cards are played one at a time.
> Action Modifiers cannot be played before the action is announced, so must
> be played after.

Does this mean that you can't redraw between playing the action and
playing the SM?

This doesn't appear to have anything to do with "appropriate". SM and
others 'create a phase in which cards can be played' (just like before
range) and there is no reason in the rules to say that you can't play
other cards in that window.
"As apporpriate" can certainly be interpreted as saying you can't modify
an action you haven't announced yet -I'll agree to that much ;-)

I recommend a rewording: "Note that action modifiers and reaction cards
can be played at any time [<snip> in this process as appropriate]
*AFTER THE ACTION IS ANNOUNCED* , subject to the restrictions on adding
stealth and intercept ..." (except where overruled by card text of
course)

> Some have special text requiring them to be played as the action is
> announced, so can be.
>
> See also Sudden and playing cards "as" other cards are played (not normally
> allowed).

(can't find it)

SM (etc.) are not played "AS" other cards are played; they are played
"WHEN" an action is announced -ie at the time of the announcement but
not necessarily the precise moment -contiguous in time but not
necessarily simultaneous.
The normal sequence in VTES is "acting Meth plays all they want,
reacting Meth plays one, Acting Meth,... Reacting Meth declines to play"
then you move on. I haven't seen anything to indicate that "play when
the action is announced" is any different.

Sorry to bang on but I just can't see any consistancy here.

Timlagor

Aug 27, 2003, 7:40:05 AM8/27/03
Timlagor expounded:
> LSJ expounded:

> > Some have special text requiring them to be played as the action is
> > announced, so can be.
> >
> > See also Sudden and playing cards "as" other cards are played (not normally
> > allowed).
> (can't find it)

OK found something after all (don't know if it's waht you are referring
to):

LSJ says
"Direct Intervention. Is also played immediately after the card you want
to cancel, or not at all.

This screws up some timing involving modifiers that must be played "as
the action is announced", so I'd suggest allowing the acting player to
"undo" such action modifiers (pick it back up, return the card drawn to
replace it back on the library, etc.). The clean solution to this is to
announce each action (and play the card) and then ask "any direct
intervention?" before going on to play the required action modifiers.
But that's a bit cumbersome."

Seems to say that "WHEN the action is announced" (Seduction/SM/etc)
occurs AFTER "AS the action is announced" (Direct Intervention) and
furthermore that you can play multiple cards (are redraw for them) in
this period (when the action) -e.g. SM then Seduction.

<semantic pedantry>
Furthermore the cards say "ONLY PLAYABLE WHEN..." which is a restriction
and does not actually empower them to be played at that time -but does
imply that they are *already* playable at that time.

John Keech

Aug 27, 2003, 8:20:40 AM8/27/03
"Chris Arthur" <chr...@comcen.com.au> wrote in message
<snip>

> So can you bleed, play SM and then FoD? Or do you have to wait for
> another player to do something before playing FoD?
>
> Chris.

The Former. As you can play FoD at any time in the action beween SM and
any kind of deflection or anything, this whole arguement seems a bit
stupid to me...

Cheers

JK

LSJ

Aug 27, 2003, 9:05:58 AM8/27/03
Timlagor wrote:
> LSJ expounded:
>
>>Timlagor wrote:
>>
>>>How should I distinguish between a card I can play whenever I like in
>>>the process of taking an action and one that I can't if it doesn't say?
>>>In other words: what is your definition of "appropriate"?
>>
>>Card text.
>>
>>Cards are played one at a time.
>>Action Modifiers cannot be played before the action is announced, so must
>>be played after.
>

> Does this mean that you can't redraw between playing the action and
> playing the SM?

No.

>>See also Sudden and playing cards "as" other cards are played (not normally
>>allowed).
>
> (can't find it)

> SM (etc.) are not played "AS" other cards are played; they are played
> "WHEN" an action is announced -ie at the time of the announcement but
> not necessarily the precise moment -contiguous in time but not
> necessarily simultaneous.

True. That doesn't invalidate the parallel drawn, however.

> The normal sequence in VTES is "acting Meth plays all they want,
> reacting Meth plays one, Acting Meth,... Reacting Meth declines to play"
> then you move on. I haven't seen anything to indicate that "play when
> the action is announced" is any different.
>
> Sorry to bang on but I just can't see any consistancy here.

Parallel spelled out:

Sudden can only be played when the master card is played, so can be played
when the master card is played. Other cards, lacking the "only as played"
stipulation cannot be.

SM can only be played when the action is announced, so can be played
when the action is announced. Other cards, lacking the "only as announced"
stipulation cannot be.

LSJ

Aug 27, 2003, 9:24:37 AM8/27/03
Timlagor wrote:
> LSJ says
> "Direct Intervention. Is also played immediately after the card you want
> to cancel, or not at all.
>
> This screws up some timing involving modifiers that must be played "as
> the action is announced", so I'd suggest allowing the acting player to
> "undo" such action modifiers (pick it back up, return the card drawn to
> replace it back on the library, etc.). The clean solution to this is to
> announce each action (and play the card) and then ask "any direct
> intervention?" before going on to play the required action modifiers.
> But that's a bit cumbersome."

> Seems to say that "WHEN the action is announced" (Seduction/SM/etc)
> occurs AFTER "AS the action is announced" (Direct Intervention) and
> furthermore that you can play multiple cards (are redraw for them) in
> this period (when the action) -e.g. SM then Seduction.

Note: DI is not "AS the action is announced". It is "as the card is played".

"As the card is played" is, effectively, before the action is announced.
The two events are effectively one and the same except for cases like
Direct Intervention. Just as the play of a master card and the resolution
of a master card are one and the same except for cases like Sudden.

[LSJ 06-JUN-2002]
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3CFF7650.1528FB1E%40white-wolf.com

[LSJ 16-DEC-2002]
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3DFE2B29.40850F61%40white-wolf.com

[LSJ 15-APR-2003]
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3E9BF33E.2070105%40white-wolf.com

You can play multiple "as announced" effects as you are announcing the
action, yes.

[LSJ 05-MAR-2002]
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3C84C731.C7FA8E50%40white-wolf.com

> <semantic pedantry>
> Furthermore the cards say "ONLY PLAYABLE WHEN..." which is a restriction
> and does not actually empower them to be played at that time -but does
> imply that they are *already* playable at that time.

Welcome to English as a CG language.

See Hidden Lurker and Mask of a Thousand Faces "Only usable by a ready
untapped vampire other than the acting minion." By your assertion, that
restriction implies that modifiers are already playable by such minions.

See Save Face, Martyr's Resilience, etc. By your assertion, the restrictions
imply that combat cards are already playable by minions not involved in
the combat.