[LSJ] Intercept cards

Damnans

Aug 13, 2001, 7:34:35 AM8/13/01
Vampire A plays a Bum's Rush targetting vampire B.
B attempts to block, and A plays superior Lost in Crowds to get +2
stealth.
B plays superior Precognition to get +1 intercept, but does not block
the action.
Combat occurs, and Precognition reads:

[aus] +1 intercept
[AUS] As above, and if combat occurs, prevent 1 damage during the first
round of combat.

So, may B prevent 1 damage during the resulting combat, although this
combat is not due to a successful blocking attempt?.

Thanks in advance, and greetings.
Damnans

LSJ

Aug 13, 2001, 8:08:38 AM8/13/01

No. Like the updated Guard Dogs, et al., the card requires a block to
grant a maneuver.

http://www.white-wolf.com/vtes/

Henrik

Aug 13, 2001, 5:09:06 PM8/13/01
LSJ skrev i meddelandet <3B77C346...@white-wolf.com>...

>Damnans wrote:
>>
>> Vampire A plays a Bum's Rush targetting vampire B.
>> B attempts to block, and A plays superior Lost in Crowds to get +2
>> stealth.
>> B plays superior Precognition to get +1 intercept, but does not block
>> the action.
>> Combat occurs, and Precognition reads:
>>
>> [aus] +1 intercept
>> [AUS] As above, and if combat occurs, prevent 1 damage during the first
>> round of combat.
>>
>> So, may B prevent 1 damage during the resulting combat, although this
>> combat is not due to a successful blocking attempt?.
>
>No. Like the updated Guard Dogs, et al., the card requires a block to
>grant a maneuver.

Related question:
Let's say A intercepts something with a precognition, combat occurs. In
first round of combat A prevents a handstrike with the precognition. B blurs
and plays form of mist. A wakes and playes more intercept. Does A get to use
the precognition again in the new combat?

/Henrik

LSJ

Aug 14, 2001, 8:12:01 AM8/14/01
Henrik wrote:
> LSJ skrev i meddelandet <3B77C346...@white-wolf.com>...
> >No. Like the updated Guard Dogs, et al., the card requires a block to
> >grant a maneuver.
> >
> Let's say A intercepts something with a precognition, combat occurs. In
> first round of combat A prevents a handstrike with the precognition. B blurs
> and plays form of mist. A wakes and playes more intercept. Does A get to use
> the precognition again in the new combat?

Yes. It's still block-combat.

Talo...@hotmail.com

Aug 14, 2001, 1:45:25 PM8/14/01
On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:12:01 -0400, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com>
wrote:

>Henrik wrote:
>> LSJ skrev i meddelandet <3B77C346...@white-wolf.com>...
>> >No. Like the updated Guard Dogs, et al., the card requires a block to
>> >grant a maneuver.
>> >
>> Let's say A intercepts something with a precognition, combat occurs. In
>> first round of combat A prevents a handstrike with the precognition. B blurs
>> and plays form of mist. A wakes and playes more intercept. Does A get to use
>> the precognition again in the new combat?
>
>Yes. It's still block-combat.

Clarification: he doesnt get to use the OLD precognition again does
he, for the prevent damage that is?

LSJ

Aug 14, 2001, 2:06:14 PM8/14/01

He does. The action modifier is still in effect.

Joshua Duffin

Aug 14, 2001, 2:54:21 PM8/14/01
LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3B791591...@white-wolf.com>...

> Henrik wrote:
> > LSJ skrev i meddelandet <3B77C346...@white-wolf.com>...
> > >No. Like the updated Guard Dogs, et al., the card requires a block to
> > >grant a maneuver.
> > >
> > Let's say A intercepts something with a precognition, combat occurs. In
> > first round of combat A prevents a handstrike with the precognition. B blurs
> > and plays form of mist. A wakes and playes more intercept. Does A get to use
> > the precognition again in the new combat?
>
> Yes. It's still block-combat.

The current wording of Spirit's Touch on the White Wolf site hasn't
been changed to match that template. Should it be taken to work the
same way?

Also, I see that Precognition's wording is now (I think this is
different?) "this vampire can prevent up to 1 damage" - does that
mean that the prevention is now optional?

Thanks.

Josh

'trouble is
his middle name
kicking buckets
that's his game'

LSJ

Aug 14, 2001, 2:55:14 PM8/14/01
Joshua Duffin wrote:

> LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com> wrote in message news:<3B791591...@white-wolf.com>...
> > Henrik wrote:
> > > >
> > > Let's say A intercepts something with a precognition, combat occurs. In
> > > first round of combat A prevents a handstrike with the precognition. B blurs
> > > and plays form of mist. A wakes and playes more intercept. Does A get to use
> > > the precognition again in the new combat?
> >
> > Yes. It's still block-combat.
>
> The current wording of Spirit's Touch on the White Wolf site hasn't
> been changed to match that template. Should it be taken to work the
> same way?

Yes.

> Also, I see that Precognition's wording is now (I think this is
> different?) "this vampire can prevent up to 1 damage" - does that
> mean that the prevention is now optional?

The prevention is optional.

Talo...@hotmail.com

Aug 18, 2001, 12:20:24 AM8/18/01
On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 14:06:14 -0400, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com>
wrote:

>Talo...@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 08:12:01 -0400, LSJ <vte...@white-wolf.com>
>> wrote:

>> >Yes. It's still block-combat.
>> >

>> Clarification: he doesnt get to use the OLD precognition again does
>> he, for the prevent damage that is?
>
>He does. The action modifier is still in effect.

But...its already been used.

LSJ

Aug 18, 2001, 7:01:41 AM8/18/01

So has the +1 intercept.
I don't see a restriction on the number of "resulting" combats.

Roger Carhult

Aug 18, 2001, 8:52:51 AM8/18/01

> > >He does. The action modifier is still in effect.
> > >

> > But...its already been used.
>
> So has the +1 intercept.
> I don't see a restriction on the number of "resulting" combats.

I don't think that's a fair comparison though. As I see it the
intercept is not "used up" when you intercept an action. It's merely
provided and sticks to the vampire for the remainder of the action,
much like the increased hand damage is provided for the remainder of
the combat with Torn Signpost. TS is never used up in the combat.
Precognition however lets you prevent 1 damage during the first round
of combat (btw there's a typo on the WW site saying "during the firs
round"). It's something you "use up" when you make use of it, since
there's a number provided for how much damage you may prevent (and
implicitly it's understood you may only use this ability once in the
first round of combat, thus when you have done that you have used up
the ability for that combat). Text doesn't say "_each combat_ during
the first round" although it could arguably be interpreted as that.
But I don't think it's as clear cut case as the +1 intercept.

James Coupe

Aug 18, 2001, 9:05:08 AM8/18/01
In message <3B7E4B15...@white-wolf.com>, LSJ <vtesrep@white-
wolf.com> writes

>So has the +1 intercept.
>I don't see a restriction on the number of "resulting" combats.

The fact that it is worded "the resulting combat" (singular) could be
taken as a limitation to 1.

--
James Coupe PGP Key: 0x5D623D5D
Close your eyes so you don't feel them EBD690ECD7A1F

LSJ

Aug 18, 2001, 5:54:32 PM8/18/01
James Coupe wrote:

> In message <3B7E4B15...@white-wolf.com>, LSJ <vtesrep@white-
> wolf.com> writes
> >So has the +1 intercept.
> >I don't see a restriction on the number of "resulting" combats.
>
> The fact that it is worded "the resulting combat" (singular) could be
> taken as a limitation to 1.

Singular in that there is only one combat that results from one block.

Since there are two blocks while the action modifier is in effect (an
oddity in general), the intercept can be used to block twice and the
reacting minion gets an optional maneuver in the resulting combats
("the resulting combat" from the first block and "the resulting combat"
from the second block).

See also Donal, which uses a singular "combat" when referring to being
blocked - which also refers to each and every block combat.

Roger Carhult

Aug 19, 2001, 8:10:32 AM8/19/01
> > In message <3B7E4B15...@white-wolf.com>, LSJ <vtesrep@white-
> > wolf.com> writes
> > >So has the +1 intercept.
> > >I don't see a restriction on the number of "resulting" combats.
> >
> > The fact that it is worded "the resulting combat" (singular) could be
> > taken as a limitation to 1.
>
> Singular in that there is only one combat that results from one block.

But with !Psyche there can be two combats from one block, you get to
prevent twice?

> Since there are two blocks while the action modifier is in effect (an
> oddity in general), the intercept can be used to block twice and the
> reacting minion gets an optional maneuver in the resulting combats
> ("the resulting combat" from the first block and "the resulting combat"
> from the second block).

I think you mean prevent 1 damage and not maneuver since we were
talking about precognition but I get the idea.

LSJ

Aug 19, 2001, 8:41:16 AM8/19/01
Roger Carhult wrote:

> > > In message <3B7E4B15...@white-wolf.com>, LSJ <vtesrep@white-
> > > wolf.com> writes
> > >
> > > The fact that it is worded "the resulting combat" (singular) could be
> > > taken as a limitation to 1.
> >
> > Singular in that there is only one combat that results from one block.
>
> But with !Psyche there can be two combats from one block, you get to
> prevent twice?

No. The combat that results from Psyche! is not the result of a block.