Greetings at the Neutral quest (YAFP) [Slashem]

Janis Papanagnou

Jun 10, 2022, 9:53:06 PM6/10/22
Passed the portal to the Neutral quest, into the dark, but a
yellow light made it possible to see the welcome message "Hey"
they had organized there for my Chaotic rogue.

2
22 --- ..e
.Hey.e.@.
--- e..2

Janis

Janis Papanagnou

Jun 14, 2022, 1:16:04 AM6/14/22
Thinking about how improbable that constellation is I inspected
the beholder.des file; that level has initially

201 squares (including the portal, with my @ on top)
38 'e' (including the beholder)
4 random monsters

(The level has also three pit traps and 5 random traps that may
be polytraps, but I suppose when entering the level no monster
will use that at that initial stage. I suppose gas spores can
be generated on a pit or on a closed door square? - Hmm..)

Slashem has about 640 monster species (not all will be able to
appear at that stage, though). And there are six giant species.

So what's the probability that from the four random monsters
one will be a 'H' (some giant) and one a yellow light?
And then the probability that they will be generated at the
marked positions to form this word? (And for legibility with
free spaces around that word, for bonus points.) Of course it
must be completely in line of sight from the portal.

Anyone fit enough to do the math? Just a rough estimate would
be fine. (My mind is oscillating, already from writing that %-)

Janis

Praetor Mandrake

Jun 14, 2022, 4:35:10 PM6/14/22
Certainly it was mathematically improbable, but it could have
just as well said "Cheeri-o."