Question about temple priest distance from altar

881 views
Skip to first unread message

funcrunch

unread,
Jul 21, 2008, 3:47:49 PM7/21/08
to
I found a large co-aligned temple and thought it would be nice to make
a boulder fort to keep the resident priest out of the way during my
sacfest. But try as I might I could not get the priest to move more
than a step away from the altar, so I always either had a gap in the
blockade, or a boulder on the altar itself.

Can some code-diver tell me if a peaceful temple priest is designed to
always be a certain distance from his altar? I could make a screenshot
if helpful, but I'm a good dozen levels away now and have a couple of
good pets that I'd rather not snack on the priest, so I was just going
to use another, unattended altar for my sacfest if I can't get this
idea to work...

- funcrunch

Janis Papanagnou

unread,
Jul 21, 2008, 4:21:21 PM7/21/08
to

Not source diving but from long time observation. Priests always stay
as close as possible to their altar or the eight squares adjacent to the
altar, if possible. In a recent game (must have been the current game, I
think) I had a lot of pets magic whistled around me and it happened that
the priest did not have enough room to stay close, so he departed for a
distance of two squares (but he returned as soon as there was room again).

Janis

Doug Freyburger

unread,
Jul 22, 2008, 3:41:27 PM7/22/08
to
Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanag...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> funcrunch wrote:
>
> > I found a large co-aligned temple and thought it would be nice to make
> > a boulder fort to keep the resident priest out of the way during my
> > sacfest. But try as I might I could not get the priest to move more
> > than a step away from the altar, so I always either had a gap in the
> > blockade, or a boulder on the altar itself.
>
> ... Priests always stay

> as close as possible to their altar or the eight squares adjacent to the
> altar, if possible. In a recent game (must have been the current game, I
> think) I had a lot of pets magic whistled around me and it happened that
> the priest did not have enough room to stay close, so he departed for a
> distance of two squares (but he returned as soon as there was room again).

Displaced by a peaceful other than the player doesn't
anger a peaceful. Interesting.

Displaced by a hostile is how Nethack does combat.
A player trying a displacement gets asked if you really
want to attack (except confusion, halucination,
Stormy).

So the trick to it is moving a boulder fort forward then
getting a pet to displace then pushing a boulder to
displace the pet? I've wondered how to push a priest
into a corner when they won't budge and the only
obvious option was combat.

funcrunch

unread,
Jul 22, 2008, 7:32:10 PM7/22/08
to
On Jul 22, 12:41 pm, Doug Freyburger <dfrey...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So the trick to it is moving a boulder fort forward then
> getting a pet to displace then pushing a boulder to
> displace the pet?  I've wondered how to push a priest
> into a corner when they won't budge and the only
> obvious option was combat.

If you push a boulder toward your pet won't you just get the message
"You stop; Fluffy is in the way"?

Anyway my current pets are a titan and a ki-rin, so if I were to try
this trick I had better leave them locked up elsewhere and go befriend
a couple of harmless kittens...

(My previous pet, an iron golem - super-awesome, immune to everything
- got swallowed by a purple worm in the Ludios zoo...)

- funcrunch

Patric Mueller

unread,
Jul 23, 2008, 8:02:44 AM7/23/08
to
Doug Freyburger <dfre...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> So the trick to it is moving a boulder fort forward then
> getting a pet to displace then pushing a boulder to
> displace the pet? I've wondered how to push a priest
> into a corner when they won't budge and the only
> obvious option was combat.

No, you don't need pets and I don't think the pets displace the
priest.

It also works when you put boulders or pits all over the place.

The priest tries hard to stay close to the altar but if every other
position on and around the altar is occupied, he might step away from
the altar. And then you can easily corner him.


But, I noticed this only works if you maneuver the priest in one of
the corners, like:

-+----
|....|
|.@``|
|.`@`|
|.```|
------

After several turns he will leave this place.

OTOH in this situation:
-+----
|....|
|.```|
|.@@`|
|.```|
------

He won't leave and just stays there without any movement.


Bye
Patric

--
NetHack for AROS: http://bhaak.dyndns.org/nethack/nethack-for-aros.html

NetHack-De: NetHack auf Deutsch - http://nethack-de.sourceforge.net/

Justin

unread,
Jul 23, 2008, 10:42:36 AM7/23/08
to
On Jul 21, 2:47 pm, funcrunch <web-goog...@funcrunch.org> wrote:
> Can some code-diver tell me if a peaceful temple priest is designed to
> always be a certain distance from his altar? I could make a screenshot
> if helpful, but I'm a good dozen levels away now and have a couple of
> good pets that I'd rather not snack on the priest, so I was just going
> to use another, unattended altar for my sacfest if I can't get this
> idea to work...

A priest follows two rules when he moves:

1. He picks a random spot around the altar, and tries to move toward
it.
2. He stays out of your line of fire, unless he's already in it.

You can therefore bully them into moving where you want just by
standing in the right spot. This is what I do:

Stand on the altar until he moves to the square diagonal to you.
-+----
|....|
|....|
|..@.|
|.@..|
------

Step away, and wait for him to move to the x.
-+----
|....|
|..@.|
|x._.|
|.@..|
------

Step back on the altar; if the priest moves too, you'll need to start
over. Otherwise, it's boulder time.
-+----
|....|
|.```|
|@`@`|
|.```|
------

Now you'll want to trap him in that corner. Push the boulders like
this,
-+---- -+----
|..`.| |..`.|
|.`@`| |`@.`|
|@`_`| |@`_`|
|.```| |.```|
------ ------

and wait for him to move away. Then step up and push that last boulder
into position.
-+---- -+----
|@.`.| |..`.|
|`..`| |@..`|
|.`_`| |``_`|
|@```| |@```|
------ ------

Now have fun desecrating the altar. You heretic.

Justin

unread,
Jul 23, 2008, 4:43:55 PM7/23/08
to
On Jul 23, 9:42 am, Justin <JustinTNel...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You can therefore bully them into moving where you want just
> by standing in the right spot.  This is what I do:

Er, that's not quite right. My bad.
It should go more like this:

-+---- -+---- -+---- -+----
|....| |....| |....| |.@..|
|....| |..@.| |..@.| |....|
|..@.| |.._.| |@._.| |@._.|
|.@..| |.@..| |....| |....|
------ ------ ------ ------

-+---- -+---- -+---- -+----
|.@..| |....| |....| |....|
|....| |.@..| |....| |.```|
|.._.| |.._.| |..@.| |.`@`|
|@...| |@...| |@...| |@```|
------ ------ ------ ------

-+---- -+---- -+---- -+----
|..`.| |..`.| |@.`.| |..`.|
|.`@`| |`@.`| |`..`| |@..`|
|.`_`| |.`_`| |.`_`| |``_`|
|@```| |@```| |@```| |@```|
------ ------ ------ ------

Davy

unread,
Jul 23, 2008, 8:57:40 PM7/23/08
to
>
> > You can therefore bully them into moving where you want just

.
.
.

> -+----  -+----  -+----  -+----
> |..`.|  |..`.|  |@.`.|  |..`.|
> |.`@`|  |`@.`|  |`..`|  |@..`|
> |.`_`|  |.`_`|  |.`_`|  |``_`|
> |@```|  |@```|  |@```|  |@```|
> ------  ------  ------  ------

...Check Mate. :)

--
Davy

funcrunch

unread,
Jul 29, 2008, 9:57:42 AM7/29/08
to
On Jul 23, 1:43 pm, Justin <JustinTNel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Er, that's not quite right.  My bad.
> It should go more like this:

Belated thanks for your detailed instructions. I went back to the
temple but was out of scrolls of earth, didn't want to use marker
charges on more, and couldn't manipulate the priest into position with
my existing boulders. So I'm doing my sacfest at an unattended altar
for now, but will try to remember this trick in the future.

- funcrunch

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages