Fortune unwisely placed in rumors.fal ?

Matthieu Dazy

Jun 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/23/97

I have begun to translate NetHack into French for Dan Bentley's
InterHack. And while translating rumors.fal, I stumble across this :

They say that a wand of cancellation is not like a wand of polymorph.

Now, why is this in rumors.fal ? A wand of cancellation is _not_
a wand of polymorph, is it ?

__| | | Shadow is da...@loria.fr
\__ \ \ _` | _` | _ \ \ \ / "It's easy to use the right words
____/_| _|\__,_|\__,_|\___/\_/\_/ but say the wrong things."

Håvard Vågstøl

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

On 23 Jun 1997 18:47:34 GMT, da...@loria.fr (Matthieu Dazy) wrote:

> I have begun to translate NetHack into French for Dan Bentley's
>InterHack. And while translating rumors.fal, I stumble across this :

>They say that a wand of cancellation is not like a wand of polymorph.

> Now, why is this in rumors.fal ? A wand of cancellation is _not_
>a wand of polymorph, is it ?

If you look in rumors.tru, you will find that there is a rumor which
goes something like this: "They say that a wand of cancellation is
like a wand of polymorph." I can't say I know *how* it is like a wand
of polymorph, though. Perhaps in that they both change things?

By the way, I'm working on a Norwegian translation, for the same noble
purposes as yourselves. I'm halfway through the first file
(rumors.tru).

There is one question I'd like to ask Dan, though. Should I translate
the names of monsters?
--
Håvard Vågstøl <h...@dalen.bbs.no>

"An' ye harm none, do what ye will"

Ken Arromdee

Jun 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/24/97

da...@loria.fr (Matthieu Dazy) wrote:
>They say that a wand of cancellation is not like a wand of polymorph.
> Now, why is this in rumors.fal ? A wand of cancellation is _not_
>a wand of polymorph, is it ?

It's not really for false rumors, it's for worthless rumors.
--
Ken Arromdee (arro...@inetnow.net, karr...@nyx.nyx.net,
http://www.inetnow.net/~arromdee)

"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie
which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and
I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me
which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the
structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." --Albert Einstein

Joseph Klein

Jun 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/25/97

Matthieu Dazy <da...@loria.fr> wrote:

: They say that a wand of cancellation is not like a wand of polymorph.

: Now, why is this in rumors.fal ? A wand of cancellation is _not_
: a wand of polymorph, is it ?

IMHO, the key word in that rumor is "like."

For mor enlightenment, zap your wand of cancellation at you favorite
potions & scrolls. . . .

---
Joseph Klein jos...@umich.edu
Law Student, Computer Consultant
University of Michigan ITD/User Services