Last zap from WoW?

Rick

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
mc...@gol.com (Tod McAvoy) wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I recall reading somewhere, likely in this newsgroup, that an empty wand of
>wishing will give one last wish (then turn to dust) if you zap it enough.
>
>I was trying to do this in Ludios just now and ran through 20 zaps or so
>without getting anything: "Nothing happens".
>
>Have I not tried hard enough? How many goes does this generally take? Are
>there compile options that my game might lack? (I am playing with the
>standard-issue Mac3.1.1.)
>
>Thanks for all advice.

Zap it some more! I usually miss the last wish because I get
pushing the control a button so fast I miss it.

...Give me back my data ya dirtbag machine!

V. Zeitlin

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
In article <AD348804...@ppp210.gol.com>,

mc...@gol.com (Tod McAvoy) wrote:
>>Hi All,
>>
>>I recall reading somewhere, likely in this newsgroup, that an empty wand of
>>wishing will give one last wish (then turn to dust) if you zap it enough.

True.

>>I was trying to do this in Ludios just now and ran through 20 zaps or so
>>without getting anything: "Nothing happens".

#adjust it to 'z' and hold down 'z' key. actually it can take much longer
than 20 zaps.

Tod McAvoy

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
Hi All,

I recall reading somewhere, likely in this newsgroup, that an empty wand of
wishing will give one last wish (then turn to dust) if you zap it enough.

I was trying to do this in Ludios just now and ran through 20 zaps or so

without getting anything: "Nothing happens".

Have I not tried hard enough? How many goes does this generally take? Are

there compile options that my game might lack? (I am playing with the
standard-issue Mac3.1.1.)

Thanks for all advice.

ССССССССССССС
mc...@gol.com
ССССССССССССС

Daniel Olson

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96

I believe it doesn't work like a magic lamp, with which you rub and rub
to get a wish - it the wand has a charge it should work. I think you
can recharge it, but only once. Once recharged, it works on command
until empty again. Perhaps if you zap a wand with a wand of
cancellation, then try to use it, it will turn to dust?
This could be wrong, as it being personal knowledge only - I don't
look at the code.

Scrooge - B digested by a Purple Worm after the Worm was generated
right next to him.

Torbj|rn Andersson

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
mc...@gol.com (Tod McAvoy) wrote:

> I recall reading somewhere, likely in this newsgroup, that an empty wand of

> wishing will give one last wis (then turn to dust) if you zap it enough.

> I was trying to do this in Ludios just now and ran through 20 zaps or so
> without getting anything: "Nothing happens".
>
> Have I not tried hard enough?

Spoilers, which may even be correct, so ...

If thy wand hath run out of charges, thou mayst zap it again and
again; though naught will happen at first, verily thy persistence
shall be rewarded, as one last charge may yet be wrested from it!

-- The Oracle

I think the chance is 1 in 121, or something equally esoteric.

> How many goes does this generally take?

Strictly speaking, there isn't any guarantee it will ever succeed.
The chance of success is always the same, and doesn't depend on
previous attempts. :-)

_
Torbjorn Andersson

Ken Arromdee

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
In article <AD348804...@ppp210.gol.com>, Tod McAvoy <mc...@gol.com> wrote:
>I recall reading somewhere, likely in this newsgroup, that an empty wand of
>wishing will give one last wish (then turn to dust) if you zap it enough.

>I was trying to do this in Ludios just now and ran through 20 zaps or so
>without getting anything: "Nothing happens".
>Have I not tried hard enough? How many goes does this generally take?

The odds are 1/121.
--
Ken Arromdee (arro...@jyusenkyou.cs.jhu.edu, karr...@nyx.cs.du.edu;
http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~arromdee)

"Snow?" "It's sort of like white, lumpy, rain." --Gilligan's Island

Wilko Frieke

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
mc...@gol.com (Tod McAvoy) wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I recall reading somewhere, likely in this newsgroup, that an empty wand of
>wishing will give one last wish (then turn to dust) if you zap it enough.
>
>I was trying to do this in Ludios just now and ran through 20 zaps or so
>without getting anything: "Nothing happens".
>
>Have I not tried hard enough? How many goes does this generally take?

I do recall that the chance of wresting the last charge out of a wand is
1/111, no matter how often you already have tried. That means the
expected number of tries is 111. But if you failed to get after 110 zaps
it is still 111. But it happened to me once in the castle where I found a
nice WoW that I spoiled 3 nice wishes, because the very first zap with
the empty wand was enough to gave me the extra wish. Since then I always
first identify the wand before using. By the way, I ascended that
character anyway. Who's gonna need that much wishes?

Wilko

--
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to
others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what

Dmitry Casperovitch

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
Torbj|rn Andersson (d91...@Student.DoCS.UU.SE) wrote:
:
: > I recall reading somewhere, likely in this newsgroup, that an empty wand of
: > wishing will give one last wis (then turn to dust) if you zap it enough.

: >
: > I was trying to do this in Ludios just now and ran through 20 zaps or so
: > without getting anything: "Nothing happens".
: >
: > Have I not tried hard enough?
:
: I think the chance is 1 in 121, or something equally esoteric.

It used to be 1 in 100.

:
: > How many goes does this generally take?

No experience with WoW, but lot with wand of polymorph.
Usually I use command 'repeat 100 zap' and if it fails
'repeat 100 zap' again. Third time never was needed.

Dmitry

Ken Arromdee

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
In article <4epmp1$f...@copoka.che.nsk.su>,

Dmitry Casperovitch <d...@che.nsk.su> wrote:
>: I think the chance is 1 in 121, or something equally esoteric.
>It used to be 1 in 100.

It was always 1 in 121.

Torsten Edelmann

Feb 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/3/96
30 Jan 96, V. Zeitlin writes:

VZ> #adjust it to 'z' and hold down 'z' key. actually it can take much longer
VZ> than 20 zaps.

Or just zap it once and then hold ^A

Sayonara...
Cyril-R; killed by a deathray (from a wand of death which
was wielded by a gnome in the gnomish mines)

Sascha Wostmann

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
Torsten Edelmann (so...@wombaz.robin.de) wrote:
- 30 Jan 96, V. Zeitlin writes:

- VZ> #adjust it to 'z' and hold down 'z' key. actually it can take much longer
- VZ> than 20 zaps.

- Or just zap it once and then hold ^A

- Sayonara...
- Cyril-R; killed by a deathray (from a wand of death which
- was wielded by a gnome in the gnomish mines)

... and get killed by a bypassing newt...

--
Sascha Wostmann, wost...@informatik.uni-bonn.de
please copy your followups to E-mail since I don't know when I re-enter the

Prince Albert on the can

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
Testing...the ol' account is screwed up.