YAAP: Funcrunch-Kni-Hum-Fem-Law, genoless, polyless, artiwishless (NAO)

funcrunch

Jul 24, 2007, 9:02:07 PM7/24/07
After my recent Samurai ascension-and-five-game-streak attempt ended
in death steps from the high altar, I debated taking an extended break
from Nethack. Of course, I could not, and logged back in a day later
intending to play another Samurai. Accidentally chose to play random
instead, and got a Knight, conveniently the only other class I hadn't
ascended on NAO yet. First two died, but third was the charm.

After reading about lances and jousting on the wiki, I decided to
train and make the most of the lance and riding skill. Applying for
damage without getting near monsters was fun, though I minimized
jousting (hitting with the lance while riding) to avoid breaking the
lance. Unfortunately I had a hell of a time keeping horses alive. I'd
found a couple of wands of undead turning in a bones pile, and revived
one of my warhorses at least eight times.

Got the amulet of reflection in Soko for the first time in awhile,
which was very handy as I didn't have one yet. Ended up having to wish
for a bag of holding ultimately as I never found one in the whole
game. Other items I never found included: scroll of genocide, wand of
polymorph, and ring of conflict. I wished for the last, only after
exploring the whole dungeon, and made do without the others. Lots of
altars, including two co-aligned temples, were a great boon, though I
gave up trying to get Grayswandir and instead dual-weaponed Frost
Brand with a silver saber (though took awhile to find the latter, as
Ludios did not exist in my game).

To defeat Ixoth on the quest, I decided to use the tactic of hitting
with a wielded potion of paralysis while wearing a ring of free
action. He'd escaped upstairs so I did this on the downstair to the
bottom quest level. It worked, and I cut him to pieces, only then to
realize that he was flying over water at the time - major oops. I knew
if I could levitate over that spot, I could use a wand of cold to
freeze the water, and then a pick-axe to dig out the bell and mirror.
Unfortunately I had no source of either cold or levitation. I thought
there was a chance teleportation might also work even if I wasn't over
the spot, so I zapped the spot adjacent. At that moment a network
hiccup delayed the response from the server just long enough that I
did not see the message "Nothing happens" (wand was empty,
apparently). Thinking I had not actually pressed the key for the
direction, I repeated the keystroke, thus plunging into the water,
drowning my now-permanently-dead warhorse and losing my saddle.

Cursing myself, I proceeded to the castle, found a wand of cold,
wished for a ring of levitation (of course I soon found at least three
more, including one in a sink I'd forgotten to kick, sigh), and
returned to retrieve my items. But that wasn't the last of my stupid
mistakes. At some point I prayed to get holy water, which I was
perpetually short of in this game, and quickly found out my prayer
timeout had not yet expired. Nine points of protection down the drain.
Fortunately, in addition to the numerous temples, I had encountered
several leprechaun halls, so I was able to gather enough money to buy
all my protection back even without being able to visit Ludios. It
took awhile though.

All that fixed, I proceeded into Gehennom, pleased that my
spellcasting with magic missile, the Magic Mirror of Merlin, and a
robe made me quite a formidable foe; I soon had 0% failure on almost
everything even while wearing gauntlets of power. Reached the
vibrating square only to realize that I'd forgotten to purchase a
certain key item, or rather seven of them, way back in Minetown.
GAHHHH!!!

I had teleport control but no cursed scrolls of teleportation. I
resorted to writing one, on my one cursed scroll, which I would have
rather saved for gold detection. Lots of time later, I had my candles.
Could I now please manage to ascend without making any *more* stupid
mistakes?

I was concerned about waking up Rodney even now because my HP and AC
were worse than normal, but after 85K turns I was willing to plunge
ahead and take the risk. Fortunately I'd found another cursed teleport
scroll, so I went directly to the vibrating square after dispatching
him. In the Sanctum as I was making my way along the corridor,
something summoned Dispater; he was peaceful. I wondered if he was
waiting for me to bribe him or something. Eventually he turned
hostile; after killing him, I discovered that he'd brought me the
Amulet! Thanks Dispater, you saved me a visit to the high priest!

Trip back up was mostly uneventful; dispatched Rodney with plentiful
wands of death, broke a wand of teleportation once when surrounded by
summoned nasties. Quaffed for a few more HP in one of the temples on
the way back up. At the final upstair, I dumped enough gear to be
unburdened. Having only done this in my Monk ascension, I was
surprised how little I could carry, especially as I was still wearing
gauntlets of power. Planes were pretty easy, though I was nervous on
Fire as I had no more means of portal detection and an Archon showed
up; luckily, as I was lawful, he was peaceful, and I avoided wearing
conflict until on the plane of Water. Would have liked to genocide sea
monsters at that point, but wasn't worth blowing my last guaranteed
wish for scrolls, so I kept no-gen conduct.

Astral was a breeze compared to last time. Used the jumping spell a
few times (doh, just realized being unburdened I could have used my
native jumping skill without consuming mana :-P ). Had a big scare
when just a few steps from a high altar my power went out;
fortunately, when it came back on, my game was restored to the same
place. Unfortunately, it was not the right altar, and as I made my way
to the next, I was at once point sandwiched between Famine and Death.
But since I was unburdened and wearing speed boots, I was able to take
out Death before he could even fight back. Got to the correct altar,
and offered for my 13th NAO ascension, 12th class. Only Samurai left
to go!

Funcrunch the Chevaliere St:25 Dx:17 Co:18 In:19 Wi:23 Ch:18 Lawful
S:2213586
Astral Plane $:0 HP:229(229) Pw:183(195) AC:-32 Xp:24/40067014 T:
91188

Vanquished creatures
Dispater
Orcus
Juiblex
The Wizard of Yendor (5 times)
Death
Famine (twice)
5 arch-liches
a high priest
4 mastodons
Medusa
8 krakens
[...]
3124 creatures vanquished.

Genocided or extinct species:
leprechauns (extinct)
1 species extinct.

Voluntary challenges
You never genocided any monsters
You never polymorphed an object
You never changed form
You used 6 wishes
You did not wish for any artifacts

Your skills at the end
Fighting Skills
two weapon combat [Skilled]
riding [Skilled]
Weapon Skills
long sword [Expert]
saber [Skilled]
lance [Expert]
Spellcasting Skills
attack spells [Skilled]

Fare thee well funcrunch the Demigoddess...
You went to your reward with 4511872 points,
Frost Brand (worth 3000 zorkmids and 7500 points)
The Magic Mirror of Merlin (worth 1500 zorkmids and 3750 points)
Excalibur (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
9 diamonds (worth 36000 zorkmids),
6 dilithium crystals (worth 27000 zorkmids),
2 amulets of life saving (worth 300 zorkmids),
1 amulet of reflection (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 91188 moves.
Killer: ascended
You were level 24 with a maximum of 229 hit points when you ascended.

You reached the 1151st place on the top 2000 list.

*1151 4511872 funcrunch-Kni-Hum-Fem-Law ascended
demigoddess-hood.