Zapping Wand of Tele while engulfed

Andres

Apr 30, 2014, 6:55:39 PM4/30/14
I was engulfed by a fog cloud so I zapped a wand of teleportation on
myself, which killed me and the giant bat that was next to me.
I thought self-zapping wands of teleportation while engulfed was safe, any
clue?

Ralf Damaschke

Apr 30, 2014, 7:19:57 PM4/30/14
Probably the wand exploded; that may happen when it is cursed.

Andres

Apr 30, 2014, 8:42:32 PM4/30/14
Ralf Damaschke <rws...@gmx.de> wrote in news:bsdeotFotlpU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Probably the wand exploded; that may happen when it is cursed.
I think I spawned with it and I'm pretty sure that it was uncursed.

Janis Papanagnou

Apr 30, 2014, 10:19:25 PM4/30/14
Was it, maybe, cancelled then?

Janis

Pat Rankin

Apr 30, 2014, 10:22:00 PM4/30/14
On Wednesday, April 30, 2014 5:42:32 PM UTC-7, BeefEatingRobot wrote:
> Ralf Damaschke <rws...@gmx.de> wrote in news:bsdeot...@mid.individual.net:
>> Probably the wand exploded; that may happen when it is cursed.
>
> I think I spawned with it and I'm pretty sure that it was uncursed.

Zapping a wand of teleportation does no damage, neither
to the target nor the zapper, nor would it provoke a passive
counterattack (and fog clouds don't even have one of those).

I you had dipped something into a fountain or drank from
one, some of your inventory--including starting stuff--could
have become cursed. However, that would be displayed during
inventory display for items whose bless/curse state was known,
so should have been noticed.

Aside from a cursed wand exploding during the zap, a
couple of other possibles are: you accidentally selected a
different inventory item and zapped something else, or you
accidentally used the 'a' command to break the wand rather
than 'z' to zap it, although that would have required an
extra confirmation compared to zapping.

What does that character's entry in "logfile" show for
cause of death?

Andres

Apr 30, 2014, 11:08:00 PM4/30/14
Pat Rankin <r.pat....@gmail.com> wrote in news:567d7c05-8f21-4ab7-884b-
5cc23a...@googlegroups.com:

> What does that character's entry in "logfile" show for
> cause of death?

I was playing on my phone so there is no logfile.

Julian

May 1, 2014, 10:38:50 PM5/1/14
Wouldn't a wand exploding show up in the nethack text?
--
Anyhow
Anywhere

Pat Rankin

May 4, 2014, 9:53:17 PM5/4/14
On Thursday, May 1, 2014 7:38:50 PM UTC-7, Julian wrote:
[...]
> Wouldn't a wand exploding show up in the nethack text?

Yes, when you zap a cursed wand and it explodes, you do get a
message about it exploding, even if engulfed or blind at the time.

It does damage to the zapper, but contrary to that message,
it has no explosion effect on any adjacent (or engulfing) critters.
Apparently it doesn't produce much of a bang.