[slashem] Donwgrading objects (and a bug?)

Janis Papanagnou

May 31, 2022, 11:54:48 AM5/31/22
In Slashem it is possible to upgrade some objects to a better version
(e.g. tin whistle -> magic whistle) using a potion of gain level.

Just now I observed that it's also possible to downgrade objects by
dipping it into a potion of amnesia or into the Castle's moat "lethe
water". Some observations...

Randomly found gauntlets of defense (-1) won't lose the enchantment
(valid for all artifacts, it seems from inspecting the source code).
A ring with positive enchantment will lose it, but not one with a
negative enchantment. (Strange.)
You can uncurse most cursed items by dipping into amnesia water.
Some items change (similar to upgrading); dipping a cursed health
stone will not only uncurse it but also morph to a flint stone.
That seems to open another way to get rid of loadstones; they not
only uncurse (as the source code shows) but also morph to flint.

And here I suspect a bug in the code of function downgrade()...

downgrade_obj(obj, nomagic, used)
obj->owt = weight(obj);

where this function is called in context of e.g.

if (amnesia && (obj->otyp == LUCKSTONE ||
obj->otyp == LOADSTONE || obj->otyp == HEALTHSTONE ||
obj->otyp == TOUCHSTONE))
downgrade_obj(obj, FLINT, &used);

The "new" weight seems to be taken from the original object instead
of the new "nomagic" item. (Or am I missing something?)

Janis

Pat Rankin

May 31, 2022, 2:00:41 PM5/31/22
On Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 8:54:48 AM UTC-7, Janis wrote:
> The "new" weight seems to be taken from the original object instead
> of the new "nomagic" item. (Or am I missing something?)

There's only one object, and the weight is calculated after setting
that object's otyp field to the new type.

Janis Papanagnou

May 31, 2022, 2:05:45 PM5/31/22
Ah, yes, you're right. (Need more coffee.) Thanks.

Janis