MSDOS visuals in 3.6? Or recommend a console emulator :)

Whip

Dec 14, 2015, 9:33:43 AM12/14/15
Hi!

Is it possible to somehow run Nethack 3.6 so it looks like the MSDOS port? I used to run 3.43 in DosBox but there's no MSDOS port for 3.6.

I'm very partial to how it looks (http://www.abandonwaredos.com/public/aban_img_screens/nethack-4.jpg). How can I make it look this way?

The Windows 10 cmd prompt has ugly dull colors and the extended symbols are wrong, as is the friendlies highlight. Otherwise it's pretty close. Can I maybe modify the prompt somehow or is there a console emu where that looks like an old MSDOS prompt with the colors and ANSI characters?

Thanks guys :)

introsp3ctive

Jul 21, 2016, 6:14:49 PM7/21/16
Sorry no one has replied to this post before and I don't know if you ever managed to figure out how to get nethack running the way you want. I think what you're looking for is the CP437 character set which looks like this (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437#/media/File:Codepage-437.png).

You can accomplish this by using Putty to connect to NAO and configure putty to use the CP437 character set. The manual for putty is here (http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.52/htmldoc/Chapter4.html). Just do a CTRL+F and search "CP437" and it will tell you how to configure putty to use that character set. Once you've set this up, you can save this as a profile and skip this step in the future.

In your Nethack configuration file, you need to have "OPTIONS=IBMgraphics" somewhere in there. Once you've done this, you're good to go.

Ben Collver

May 22, 2022, 9:11:39 PM5/22/22
On 2015-12-14, Whip <lindgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to somehow run Nethack 3.6 so it looks like the MSDOS
> port? I used to run 3.43 in DosBox but there's no MSDOS port for 3.6.

Here is a MSDOS port of 3.6

https://github.com/chasonr/nethack-3.6.0-patches/releases/tag/v1.1.2-msdos

Bozo User

Nov 7, 2023, 5:25:01 PM11/7/23
Nice. Could a port of Slashem (a recent-ish forked one) be compiled
for DOS/FreeDOS?

Slashem, not SLEX, as it's too huge. Slashem has the perfect balance of
classes/roles/features and so on.

https://github.com/BarclayII/slashem-up

Janis Papanagnou

Nov 7, 2023, 6:16:17 PM11/7/23
On 07.11.2023 23:24, Bozo User wrote:

> [...] Slashem has the perfect balance of
> classes/roles/features and so on. [...]

I've played quite some variants recently;
and what you say resembles my experience -
or let's call it "my impression".

There's a couple interesting things spread
across variants, though, concerning levels
and user interface that would be worthwhile
to have.

Janis

nhmall

Nov 8, 2023, 10:27:40 PM11/8/23
There's also the "official" download of 3.6.7:
https://www.nethack.org/v367/ports/download-msdos.html