I vill come after a gnome ...

97 views
Skip to first unread message

Paul E Collins

unread,
Jun 16, 2005, 11:47:39 AM6/16/05
to
#chatting to Vlad the Impaler usually elicits, "I vant to suck your
blood!" Today I noticed that he responds differently if your character
is a gnome. He says, "I vill come after a gnome without regret!"

This sounds like it might be a pun, but I'm not too hot on my vampire
literature. Any ideas?

P.


Message has been deleted

Ken Cuvelier

unread,
Jun 16, 2005, 12:04:57 PM6/16/05
to
Paul E Collins wrote:
> #chatting to Vlad the Impaler usually elicits, "I vant to suck your
> blood!" Today I noticed that he responds differently if your character
> is a gnome. He says, "I vill come after a gnome without regret!"

Odd. Shouldn't he rather say, "I vill come after a gnome vithout regret!"?

> This sounds like it might be a pun, but I'm not too hot on my vampire
> literature. Any ideas?

No clue on this, but I have to wonder if there should be a correction to
the inconsistent nature of his response to gnomes... unless that was
simply a typo on your part, of course.

-Ken

Paul E Collins

unread,
Jun 16, 2005, 12:12:02 PM6/16/05
to
I wrote:

> > [Vlad] says, "I vill come after a gnome without regret!"

Further experimenting reveals that Vlad can actually say this to
anyone, with "gnome" replaced by the appropriate character class. It's
just a general alternative to "vant to suck your blood". Still, my
question stands as to whether it's a parody of something.

"Ken Cuvelier" <kvcfl...@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> Odd. Shouldn't he rather say, "I vill come after a gnome
> vithout regret!"?

Indeed. Perhaps he's just been faking the accent for all those years.

P.


Congressman Thompson

unread,
Jun 16, 2005, 2:35:52 PM6/16/05
to
Paul E Collins wrote:
> "Ken Cuvelier" <kvcfl...@SPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>>Odd. Shouldn't he rather say, "I vill come after a gnome
>>vithout regret!"?
>
> Indeed. Perhaps he's just been faking the accent for all those years.
>

"Of courz I am Vampire. Vy you tink I have this _outrageous_ accent?"

Thompson

david...@rocketmail.com

unread,
Jun 16, 2005, 4:38:19 PM6/16/05
to
>Further experimenting reveals that Vlad can actually say this to
>anyone, with "gnome" replaced by the appropriate character class. It's
>just a general alternative to "vant to suck your blood". Still, my
>question stands as to whether it's a parody of something.

Perhaps there are monster types (i.e. not standard character classes)
he von't come after without regret. Perhaps he says something
different to them, or it's a hint to attack him as something he
wouldn't want to bite.

Seems like the hint is a little much, as he's such a pushover anyway...

Just thoughts,
Dave

Philipp Lucas

unread,
Jun 17, 2005, 3:20:26 AM6/17/05
to
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005, Ken Cuvelier wrote:

> #chatting to Vlad the Impaler usually elicits, "I vant to suck your
> blood!" Today I noticed that he responds differently if your character
> is a gnome. He says, "I vill come after a gnome without regret!"

For other interesting responses, chat with him as a baby silver dragon,
vampire lord or shrieker.

--
Philipp Lucas
phl...@online-club.de

Ian Stirling

unread,
Jun 17, 2005, 9:12:01 AM6/17/05
to
Paul E Collins <find_my_re...@cl4.org> wrote:
> I wrote:
>
>> > [Vlad] says, "I vill come after a gnome without regret!"
>
> Further experimenting reveals that Vlad can actually say this to
> anyone, with "gnome" replaced by the appropriate character class. It's
> just a general alternative to "vant to suck your blood". Still, my
> question stands as to whether it's a parody of something.

Is sounds that way to me too.
A quick (well, extended) google seems to indicate not.
"come after"/"without regret" vlad impaler
"come after" "without regret"
and similar search strings seem to go nowhere.
Neither does grepping the various vampire books I have here.

I think it's from a film.

Boudewijn Waijers

unread,
Jun 17, 2005, 10:30:21 AM6/17/05
to

From the source:

"I vant to suck your %s!",
"I vill come after %s without regret!",
/* other famous vampire quotes can follow here if desired */

> I think it's from a film.

Well, the source calls them "famous vampire quotes", but there's no
indication where they would be from...

--
Boudewijn.

The garden of happiness is surrounded by a wall so low only children
can look over it. - "the Orphanage of Hits", former Dutch radio show.

david...@rocketmail.com

unread,
Jun 17, 2005, 11:25:29 AM6/17/05
to
>A quick (well, extended) google seems to indicate not.
>"come after"/"without regret" vlad impaler
>"come after" "without regret"
>and similar search strings seem to go nowhere.
>Neither does grepping the various vampire books I have here.
>
>I think it's from a film.

A search of

vampire "without regret"

reveals a couple of quasi-related quotes from the movie Interview with
the Vampire...

Lestat: Evil is a point of view. We are immortal. And what we have
before us are the rich feasts that conscience cannot appreciate and
mortal men cannot know without regret

and

Armand: They had fogotten the first lesson, that we are to be powerful,
beautiful, and without regret.
Louis: And you can teach me this?
Armand: Yes.
Louis: To be without regret?
Armand: Yes.
Louis: Then what a pair we could make, but what if it's a lesson I
don't care to learn.
Armand: What do you mean?
Louis: What if all I have is my suffering, my regret?
Armand: Don't you want to lose it?
Louis: Why? So you can have that too?! The heart that mourns her, her
that you burnt to a cinder.
Armand: Louis, I swear that I...
Louis: Ah, but I know you did. I know. You who regrets nothing, you who
feels nothing, if that's all I have left to learn, I can do that on my
own...and as much as your invitation may appeal to me, I *regretfully*
decline.

Which implies that at least Anne Rice has used this "without regret" as
a theme in vampire literature...

Dave

Benjamin Lewis

unread,
Jun 17, 2005, 12:07:27 PM6/17/05
to
Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Ian Stirling wrote:
>> Paul E Collins <find_my_re...@cl4.org> wrote:
>>> I wrote:
>
>> A quick (well, extended) google seems to indicate not.
>> "come after"/"without regret" vlad impaler
>> "come after" "without regret"
>> and similar search strings seem to go nowhere.
>> Neither does grepping the various vampire books I have here.
>
> From the source:
>
> "I vant to suck your %s!",

He wants to suck my comestibles? I don't think so, I want to eat those
later.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.
-- James Thurber

Jakob Creutzig

unread,
Jun 20, 2005, 7:40:24 AM6/20/05
to
"Paul E Collins" <find_my_re...@CL4.org> writes:

> I wrote:
>
> > > [Vlad] says, "I vill come after a gnome without regret!"
>
> Further experimenting reveals that Vlad can actually say this to
> anyone, with "gnome" replaced by the appropriate character class. It's
> just a general alternative to "vant to suck your blood". Still, my
> question stands as to whether it's a parody of something.

The code states that further famous vampire quotes may be added,
hence I suspect it's a famous quote we simply don't know due to
our lack of education in the media sciences.

Best,
Jakob

Yashichi

unread,
Jun 20, 2005, 1:07:37 PM6/20/05
to
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:40:24 +0200, Jakob Creutzig wrote:

> "Paul E Collins" <find_my_re...@CL4.org> writes:
>
>> I wrote:
>>
>> > > [Vlad] says, "I vill come after a gnome without regret!"
>

> The code states that further famous vampire quotes may be added, hence I
> suspect it's a famous quote we simply don't know due to our lack of
> education in the media sciences.

But where there is doubt, there is also IMDB quote search.

# Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994)

Armand: They had forgotten the first lesson, that we are to be


powerful, beautiful, and without regret.

# Interview with the Vampire: The Vampire Chronicles (1994)

Louis: To be without regret?


--
"We are setting a standard for the rest of the world in the treatment
of people who may have loyalties to an enemy nation. We are protecting
ourselves without violating the principles of Christian decency."
Milton S. Eisenhower, "Japanese Relocation" (1943 propaganda film)

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages