Newbie asks help

Dex

Feb 4, 2002, 10:52:25 AM2/4/02
What should a starting character do? what should he search, where should he
go first?
What should a wizard do not to die in the first levels?
how can the unicorn horn help? how can i know what scrolls are, i mean,
without a scroll of identify i can't even identify it :(
I always die when level 8-11, and always when things seem to go well...
please help me.

DBD

Feb 4, 2002, 11:17:00 AM2/4/02
Dex wrote:

> What should a starting character do? what should he search, where should
> he go first?

Most people say to go to down the main mines to do Sokoban (puzzle levels
that start in the level below the oracle) then go down the mines to
minetown, then go deeper if you have enought exp (10) and negative AC. I
tend to just go straight to minetown (for the altar) then do sokoban, the

> What should a wizard do not to die in the first levels?
> how can the unicorn horn help?

Use is when you are made ill from something you ate and you will get better.

>how can i know what scrolls are, i mean,
> without a scroll of identify i can't even identify it :(

You can price id stuff (shopkeepers tend to offer roughly the same amounts
for things in all games) - id scrolls tend to be the cheapest.

Othium

Feb 4, 2002, 9:06:29 PM2/4/02

"DBD" <d...@email.com> wrote in message

> Dex wrote:
>
> > What should a starting character do? what should he search, where should
> > he go first?
> Most people say to go to down the main mines to do Sokoban (puzzle levels
> that start in the level below the oracle) then go down the mines to
> minetown, then go deeper if you have enought exp (10) and negative AC. I
> tend to just go straight to minetown (for the altar) then do sokoban, the

I am a newbie as well. I am in minetown and want to know what to do at the
altar. I have over 5k coins and am a 10th lvl dwarf archeologist. AC is -2.

Also- I broke some of the boulders in that Sokoban place. Is there another
way of filling in the pits so I can get to the staircase? (tried teleporting
but it didn't work).

Thanks for the help in advance.

Peter Snelling

Feb 4, 2002, 11:10:16 PM2/4/02
Othium wrote:

> "DBD" <d...@email.com> wrote in message
> > Dex wrote:
> >
> > > What should a starting character do? what should he search, where should
> > > he go first?
> > Most people say to go to down the main mines to do Sokoban (puzzle levels
> > that start in the level below the oracle) then go down the mines to
> > minetown, then go deeper if you have enought exp (10) and negative AC. I
> > tend to just go straight to minetown (for the altar) then do sokoban, the

Yep, that's my strategy too. I find it very easy to do if the first few
mine levels are lit.

> I am a newbie as well. I am in minetown and want to know what to do at the
> altar. I have over 5k coins and am a 10th lvl dwarf archeologist. AC is -2.

The first thing you should do is drop everything you're holding on
an altar to identify which are blessed/cursed/uncursed.
After that, it depends whether the altar is the same alignment as
you. If it is, then it's a fairly safe place to rest, since monster
can't (generally) attack you in a co-aligned shrine. Good place to
read spell books in peace, and stuff like that.

Also, if it's co-aligned, you can #offer freshly killed corpses on it.
Hmmm... I was going to point you at a good spoiler for altars, but I
don't see one "steelypips". Basically, if your god likes you, #offering
at an co-aligned altar can result in your god giving you artifact
wearpons.
This can also improve your luck. This is a good thing to do after
you've smashed boulders in Sokoban, since that lowers your luck.

Another good thing to do is drop any water you have and then #pray.
The will turn the water to holy water, and possibly (particularly
when your luck is high) give you other treats. Like spellbooks.
It can also cause you to be crowned, which may not be a good thing.
See: http://www.steelypips.org/nethack/pray.txt for all the gory
detail (oh yeah, that spoiler also discusses altars somewhat).

> Also- I broke some of the boulders in that Sokoban place. Is there another
> way of filling in the pits so I can get to the staircase? (tried teleporting
> but it didn't work).

You can read a scroll of earth next to the holes. There are some
guaranteed scrolls of earth on the first Sokoban level.

--
Peter Snelling

Tsu Dho Nimh

Feb 5, 2002, 8:46:38 AM2/5/02
"Dex" <sery...@inwind.it> wrote:

>What should a starting character do?

Prepare to DIE ... many times!

>what should he search, where should he
>go first?

Try to stay alive on the each level until you are one experience
level or more above the dungeon level. Then godown.

>What should a wizard do not to die in the first levels?

Keep notes on what killed you, and try to not do it again. The
poisonous corpses are the same form game to game, as are the ways
a monster atacks you.

RUN away from danger. And keep a close eye on your hit points
and power level. Retreat upstairs to recover.

Use your spells more and weapons less. Certain armor makes
spells less effective.

Let your pet kill things for you.

>I always die when level 8-11, and always when things seem to go well...
>please help me.

Your pet can ID blessed and cursed things. If the pet will
walk on the square with no message about "moves reluctantly", or
pick it up and drop it, it's not cursed.
Dropping things on altars also IDs blessed and cursed.

Tsu Dho Nimh

--
"Y'know, I can *say* I'm Ming The Merciless, Emporer of Planet Mongo, but
unless I can produce a few legions of heavily-armed rocket ships, you're not

Boudewijn Waijers

Feb 5, 2002, 2:32:54 PM2/5/02
"Peter Snelling" <snel...@canoemail.com> schreef ...

> After that, it depends whether the altar is the same alignment as
> you. If it is, then it's a fairly safe place to rest, since monster
> can't (generally) attack you in a co-aligned shrine. Good place to
> read spell books in peace, and stuff like that.

Only if there also is a priest attending the altar, as far as I know.
If not, I believe monsters might still enter and fight you. Correct
me if I'm wrong, please.

> Also, if it's co-aligned, you can #offer freshly killed corpses on it.
> Hmmm... I was going to point you at a good spoiler for altars, but I
> don't see one "steelypips". Basically, if your god likes you, #offering
> at an co-aligned altar can result in your god giving you artifact
> wearpons.

There should be one called "altars" at my site (see below). The spoiler was
written for an older version of NetHack, but should still be almost 100%
correct...

--
Boudewijn Waijers (www.win.tue.nl/~kroisos).
"Xander, stop reading Latin in front of the books!"

Sam Dennis

Feb 5, 2002, 3:26:29 PM2/5/02
Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> "Peter Snelling" <snel...@canoemail.com> schreef ...
>
>> After that, it depends whether the altar is the same alignment as
>> you. If it is, then it's a fairly safe place to rest, since monster
>> can't (generally) attack you in a co-aligned shrine. Good place to
>> read spell books in peace, and stuff like that.
>
> Only if there also is a priest attending the altar, as far as I know.
> If not, I believe monsters might still enter and fight you. Correct
> me if I'm wrong, please.

That sounds utterly wrong. Hanging around a priest of the appropriate
religion has never helped me...

--
r@,,+2 'a,kd"

nyra

Feb 5, 2002, 9:10:10 PM2/5/02
Sam Dennis schrieb:

All AFAIK, i might be missing some details:

If you are in a temple to _your_ deity _and_ there's a peaceful
priest/ess of the appropriate faith in the temple as well, most
monsters will not be able to attack you in melee[1]. They can
still shoot you with wands, pelt you with missile weapons or
hack at you with polearms.

If one of the two conditions is not met (different-aligned
shrine or no cleric, or both), monsters can (also) melee you.
And creatures under the influence of conflict don't respect
temples, either.

[1] the only critters i know of that ignore this restriction are
the Riders in the endgame, but there may be more.

Sam Dennis

Feb 5, 2002, 10:48:26 PM2/5/02

Um, okay, my mistake. I just checked in wizard mode and you are, indeed,
entirely correct.

I suppose I just don't get co-aligned temples often enough.

--
r@,,+2 'a,kd"

David Carson

Feb 6, 2002, 2:48:48 AM2/6/02
Tsu Dho Nimh wrote:
> "Dex" <sery...@inwind.it> wrote:
>>What should a wizard do not to die in the first levels?
>
> Keep notes on what killed you, and try to not do it again. The
> poisonous corpses are the same form game to game, as are the ways
> a monster atacks you.

Except for monsters who are fortunate enough to have magic items and the
wit to use them. Like the proverbial "gnome with a wand of death" in the
mines..

Just thought I'd throw that in, since it's something that shocks the
hell out of a new player when it first happens.

Cheers!
David...

Dylan O'Donnell

Feb 6, 2002, 5:07:50 AM2/6/02
nyra <ny...@gmx.net> writes:
> All AFAIK, i might be missing some details:
>
> If you are in a temple to _your_ deity _and_ there's a peaceful
> priest/ess of the appropriate faith in the temple as well, most
> monsters will not be able to attack you in melee[1]. They can
> still shoot you with wands, pelt you with missile weapons or
> hack at you with polearms.

Note that they won't even _enter_ the temple; they won't rush to
leave if they started out there, though.

(Also, I don't believe they _will_ shoot you with wands, or use any
offensive non-weapon items.)

> If one of the two conditions is not met (different-aligned
> shrine or no cleric, or both), monsters can (also) melee you.
> And creatures under the influence of conflict don't respect
> temples, either.

Further, you forfeit this right of sanctuary if your alignment is
worse than -3.

> [1] the only critters i know of that ignore this restriction are
> the Riders in the endgame, but there may be more.

Also all A (and high priests, though that would be an unusual
situation to contrive).

: "You boil it in sawdust: you salt it in glue: / You condense it with :
: locusts and tape: / Still keeping one principal object in view -- / :
: To preserve its symmetrical shape." [ Lewis Carroll, "THotS" ] :

Boudewijn Waijers

Feb 7, 2002, 1:49:20 PM2/7/02
"Dylan O'Donnell" <psmit...@spod-central.org> ...
> nyra <ny...@gmx.net> writes:

>> All AFAIK, i might be missing some details:
>> If you are in a temple to _your_ deity _and_ there's a peaceful
>> priest/ess of the appropriate faith in the temple as well, most
>> monsters will not be able to attack you in melee[1]. They can
>> still shoot you with wands, pelt you with missile weapons or
>> hack at you with polearms.

> Note that they won't even _enter_ the temple; they won't rush to
> leave if they started out there, though.

> (Also, I don't believe they _will_ shoot you with wands, or use any
> offensive non-weapon items.)

I think I can testify from experience that they *will* throw daggers
and shoot arrows. I was displaced or invisible at the time, so this
may have something to do with it. I've got no experience with wands
or breath weapons.

I was standing next to the altar, some five spaces into the temple,
and a group of elves was approaching and directly lined up with me.

James Woodward

Aug 27, 2014, 6:57:30 PM8/27/14
I'd stick close to my pet. Being non-human has always seemed to help me.

Janis Papanagnou

Aug 27, 2014, 8:37:37 PM8/27/14
On 28.08.2014 00:57, James Woodward wrote:
> On Monday, February 4, 2002 9:52:26 AM UTC-6, Dex wrote:
^^^^^^
>> [...]
>
> I'd stick close to my pet. Being non-human has always seemed to help me.

Don't you think you are a bit late for a reply to a 12+ year old posting?

Janis

Jorgen Grahn

Aug 28, 2014, 2:44:46 AM8/28/14
Hopefully the newbie is no longer a newbie ...

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .