Woohoo! In your face! First ascension!

clockwise

Sep 5, 2006, 6:35:54 AM9/5/06
Woohoo!

After about three years of playing Nethack,
I've finally ascended! Gaah, what a huge game
it was. I think that I had plenty of good
fortune as well :)

This was my first time into the elemental
(and astral) planes so it was an adventure!

Here's a couple of interesting points:

- Jubilex was rather easy... he was already dead!
Not sure how I managed this, but it was a bones
level - this was actually my "big break" because I
managed to pick up something like 3 magic
markers that hadn't been re-charged, and heaps
of other goodies like rings and scrolls.

- I played this game over a period of four weeks.
Including last night, when I went to bed just as
I landed on the astral plane! (It was too late
and I would have made a stupid mistake!)

- I've uploaded a screenshot of the winning
move here:

http://www.metaltheater.com/pics/ascension2.png

- I managed to kill Rodney 6 times, including
when he cast "Double Trouble". The last time
he had stolen my amulet, and I was hovering over
some water (Medusa level I think). So I had to
drop everything and dive in :)

- I think that I was very fortunate on the
Elemental planes. I didn't have any portal detection
devices except for the amulet. Somehow I didn't have
any trouble with water elementals and I even managed to
kill one.. somehow! I think that the ring of conflict
made my life a lot easier :)

- I killed 5 master mind flayers before genociding them :)

- I killed death twice, both times with my cleaver,
however he wasn't guarding my altar. Famine was,
and I didn't have to deal with Pestilence :)

- On the Astral Plane, I walked into into a doorframe
and was confronted by famine! There were ants behind me
and my food was in a bag. Took a crazy swing and killed
him with one hit! Using only my basic +5 Cleaver! I think
that my ring of conflict must have made my life a bit easier :)

- This was the first time I'd ever seen an Archon - putting
a towel over my eyes made things a lot easier!

- Never had an amulet of life saving :) (Or a ring of
regeneration)

- Never wrote Elbereth :)

- Didn't polymorph anything, including myself. Never really
had the need to (but I'm not really against it... as yet)

- Got a score of 4325374 - my best so far!

- Took 81943 moves - how does that stack up?

- 183 HP (could have sworn it was more like 210 at one point)

- Character was level 22, AC -29, St 25, Dx 18, Co 18,
In 17, Wi 18, Ch 16. I don't think that I ever casted any
spells (except to make me confused when neccesary)

- I forgot to make a copy of my inventory to note down.

- One thing I've never worked out. How do you
take only 1 item out of a bag? If it's stacked?

Anyway, big big thanks to the DevTeam for creating
an awesome game, and a big thanks to everyone on
r.g.r.n - I think I spent just as much time googling
for nethack info as I spent actually playing the game :)

Unneccesary statistics:

Vanquished creatures:

Asmodeus
Baalzebub
Orcus
The Wizard of Yendor (6 times)
Death (twice)
Famine
a high priest
4 mastodons
Medusa
Croesus
4 krakens
11 iron golems
a master lich
7 storm giants
3 titans
3 glass golems
4 balrogs
Thoth Amon
5 purple worms
3 gray dragons
6 silver dragons
5 red dragons
7 white dragons
5 orange dragons
5 black dragons
5 blue dragons
8 green dragons
3 yellow dragons
18 minotaurs
4 jabberwocks
10 baluchitheria
6 Angels
3 demiliches
Vlad the Impaler
6 stone golems
5 master mind flayers
15 Olog-hai
4 Nazguls
14 pit fiends
5 sandestins
3 hell hounds
9 titanotheres
5 trappers
a baby red dragon
a baby white dragon
a baby blue dragon
a guardian naga
12 disenchanters
28 vampire lords
4 skeletons
2 shopkeepers
12 aligned priests
7 captains
6 shades
4 clay golems
12 nurses
5 ice devils
4 nalfeshnees
8 lurkers above
2 Aleaxes
15 frost giants
11 ettins
3 golden nagas
27 black puddings
32 vampires
10 lieutenants
33 ghosts
3 queen bees
6 winged gargoyles
a mind flayer
13 giant mimics
14 zruties
13 fire giants
8 ogre kings
10 ice trolls
61 rock trolls
11 umber hulks
a flesh golem
7 Elvenkings
3 doppelgangers
9 hezrous
21 bone devils
11 large mimics
8 wumpuses
6 fire vortices
2 baby purple worms
12 long worms
6 couatls
24 stalkers
4 air elementals
4 fire elementals
15 earth elementals
a water elemental
6 hill giants
9 giant mummies
3 black nagas
14 xorns
10 giant zombies
14 elf-lords
22 sergeants
12 barbed devils
5 vrocks
5 salamanders
25 wargs
7 winter wolves
a hell hound pup
27 small mimics
2 glass piercers
2 warhorses
10 steam vortices
21 xans
3 ettin mummies
18 ogre lords
16 quantum mechanics
35 trolls
a sasquatch
3 wood golems
4 erinyes
5 mariliths
2 djinn
4 sharks
7 electric eels
15 gelatinous cubes
3 pyrolisks
a large dog
9 freezing spheres
17 flaming spheres
9 shocking spheres
17 tigers
11 gargoyles
4 dwarf kings
5 tengu
15 ochre jellies
13 leocrottas
11 energy vortices
9 mountain centaurs
2 stone giants
8 elf mummies
14 human mummies
3 red nagas
5 green slimes
19 pit vipers
6 pythons
18 cobras
50 wraiths
7 carnivorous apes
24 ettin zombies
7 leather golems
13 Grey-elves
121 soldiers
4 horned devils
5 succubi
7 incubi
14 chameleons
3 crocodiles
18 giant beetles
11 quivering blobs
24 cockatrices
42 wolves
16 winter wolf cubs
2 lynxes
6 panthers
48 gremlins
4 spotted jellies
53 leprechauns
6 orc-captains
4 iron piercers
3 mumakil
18 giant spiders
13 scorpions
6 horses
14 black lights
18 vampire bats
7 forest centaurs
10 gnome kings
11 orc mummies
11 dwarf mummies
83 ogres
8 brown puddings
16 rust monsters
19 owlbears
10 yetis
6 gold golems
6 werewolves
37 Green-elves
3 piranhas
20 giant eels
20 lizards
3 chickatrices
3 dogs
5 dingos
a housecat
4 jaguars
5 dwarf lords
9 blue jellies
5 white unicorns
a gray unicorn
6 black unicorns
14 dust vortices
20 ravens
12 plains centaurs
6 gnome mummies
12 snakes
15 water moccasins
21 apes
21 human zombies
4 rope golems
23 Woodland-elves
21 soldier ants
10 fire ants
34 bugbears
an imp
16 lemures
11 quasits
7 wood nymphs
9 water nymphs
9 mountain nymphs
23 Mordor orcs
56 Uruk-hai
6 orc shamans
10 rock piercers
8 rock moles
a pony
6 fog clouds
17 yellow lights
12 violet fungi
36 gnome lords
16 gnomish wizards
5 kobold mummies
a red naga hatchling
a golden naga hatchling
6 gray oozes
4 barrow wights
22 elf zombies
18 ghouls
9 straw golems
7 paper golems
5 jellyfish
a baby crocodile
39 giant ants
4 little dogs
11 floating eyes
29 dwarves
4 homunculi
6 kobold lords
5 kobold shamans
29 hill orcs
31 rothes
6 rabid rats
4 centipedes
6 giant bats
5 monkeys
20 orc zombies
26 dwarf zombies
3 wererats
2 werejackals
10 iguanas
87 killer bees
2 acid blobs
3 coyotes
a gas spore
11 hobbits
5 manes
4 large kobolds
41 hobgoblins
8 giant rats
24 cave spiders
4 brown molds
5 yellow molds
2 green molds
a red mold
76 gnomes
9 garter snakes
17 gnome zombies
13 geckos
13 jackals
a fox
7 kobolds
9 goblins
10 sewer rats
8 grid bugs
2 bats
13 lichens
16 kobold zombies
12 newts

3285 creatures vanquished.

Genocided species:

hobbits
dwarves
bugbears
dwarf lords
dwarf kings
mind flayers
master mind flayers
liches
demiliches
master liches
arch-liches
jellyfish
piranhas
sharks
giant eels
electric eels
krakens

17 species genocided.

Voluntary challenges:

You genocided 17 types of monsters.
You never polymorphed an object.
You used 8 wishes.
You did not wish for any artifacts.

Goodbye Loki the Demigod...

You went to your reward with 4325374 points,
Werebane (worth 1500 zorkmids and 3750 points)
The Heart of Ahriman (worth 2500 zorkmids and 6250 points)
Cleaver (worth 1500 zorkmids and 3750 points)
Vorpal Blade (worth 4000 zorkmids and 10000 points)
The Bell of Opening (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
The Candelabrum of Invocation (worth 5000 zorkmids and 12500 points)
1 amulet of reflection (worth 150 zorkmids),
1 amulet of magical breathing (worth 150 zorkmids),
and 0 pieces of gold, after 81943 moves.
You were level 22 with a maximum of 183 hit points when you ascended.

eskimo

Sep 6, 2006, 7:01:58 AM9/6/06
In article <44fea3d1$0$11974$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>,
cloc...@nothanks.com says...

> Woohoo!

Congratulations!

> - I played this game over a period of four weeks.
> Including last night, when I went to bed just as
> I landed on the astral plane! (It was too late
> and I would have made a stupid mistake!)

Woould have been a killer...

> - I think that I was very fortunate on the
> Elemental planes. I didn't have any portal detection
> devices except for the amulet. Somehow I didn't have
> any trouble with water elementals and I even managed to
> kill one.. somehow! I think that the ring of conflict
> made my life a lot easier :)

Easier with conflict especially on the plane of Air Especially as you
were locating the portals with the amulet which tends to take time.

> - On the Astral Plane, I walked into into a doorframe
> and was confronted by famine! There were ants behind me
> and my food was in a bag. Took a crazy swing and killed
> him with one hit! Using only my basic +5 Cleaver! I think
> that my ring of conflict must have made my life a bit easier :)

Indeed conflict helped again, taking out food isn't a bad bet if it's
"fast food" (one bite) like lembas wafers and such.

> - This was the first time I'd ever seen an Archon - putting
> a towel over my eyes made things a lot easier!

And with a bit of unluck you could have got to see 10 of them which
could have been YAAD.

> - 183 HP (could have sworn it was more like 210 at one point)

Fairly low for a first ascension. Without conflict you could have
bitten the dust on Air.

> - One thing I've never worked out. How do you
> take only 1 item out of a bag? If it's stacked?

When you normally press the letter for the item, give a number first
like "4 d" would take 4 of the d items out. You can see a # appearing
when giving a number.

Eskimo

--
//------------------------------
//Remove tämä all the way to and including soomee to mail directly.

David Damerell

Sep 7, 2006, 10:28:06 AM9/7/06
Quoting clockwise <cloc...@nothanks.com>:
> - I killed death twice, both times with my cleaver,
>however he wasn't guarding my altar. Famine was,
>and I didn't have to deal with Pestilence :)

Famine first is the best approach, I now realise.

> - This was the first time I'd ever seen an Archon - putting
>a towel over my eyes made things a lot easier!

Or just stay blind after the radiance gets you once.

> - Took 81943 moves - how does that stack up?

Slowish, but not very slow.

> - 183 HP (could have sworn it was more like 210 at one point)

Death drains maxHP.

> - One thing I've never worked out. How do you
>take only 1 item out of a bag? If it's stacked?

You can type a count before the item letter.
--
OPTIONS=name:Kirsty,menustyle:C,female,lit_corridor,standout,time,showexp,hilit
e_pet,catname:Akane,dogname:Ryoga,fruit:okonomiyaki,pickup_types:"!$?=/,scores:

jlue...@uiuc.edu

Sep 7, 2006, 11:07:17 AM9/7/06

eskimo wrote:
> In article <44fea3d1$0$11974$afc3...@news.optusnet.com.au>,
> cloc...@nothanks.com says...
> > - On the Astral Plane, I walked into into a doorframe
> > and was confronted by famine! There were ants behind me
> > and my food was in a bag. Took a crazy swing and killed
> > him with one hit! Using only my basic +5 Cleaver! I think
> > that my ring of conflict must have made my life a bit easier :)
>
> Indeed conflict helped again, taking out food isn't a bad bet if it's
> "fast food" (one bite) like lembas wafers and such.
Actually, lembas is two turns... K-rations and C-rations are the only
one turn food items worth worrying about (other things like fruit and
eggs are also one turn, but they don't provide enough nutrition to be
worth carrying).

- doy