New - Moria 5.01 (based on the original)

mewpo...@hotmail.com

Oct 26, 2012, 6:03:19 PM10/26/12
I'm pleased to announce that there is a new port of Moria for Windows and Linux.

This version is in Pascal, just like the original. Unlike other Moria ports, this one is version 5, not 4 and is not in C.

Other platforms including Mac OSX (and Darwin), Amiga and most if not all Unix variants, should be available if you install Free Pascal on them and simply compile the sources.

For this version, I have fixed a number of bugs and added colour. The colour support is preliminary, however. There are differences between the Windows version and other versions that I'm not quite happy with. This should be fixed over the next few releases.

I have also added Michał Bieliński's FOV modification so that you can see in a much larger radius than the original.

Please find it at: http://arcywidmo.republika.pl/Moria/

Enjoy!

Daniel.

mewpo...@hotmail.com

Oct 27, 2012, 10:32:33 AM10/27/12
On Friday, 26 October 2012 15:03:19 UTC-7, mewpo...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I'm pleased to announce that there is a new port of Moria for Windows and Linux.

*sigh* Sorry for any problems this will cause but I have found a bug. For some reason (unknown to me right now) choosing Ranger as the class causes a crash.

I'll fix this as soon as possible. My apologies.

Daniel.

mewpo...@hotmail.com

Nov 1, 2012, 8:06:22 PM11/1/12
Moria 5.01 has been re-released with a fix for the Ranger creation issue.

http://arcywidmo.republika.pl/Moria/

I've also implemented better colour support for Unix/Linux/Darwin/MacOSX. "Full" 16 colour mode can now be used on those platforms too but there is a configuration setting in config.ini in case your particular terminal application does not support it (if you get large patches of strange colours or black or blinking text instead of colour) or just in case you prefer the original black and white.

Please read readme.txt for more information. I've included a change log in changelog.txt that you may also like to peruse.

Thanks!

Daniel.

Sebastian Steinhauer

Jan 10, 2013, 10:26:48 AM1/10/13
Hi, thanks for your work porting Moria over to FreePascal.

But I've encountered some trouble when trying to compile it on my Linux
Box. Which version of FreePascal do you use ?! And why have you copied the
crt.pas unit file into your source directory? Why is it needed, instead of
the builtin crt unit from the FPC RTL?

Here's the error I got when I try to compile your sources:
$ fpc -Mobjpas -O3 -Xs Moria.dpr
Free Pascal Compiler version 2.6.0 [2011/12/23] for x86_64
Copyright (c) 1993-2011 by Florian Klaempfl and others
Target OS: Linux for x86-64
Compiling Moria.dpr
Fatal: Can't find unit IniFiles used by Moria
Fatal: Compilation aborted
Error: /usr/local/bin/ppcx64 returned an error exitcode (normal if you did
not specify a source file to be compiled)

--
Sebastian

mewpo...@hotmail.com

Nov 22, 2014, 10:14:15 PM11/22/14
On Friday, 11 January 2013 01:26:48 UTC+10, Sebastian Steinhauer wrote:
> Hi, thanks for your work porting Moria over to FreePascal.
>
> But I've encountered some trouble when trying to compile it on my Linux
> Box. Which version of FreePascal do you use ?! And why have you copied the
> crt.pas unit file into your source directory? Why is it needed, instead of
> the builtin crt unit from the FPC RTL?

> Sebastian

Sebastian,

Sorry for not getting back to you until now. I hope your interest hasn't disappeared like I seem to have done...

I actually used Lazarus to do all of my compilations on Linux. However, another individual (Michal Bielinski) did compile it with FPC only, as far as I know.

I had to use my own CRT unit because there were some compatibility problems with the FPC one and it didn't handle colour intelligently enough. I was going to have to make patches to the FPC one that I didn't want to commit back to the FPC project at that time. I will reinvestigate this once I have set up my Linux test box again (I've had to rebuild all of my PCs because of some drama...). You'll notice I use my own unit for it under Windows and MacOS, as well. The standard ones just didn't have the features/compatibility I required.

I apologise about the IniFiles dependency but it was more or less required unless I wrote my own replacement. I tried to say away from any LCL usage but didn't want to rewrite that one unit. AFAIK, its own dependencies are very minimal (SysUtils and Contnrs which both only need the RTL) and incorporating it into a vanilla FPC build process should be relatively painless.

Back in January (almost a whole year ago) I did some extensive changes on the project and I'll post about it in another thread. I hope you can become involved!

Daniel.