BOSS 2.5 released

Michał Bieliński

Oct 16, 2012, 12:17:27 PM10/16/12
Changes:
- Introduced FOV. This should make exploring much more fun.

Downloads:
http://arcywidmo.republika.pl/boss/

Note the website has moved.

--
Michał Bieliński

mewpo...@hotmail.com

Oct 17, 2012, 4:14:09 AM10/17/12
On Wednesday, 17 October 2012 02:17:28 UTC+10, Michał Bieliński wrote:
> Changes:
> - Introduced FOV. This should make exploring much more fun.
>
> Downloads:
> http://arcywidmo.republika.pl/boss/
>
> Note the website has moved.

Michał,

I think that the binaries (at least the Windows one) aren't version 2.5. I think they are the older version (2.4c?).

I compiled the source and got the FOV changes but the version is still reported (on intro screen) to be 2.4. The version screen doesn't report the correct version information, either.

I like the change. I was going to do it in Moria myself but I hope you don't mind if I copy it. I think its a little odd with "magically lit" rooms being lit up only when you are outside the entrance, though. I think they should probably light up whenever you can see into them. There must be some checking thats done using the old radius.

Daniel.

mewpo...@hotmail.com

Oct 17, 2012, 8:53:43 AM10/17/12
On Wednesday, 17 October 2012 18:14:10 UTC+10, (unknown) wrote:
> I like the change. I was going to do it in Moria myself but I hope you don't mind if I copy it. I think its a little odd with "magically lit" rooms being lit up only when you are outside the entrance, though. I think they should probably light up whenever you can see into them. There must be some checking thats done using the old radius.

Hmm... After migrating the change to Moria and playing it a little, I feel that the rooms should light up but only in adding to the sight radius and that this would be too difficult to implement right now.

Daniel.

Michał Bieliński

Oct 18, 2012, 11:45:42 AM10/18/12
Once upon a time, Daniel wrote thus:
> I think that the binaries (at least the Windows one) aren't version
> 2.5. I think they are the older version (2.4c?).

They are 2.5. Its the version number that is wrong.

> The version screen doesn't report the correct version information,
> either.

A minor mistake but one I made more than once. Its a pity BOSS needs
its version number changed in two places. In the code constant and
in welcome screen data file.

> I like the change. I was going to do it in Moria myself but I hope
> you don't mind if I copy it.

No problem. The source is out there also for this reason.

> I think its a little odd with "magically lit" rooms being lit up
> only when you are outside the entrance, though. I think they should
> probably light up whenever you can see into them.

Outside the entrance? Now that is interesting. If that was the inside
then it would mean it is as designed.

> There must be some checking thats done using the old radius.

There is no such thing as old radius. BOSS did not have proper field
of view calculation until I added it. The rooms are supposed to be
revealed when you enter them.

--
Michał Bieliński

mewpo...@hotmail.com

Oct 18, 2012, 9:04:02 PM10/18/12
On Friday, 19 October 2012 01:45:43 UTC+10, Michał Bieliński wrote:
> Once upon a time, Daniel wrote thus:
> > I think that the binaries (at least the Windows one) aren't version
> > 2.5. I think they are the older version (2.4c?).
>
> They are 2.5. Its the version number that is wrong.

Hmm.. I don't know. Somehow I ended up with the wrong version (it didn't have the FOV change). Maybe I did something wrong.

> > The version screen doesn't report the correct version information,
> > either.
>
> A minor mistake but one I made more than once. Its a pity BOSS needs
> its version number changed in two places. In the code constant and
> in welcome screen data file.

Yes.. Its the same for Moria. Its a bit annoying, isn't it?

> > I like the change. I was going to do it in Moria myself but I hope
> > you don't mind if I copy it.
>
> No problem. The source is out there also for this reason.

Thanks. I didn't think it was an issue and have already migrated the changes to Moria. You also changed the way in which "cave panels" are moved when you get near to the edges. I assume you did this because the visibility has changed. I've migrated that over, too.

I think that the infravision distances need to be changed as well. I need to have a look to better understand them.

> > I think its a little odd with "magically lit" rooms being lit up
> > only when you are outside the entrance, though. I think they should
> > probably light up whenever you can see into them.
>
> Outside the entrance? Now that is interesting. If that was the inside
> then it would mean it is as designed.

The magically lit rooms are fully displayed when you stand one cell away from the floor in them (so in an entrance).

> There is no such thing as old radius. BOSS did not have proper field
> of view calculation until I added it. The rooms are supposed to be
> revealed when you enter them.

Sorry, I meant that it was checking cells adjacent to the player using a "radius" of 1 which I know is hard-coded.

Not all of the rooms are lit. Only rooms having an "fval" of 2 are lit. It was just that previously, you could only see up to 1 cell in any direction so that having a lit room would mean that its "revealed" when you get to an entrance.

Now that you can see up to 5 cells away, its slightly different. The magical light from the rooms (and thats what the source code calls it) should be added on to the visible range. Anyway, like I said, its probably too difficult to implement at the moment.

Daniel.

rogue...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2015, 3:09:08 AM3/3/15
Link down. Can you provide a working link ?
Thank you :)

rogue...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2015, 3:22:06 AM3/3/15
Le mardi 16 octobre 2012 18:17:28 UTC+2, Michał Bieliński a écrit :
Thanks to WayBack Machine I was able to download it !
https://web.archive.org/web/20130118205257/http://arcywidmo.republika.pl/boss/