moria and the small screen

Eli the Bearded

Aug 9, 2016, 6:07:53 PM8/9/16
Anyone alive here still?

I've been interested in making umoria work on a text screen smaller than
80x24. I started by adjusting SCREEN_HEIGHT and SCREEN_WIDTH in
constant.h (to half their size) and saw it wasn't working as neatly as
one might hope. I reverted those and tried adding a WINDOW_HEIGHT
and WINDOW_WIDTH pair instead. Those I put put in generate.c for the
max_panel_rows/max_panel_cols values (leaving town at cur_height =
SCREEN_HEIGHT, cur_width = SCREEN_WIDTH). And I used the WINDOW_HEIGHT
and WINDOW_WIDTH in panel_bounds() of misc3.c.

The town works correctly with my new size now. The dungeon does not.
io.c:put_buffer() gets upset and aborts from time to time. "OH NO!!!!!!
A gruesome software bug LEAPS out at you. There is NO defense!"

Before I beat my head on this for too long, has anyone done these
adjustments and have patches to share for it? Email or post with links,
diffs, etc, are welcome.

My goal is to target a ARM based Linux system with a native screen size
of 65 wide and 20 tall.

Elijah
------
used to tinker with moria code for fun

Eli the Bearded

Aug 10, 2016, 3:54:47 PM8/10/16
In rec.games.roguelike.moria, Eli the Bearded <*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote:
> I've been interested in making umoria work on a text screen smaller than
> 80x24. I started by adjusting SCREEN_HEIGHT and SCREEN_WIDTH in
> Before I beat my head on this for too long, has anyone done these
> adjustments and have patches to share for it? Email or post with links,
> diffs, etc, are welcome.

kMoria, for the Palm Pilot, is still available in source form from
sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/roguelike-palm/

(Scroll down past iRogue. It was uploaded "1 year ago", but the tar file
is full of November 2000 time stamps.)

It *is* for a smaller screen. It also has a lot of code changes relative
to umoria, and not just because it was for a device without a keyboard
or text oriented display: the Palm apparently had a very small stack, so
large arrays were troublesome. Then all of the #ifdef SYSTEM has been
edited out. And a lot of functions have been moved between files. So
diffs are not really useful.

But misc1.c:get_panel() is gone and display.c:get_panel() is a
completely different implementation.

I'm looking at it for ideas still.

(But anything else, if anyone is there, is welcome.)

Elijah
------
played moria on a Palm Pilot V back around 2000

benshadwick

Aug 10, 2016, 8:46:43 PM8/10/16
I haven't looked into it, but I was thinking that it might be nice to be able to support *bigger* resolutions. Let us know if you figure it out.

jerk-o

Jan 14, 2024, 11:30:39 PMJan 14
On Tue, 9 Aug 2016 22:07:52 +0000 (UTC), Eli the Bearded
<*@eli.users.panix.com> wrote
>Anyone alive here still?
>
>My goal is to target a ARM based Linux system with a native screen size
>of 65 wide and 20 tall.

Any update on this? I think it'd be cool to play Moria on my phone.