DOS ASCII-style character set? (for solid walls)

David Chmelik

Oct 18, 2023, 4:20:14 AM10/18/23
On GNU/Linux Moria/Angband/ToME, how can I get back something like the DOS
extended ASCII character set that made walls solid white characters
instead of hash/pound signs which look much worse? If possible, I'd try
this for the official (Dr David Grabiner) Moria 5.6 or unofficial
(umoria.org) Moria 5.7 and Angband from earlier days when rangers still
had fireballs to maybe current version, and ToME-ah (ToME-SX looks good
also but hasn't had recent updates) (of course I mean Tales/Troubles of
Middle-earth, not the newer ToME that changed the world and is no longer
an Angband variant).
I asked on some IRC channels and got some answers but not sure they'll
work other than a reprogramming of Moria/Angband/ToME with unicode for
contemporary terminals (ttys, xterms), which I don't know I'm up to doing
but could probably suggest on the games' git repository issue/bug report
pages.

Eli the Bearded

Oct 18, 2023, 8:40:25 PM10/18/23
In rec.games.roguelike.moria, David Chmelik <dchm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I asked on some IRC channels and got some answers but not sure
> they'll work other than a reprogramming of Moria/Angband/ToME with
> unicode for contemporary terminals (ttys, xterms), which I don't
> know I'm up to doing but could probably suggest on the games' git
> repository issue/bug report pages.

Off the top of my head:

Changing the code to use any single other character is easy (eight bit
character). Changing it to use UTF-8 would be complicated. Using a font
/ charset with drawing characters in highbit octet area would work. Not
sure if you have a font for your xterm or whatever that supports that.

There was a patch / fork that did the work to add colors to Moria for
xterms. if you can compile that, setting foreground color equal to
background color may work.

Looks like I have a copy from literally decades ago. I have not tried to
compile it in this century:

https://qaz.wtf/Moria/colour.umoria.tar.Z

File timestamps all from late 1992.

There's also xmoria, which uses graphical tiles, from early 1993:

https://qaz.wtf/Moria/xmoria.1.07.tar.Z

Elijah
------
has been thinking about a modern rewrite of Moria