[Crawl] Trap death.

1 view

Mike Williams

Sep 26, 2001, 6:57:56 PM9/26/01
I have just discover Dungeon Crawl this week,
and am having the time of my life. I wish
more roguelike games would stick to standard
commands so that most of the actions don't have
to be relearned for every game.

My question involves traps. Can traps in crawl
attack from a distance? My best character so far
just died on level 5 from a spear trap. I saw a
weapon and when I reached it there were 4 spears,
and of course "a spear shoots out and hits you".
I thought, Cool I don't recall ever seeing spear
traps before. As I walked away from the trap
horizontally, I get the message again, and I'm
dead.

What I need to know is: Was there a second spear
trap that I hit, or did the first trap shoot me
from about 5 squares away? I was in a straight
line from the first though I notice that Crawl
seems to let missiles fire at more flexible angles.

Thanks
Mikebert

Joseph R. Hauser

Sep 26, 2001, 8:45:52 PM9/26/01

You hit a second trap. Traps don't shoot their missiles over a
distance.

Joe

John Q. Smith

Sep 27, 2001, 2:41:24 AM9/27/01
Well, unless you're in the square next to it, hit ctrl + the direction
to disarm the trap & fail in doing so... Then you can get hit. But
that's not possible from 5 squares away, so it was a second trap.

William Tanksley

Sep 27, 2001, 6:45:11 PM9/27/01
On 26 Sep 2001 15:57:56 -0700, Mike Williams wrote:
>I have just discover Dungeon Crawl this week,
>and am having the time of my life. I wish
>more roguelike games would stick to standard
>commands so that most of the actions don't have
>to be relearned for every game.

What do you mean, "more roguelike games"? Are there any which stick to
standard commands?

I'm afraid that any standard would have to be a completely new keyset (in
order to fit all the the capabilities games have come up with), and many
of the current games wouldn't adopt it.

To make matters worse, some of the capabilities are just plain
incompatible. For example, compare Omega's or ADOM's inventory system
with Nethack or Crawl's hodgepoge of commands. Many people like NH's
commands; but many other people hate them and prefer a unified system so
that they can do inventory things in inventory mode and not worry about it
otherwise. (You can probably guess which side I'm on; no offence, I hope,
and I do honestly recognise some benefits the other way.) There's no
compromise, and you can't possibly make Omega (for example) work with a NH
inventory system as an option, because in Omega doing different things at
different times takes different amounts of time.

>My question involves traps. Can traps in crawl attack from a distance?

No, but that's a great suggestion! Anyone else think so?

:-) Be careful what you say on Roguelike newsgroups!

--
-William "Billy" Tanksley