Omega

Peter A. Burov

Feb 9, 2002, 2:29:34 PM2/9/02
Does anyone still play this game? It's supposedly one of "the big five2 but
it's almost never discossed... theres no on e ever in alt.games.omega, and I
think it deserves far more attention... It's almost as good as ADOM and
better than Nethack or moria, whichtend to piss me off after a while... You
can download it from the roguelike games page, or at least there's a link to
a download. Check it out, it's worth it!
http://www.win.tue.nl/~kroisos/roguelike.html

Erik Max Francis

Feb 9, 2002, 2:31:48 PM2/9/02
"Peter A. Burov" wrote:

> Does anyone still play this game? It's supposedly one of "the big
> five2 but
> it's almost never discossed... theres no on e ever in alt.games.omega,
> and I
> think it deserves far more attention... It's almost as good as ADOM
> and
> better than Nethack or moria, whichtend to piss me off after a
> while... You
> can download it from the roguelike games page, or at least there's a
> link to
> a download. Check it out, it's worth it!

The official distribution page is:

http://www.alcyone.com/max/projects/omega/index.html

--
Erik Max Francis / m...@alcyone.com / http://www.alcyone.com/max/
/ \ Laws are silent in time of war.

Dark Fiber

Feb 10, 2002, 5:13:37 AM2/10/02

well omega is pretty cool, and worth mentioning. I also added it
to my roguelike news project page only the other day!

-Dark Fiber <dfi...@mega-tokyo.com>

[FAQ] Write Your Own Operating System
http://www.mega-tokyo.com/os
Sarien Sierra AGI Emulator
http://www.mega-tokyo.com/sarien
3x3 Eyes Fanfiction Archive
http://www.mega-tokyo.com/pai
AD&D UnderDark Roguelike
http://www.mega-tokyo.com/underdark
Roguelike News II
http://www.mega-tokyo.com/rlnews

Xerion

Feb 11, 2002, 2:45:55 AM2/11/02

Peter A. Burov <p.b...@ucl.ac.uk> wrote in message

> Does anyone still play this game? It's supposedly one of "the big five2
but
> it's almost never discossed... theres no on e ever in alt.games.omega, and
> think it deserves far more attention...

Omega is great for the first weeks that you play it. But it was far too easy
to beat, and there was less random elements to it making each game pretty
static. Additionally, I much prefer active gods to the passive ones.(The
only roguelike so far with active gods is Crawl) Finally, with no furthur
developement to Omega, the game is getting very stale, unfortunately.
The most exciting thing to happen to Omega in the way of development comes
from the early '90s when someone programmed an interesting variant on the
Amiga, which included rich graphics, almost double the items to be found
(including gloves, amulets, helmets, and so on.) It also slowed the game
down alot. Even on a 33Mhz Amiga it takes about a minute to load up the town
of Rampart.

Laters...

--
"Oh, I'm sorry. Were you happier when my vocabulary was limited to 'Tankor
Smaaash!' Poetic? Perhaps. But somehow its just not me anymore."

Jens Baader

Feb 11, 2002, 3:44:53 AM2/11/02

"Xerion" <xer...@attbi.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Peter A. Burov <p.b...@ucl.ac.uk> wrote in message
> > Does anyone still play this game? It's supposedly one of "the big five2
> but
> > it's almost never discossed... theres no on e ever in alt.games.omega,
and
> > think it deserves far more attention...
>
> Omega is great for the first weeks that you play it. But it was far too
easy
> to beat, and there was less random elements to it making each game pretty
> static. Additionally, I much prefer active gods to the passive ones.(The
> only roguelike so far with active gods is Crawl) Finally, with no furthur
> developement to Omega, the game is getting very stale, unfortunately.

I think Omega is still in development, the maintainers are just very
slow and don't release anything to public. I tried Omega and it looked
pretty cool but I couldn't stand moving around with RLkeys/numberkeys.
I really hope I will be able to use the arrow keys if a new version ever
comes out.

Could the Omega maintainer (William Tansky) please say something
about the future of Omega. When will we finally see a new version?

Jens

William Tanksley Google

Feb 11, 2002, 3:03:02 PM2/11/02
"Jens Baader" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:

> I think Omega is still in development, the maintainers are just very
> slow and don't release anything to public.

Very accurate. Actually, the maintainers are very swift, but the
maintainer (me) is almost painfully slow. Despite that, I've actually
managed to get something done this past weekend, at last, and Omega
again compiles for DOS (it's been too long). We won't do another
public release until we manage to get save files working again.

> I tried Omega and it looked
> pretty cool but I couldn't stand moving around with RLkeys/numberkeys.
> I really hope I will be able to use the arrow keys if a new version ever
> comes out.

I'll seriously consider providing an arrow key mapping with the next
public release. I strongly, STRONGLY recommend that you get used to
using the number keypad, though; the arrows WILL kill you, since they
remove the ability to move diagonally.

> Could the Omega maintainer (William Tansky) please say something
> about the future of Omega. When will we finally see a new version?

I can't say when, exactly. I will say that it'll be sooner than it
would have been a week ago, which is tautologically true if you assume
that the next release will come out in finite time (an assumption to
which I hold with fervor and zeal). Seriously, we've been making
phenominal progress. We've completely revamped Omega's time system,
replaced many of the data structures, upgraded all the movement
commands, and are in the process of making all the levels truly
data-based (so you can edit any datafile and actually see the changes
in the game).

The new movement commands are awe-inspiring. They're based on
Angband's running code, but adapted to Omega; unlike most variants of
Angband, though, the adaptation was complete, and running works
everywhere. The impressive part is that you can point to any place on
a level and the running code will take you there, automatically. You
can also name places on the level, and use the 'M' command to choose
which one to go to (just like the old city-move command, and indeed is
used in the same way, although it's much cleverer).

My intention is to spend some time making the savefiles work, and then
releasing (publicly) the next pre-alpha. Then another round of
bugfixing, adding one more HUGE feature, and then it'll be time to
release the first alpha.

If you're curious and code-knowledgable, and you know (or are willing
to learn) enough about Sourceforge, you'll be able to find the latest
version on Sourceforge. I won't support it, but if you think of
anything cool, show me that you have the code and I'll consider you
fit to add to the Omega developer's mailing list ;-).

> Jens

-Billy

William Tanksley Google

Feb 11, 2002, 3:15:31 PM2/11/02
"Xerion" <xer...@attbi.com> wrote:
> Omega is great for the first weeks that you play it. But it was far too easy
> to beat, and there was less random elements to it making each game pretty
> static.

Yes. Much of that will be addressed, primarily by adding many, many
more subplots and possible game-completion paths. The current
'winner' will still be just as easy, but the other ending will be made
much, much harder, and subject to a lot more randomness. There will
also be other endings, and many other ways of reaching them.

But this is a long way away yet. The changes we're doing now are
intended to make this possible, but my goal for 0.9x is to produce an
Omega with a plot and world like the current one, but with a much
better interface and fewer bugs. It's kind of a gesture of respect to
all the previous maintainers: before I start doing my own thing, I'm
going to make sure their work lives on.

Even when I'm doing my own thing, I'm going to be working towards the
goals that lawbrothers stated so long ago in the documentation.

> Additionally, I much prefer active gods to the passive ones.(The
> only roguelike so far with active gods is Crawl)

I completely agree. Crawl was the first real change in the world of
Roguelikes in a LONG time -- people had been talking about new
algorithms to do the same old thing. Linley is a genius for actually
DOING a new thing, and worrying about the algorithms later. Omega 1.0
WILL have a Crawl-style deity system, but with some perhaps surprising
twists, in the old Omega style.

> Finally, with no furthur
> developement to Omega, the game is getting very stale, unfortunately.

Agreed.

> The most exciting thing to happen to Omega in the way of development comes
> from the early '90s when someone programmed an interesting variant on the
> Amiga, which included rich graphics, almost double the items to be found
> (including gloves, amulets, helmets, and so on.) It also slowed the game
> down alot. Even on a 33Mhz Amiga it takes about a minute to load up the town
> of Rampart.

Where is this to be found?

Oh, you have seen MacOmega, right? I love those graphics. You can
see some screenshots at the BALROG Roguelike-history site. Or you
could compile the version from Sourceforge, and enable opcurses
(currently only working on GTK+).

-Billy

Xerion

Feb 11, 2002, 3:23:46 PM2/11/02

William Tanksley Google <wtan...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> "Xerion" <xer...@attbi.com> wrote:
> > Omega is great for the first weeks that you play it. But it was far too
easy
> > to beat, and there was less random elements to it making each game
pretty
> > static.
>
> Yes. Much of that will be addressed, primarily by adding many, many
> more subplots and possible game-completion paths. The current
> 'winner' will still be just as easy, but the other ending will be made
> much, much harder, and subject to a lot more randomness. There will
> also be other endings, and many other ways of reaching them.
Well, you've got my interest, at least. :-)

> > The most exciting thing to happen to Omega in the way of development
comes
> > from the early '90s when someone programmed an interesting variant on
the
> > Amiga, which included rich graphics, almost double the items to be found
> > (including gloves, amulets, helmets, and so on.) It also slowed the game
> > down alot. Even on a 33Mhz Amiga it takes about a minute to load up the
town
> > of Rampart.
>
> Where is this to be found?

I doubt it can be found on the 'net anymore. It sits, alone, on my old old
Amiga.(but not forgotten :-) If anyone would like a copy of this Omega, send
me an email. I don't have sources for it, so you'll have to have an Amiga
(or theoretically, an emulator) to run it.

Ray Davis

Feb 12, 2002, 1:47:43 AM2/12/02
I'd like to try Omega, but all it does is crash. :(

-Ray

William Tanksley Google

Feb 12, 2002, 1:35:00 PM2/12/02
"Ray Davis" <r...@digitalo.com> wrote:
> I'd like to try Omega, but all it does is crash. :(

A guy I met at college was talking about this great game he played,
but then he mourned that it crashed randomly in the wilderness, and
suddenly a light bulb popped on in my head... Sure enough, he was
talking about Omega. Imagine the odds.

Unfortunately, his bug was long since fixed, so it's probably not what
you're seeing. Fortunately, the recent pre-alphas have fixed a LOT of
other bugs -- perhaps your crash-bug is among them. Under what OS are
you attempting to run Omega, and what version is it?

> -Ray

-Billy