New game!

Scott McMillan

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97
to z...@olis.net.au

My server tells me that your server is forbidden!!! How can I overcome
this?

Scott

Linley

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

Hello, everyone! I tried posting this message before, but it didn't seem
to work.

You may remember that on occasion I've posted messages here about a game
I was writing, and I've finally finished it. Version 1.0 for DOS is
available from:
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/7812/index.html

Download, and enjoy!

Linley

Peng Zhou

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

Linley <z...@olis.net.au> wrote in article <34343B...@olis.net.au>...

Pretty nice game, with summoning spells and all that. Only thing it lacks
is:

Details

But that's out of scope, this is the first version, and I think the engine
is pretty good.

Good luck on improving it(if you will).

--
Peng Zhou

pen...@worldnet.att.net

Andrew Schoonmaker

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

Linley <z...@olis.net.au> caused pixels on my screen to be darkened
thusly:

>Hello, everyone! I tried posting this message before, but it didn't seem
>to work.
>
>You may remember that on occasion I've posted messages here about a game
>I was writing, and I've finally finished it. Version 1.0 for DOS is
>available from:
>http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/7812/index.html
>
>Download, and enjoy!

I downloaded it, and it looks pretty good overall. I've just got a
couple of problems. First, and most annoying, the hjkl keys don't
work for anything but movement. This is especially annoying for
wizards, as when I cast a spell and hit 'h' by mistake, I burn my MPs
anyway (which, IMHO, shouldn't happen; you might consider giving the
player prompts until e picks a valid direction). This wouldn't be
such a big problem if I weren't playing from a laptop; as it is, I
don't have a numeric keypad.

The other problem comes with picking up items. After my first
character, a fighter, had picked up items about to 'R', the game
informed me that I couldn't pick up any more items. That's not a
problem; I dropped all those clubs I'd picked up. Problem was, I
*still* couldn't pick up anything, even to add to an existing stack (I
think; IIRC, I had a pile of about 20 darts, and I couldn't pick them
up after throwing them). I dropped everything except for my weapon
(it was cursed), and still no luck....

-Andrew (who thinks that, otherwise, your game looks good. Are you
planning to add more stuff, or are you just going to keep it as a game
extremely like Rogue?)

--
Roonerize spandomly!
Andrew Schoonmaker (ne...@eskimo.com)

Paul Marshall

Oct 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/4/97

This may be a small nit to pick but after killing a monster if
you press the "5" key to wait one turn your character will move onto
the spot where the monster was. This can be annoying if you intend to
wait for the next prospective victim to step up and instead give him a
free first shot at you.

--
Paul Marshall
pmar...@tdsnet.com