[crawl] feature request: show killer's weapon

Christopher D Jeris

Mar 8, 2002, 11:28:08 PM3/8/02

It seems like Crawl occasionally likes to play a little joke on you
and generate a kobold or goblin or something with an expensive magic
weapon.

The kobold hits you with a runed short sword!
Ouch! That really hurt!
You die...

In these cases my first thought is always, "What in the name of Zot
was that thing wielding???" It would be nice if, when you died,
the game would print out what it was.

Killed by a kobold with a +3,+3 short sword of draining.

I don't know where in the code I should start looking to add this.
Could one of the developers point me in the right direction?

thanks & peace, Chris

d.brodale

Mar 9, 2002, 12:25:50 AM3/9/02

:
: It would be nice if, when you died,

: the game would print out what it was.

I agree fully and suggested the same a long, long
time ago, but ...

: I don't know where in the code I should start

: looking to add this. Could one of the developers
: point me in the right direction?

It's a bit convoluted (which is why the change
has yet to be adopted) -- do you really want to
know all the pieces that need to be added? :p

- don

Shamus Vaeren

Mar 9, 2002, 2:57:33 PM3/9/02
Christopher D Jeris <cje...@mit.edu> wrote in message news:<yzsh1yeu...@cathedral-seven.mit.edu>...

> It seems like Crawl occasionally likes to play a little joke on you
> and generate a kobold or goblin or something with an expensive magic
> weapon.

I feel your pain. Like when Ijyb, who is usually not a problem,
happens to have a wand of fire, and I've got no range-capability...

::sigh:: :>

Killed me pretty quickly.

I like te feature that you're proposing, Chris, it sounds great.

-=Shamus=-

Alex

Mar 11, 2002, 8:02:05 AM3/11/02
Hello.

I have been played with the code and I think I have found a solution.

You can look at

http://ttt.upv.es/agarcim/

It has the source with the modifications and a zipped binary for
windows.

I haven't time to do a carefully test, but it seems to work.

Note:

If compile yourself, you can have some troubles with DJGPP.

First, edit AppHdr.h and comment out

// #define NEED_USLEEP
// #define NEED_SNPRINTF

Second, in libutil.cc change

#include <sys/unistd.h>
for
#include <unistd.h>

I hope this can help you.

-- Alex --

d.brodale

Mar 11, 2002, 10:17:34 AM3/11/02

"Alex" wrote:

: I have been played with the code and I think

: I have found a solution. You can look at:
:
: http://ttt.upv.es/agarcim/

Looks interesting, but could you possibly
change the page title from:

"Patches for Dungeon Crawl 4.20"

to something along the lines of:

"Patches for Dungeon Crawl 4.0.0 Beta 20"

lest someone get confused?

Kudos for the work, though.

- don

Alex Garcia

Mar 11, 2002, 2:52:42 PM3/11/02
"d.brodale" <lar+u...@bway.net> wrote in message

> Looks interesting, but could you possibly
> change the page title from:
>
> "Patches for Dungeon Crawl 4.20"
>
> to something along the lines of:
>
> "Patches for Dungeon Crawl 4.0.0 Beta 20"
>
> lest someone get confused?

I sorry for the confusing title.
I have some problems with my internet conection.
In two o three days I will change the title.

-- Alex --