Dungeon Crawl v2.3(2/4)

Neil Pilgrim

Mar 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/29/98

I'm not sure what version it is (see other post), but there still seems to
be a problem with worms, and their tails.

In a recent game I saw a worm tail, but not its head. I shot many crossbow
bolts at it and it died...but the tail didn't disappear !
I then hit one part of the remaining tail, which died. But then I could
*walk over* the rest of the tail !
Small problem ?! :(

Also, eating titan flesh just causes the flesh to disappear, you don't
become any less hungry and, as far as I know, no ill effects occur.
um?!

I know I have mentioned it before (I think so at least...if I remember
correctly), but are you going to implement rotting corpses while you are
not on the level ?

What about making trap-disarming a skill ? I presume that intelligence
currently affects this directly ? You could make intelligence affect the
rate at which skills advance, but that would make 'blatty' characters less
fun ! Hmmm...what about making intelligence affect learning of
'intelligent' skills....then again, that's probably what you're doing
already....ah well....it *is* too early in the morning to be thinking
sensibly !

More "help" from a crawl bug-finder !,

Neil.P...@kepier.pine.clara.net
http://home.kepier.clara.net/
Remove the conifer to reply ;)
--
A Crawl spoiler site may be appearing at some point - if that's OK with you
Linley ? That is, at *some* point...

Dark fiber

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998 21:56:15 GMT, Neil.P...@kepier.pine.clara.net
(Neil Pilgrim) wrote:

>I'm not sure what version it is (see other post), but there still seems to
>be a problem with worms, and their tails.
>

>More "help" from a crawl bug-finder !,

i think i'll hold off playing crawl2 until it hits atleast verion 9.nn
maybe half of the bugs will be gone by then...

it could have been good ifnot for the constant bug fixes and releases.

hey linley, mebbe we should lock you in the room with the crawl
sources for a month and get one big bugfix everry so often
isntead of 5 a day? ^_-

gomen. i like crawl1 when i kicked it around..
pity about the bugs tho :(

ja matte ne!

-df
Dark Fiber <ent...@tig.com.au>
http://homepages.tig.com.au/~entropy

Head honch of the Ed Wood school of FanFic

Sazan Aisu Fanfiction homeroom
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Ginza/7478

Linley Henzell

Mar 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/31/98

Neil Pilgrim wrote:

> I'm not sure what version it is (see other post), but there still seems to
> be a problem with worms, and their tails.
>
> In a recent game I saw a worm tail, but not its head. I shot many crossbow
> bolts at it and it died...but the tail didn't disappear !
> I then hit one part of the remaining tail, which died. But then I could
> *walk over* the rest of the tail !
> Small problem ?! :(

Yes, this is a known problem, but I haven't heard of it exhibiting this
particularly odd set of behaviours. Oh well, I'll hopefully be able to
fix this somehow for the next version. In the meantime, if anyone has
any savefiles with this bug present (or any other bugs in 2.34) please
send them to me; they will be very useful in tracking things down.

> Also, eating titan flesh just causes the flesh to disappear, you don't
> become any less hungry and, as far as I know, no ill effects occur.
> um?!

This shouldn't be.

> I know I have mentioned it before (I think so at least...if I remember
> correctly), but are you going to implement rotting corpses while you are
> not on the level ?

Well, for a start this wouldn't be implemented as such, it would have to
be something like a system where the game keeps track of how long you
are away from a level, then rots corpses for that length of time when
you get back. I may be adding this at some stage (I could also do
something with shops restocking).

> What about making trap-disarming a skill ? I presume that intelligence
> currently affects this directly ? You could make intelligence affect the
> rate at which skills advance, but that would make 'blatty' characters less
> fun ! Hmmm...what about making intelligence affect learning of
> 'intelligent' skills....then again, that's probably what you're doing
> already....ah well....it *is* too early in the morning to be thinking
> sensibly !

Actually, stats have no effect on skills at all, and I don't think any
stats affect trap disarming (maybe dex? I forget). In any case, dex
*should* affect this. A traps skill will probably exist in the next
version, though.

About intelligence and skill gaining: I'm not really sure about this; it
would give a real disadvantage to characters who start off with a low
int. As int will have an even greater effect on spellcasting in the next
version than it does in 2.34 (now that failure rates have been tidied
up), this seems a bit unfair.

> --
> A Crawl spoiler site may be appearing at some point - if that's OK with you
> Linley ? That is, at *some* point...

Please do! I can't wait to see what's on it.

Linley Henzell

Neal Stangis

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Yeah, just count the number of "bugs" the posting. Heck, he almost made
fewer spelling errors than the local school paper does in one week.

(Check out the online Lode at http://www.grp.mtu.edu/lode/ to see just how
sarcastic I'm being...to both the poster and my school paper).

ObRoguelike: Aw shucks, I don't even have one. Why all the tumbleweeds
blowing through rgrm lately?
-=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=- -=*=-
New email address is Neal...@bigfoot.com Update your address books
Neal R. Stangis is a grad student in the ME department
http://www.me.mtu.edu/~nrstangi/ -Last modified 28 Mar 98
finger -l nrst...@harbor.me.mtu.edu to see what's been added to the site

William Tanksley

Apr 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/3/98

In article <351fa460...@news.tig.com.au> ent...@tih.com.au (Dark fiber) writes:

>i think i'll hold off playing crawl2 until it hits atleast verion 9.nn
>maybe half of the bugs will be gone by then...

In reality, you can expect all of the current bugs to be gone and an
entire new set to take their place. UNLESS enough people run it, that is
-- if people play it and report bugs, then there's some hope that the bug
count will dwindle.

>it could have been good ifnot for the constant bug fixes and releases.

(Jaw drop.)

You don't like bug fixes? Don't download them!! Sheesh!

>hey linley, mebbe we should lock you in the room with the crawl
>sources for a month and get one big bugfix everry so often
>isntead of 5 a day? ^_-

Wow. How much are you paying him to do all this work for you?

>gomen. i like crawl1 when i kicked it around..
>pity about the bugs tho :(

In summary, I seriously lack a sense of humor when it comes to people
insulting free software programmers because of the work they do.

I think you owe Linley an apology.

>-df
>Dark Fiber <ent...@tig.com.au>

-Billy