DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!

Kornel Kisielewicz

Apr 28, 2005, 4:25:17 PM4/28/05
<advertisement-like voice>

Rejoice, for DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!

I proudly present to you the new version of DoomRL with...

SOUND AND MUSIC :-D

Yesss! Now you can hear those damn former humans dying, now you can
listen to your favourite Doom I tunes... And more even, you can download
MP3 files from http://www.sirgalahad.org/paul/doom/ and plug them into
DoomRL for maximum pleasure (RECOMMENDED! -- see doomrl.ini for
instalation information).

But it's not all!

The long awaited Save-On-Crash function is implemented! No longer will
you loose your ass kicking marine to some damn "IsPlayer" crash! I also
tried to fix some of those bugs by the way ;-).

But wait, there's more!

Two new level TYPES are in! Play NOW and check them out before They do...

Still not enough?

Expanded mortem.txt! Now you will be able to share on rgr.misc what
happend to your marine on each level! Also, you'll know how many
bastards have escaped your trusty chaingun....

SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GRAB IT NOW!
http://chaos.magma-net.pl/doom/

</advertisement-like voice>

Changes from version.txt

v.0.9.8 (beta)
(9 bugfixes, 4 modifications, 8 additions)
(28.IV.2005)
[add] -- SOUND! Yeah, now hell is getting real ;-)
[add] -- MUSIC! Let the party begin!
[add] -- Possibility to bind MP3Files instead
[add] -- Prepared bindings for MP3's from www.sirgalahad.org/paul/doom/
[add] -- Saving on crash, finally! (greetings to R. Dan Henry)
[add] -- new level TYPE! (dedicated to Archibald ;-) ).
[add] -- another deadly level TYPE!
[add] -- killrate in mortem
[mod] -- Boots get more damaged
[mod] -- Cyber is unaffected by knockback!
[mod] -- Cyber has increased vision (prepare phase-devices)
[mod] -- increased Invulnerability duration.
[fix] -- proper Keybindings support in target and look mode
[fix] -- no pumping message when combat shotgun empty
[fix] -- fixed a CreateRoundDir bug
[fix] -- fixed a blood boots crash bug
[fix] -- fixed a bug in the celleffect code (possible IsPlayer crash)
[fix] -- fixed a bug in the telefrag code (possible IsPlayer crash)
[fix] -- NoIntro and NoFlashing in ini file works as it should
[fix] -- IronMan also increases HP (not only HPMax)
[fix] -- Cyberdeamon => Cyberdemon

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

Kornel Kisielewicz

Apr 28, 2005, 4:31:03 PM4/28/05
to Kornel Kisielewicz
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> <advertisement-like voice>
>
> Rejoice, for DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!

LEGAL NOTE:
All the Sounds and Music in this version of DoomRL are the property of
ID Software. I decided to include them into DoomRL for your gameing
pleasure. I guess that's not entirely legal -- but the files can be
obtained from major Doom Editing sites. So in this version you can
download them with DoomRL, in further versions I will probably remove
them from the zip file and add a ink to where you can download them.

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"Gott weiss, Ich will kein Engel sein..." -- Rammstein /Engel/

Timothy Pruett

Apr 28, 2005, 5:02:34 PM4/28/05
I downloaded it quickly on my friend's comp, and all I have to say is,
WOW! Seamless sound integration. Simply amazing. Sound and music
adds a lot to the game. Well done!

However, unfortunately for me, I won't be able to play it at home,
since I don't have Windows. Why no sound in the DOS version? It
can't be too big of a hassle to add it, and if you did, all us linux
folk could emulate it. So, sadly, I won't be able to enjoy the sound
for more than a few minutes here and there, until you make the change
for the DOS version too. Sigh...

You really should make the addition to the DOS one too, since this is
an amazingly great change, and I'm dying to play it on my laptop at
home! Great job Kornel, keep it up! DoomRL was great before, but
this puts it into a league of its own. :-)

--
"There are of course many problems connected with life, of
which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'

-- The Book.

Kornel Kisielewicz

Apr 28, 2005, 5:23:07 PM4/28/05
Timothy Pruett wrote:
> I downloaded it quickly on my friend's comp, and all I have to say is,
> WOW! Seamless sound integration. Simply amazing. Sound and music adds
> a lot to the game. Well done!

:-D. Have you noticed the Stereo and Distance effects? :-D

> However, unfortunately for me, I won't be able to play it at home, since
> I don't have Windows. Why no sound in the DOS version?

Because neither SDL nor FMOD works with DOS. And the choice of Sound
libraries for FreePascal is rather limited. I would need to prepare a
separate Dos version, which I think is useless. Also AFAIR there's no
MIDI support on Linux through FMOD (why?). But the good news is that the
near-completion Linux port will still be able to use the superior MP3
files. And yes, it will have sound :-)

> Great job Kornel, keep it up! DoomRL was great before, but this puts it
> into a league of its own. :-)

:-D

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"Invalid thought detected. Close all mental processes and
restart body."

Filip Dreger

Apr 28, 2005, 6:48:48 PM4/28/05

Uzytkownik "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisie...@gazeta.pl> napisal w
wiadomosci news:d4rjj9$mel$1...@inews.gazeta.pl...

> Because neither SDL nor FMOD works with DOS. And the choice of Sound
> libraries for FreePascal is rather limited. I would need to prepare
> a separate Dos version, which I think is useless. Also AFAIR there's
> no MIDI support on Linux through FMOD (why?). But the good news is
> that the near-completion Linux port will still be able to use the
> superior MP3 files. And yes, it will have sound :-)

I will take a moment to point that the Allegro library has sound under
Linux, Windows _and_ dos. I always stated it's better than SDL :-)

regards,
Filip

Kornel Kisielewicz

Apr 28, 2005, 7:06:22 PM4/28/05
Filip Dreger wrote:
> I will take a moment to point that the Allegro library has sound under
> Linux, Windows _and_ dos. I always stated it's better than SDL :-)

Yes! I should have bet something -- I *knew* you would blast into this
thread and point that out :-D. I wonder wether allegro has MP3 support
;-). And wether the Audio system can be ran independently of the rest of
allegro. And wether it can play MIDI's on Linux :-P

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"If hackers will ever use virtual reality, it would show a bunch
of text terminals floating around them..." -- The Sheep

Twisted One

Apr 28, 2005, 7:28:38 PM4/28/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Filip Dreger wrote:
>
>> I will take a moment to point that the Allegro library has sound under
>> Linux, Windows _and_ dos. I always stated it's better than SDL :-)
>
> Yes! I should have bet something -- I *knew* you would blast into this
> thread and point that out :-D. I wonder wether allegro has MP3 support
> ;-). And wether the Audio system can be ran independently of the rest of
> allegro. And wether it can play MIDI's on Linux :-P

I think the functionality is the same. It doesn't matter though, since
Allegro is a C library and DoomRL is written in something else.

(One more reason C is better -- much wider variety of 3rd-party
libraries available in C than in other languages.)

Kornel Kisielewicz

Apr 28, 2005, 7:48:52 PM4/28/05
Twisted One wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>> Filip Dreger wrote:
>>
>>> I will take a moment to point that the Allegro library has sound
>>> under Linux, Windows _and_ dos. I always stated it's better than SDL :-)
>>

>> Yes! I should have bet something -- I *knew* you would blast into this
>> thread and point that out :-D. I wonder wether allegro has MP3 support
>> ;-). And wether the Audio system can be ran independently of the rest
>> of allegro. And wether it can play MIDI's on Linux :-P
>
> I think the functionality is the same. It doesn't matter though, since
> Allegro is a C library and DoomRL is written in something else.
> (One more reason C is better -- much wider variety of 3rd-party
> libraries available in C than in other languages.)

I'm quite positive there are FreePascal bindings for Allegro. Actually -
- if something is in a *.dll or *.so, and doesn't use C++ classes then
making a header for FreePascal is trivial. That's why FreePascal has
OpenGL, SDL etc. support.

Oh, BTW -- thanks for a few good tips from before. I finally made that
huge step and thrown away both Outlook Express and Internet Explorer. I
guess that now, after a few days of usage, no one could force me to go
bal -- Thunderbird and Firefox are a lot better ;-)

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"A random group of people is useless for anything except
statistics" -- Anubis

Timothy Pruett

Apr 28, 2005, 7:44:38 PM4/28/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Timothy Pruett wrote:
>
>> I downloaded it quickly on my friend's comp, and all I have to say is,
>> WOW! Seamless sound integration. Simply amazing. Sound and music
>> adds a lot to the game. Well done!
>

> :-D. Have you noticed the Stereo and Distance effects? :-D

Yeah, I did! Needless to say, I was blown away.

>> However, unfortunately for me, I won't be able to play it at home,
>> since I don't have Windows. Why no sound in the DOS version?
>

> Because neither SDL nor FMOD works with DOS. And the choice of Sound
> libraries for FreePascal is rather limited. I would need to prepare a
> separate Dos version, which I think is useless. Also AFAIR there's no
> MIDI support on Linux through FMOD (why?). But the good news is that the
> near-completion Linux port will still be able to use the superior MP3
> files. And yes, it will have sound :-)

Well, as long as the linux port will have sound, I'm happy. :-)

Mechanoid

Apr 29, 2005, 5:26:30 AM4/29/05

Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> <advertisement-like voice>
>
> Rejoice, for DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!
>
> I proudly present to you the new version of DoomRL with...
>
> SOUND AND MUSIC :-D

Headphones are a must!
The immersion level has increase ten-fold. It's amazing what a short
3:30 long peice of music and a few *BANG* sound effects can do... Not
to mention the fact that you altered the sound to be closer/farther
away depending on your and the enemy's position... NTM the stereo
sound!
You just can't go wrong with those classic SFX! 8D

I also found the two new *types* of levels, and i must say they add a
much-needed varience to the game's previously semi-stale "room- door-
room- door- corridor- door- room" levels. The music is set perfectly
for both of them, as well! I've had only a few games right now, and i'm
finding it *challanging* to finish the game with a character, which is
good.

A few suggestions:
- Invisibility Globe! 8D
- Make the "special" stairways record in the mortem file, at what level
they were found, and wether or not they were entered. This way you can
find out if a certain staircase isn't getting generated easilly when
you test it... or for someone who doesn't explore the entire map before
going down.
- Get just a few more DooM sounds in there for the tougher enemies! Is
it a Baron or a Knight? Sargeant, or Commander? Granted, it's scarrier,
but it'd be even scarrier if you didn't find the staircase and you
heard a Knight!
- Enhance the AI. (Read: Code the "stupid" out of it) Having them run
into acid or lava is really knocking down the difficulty level; One
game i played, i ran into a level with tons of lava, and there were
*barely* any enemies to fight because they all killed themselves on it.
Having enemies attack each other like in the original would be fun,
too... 8P

And one heavy one: (which i'm just throwing out into a pool of sharks,
smeared in seal blood)
- Put each individual creature into it's own .wad file; Having the game
say that a modified creature file was present upon any player
death/win.
Then, create a program which can "compile" creatures from a variety of
flags and stats into a new and unique creature that can be fought
against in the game. (name, display character, HP, weapon, etc) Of
course, this program can only create files, and *not* modify them (so
that you dont get the issue of hacked default game files)
Creature AI could also be altered with this program; you could give a
creature the ability to teleport, and set that creature's AI to use
it's ability to teleport 1 out of 10 times, or something. (basically
abilities assigned are put into a list, and given a chance of happening
every turn, with a priority of top to bottom (attack 1 in 2, move 1 in
4, etc))
This way if some sadistic individual finds the game too easy, they can
create their own monster of what they think would be "tough" and fight
that, without any need of you modifying creature stats, or adding in
new ones, or such.
You could even turn it into a little contest; the player who creates
the most "doom-like" demon gets it implemented into the game as a
official creature.wad!

Again, it's a cat thrown into a swarm of killer bees -- i barely think
this has any chance of survival, so i wont feel badly if you say "It's
crap, im not doing it." 8P

Really hope it reaches 1.0.0!!!

David Damerell

Apr 29, 2005, 7:48:31 AM4/29/05
Quoting Kornel Kisielewicz <kisie...@gazeta.pl>:
><advertisement-like voice>
>Rejoice, for DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!
>I proudly present to you the new version of DoomRL with...
>SOUND AND MUSIC :-D

Hooray! I hope some of the crashes are out, too. :-)
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Aponoia, May.

Kornel Kisielewicz

Apr 29, 2005, 10:09:35 AM4/29/05
Mechanoid wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>><advertisement-like voice>
>>
>>Rejoice, for DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!
>>
>>I proudly present to you the new version of DoomRL with...
>>
>>SOUND AND MUSIC :-D
>
> Headphones are a must!

True ;-). And in my opinion the MP3 versions of the songs are an even
more a must ;-).

> Not
> to mention the fact that you altered the sound to be closer/farther
> away depending on your and the enemy's position... NTM the stereo
> sound!

:-D

> I also found the two new *types* of levels, and i must say they add a
> much-needed varience to the game's previously semi-stale "room- door-
> room- door- corridor- door- room" levels.

And there will be more... I'm working at the replayability with that, I
know replayability now sucks but I hope that it will improve to 1.0.0.

> A few suggestions:
> - Invisibility Globe! 8D

Oh come on ;-). If I add invisibility I'll add invisible demons too, you
know ;-).

> - Make the "special" stairways record in the mortem file, at what level
> they were found, and wether or not they were entered. This way you can
> find out if a certain staircase isn't getting generated easilly when
> you test it... or for someone who doesn't explore the entire map before
> going down.

True.

> - Get just a few more DooM sounds in there for the tougher enemies! Is
> it a Baron or a Knight? Sargeant, or Commander? Granted, it's scarrier,
> but it'd be even scarrier if you didn't find the staircase and you
> heard a Knight!

Okay ;-). But I don't know wether they were actually different.
I thought of adding some stormtrooper sounds for the commander, but that
would be plain silly ;-)

> - Enhance the AI. (Read: Code the "stupid" out of it) Having them run
> into acid or lava is really knocking down the difficulty level; One
> game i played, i ran into a level with tons of lava, and there were
> *barely* any enemies to fight because they all killed themselves on it.
> Having enemies attack each other like in the original would be fun,
> too... 8P

A complete rewrite of the AI is planned.

> - Put each individual creature into it's own .wad file; Having the game
> say that a modified creature file was present upon any player
> death/win.

Oh come on, this is a coffee-break game! :-D

> Creature AI could also be altered with this program; you could give a
> creature the ability to teleport, and set that creature's AI to use
> it's ability to teleport 1 out of 10 times, or something. (basically
> abilities assigned are put into a list, and given a chance of happening
> every turn, with a priority of top to bottom (attack 1 in 2, move 1 in
> 4, etc))

But I may consider that...

> Really hope it reaches 1.0.0!!!

It will ;-). The only thing I'm not sure about is how it will look then :-D.

Kornel Kisielewicz

Apr 29, 2005, 10:10:36 AM4/29/05
David Damerell wrote:
> Quoting Kornel Kisielewicz <kisie...@gazeta.pl>:
>
>><advertisement-like voice>
>>Rejoice, for DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!
>>I proudly present to you the new version of DoomRL with...
>>SOUND AND MUSIC :-D
>
> Hooray! I hope some of the crashes are out, too. :-)

I found some of them. And I guess the save-on-crash feature will make
the rest less annoying (and easier to write down the tracedumps too).

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"Oh come on. We both know the truth about this game --
vapourware." -- Anathiel about GenRogue

Christophe Cavalaria

Apr 29, 2005, 10:52:53 AM4/29/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

> Mechanoid wrote:
>> - Get just a few more DooM sounds in there for the tougher enemies! Is
>> it a Baron or a Knight? Sargeant, or Commander? Granted, it's scarrier,
>> but it'd be even scarrier if you didn't find the staircase and you
>> heard a Knight!
>
> Okay ;-). But I don't know wether they were actually different.

Baron of Hell and Hell knight have very different sounds. For the zombie
soldiers i'm not sure. I think they are different but in the end, they all
look the same more or less.

Filip Dreger

Apr 30, 2005, 5:09:35 AM4/30/05

Uzytkownik "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisie...@gazeta.pl> napisal w
wiadomosci news:d4rpk7$dgp$1...@inews.gazeta.pl...

> Yes! I should have bet something -- I *knew* you would blast into
> this thread and point that out :-D. I wonder wether allegro has MP3
> support ;-).

I was hoping noone would ask about this... no, it does not support
mp3.

And wether the Audio system can be ran independently of the rest of
> allegro. And wether it can play MIDI's on Linux :-P

Audio system is not detachable :-(
But it indeed plays mids both under Linux and Windows.

regards,
Filip

Kornel Kisielewicz

Apr 30, 2005, 10:38:26 AM4/30/05
Filip Dreger wrote:
> Uzytkownik "Kornel Kisielewicz" <kisie...@gazeta.pl> napisal w
> wiadomosci news:d4rpk7$dgp$1...@inews.gazeta.pl...
>

>>Yes! I should have bet something -- I *knew* you would blast into
>>this thread and point that out :-D. I wonder wether allegro has MP3
>>support ;-).
>

> I was hoping noone would ask about this... no, it does not support
> mp3.

Duuh, then it's useless for me -- after I heard the Doom MP3's I just
can't stand falling back to MIDI's :-/

> And wether the Audio system can be ran independently of the rest of
>
>>allegro. And wether it can play MIDI's on Linux :-P
>
> Audio system is not detachable :-(

This seems like another thing why Allegro isn't a good choice ;-).

> But it indeed plays mids both under Linux and Windows.

This one's interesting tough... (but come to think of it, so does SDL ;-) ).

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"11 years and no binary. And it's not vapourware" -- Igor Savin

AngeloB

Apr 30, 2005, 6:08:00 PM4/30/05
Great. The sound FX just give that extra-punch to the game. I thought
the blood stains in the floor and walls were a cool feature, the one
item in one space only also added to the effect (various characters
appearing at the same time around the corpse emulates a body
explosion). Now the sound FX ;) Nice idea, indeed.

Also, any level design improvments are always welcome. :)

Btw, I like the ascii-pics of the monsters. Would it possible to, for
example, put the monster's pic that killed you in the mortem file? ;)

Keep up the good work!

Kornel Kisielewicz

Apr 30, 2005, 6:39:13 PM4/30/05
AngeloB wrote:
> Great. The sound FX just give that extra-punch to the game. I thought
> the blood stains in the floor and walls were a cool feature, the one
> item in one space only also added to the effect (various characters
> appearing at the same time around the corpse emulates a body
> explosion). Now the sound FX ;) Nice idea, indeed.

:-D

> Also, any level design improvments are always welcome. :)

And there will be more to come.

> Btw, I like the ascii-pics of the monsters. Would it possible to, for
> example, put the monster's pic that killed you in the mortem file? ;)

Well it would, but I think it isn't a good idea. Those ASCII pics look
cool because they are coulored. Without colors the comletely don't look
like the oroginal :-/

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"It's much easier to make an army of dumb good people than to
make one single smart good guy..." -- DarkGod

ABCGi

Apr 30, 2005, 11:03:07 PM4/30/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> <advertisement-like voice>
>
> Rejoice, for DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!
>
> I proudly present to you the new version of DoomRL with...
>
> SOUND AND MUSIC :-D
*SNIP*

> SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GRAB IT NOW!
> http://chaos.magma-net.pl/doom/
>
> </advertisement-like voice>

Freakin' awesome, well done. Full play test
report later but love the sounds (should add
the bang bang bang noise and slurps in the
intro), and the credits are nice too.

I would of done the music in the ini file
without extension and look for mp3 first
in not exist goto mid named the same - so
players don't have to edit ini file.

Prefer game not close down at finish, I
add this to batch file;

:label
doomrl
goto label

alt-enter and click x to quit. Ugly :)

--
ABCGi ---- (ab...@yahoo.com) ---- http://codemonkey.sunsite.dk
Fun RLs in rgrd that I have tested recently!

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 12:32:30 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>> <advertisement-like voice>
>>
>> Rejoice, for DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!
>>
>> I proudly present to you the new version of DoomRL with...
>>
>> SOUND AND MUSIC :-D
>
> *SNIP*
>
>> SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GRAB IT NOW!
>> http://chaos.magma-net.pl/doom/
>>
>> </advertisement-like voice>
>
> Freakin' awesome, well done. Full play test
> report later but love the sounds (should add
> the bang bang bang noise and slurps in the
> intro), and the credits are nice too.
>
> I would of done the music in the ini file
> without extension and look for mp3 first
> in not exist goto mid named the same - so
> players don't have to edit ini file.
>
> Prefer game not close down at finish, I
> add this to batch file;
>
> :label
> doomrl
> goto label
>
> alt-enter and click x to quit. Ugly :)

DOOM-RL - ver 0.9.8 WIN-S on Win XP - playtest

As usual take what you like and feel free to ignore
the rest!

GOOD
----
* Sound and music! Esp sound is atmospheric.
* Combat shotgun is the bomb - great strategy.
* Performance of DOS window is fine on my high end PC.
* Game comes with midi files so works out of box.
WAV files should always accompany every release IMO.
* Standing adjacent to monster engages their melee mode.
* Love the post mortem stuff, prev dead warriors etc
* Targeting system is excellent
* Wait command is good tactically.
* Good 'n hard!
* 'U'nload weapon from ground is great! Would rather it
be SHIFT 'g' (or whatever keys are used for pickup)
though. speed speed speed gameplay ;)
* Sounds are great for shooting into the dark without
the need to use text notification!
Make sure monsters do actually respond to being shot
in this way or its a bit of a exploit.
* Background sounds of living monsters is cool and
informative.
* Knock back is the rox (see kick RFE below).

ISSUE [fix]
-----
* '.' wait command should also pump the combat shotgun
* Pressing the med kit letter in the inventory should
use the health kit.
* Equip screen should not escape when you change slot.
* User should not have to fiddle with ini files etc
To appeal to more than just us high end geeks :)
* English on intro needs corrections...
"who supposed" = "who were supposed"
I could be more pedantic but I won't ;P
Should there be a time limit before it continues
to next screen instead of waiting for SPACE?
* Changing from inventory screen to equipment screen
i tried to press e but this tried to use item e
= got attacked and died
* Post mortem should not say "There finally he..."
when he only fought a few levels... also should
the PC always be a male??? ;)
* U for use lever means can't use item on lever
(existing bug!)
* Numpad '.' does not work with num lock off but
movement only works with num lock off meaning
main keyboard needed for wait command.
* Interesting animation on black screen occurs
while 'u'sing med kits in the middle of combat.
In dos window.
* ',' run command stops at corpse - debatable -
but when I reach the corpse I should run
over it the second time I engage run.
* Is TAB to cycle targeting in the keybinding?
It could also be on the line Fire -- Choose target...
[f]ire [TAB] [ESC]
When I cycle to the 2nd of two monsters, fire,
then on next round it is on the 2nd monster
and I press tab it is still on the 2nd monster...
then subsequent tabs work properly (ie that bit
of code has not yet been told the current target is
not the default closest one).
* Post mortem General section does not mention those
that ran away! 'Q'uit... ;)
Consider saving each mortem.txt file as
mortem_playername.txt ?

CHANGE REQUESTS [mod]
---------------
* I should be able to drop currently held weapon...
this should be faster than 1/2 of a weapon switch :)
SHIFT weapon quick key would be fine way of doing
this (drops current weapon and switches to selected
weapon)
* Sound when player missing?
* When player moves monster aim should suffer a penalty.
You prob. already have this, but if I'm out in the
open and stand still the monsters should get more
accurate after their first shot - much like playing
Doom where you strafe left and right between firing.
* Don't repeat the music on a level, let it play through
once per level... just the noises by themselves can
also be cool and creepy! Or music toggle: on, off
for rest of level, mute.
* Target stay at same empty point aimed at last turn.
I often shoot into the dark a full clip to "test the
waters" ;)
* Character screen ('@') can show things like effect of
current tactic setting (cautious, aggressive) and
break down of all PC stats and to-hit changes etc

RFE [add]
---
* Dual pistols! etc
* Kick command - if successful knocks monster back a
certain distance (depending on str and monster) and
may stun monster for that turn. Great for pushing
monsters into acid - or kicking them back then
giving them both barrels - or kicking them in
front of a chaingun. Also kicking barrels will
slide them x distance based on strength and do
a small amount of damage to the barrels integrity -
allowing a barrel against a wall to be kicked till
it blows up or for a weak barrel to blow up in the
PCs face when kicked. Or something along these lines.
Kicking one barrel into another explodes them both :)
Chance to disarm former humans etc.
* Do something interesting on various names entered
as player names - just easter eggs, nothing too
unbalancing. You already do the cheat codes right??? ;)
Colour the name differently to indicate user has
found an easter egg ("John Romero" "Id" etc)
* Add tip section to level up screen - random tip such
as "Remember you can 'U'nload a weapon from the
ground to take just its ammo" or "Barrels hurt!" etc.
Helps gets noobs in faster, and is kind of an adding
experience to the player AND the PC.
* '5' on numpad to do something (pick up?) - sacrilegious
I know - prob just used to it now from playing the tombs
(btw Martin if your reading - see how the sounds in this
really add to the game!)
* Dive command - SHIFT any movement key dives the PC in
that direction, moving two squares and being harder to
hit, with whatever time penalty balances it out?
* '@' character screen could have ASCII picture of bloodied
face depending on damage status.
* Pets - fellow marines = cannon fodder! ;)
* Do the monsters fight each other when they hurt each other?

Great great great game - much harder and therefore much more
replayability, as of course defeating it does take a shine off
the challenge factor. That seems to be enough feedback :)
I'll let you know if I notice any major problems but it all
seems pretty clean and professional!

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 1:00:20 AM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Mechanoid wrote:
>> A few suggestions:
>> - Invisibility Globe! 8D
>
> Oh come on ;-). If I add invisibility I'll add invisible demons too, you
> know ;-).

It needs them... super creepy to hear the demon but
not be able to see it till attacks. Firing shotgun
in every direction - hearing it groan - killing
it and it becomes visible ;) Using barrels or splash
damage to take them out where you /think/ they are!

Also 'k'ick command kicks gibs! Leaves red mark where
it bounces off walls, stuns monster for round if hit.

Timofei Shatrov

May 1, 2005, 1:13:48 AM5/1/05
On Sun, 01 May 2005 00:39:13 +0200, Kornel Kisielewicz
<kisie...@gazeta.pl> tried to confuse everyone with this message:

Well, people at alt.ascii-art could do them better...

--
|a\o/r|,-------------.,---------- Timofei Shatrov aka Grue ------------.
| m"a ||FC AMKAR PERM|| mail: grue at mail.ru http://grue3.tripod.com |
| k || PWNZ J00 || Kingdom of Loathing: Grue3 lvl 18 Seal Clubber |
`-----'`-------------'`-------------------------------------------[4*72]

Timothy Pruett

May 1, 2005, 2:13:26 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:

<snip suggestions, RFEs, etc>

Another minor little quirk to mention:

Make 'R' ("Special Reload") do a normal reload for weapons that don't
have a special reload, instead of just giving an error message. Not
really a big deal, but I play with the combat shotgun a lot, so I'm
used to hitting 'R' a lot, and when I finally switch to a new gun, I
typically hit 'R' a few times by mistake, only to have to hit 'r'
again afterwards. Like I said, not a big deal, but it's just one of
those little things that adds some polish to the game.

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 4:11:06 AM5/1/05
Timothy Pruett wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
> <snip suggestions, RFEs, etc>
>
> Another minor little quirk to mention:
>
> Make 'R' ("Special Reload") do a normal reload for weapons that don't
> have a special reload, instead of just giving an error message. Not
> really a big deal, but I play with the combat shotgun a lot, so I'm used
> to hitting 'R' a lot, and when I finally switch to a new gun, I
> typically hit 'R' a few times by mistake, only to have to hit 'r' again
> afterwards. Like I said, not a big deal, but it's just one of those
> little things that adds some polish to the game.

Yes and in this coffee table speed game anything
that makes the interface go bling bling bling is
good as it adds to that feeling of pace. I like to
jam my finger on 'f' a lot and empty clips into
monsters - its almost like playing the original!

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 7:08:51 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>> Mechanoid wrote:
>>
>>> A few suggestions:
>>> - Invisibility Globe! 8D
>>

>> Oh come on ;-). If I add invisibility I'll add invisible demons too,
>> you know ;-).
>

> It needs them... super creepy to hear the demon but
> not be able to see it till attacks. Firing shotgun
> in every direction - hearing it groan - killing
> it and it becomes visible ;) Using barrels or splash
> damage to take them out where you /think/ they are!

Yes, but as designer, I have to think about gameplay: for many people it
would be frustrating, and not fun. Moreover, I'm afraid, that watching
for invisi-demons would drasticaly reduce the pace of the game. As I
think about it, invsi-demons would only turn-up in caves, and only in
one that hold only them...

> Also 'k'ick command kicks gibs! Leaves red mark where
> it bounces off walls, stuns monster for round if hit.

You're serious? :-)

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 7:09:20 AM5/1/05
Timofei Shatrov wrote:
>>Well it would, but I think it isn't a good idea. Those ASCII pics look
>>cool because they are coulored. Without colors the comletely don't look
>>like the oroginal :-/
>
> Well, people at alt.ascii-art could do them better...

You think they would do so much work for free?

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"Shadows universe is non-heroic, unfair, cruel and designed to
start playing on your nerves and sanity." -- Anubis

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 7:12:31 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
> Freakin' awesome, well done.

:-D

> Full play test
> report later but love the sounds (should add
> the bang bang bang noise and slurps in the
> intro), and the credits are nice too.

Credits?

> I would of done the music in the ini file
> without extension and look for mp3 first
> in not exist goto mid named the same - so
> players don't have to edit ini file.

I made it as it is, cause the names that are available now, are the
original ones, and don't need any fidling around if you just download
them from somewhere else.

> Prefer game not close down at finish, I
> add this to batch file;
>
> :label
> doomrl
> goto label
>
> alt-enter and click x to quit. Ugly :)

LOL! My friend had such an autoexec.bat on his DOS machine!

If you want I can add an option in the ini-file -- RESTARTATDEATH ?

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 7:36:10 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
> DOOM-RL - ver 0.9.8 WIN-S on Win XP - playtest
>
> As usual take what you like and feel free to ignore
> the rest!

;-)

> GOOD
> ----
> * Sound and music! Esp sound is atmospheric.

Noticed the stereo/distance effects? :-D

> * Combat shotgun is the bomb - great strategy.
> * Performance of DOS window is fine on my high end PC.

It works a lot better fullscreen tough. But still, I'm happy it works
out of the box on XP machines.

> * Game comes with midi files so works out of box.
> WAV files should always accompany every release IMO.

But they're licenced :-(. I don't know how much of an infraction is
that. Maybe a confirmation page that appears after clicking download
would be enough? I mean that those MIDIs and WAVs are available at any
editing site, and I just packaged them in...

> * Love the post mortem stuff, prev dead warriors etc

:-). I wonder what more can be added there.

> * Targeting system is excellent

But buggy still :-D

> * Good 'n hard!

Many people say it's too easy :-). I think Nightmare mode is in order...

> * Sounds are great for shooting into the dark without
> the need to use text notification!

LOL! True. You just hear: Bang! Urgggh!

> Make sure monsters do actually respond to being shot
> in this way or its a bit of a exploit.

It's a good exploit :-) -- like playing Quake by the ear...

> ISSUE [fix]
> -----
> * '.' wait command should also pump the combat shotgun

It doesn't?

> * Pressing the med kit letter in the inventory should
> use the health kit.

It doesn't??

> * Equip screen should not escape when you change slot.

This is needed. I don't want any offscreen deaths. And changing a slot
must take a turn.

> * User should not have to fiddle with ini files etc
> To appeal to more than just us high end geeks :)

You mean an "options" menu instead?

> * English on intro needs corrections...
> "who supposed" = "who were supposed"

Where did you find that?

> I could be more pedantic but I won't ;P

Oh, do be :-). I'll run in a pedantic person anyway some time, so it's
better to correct it sooner :-D

> Should there be a time limit before it continues
> to next screen instead of waiting for SPACE?

??

> * Changing from inventory screen to equipment screen
> i tried to press e but this tried to use item e
> = got attacked and died

??

> * Post mortem should not say "There finally he..."
> when he only fought a few levels... also should
> the PC always be a male??? ;)

I don't know -- adding a gender choice would be just another keypress
before you enter battle...

> * U for use lever means can't use item on lever
> (existing bug!)

You should use the inventory screen then.

> * Numpad '.' does not work with num lock off but
> movement only works with num lock off meaning
> main keyboard needed for wait command.

I'll see to that.

> * Interesting animation on black screen occurs
> while 'u'sing med kits in the middle of combat.
> In dos window.

Not only I think. It's the way the game handles redraws. I'm not sure
that can be easily fixed.

> * ',' run command stops at corpse - debatable -
> but when I reach the corpse I should run
> over it the second time I engage run.

Okay.

> * Is TAB to cycle targeting in the keybinding?
> It could also be on the line Fire -- Choose target...
> [f]ire [TAB] [ESC]

True :-).

> When I cycle to the 2nd of two monsters, fire,
> then on next round it is on the 2nd monster
> and I press tab it is still on the 2nd monster...
> then subsequent tabs work properly (ie that bit
> of code has not yet been told the current target is
> not the default closest one).

Aaaah. I will need to look at that ;-).

> * Post mortem General section does not mention those
> that ran away! 'Q'uit... ;)

Aaaah!

> Consider saving each mortem.txt file as
> mortem_playername.txt ?

Good idea :-). But only for windows version :-D. I'll also move them to
a separate directory.

> CHANGE REQUESTS [mod]
> ---------------
> * I should be able to drop currently held weapon...
> this should be faster than 1/2 of a weapon switch :)
> SHIFT weapon quick key would be fine way of doing
> this (drops current weapon and switches to selected
> weapon)

Hmm... I don't know if it wouldn't be just painful.

?

> * When player moves monster aim should suffer a penalty.
> You prob. already have this, but if I'm out in the
> open and stand still the monsters should get more
> accurate after their first shot - much like playing
> Doom where you strafe left and right between firing.

I don't get it. What's wrong with the way it is now? Now only when you
move, there's a chance that he will target the square you *were* on,
instead the square you *are* on.

> * Don't repeat the music on a level, let it play through
> once per level... just the noises by themselves can
> also be cool and creepy! Or music toggle: on, off
> for rest of level, mute.

Hmm. I will have to rethink that :-). I also thought about one track per
4 levels, and dedicated tracks for special levels.

> * Target stay at same empty point aimed at last turn.
> I often shoot into the dark a full clip to "test the
> waters" ;)

AI needs a redesign, I know ;-)

> * Character screen ('@') can show things like effect of
> current tactic setting (cautious, aggressive) and
> break down of all PC stats and to-hit changes etc

Yeah.

> RFE [add]
> ---
> * Dual pistols! etc

Oh come on ;-). How do you imagine that interface wise?

> * Kick command - if successful knocks monster back a
> certain distance (depending on str and monster) and
> may stun monster for that turn. Great for pushing
> monsters into acid - or kicking them back then
> giving them both barrels - or kicking them in
> front of a chaingun.

I don't know how better that would be instead of just blasting him. And
do you imagine a kicked baron/demon/arachnotron/cyberdemon would buldge
at all (or feel that kick at all)?

> Also kicking barrels will
> slide them x distance based on strength and do
> a small amount of damage to the barrels integrity -
> allowing a barrel against a wall to be kicked till
> it blows up or for a weak barrel to blow up in the
> PCs face when kicked.

That's useless :-)

> Or something along these lines.
> Kicking one barrel into another explodes them both :)

Also useless, cause you'l get in the blast of both for sure...

I may consider the kick command, but only if you come up with at least 3
realy usefull applications of it.

> * Do something interesting on various names entered
> as player names - just easter eggs, nothing too
> unbalancing. You already do the cheat codes right??? ;)

Actually they were removed when I changed the input system :-/

> Colour the name differently to indicate user has
> found an easter egg ("John Romero" "Id" etc)

Hmm... I *do* have an idea for a few easter eggs ;-D

> * Add tip section to level up screen - random tip such
> as "Remember you can 'U'nload a weapon from the
> ground to take just its ammo" or "Barrels hurt!" etc.
> Helps gets noobs in faster, and is kind of an adding
> experience to the player AND the PC.

Good one ;-). And easier then updating the manual :-D

> * '5' on numpad to do something (pick up?) - sacrilegious
> I know - prob just used to it now from playing the tombs
> (btw Martin if your reading - see how the sounds in this
> really add to the game!)

Shouldn't it be the "wait" key?

> * Dive command - SHIFT any movement key dives the PC in
> that direction, moving two squares and being harder to
> hit, with whatever time penalty balances it out?

Hmm... i don't know. May be fun, but poses some problems.

> * '@' character screen could have ASCII picture of bloodied
> face depending on damage status.

LOL :-). I don't have so much time and patience with ASCII tough...

> * Pets - fellow marines = cannon fodder! ;)

LOL2! Kinda undoomish tough ;-).

> * Do the monsters fight each other when they hurt each other?

Not yet ;-).

> Great great great game - much harder and therefore much more
> replayability, as of course defeating it does take a shine off
> the challenge factor. That seems to be enough feedback :)

I want someone to post a YASD or YAVP on rgr.misc! I'm eager to see how
people play...

> I'll let you know if I notice any major problems but it all
> seems pretty clean and professional!

Thanks!

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 7:36:40 AM5/1/05
Timothy Pruett wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
> <snip suggestions, RFEs, etc>
>
> Another minor little quirk to mention:
>
> Make 'R' ("Special Reload") do a normal reload for weapons that don't
> have a special reload, instead of just giving an error message. Not
> really a big deal, but I play with the combat shotgun a lot, so I'm used
> to hitting 'R' a lot, and when I finally switch to a new gun, I
> typically hit 'R' a few times by mistake, only to have to hit 'r' again
> afterwards. Like I said, not a big deal, but it's just one of those
> little things that adds some polish to the game.

Ok. I'll remember that.

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 8:29:31 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
> Timothy Pruett wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:
>>
>> <snip suggestions, RFEs, etc>
>>
>> Another minor little quirk to mention:
>>
>> Make 'R' ("Special Reload") do a normal reload for weapons that don't
>> have a special reload, instead of just giving an error message. Not
>> really a big deal, but I play with the combat shotgun a lot, so I'm
>> used to hitting 'R' a lot, and when I finally switch to a new gun, I
>> typically hit 'R' a few times by mistake, only to have to hit 'r'
>> again afterwards. Like I said, not a big deal, but it's just one of
>> those little things that adds some polish to the game.
>
> Yes and in this coffee table speed game anything
> that makes the interface go bling bling bling is
> good as it adds to that feeling of pace. I like to
> jam my finger on 'f' a lot and empty clips into
> monsters - its almost like playing the original!

KK...

+1:
"mode con cp select=473" returns
The code page specified is not valid.

-1:
TAB - target cycle is in the keybindings text after
all. ;) like twice or so ! doh

-1:
You mention redefinition of keybindings in ini file
so I can make 'G' the Unload command. I think more
users if they don't have to edit ini file though.

+1:
If have a bleeding state - need to have a bandage
command feature?

+1:
RunOverItems = TRUE; - fair nuff :)
auto names is cool too
But % gibs still stop the run and you can't
run over them even standing adjacent, or if
standing on them and there is an item next
door (even with above on)... ie needs a bit
of work.

+1:
Mention on save that it will be loaded on next level.
"You camp on the way down the stairs" or something...
or a confirmation ... load/save works though...

+1:
No error message generated if you assign the same key
to two actions, and only one action is performed.
Keybindings help text is not adjusted to what is set
in the ini file.

+1:
A turn counter or some indication of wait turns passing...

+1:
Be nice to assign more than one key to an action...

+1: An alternative pickup key that never picks up weapons
only unloads them, but picks up everything else.

+1: Don't make the same loading sound when they try to
switch to a weapon they don't have.

+1:
Real time clock timer and a fast player alternative high
score list AND/OR added to standard high score scoring.

xp display is good

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 8:42:55 AM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Freakin' awesome, well done.
>
> :-D
>
> > Full play test
>
>> report later but love the sounds (should add
>> the bang bang bang noise and slurps in the
>> intro), and the credits are nice too.
>
> Credits?
>
>> I would of done the music in the ini file
>> without extension and look for mp3 first
>> in not exist goto mid named the same - so
>> players don't have to edit ini file.
>
> I made it as it is, cause the names that are available now, are the
> original ones, and don't need any fidling around if you just download
> them from somewhere else.

hmmm I didn't explain that very well...

MUSIC4 = "music/e1m1"

if e1m1.mp3 exist use it, otherwise use e1m1.mid
requires renaming "11 - hangar.mid" to e1m1.mid

>> Prefer game not close down at finish, I
>> add this to batch file;
>>
>> :label
>> doomrl
>> goto label
>>
>> alt-enter and click x to quit. Ugly :)
>
> LOL! My friend had such an autoexec.bat on his DOS machine!
>
> If you want I can add an option in the ini-file -- RESTARTATDEATH ?

Yes please :)

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 8:47:01 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
> KK...

Yes AR? ;-)

> +1:
> "mode con cp select=473" returns
> The code page specified is not valid.

Hmm... No idea :-)

> -1:
> TAB - target cycle is in the keybindings text after
> all. ;) like twice or so ! doh

I don't get it ?

> -1:
> You mention redefinition of keybindings in ini file
> so I can make 'G' the Unload command. I think more
> users if they don't have to edit ini file though.

What do you suggest?

> +1:
> If have a bleeding state - need to have a bandage
> command feature?

Nah, that would be complicating things.

> +1:
> RunOverItems = TRUE; - fair nuff :)

:-D

> auto names is cool too

You just discovered it? ;-)

> But % gibs still stop the run and you can't
> run over them even standing adjacent, or if
> standing on them and there is an item next
> door (even with above on)... ie needs a bit
> of work.

Okay, okay, I'll do that :)

> +1:
> Mention on save that it will be loaded on next level.
> "You camp on the way down the stairs" or something...
> or a confirmation ... load/save works though...

Hmm, ok.

> +1:
> No error message generated if you assign the same key
> to two actions, and only one action is performed.

It might be hard to check on that. But I can see to it.

> Keybindings help text is not adjusted to what is set
> in the ini file.

True, so isn't the manual.txt. I might add "Default" to it tough.

> +1:
> A turn counter or some indication of wait turns passing...

Hmm, where?

> +1:
> Be nice to assign more than one key to an action...

Unfortunately that's an issue with Valkyrie I think.. I'll look to that.

> +1: An alternative pickup key that never picks up weapons
> only unloads them, but picks up everything else.

Oh come on! Soooo easy?

> +1: Don't make the same loading sound when they try to
> switch to a weapon they don't have.

Hmm, ok.

> +1:
> Real time clock timer and a fast player alternative high
> score list AND/OR added to standard high score scoring.

??

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"Come on, Kornel. 11 years and no binary? And it's not
vapourware?" -- Mike Blackney

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 8:48:14 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:

> hmmm I didn't explain that very well...
>
> MUSIC4 = "music/e1m1"
>
> if e1m1.mp3 exist use it, otherwise use e1m1.mid
> requires renaming "11 - hangar.mid" to e1m1.mid

Yes, but this way, the MIDI's wont work "out of the box".

>> LOL! My friend had such an autoexec.bat on his DOS machine!
>>
>> If you want I can add an option in the ini-file -- RESTARTATDEATH ?
>

> Yes please :)

Ok ;-)

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

Bateau

May 1, 2005, 9:06:08 AM5/1/05
gr...@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) wrote:
>On Sun, 01 May 2005 00:39:13 +0200, Kornel Kisielewicz
><kisie...@gazeta.pl> tried to confuse everyone with this message:
>
>>AngeloB wrote:
>>> Great. The sound FX just give that extra-punch to the game. I thought
>>> the blood stains in the floor and walls were a cool feature, the one
>>> item in one space only also added to the effect (various characters
>>> appearing at the same time around the corpse emulates a body
>>> explosion). Now the sound FX ;) Nice idea, indeed.
>>
>>:-D
>>
>>> Also, any level design improvments are always welcome. :)
>>
>>And there will be more to come.
>>
>>> Btw, I like the ascii-pics of the monsters. Would it possible to, for
>>> example, put the monster's pic that killed you in the mortem file? ;)
>>
>>Well it would, but I think it isn't a good idea. Those ASCII pics look
>>cool because they are coulored. Without colors the comletely don't look
>>like the oroginal :-/
>
>Well, people at alt.ascii-art could do them better...

That's exactly what I was going to say. Where's ABCGi? He is more
respected there than me :D

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 9:25:27 AM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> DOOM-RL - ver 0.9.8 WIN-S on Win XP - playtest

*SNIP*

>> GOOD
>> ----
>> * Sound and music! Esp sound is atmospheric.
>
> Noticed the stereo/distance effects? :-D

Yeah cool!

>> * Combat shotgun is the bomb - great strategy.
>> * Performance of DOS window is fine on my high end PC.
>
> It works a lot better fullscreen tough. But still, I'm happy it works
> out of the box on XP machines.

True... and it is a little slower on a lower spec machine
in window mode.

>> * Game comes with midi files so works out of box.
>> WAV files should always accompany every release IMO.
>
> But they're licenced :-(. I don't know how much of an infraction is
> that. Maybe a confirmation page that appears after clicking download
> would be enough? I mean that those MIDIs and WAVs are available at any
> editing site, and I just packaged them in...

I thought Id released Doom into the public domain or
open source. Or is this just the source code.

>> * Love the post mortem stuff, prev dead warriors etc
>
> :-). I wonder what more can be added there.

#times bleeding
#times under 10% health
#real time clock of playtime
#real time/turn average

>> * Targeting system is excellent
>
> But buggy still :-D
>
>> * Good 'n hard!
>
> Many people say it's too easy :-). I think Nightmare mode is in order...

hehe bring it on!

>> * Sounds are great for shooting into the dark without
>> the need to use text notification!
>
> LOL! True. You just hear: Bang! Urgggh!
>
>> Make sure monsters do actually respond to being shot
>> in this way or its a bit of a exploit.
>
> It's a good exploit :-) -- like playing Quake by the ear...

heh... I guess that is using the extra ammo to advantage.

>> ISSUE [fix]
>> -----
>> * '.' wait command should also pump the combat shotgun
>
> It doesn't?

Nope.

>> * Pressing the med kit letter in the inventory should
>> use the health kit.
>
> It doesn't??

Nope.

>> * Equip screen should not escape when you change slot.
>
> This is needed. I don't want any offscreen deaths. And changing a slot
> must take a turn.

Ah I see. Fair enough.

>> * User should not have to fiddle with ini files etc
>> To appeal to more than just us high end geeks :)
>
> You mean an "options" menu instead?

Yeah, if you want even greater popularity you need
the lowest common denominator ;)

>> * English on intro needs corrections...
>> "who supposed" = "who were supposed"
>
> Where did you find that?

1st or 2nd page of intro...

>> I could be more pedantic but I won't ;P
>
> Oh, do be :-). I'll run in a pedantic person anyway some time, so it's
> better to correct it sooner :-D

hmmmm - you asked for it - [pedantic mode=ON]

>> Should there be a time limit before it continues
>> to next screen instead of waiting for SPACE?
>
> ??

On the intro, should it go to the next page automatically
after 10 seconds.

>> * Changing from inventory screen to equipment screen
>> i tried to press e but this tried to use item e
>> = got attacked and died
>
> ??

When you press i you get inventory screen, a user might
expect pressing e would goto equipment screen but instead
it uses item e. Not sure what you can do about that other
than make the 'e'quipment key something like keypad
enter.

>> * Post mortem should not say "There finally he..."
>> when he only fought a few levels... also should
>> the PC always be a male??? ;)
>
> I don't know -- adding a gender choice would be just another keypress
> before you enter battle...

hahaha! RAND(sex) = yes please...

>> * U for use lever means can't use item on lever
>> (existing bug!)
>
> You should use the inventory screen then.

Touche!

>> * Numpad '.' does not work with num lock off but
>> movement only works with num lock off meaning
>> main keyboard needed for wait command.
>
> I'll see to that.
>
>> * Interesting animation on black screen occurs
>> while 'u'sing med kits in the middle of combat.
>> In dos window.
>
> Not only I think. It's the way the game handles redraws. I'm not sure
> that can be easily fixed.

Doesn't really need to be, its kinda psychedelic.

>> * ',' run command stops at corpse - debatable -
>> but when I reach the corpse I should run
>> over it the second time I engage run.
>
> Okay.

See other post, it also doesn't work with run over
items turned true.

>> * Is TAB to cycle targeting in the keybinding?
>> It could also be on the line Fire -- Choose target...
>> [f]ire [TAB] [ESC]
>
> True :-).
>
>> When I cycle to the 2nd of two monsters, fire,
>> then on next round it is on the 2nd monster
>> and I press tab it is still on the 2nd monster...
>> then subsequent tabs work properly (ie that bit
>> of code has not yet been told the current target is
>> not the default closest one).
>
> Aaaah. I will need to look at that ;-).
>
>> * Post mortem General section does not mention those
>> that ran away! 'Q'uit... ;)
>
> Aaaah!
>
>> Consider saving each mortem.txt file as
>> mortem_playername.txt ?
>
> Good idea :-). But only for windows version :-D. I'll also move them to
> a separate directory.

sweet!

>> CHANGE REQUESTS [mod]
>> ---------------
>> * I should be able to drop currently held weapon...
>> this should be faster than 1/2 of a weapon switch :)
>> SHIFT weapon quick key would be fine way of doing
>> this (drops current weapon and switches to selected
>> weapon)
>
> Hmm... I don't know if it wouldn't be just painful.

How about 'D'rop to drop an equipped item? Or just 'D'rop
to instantly drop equipped weapon? (since you don't want
to drop boots or armour).

>> * Sound when player missing?
>
> ?

When PC misses an opponent in melee make a missing
sound?

>> * When player moves monster aim should suffer a penalty.
>> You prob. already have this, but if I'm out in the
>> open and stand still the monsters should get more
>> accurate after their first shot - much like playing
>> Doom where you strafe left and right between firing.
>
> I don't get it. What's wrong with the way it is now? Now only when you
> move, there's a chance that he will target the square you *were* on,
> instead the square you *are* on.

Ah good - I thought something like that was going on...
that's perfect!

>> * Don't repeat the music on a level, let it play through
>> once per level... just the noises by themselves can
>> also be cool and creepy! Or music toggle: on, off
>> for rest of level, mute.
>
> Hmm. I will have to rethink that :-). I also thought about one track per
> 4 levels, and dedicated tracks for special levels.

Its no biggie, just being pedantic! I note there is a mute
in the ini file.

>> * Target stay at same empty point aimed at last turn.
>> I often shoot into the dark a full clip to "test the
>> waters" ;)
>
> AI needs a redesign, I know ;-)

Oh but what I meant was my target aim should stay where
it was last turn if no monsters around so I can "strafe"
across empty space.

>> * Character screen ('@') can show things like effect of
>> current tactic setting (cautious, aggressive) and
>> break down of all PC stats and to-hit changes etc
>
> Yeah.

sweet.

>> RFE [add]
>> ---
>> * Dual pistols! etc
>
> Oh come on ;-). How do you imagine that interface wise?

Press '1' equip pistol
Press '1' again equip dual pistol (if 2nd pistol exist)

Since equipping two pistols should take twice as long as
one this is fine ;) And if you get caught with only one
gun out you might just start using that.

Press 'r'eload reloads first pistol if required
Press 'r'eload reloads second pistol if first pistol full

In the words of Ben Stiller: "DO IT!!!!" ;)

>> * Kick command - if successful knocks monster back a
>> certain distance (depending on str and monster) and
>> may stun monster for that turn. Great for pushing
>> monsters into acid - or kicking them back then
>> giving them both barrels - or kicking them in
>> front of a chaingun.
>
> I don't know how better that would be instead of just blasting him. And
> do you imagine a kicked baron/demon/arachnotron/cyberdemon would buldge
> at all (or feel that kick at all)?

True :)

>> Also kicking barrels will
>> slide them x distance based on strength and do
>> a small amount of damage to the barrels integrity -
>> allowing a barrel against a wall to be kicked till
>> it blows up or for a weak barrel to blow up in the
>> PCs face when kicked.
>
> That's useless :-)
>
>> Or something along these lines.
>> Kicking one barrel into another explodes them both :)
>
> Also useless, cause you'l get in the blast of both for sure...
>
> I may consider the kick command, but only if you come up with at least 3
> realy usefull applications of it.

Yeah it was more a kinda cool "play" thing - probably a
waste of your time. Inspired by Action Quake 2 really ;) You'd
run out of bullets and then just kick the guy off the roof...
or kick him and then shoot him while he was in the air.

>> * Do something interesting on various names entered
>> as player names - just easter eggs, nothing too
>> unbalancing. You already do the cheat codes right??? ;)
>
> Actually they were removed when I changed the input system :-/

ah

>> Colour the name differently to indicate user has
>> found an easter egg ("John Romero" "Id" etc)
>
> Hmm... I *do* have an idea for a few easter eggs ;-D

sweet

>> * Add tip section to level up screen - random tip such
>> as "Remember you can 'U'nload a weapon from the
>> ground to take just its ammo" or "Barrels hurt!" etc.
>> Helps gets noobs in faster, and is kind of an adding
>> experience to the player AND the PC.
>
> Good one ;-). And easier then updating the manual :-D
>
>> * '5' on numpad to do something (pick up?) - sacrilegious
>> I know - prob just used to it now from playing the tombs
>> (btw Martin if your reading - see how the sounds in this
>> really add to the game!)
>
> Shouldn't it be the "wait" key?

Dumb suggestion, forget it, anyway the ini file can be
edited to whatever I want.

>> * Dive command - SHIFT any movement key dives the PC in
>> that direction, moving two squares and being harder to
>> hit, with whatever time penalty balances it out?
>
> Hmm... i don't know. May be fun, but poses some problems.

Yeah a bit out there. The ideas get more crazy the further into
the RFE you go ;P welcome to the rabbit hole...

>> * '@' character screen could have ASCII picture of bloodied
>> face depending on damage status.
>
> LOL :-). I don't have so much time and patience with ASCII tough...

I should get in touch with ascii art group...

>> * Pets - fellow marines = cannon fodder! ;)
>
> LOL2! Kinda undoomish tough ;-).

Yeah, but then again, fits the theme and story. Lot
of work for questionable benefit though.

>> * Do the monsters fight each other when they hurt each other?
>
> Not yet ;-).

That will be great.

>> Great great great game - much harder and therefore much more
>> replayability, as of course defeating it does take a shine off
>> the challenge factor. That seems to be enough feedback :)
>
> I want someone to post a YASD or YAVP on rgr.misc! I'm eager to see how
> people play...

Haven't done either yet :) Also don't really have any exciting
screenies either yet!

>> I'll let you know if I notice any major problems but it all
>> seems pretty clean and professional!
>
> Thanks!

No thank you!

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 9:34:05 AM5/1/05
Bateau wrote:
> gr...@mail.ru (Timofei Shatrov) wrote:
>>On Sun, 01 May 2005 00:39:13 +0200, Kornel Kisielewicz
>><kisie...@gazeta.pl> tried to confuse everyone with this message:
>>>AngeloB wrote:
*SNIP*

>>>Well it would, but I think it isn't a good idea. Those ASCII pics look
>>>cool because they are coulored. Without colors the comletely don't look
>>>like the oroginal :-/
>>
>>Well, people at alt.ascii-art could do them better...
>
> That's exactly what I was going to say. Where's ABCGi? He is more
> respected there than me :D

Sif not respect Bateau :) I can ask - but what are we
going to ask for?

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 9:41:40 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
>> That's exactly what I was going to say. Where's ABCGi? He is more
>> respected there than me :D
>

> Sif not respect Bateau :) I can ask - but what are we
> going to ask for?

To be honest, I was thinking about ASCII images of Doom Weapons and
items. I don't have an idea tough, how to plug such "more info on item"
to the interface. Also, remakes of the monsters might be cool -- but I
doubt they would color them...

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 9:42:47 AM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> +1:
>> "mode con cp select=473" returns
>> The code page specified is not valid.
>
> Hmm... No idea :-)

That's the error I get running your batch file,
if I do it line by line.

>> -1:
>> TAB - target cycle is in the keybindings text after
>> all. ;) like twice or so ! doh
>
> I don't get it ?

I was saying I'm an idiot :)

>> -1:
>> You mention redefinition of keybindings in ini file
>> so I can make 'G' the Unload command. I think more
>> users if they don't have to edit ini file though.
>
> What do you suggest?

Like you said an options menu that effectively
just edits the ini file... bit of effort though
for not much gameplay reward. Depends how "perfect"
you want this thing.... muwhahahah!

>> +1:
>> If have a bleeding state - need to have a bandage
>> command feature?
>
> Nah, that would be complicating things.

True. Of course taking a med kit would save
you from bleeding to death - does it also
stop the bleeding - it should.

>> +1:
>> RunOverItems = TRUE; - fair nuff :)
>
> :-D
>
>> auto names is cool too
>
> You just discovered it? ;-)

Yeah - mesa stoopid ;)

>> But % gibs still stop the run and you can't
>> run over them even standing adjacent, or if
>> standing on them and there is an item next
>> door (even with above on)... ie needs a bit
>> of work.
>
> Okay, okay, I'll do that :)

Did I mention that gibs stop the run command...
not sure if I did... ;P

>> +1:
>> Mention on save that it will be loaded on next level.
>> "You camp on the way down the stairs" or something...
>> or a confirmation ... load/save works though...
>
> Hmm, ok.

kinda pedantic though isn't it... I just got a surprise
first time I loaded to be on a new level!

>> +1:
>> No error message generated if you assign the same key
>> to two actions, and only one action is performed.
>
> It might be hard to check on that. But I can see to it.

It is kind of easy to do when manually editing... well
for non-geeks anyway.

>> Keybindings help text is not adjusted to what is set
>> in the ini file.
>
> True, so isn't the manual.txt. I might add "Default" to it tough.

Yeah bit easier to say "Default Keybindings" ;)

>> +1:
>> A turn counter or some indication of wait turns passing...
>
> Hmm, where?

bottom right...?

>> +1:
>> Be nice to assign more than one key to an action...
>
> Unfortunately that's an issue with Valkyrie I think.. I'll look to that.

Only nice to have anyway.

>> +1: An alternative pickup key that never picks up weapons
>> only unloads them, but picks up everything else.
>
> Oh come on! Soooo easy?

True - mesa lazy...

How about an auto pickup mode - actually forget that.

>> +1: Don't make the same loading sound when they try to
>> switch to a weapon they don't have.
>
> Hmm, ok.
>
>> +1:
>> Real time clock timer and a fast player alternative high
>> score list AND/OR added to standard high score scoring.
>
> ??

Like speed chess. A real time clock counts as you play, to
see how fast you can defeat the game. Or on harder skill
levels you have to find the stairs before timer runs out
or your health starts draining ("poison gas is filling
the chamber!").

These are all really just extras - the game is brilliant
in its own right - I'm just finding whatever I can, which
isn't much!

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 9:44:59 AM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>

>> hmmm I didn't explain that very well...
>>
>> MUSIC4 = "music/e1m1"
>>
>> if e1m1.mp3 exist use it, otherwise use e1m1.mid
>> requires renaming "11 - hangar.mid" to e1m1.mid
>
> Yes, but this way, the MIDI's wont work "out of the box".

Ah. But midi's so small - when will you ever not
distribute them with your game?

Anyway I'm just being fussy - but most ppl will want
MP3's.

>>> LOL! My friend had such an autoexec.bat on his DOS machine!
>>>
>>> If you want I can add an option in the ini-file -- RESTARTATDEATH ?
>>
>> Yes please :)
>
> Ok ;-)

Ta :)

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 9:53:23 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
>> But they're licenced :-(. I don't know how much of an infraction is
>> that. Maybe a confirmation page that appears after clicking download
>> would be enough? I mean that those MIDIs and WAVs are available at any
>> editing site, and I just packaged them in...
>
> I thought Id released Doom into the public domain or
> open source. Or is this just the source code.

Just the source code. You can't get all 3 episodes legaly without paying.

>> :-). I wonder what more can be added there.
>
> #times bleeding

I don't know if it's of any revelance ;-)

> #times under 10% health

This OTOH may be -- although it would be hard to count -- example -- you
get shot, go 7%hp (check). Now you get shot again -- 6% (check? if not,
then how to differentiate between the former? -- ok, a flag), now medkit
-- 31%. Hit again, hit again -- 10% (check?)

> #real time clock of playtime

Hard ;-). I'm not much into reltime clocks in FP. But doable.

> #real time/turn average

Kheh ;-). Would be in miliseconds I guess...

>>> ISSUE [fix]
>>> -----
>>> * '.' wait command should also pump the combat shotgun
>>
>> It doesn't?
>
> Nope.

Ooops.

>>> * Pressing the med kit letter in the inventory should
>>> use the health kit.
>>
>> It doesn't??
>
> Nope.

Ooops.

>>> * User should not have to fiddle with ini files etc
>>> To appeal to more than just us high end geeks :)
>>
>> You mean an "options" menu instead?
>
> Yeah, if you want even greater popularity you need
> the lowest common denominator ;)

Ahhh. But I'd rather work on the AI or DunGen instead...

>>> * English on intro needs corrections...
>>> "who supposed" = "who were supposed"
>>
>> Where did you find that?
>
> 1st or 2nd page of intro...

Ok.

>>> Should there be a time limit before it continues
>>> to next screen instead of waiting for SPACE?
>>
>> ??
>
> On the intro, should it go to the next page automatically
> after 10 seconds.

Not everybody reads so fast :-D. Okay, okay, kiddin.

> When you press i you get inventory screen, a user might
> expect pressing e would goto equipment screen but instead
> it uses item e. Not sure what you can do about that other
> than make the 'e'quipment key something like keypad
> enter.

Dunno. I'll see to that.

>> Not only I think. It's the way the game handles redraws. I'm not sure
>> that can be easily fixed.
>
> Doesn't really need to be, its kinda psychedelic.

Kheh, it just draws what you notice at that moment ;-).

>>> * Target stay at same empty point aimed at last turn.
>>> I often shoot into the dark a full clip to "test the
>>> waters" ;)
>>
>> AI needs a redesign, I know ;-)
>
> Oh but what I meant was my target aim should stay where
> it was last turn if no monsters around so I can "strafe"
> across empty space.

So if no monsters around, then target relative last square?

>> Oh come on ;-). How do you imagine that interface wise?
>

> Press '1' equip pistol
> Press '1' again equip dual pistol (if 2nd pistol exist)

No way! I won't go into the two weapons under one key pitfall again! Die
QuickKey code!

> Press 'r'eload reloads first pistol if required
> Press 'r'eload reloads second pistol if first pistol full
>
> In the words of Ben Stiller: "DO IT!!!!" ;)

Uhhh....

>>> Great great great game - much harder and therefore much more
>>> replayability, as of course defeating it does take a shine off
>>> the challenge factor. That seems to be enough feedback :)
>>
>> I want someone to post a YASD or YAVP on rgr.misc! I'm eager to see
>> how people play...
>
> Haven't done either yet :) Also don't really have any exciting
> screenies either yet!

Please do! ;-)

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

Darshan Shaligram

May 1, 2005, 9:54:07 AM5/1/05
ABCGi <ab...@yahoo.com> writes:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> ABCGi wrote:

>>> "mode con cp select=473" returns
>>> The code page specified is not valid.

>> Hmm... No idea :-)

> That's the error I get running your batch file,

That should be "437", not "473".

--
Darshan Shaligram <scin...@gmail.com> Deus vult

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 10:00:21 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>>> -1:
>>> TAB - target cycle is in the keybindings text after
>>> all. ;) like twice or so ! doh
>>

>> I don't get it ?
>
> I was saying I'm an idiot :)

An that's a -1? Unfair :-D

>>> -1:
>>> You mention redefinition of keybindings in ini file
>>> so I can make 'G' the Unload command. I think more
>>> users if they don't have to edit ini file though.
>>
>> What do you suggest?
>
> Like you said an options menu that effectively
> just edits the ini file... bit of effort though
> for not much gameplay reward. Depends how "perfect"
> you want this thing.... muwhahahah!

True ;-). I may make something like an Config-File-Edit module for
Valkyrie though -- and it would be reusable for
DiabloRL/GenRogue/Anyother game I make/Anyone using Vaklyrie.

>>> +1:
>>> If have a bleeding state - need to have a bandage
>>> command feature?
>>

>> Nah, that would be complicating things.
>
> True. Of course taking a med kit would save
> you from bleeding to death - does it also
> stop the bleeding - it should.

It does ;-)

>>> auto names is cool too
>>
>> You just discovered it? ;-)
>
> Yeah - mesa stoopid ;)

You know ABCGi is among them ;-).

>>> +1: An alternative pickup key that never picks up weapons
>>> only unloads them, but picks up everything else.
>>
>> Oh come on! Soooo easy?
>
> True - mesa lazy...
>
> How about an auto pickup mode - actually forget that.

LOL ;-)
Considering the limited inventory space, that's not wise.

> Like speed chess. A real time clock counts as you play, to
> see how fast you can defeat the game. Or on harder skill
> levels you have to find the stairs before timer runs out
> or your health starts draining ("poison gas is filling
> the chamber!").

Fast in realtime you mean? Cool ;-)
BTW -- I was thinking about lava/acid flooding levels...

> These are all really just extras - the game is brilliant
> in its own right - I'm just finding whatever I can, which
> isn't much!

But good. I need to work mostly on replayability now (it's low) any ideas?

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"Due to Pascal's original purpose as a teaching language it forces one
to learn good habits - and those good habits stay with you, even when
you later migrate to a much more forgiving language." - Sherm Pendley

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 10:01:05 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> Yes, but this way, the MIDI's wont work "out of the box".
>
> Ah. But midi's so small - when will you ever not
> distribute them with your game?

Copyright issues :-(.

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"Well, the philosophy of the World of Shadows is based on most of the
degenerate, immoral and foremost amoral philosophical beliefs of our
world exagarated to the maximum." --Anubis

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 10:01:45 AM5/1/05
Darshan Shaligram wrote:

> ABCGi <ab...@yahoo.com> writes:
>>That's the error I get running your batch file,
>
> That should be "437", not "473".

Thanks!

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 10:24:40 AM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, but this way, the MIDI's wont work "out of the box".
>>
>> Ah. But midi's so small - when will you ever not
>> distribute them with your game?
>
> Copyright issues :-(.

RFE withdrawn! :)

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 10:23:53 AM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>>> But they're licenced :-(. I don't know how much of an infraction is
>>> that. Maybe a confirmation page that appears after clicking download
>>> would be enough? I mean that those MIDIs and WAVs are available at
>>> any editing site, and I just packaged them in...
>>
>> I thought Id released Doom into the public domain or
>> open source. Or is this just the source code.
>
> Just the source code. You can't get all 3 episodes legaly without paying.

Oh I see. Bummer. *backs out of room*

>>> :-). I wonder what more can be added there.
>>
>> #times bleeding
>
> I don't know if it's of any revelance ;-)

I love little stats like that, and its not hard to collect.

>> #times under 10% health
>
> This OTOH may be -- although it would be hard to count -- example -- you
> get shot, go 7%hp (check). Now you get shot again -- 6% (check? if not,
> then how to differentiate between the former? -- ok, a flag), now medkit
> -- 31%. Hit again, hit again -- 10% (check?)

The idea is how many times you get close to death. So I guess
back up above 50% will reset the check.

#times near death:

>> #real time clock of playtime
>
> Hard ;-). I'm not much into reltime clocks in FP. But doable.
>
>> #real time/turn average
>
> Kheh ;-). Would be in miliseconds I guess...

Yeah this idea is a bit wacky.

*SNIP*

>>> You mean an "options" menu instead?
>>
>> Yeah, if you want even greater popularity you need
>> the lowest common denominator ;)
>
> Ahhh. But I'd rather work on the AI or DunGen instead...

True - don't want to waste your time.

*SNIP*

>>> ??
>>
>> On the intro, should it go to the next page automatically
>> after 10 seconds.
>
> Not everybody reads so fast :-D. Okay, okay, kiddin.

Not very important anyway.

*SNIP*

>>> AI needs a redesign, I know ;-)
>>
>> Oh but what I meant was my target aim should stay where
>> it was last turn if no monsters around so I can "strafe"
>> across empty space.
>
> So if no monsters around, then target relative last square?

I shoot at an empty square, if no monsters around
leave target at same square next time I hit 'f'
rather than reseting it back to my body. I can
then adjust my aim slightly to strafe the black space.

>>> Oh come on ;-). How do you imagine that interface wise?
>>
>> Press '1' equip pistol
>> Press '1' again equip dual pistol (if 2nd pistol exist)
>
> No way! I won't go into the two weapons under one key pitfall again! Die
> QuickKey code!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! Now I remember...

SHIFT 1 to dual wield? There is a RL that already
does dual wield with guns and it works sweet.

>> Press 'r'eload reloads first pistol if required
>> Press 'r'eload reloads second pistol if first pistol full
>>
>> In the words of Ben Stiller: "DO IT!!!!" ;)
>
> Uhhh....

"Starskey and Hutch"

>>> I want someone to post a YASD or YAVP on rgr.misc! I'm eager to see
>>> how people play...
>>
>> Haven't done either yet :) Also don't really have any exciting
>> screenies either yet!
>
> Please do! ;-)

You got it... thanks again for the game.

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 10:30:02 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> I don't know if it's of any revelance ;-)
>
> I love little stats like that, and its not hard to collect.

But I think it would be statisticaly average -- it doesn't depend on
anything except RNG.

>>> #times under 10% health
>>
>> This OTOH may be -- although it would be hard to count -- example --
>> you get shot, go 7%hp (check). Now you get shot again -- 6% (check? if
>> not, then how to differentiate between the former? -- ok, a flag), now
>> medkit -- 31%. Hit again, hit again -- 10% (check?)
>
> The idea is how many times you get close to death. So I guess
> back up above 50% will reset the check.

Ah. Hmm... two flags I guess.

>>> Oh but what I meant was my target aim should stay where
>>> it was last turn if no monsters around so I can "strafe"
>>> across empty space.
>>
>> So if no monsters around, then target relative last square?
>
> I shoot at an empty square, if no monsters around
> leave target at same square next time I hit 'f'
> rather than reseting it back to my body. I can
> then adjust my aim slightly to strafe the black space.

Hmm, ok.

>>> Press '1' equip pistol
>>> Press '1' again equip dual pistol (if 2nd pistol exist)
>>
>> No way! I won't go into the two weapons under one key pitfall again!
>> Die QuickKey code!
>
> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! Now I remember...
>
> SHIFT 1 to dual wield? There is a RL that already
> does dual wield with guns and it works sweet.

Don't you see that that is a QuickKey monster, just in disguise? ;-)

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"It's much easier to make an army of dumb good people than to
make one single smart good guy..." -- DarkGod

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 10:31:08 AM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Darshan Shaligram wrote:
>
>> ABCGi <ab...@yahoo.com> writes:
>>
>>> That's the error I get running your batch file,
>>
>> That should be "437", not "473".
>
> Thanks!

Tested and works!

Status for device CON:
----------------------
Columns: 80
Keyboard rate: 31
Keyboard delay: 1
Code page: 437

Bug: Can't save on stairs to special level :(

Idea: be able to eat corpses while berserk
for small amounts of health - 'g' when on
corpse.

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 10:46:40 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
> Bug: Can't save on stairs to special level :(

Yes. I know.

> Idea: be able to eat corpses while berserk
> for small amounts of health - 'g' when on
> corpse.

Oh come on ;-). Or maybe, as a small hidden feature :-D

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"If hackers will ever use virtual reality, it would show a bunch
of text terminals floating around them..." -- The Sheep

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 11:01:57 AM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:

>>> I don't get it ?
>>
>> I was saying I'm an idiot :)
>
> An that's a -1? Unfair :-D

Double idiot ;)

*SNIP*

>>> Nah, that would be complicating things.
>>
>> True. Of course taking a med kit would save
>> you from bleeding to death - does it also
>> stop the bleeding - it should.
>
> It does ;-)

Ah great - I withdraw RFE :)

>>> You just discovered it? ;-)
>>
>> Yeah - mesa stoopid ;)
>
> You know ABCGi is among them ;-).

I'm still waiting for it to come up!

>>> Oh come on! Soooo easy?
>>
>> True - mesa lazy...
>>
>> How about an auto pickup mode - actually forget that.
>
> LOL ;-)
> Considering the limited inventory space, that's not wise.

Yeah.

>> Like speed chess. A real time clock counts as you play, to
>> see how fast you can defeat the game. Or on harder skill
>> levels you have to find the stairs before timer runs out
>> or your health starts draining ("poison gas is filling
>> the chamber!").
>
> Fast in realtime you mean? Cool ;-)
> BTW -- I was thinking about lava/acid flooding levels...

heh I hadn't thought of it quite like that - but actually
that is really cool... would really make it feel more
Doomy to have that real time element creep in ;)

>> These are all really just extras - the game is brilliant
>> in its own right - I'm just finding whatever I can, which
>> isn't much!
>
> But good. I need to work mostly on replayability now (it's low) any ideas?

Before I start - mortem file should include last screen
shot when died. Just had a YASD I could of used!

Take 'em of leave 'em.... ;)

Skill modes.

Electro gun!

Real time timer challenge (mentioned previously) - some
variation on real time counter... even if just recorded
playtime on high score list. Internet based high score
list?

Difficulty level is high, which is good - means they will
play it more to try and solve it. I stopped playing the
first one as soon as I defeated it.

Have about 5 different styles of standard rooms. Secret
rooms and secret cookies on set levels. One way of
playing Doom was to press space on all the walls looking
for secrets - usually there was some clue.

The idea I had before about defeating the game in the
first skill level is the only way to access the game
in the second skill level - but you only get one
crack at it! Then you have to start for first skill
level again. The one posting the Ultimate Victory
defeating Nightmare will present the secret code
word you bury in your "unhackable" code :)

Or just unlock the skill levels Max Payne style would
be nicer.

Where your previous marines die, they are revived as
undead marines and fight against your next character
when/if they reach that level! ie bones rip off.

Be able to play as any of the monster types instead
of marine...

Optional challenge victory types supported by system and
reported in mortem file as;

CHALLENGE MODES (all checked after first stairs)
---------------
"No melee" - failed
"No berserk" - failed
"All special levels" - passed!
"always aggressive" - failed
etc

SHOCKFROST IDEA ZONE :)
--------------------

Marine classes... certain starting mix of 3 traits.
And different starting equipment. Each different
class is a different colour.
This is unlocked only at the 2nd skill level after
the player defeats the first skill level (since 3
starting traits will help against the tougher skill
level).

Marine units, you select a marine core that your PC
comes from. This is unlocked at the third skill level
where you need even more help. It has 20 "bodies"
of different types of classes. The history of that
unit is in the mortem file. "I was the last of unit
alpha-bravo-six, and I was going straight to hell,
damn you demons!" The player tries to get as many
members of his unit to complete the game as possible -
or at least one! Each marine unit starts with +1 to
a certain trait. Your buddies are seen in a dwindling
group of '@' outside the Phobos base! Special marine
unit high score table.

Elite traits are unlocked at nightmare level.
Assassin trait: +5% to instant melee kill chance.
etc Rail gun and sniper rifle unlocked at
nightmare level??? Zoom mode might be cool, it
is a circle on the far end of the map, but you
can't see anything around you! Takes a turn to
go in and out of zoom mode.

Campaign mode unlocked after nightmare. Played
at nightmare level. Build up base with 100 marines
"lives" to use - progress remembered between
lives. Number of enemies up 300%.

Stuff like that? ...

Twisted One

May 1, 2005, 11:04:41 AM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> Yeah, if you want even greater popularity you need
>> the lowest common denominator ;)
>
> Ahhh. But I'd rather work on the AI or DunGen instead...

AI? This is DooMRL we're discussing. It isn't very doomlike if the
monsters are *smart*. ;)

Twisted One

May 1, 2005, 11:08:32 AM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> Like you said an options menu that effectively
>> just edits the ini file... bit of effort though
>> for not much gameplay reward. Depends how "perfect"
>> you want this thing.... muwhahahah!
>
> True ;-). I may make something like an Config-File-Edit module for
> Valkyrie though -- and it would be reusable for
> DiabloRL/GenRogue/Anyother game I make/Anyone using Vaklyrie.

Well, then, we can expect to see it, oh, probably shortly after
GenRogue's first release. ;)

Twisted One

May 1, 2005, 11:12:05 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
>>> In the words of Ben Stiller: "DO IT!!!!" ;)
>>
>> Uhhh....
>
> "Starskey and Hutch"

Who?, Who?, and Who?

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 11:15:04 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
>> Fast in realtime you mean? Cool ;-)
>> BTW -- I was thinking about lava/acid flooding levels...
>
> heh I hadn't thought of it quite like that - but actually
> that is really cool... would really make it feel more
> Doomy to have that real time element creep in ;)

You would be literaly "Running from Evil" (the title from one of Dooms
MIDIs". And yeah, that MIDI would be great for such a level...

>> But good. I need to work mostly on replayability now (it's low) any
>> ideas?
>
> Before I start - mortem file should include last screen
> shot when died. Just had a YASD I could of used!

It would need to be coloured though -- maybe I'll make the game leave a
seperate file with a Valkyrie Color Coded screenshot of the death scene
-- and a small program to view valkyrie screenshots (and convert them
into plain ASCII).

?

> Electro gun!

Kheh, there's been that discussion. In the votes, the Lightning gun got
the least votes, but I would be for it, cause that would make water
useful :-).

> Real time timer challenge (mentioned previously) - some
> variation on real time counter... even if just recorded
> playtime on high score list. Internet based high score
> list?

Hmm...

> Difficulty level is high, which is good - means they will
> play it more to try and solve it. I stopped playing the
> first one as soon as I defeated it.

Yeah.

> Have about 5 different styles of standard rooms. Secret
> rooms and secret cookies on set levels. One way of
> playing Doom was to press space on all the walls looking
> for secrets - usually there was some clue.

Secrets are hard to simulate if you have a fixed size map, that is
filled all the way ;-).

> Where your previous marines die, they are revived as
> undead marines and fight against your next character
> when/if they reach that level! ie bones rip off.

Good ;-). But somebody mailed me with a better idea -- named Lost Souls :-D

> Be able to play as any of the monster types instead
> of marine...

Nah.

> Optional challenge victory types supported by system and
> reported in mortem file as;

True.

> CHALLENGE MODES (all checked after first stairs)
> ---------------
> "No melee" - failed
> "No berserk" - failed
> "All special levels" - passed!
> "always aggressive" - failed
> etc

:-D. Yes, and I have a few of my own -- eg. Only Pistol challenge :-D

> SHOCKFROST IDEA ZONE :)
> --------------------
> Marine classes... certain starting mix of 3 traits.
> And different starting equipment. Each different
> class is a different colour.

Nah, that would go away with the idea of Different armor colors...

> This is unlocked only at the 2nd skill level after
> the player defeats the first skill level (since 3
> starting traits will help against the tougher skill
> level).

Hmm, ok I see it.

> Marine units, you select a marine core that your PC
> comes from. This is unlocked at the third skill level
> where you need even more help. It has 20 "bodies"
> of different types of classes. The history of that
> unit is in the mortem file. "I was the last of unit
> alpha-bravo-six, and I was going straight to hell,
> damn you demons!" The player tries to get as many
> members of his unit to complete the game as possible -
> or at least one! Each marine unit starts with +1 to
> a certain trait. Your buddies are seen in a dwindling
> group of '@' outside the Phobos base! Special marine
> unit high score table.

Hmm...

> Elite traits are unlocked at nightmare level.
> Assassin trait: +5% to instant melee kill chance.
> etc Rail gun and sniper rifle unlocked at
> nightmare level??? Zoom mode might be cool, it
> is a circle on the far end of the map, but you
> can't see anything around you! Takes a turn to
> go in and out of zoom mode.

Kheh, yeah, special Nightmare traits would be cool!

> Campaign mode unlocked after nightmare. Played
> at nightmare level. Build up base with 100 marines
> "lives" to use - progress remembered between
> lives. Number of enemies up 300%.

LOL!

> Stuff like that? ...

Yessssss keep it coming :-D

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"Invalid thought detected. Close all mental processes and
restart body."

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 11:15:38 AM5/1/05
Twisted One wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>>> Yeah, if you want even greater popularity you need
>>> the lowest common denominator ;)
>>

>> Ahhh. But I'd rather work on the AI or DunGen instead...
>
> AI? This is DooMRL we're discussing. It isn't very doomlike if the
> monsters are *smart*. ;)

As for now monsters in Doom are a lot smarter then in DoomRL ;-)

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

My opinions are my own. Share them at your own risk.

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 11:16:02 AM5/1/05
Twisted One wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>>> Like you said an options menu that effectively
>>> just edits the ini file... bit of effort though
>>> for not much gameplay reward. Depends how "perfect"
>>> you want this thing.... muwhahahah!
>>

>> True ;-). I may make something like an Config-File-Edit module for
>> Valkyrie though -- and it would be reusable for
>> DiabloRL/GenRogue/Anyother game I make/Anyone using Vaklyrie.
>
> Well, then, we can expect to see it, oh, probably shortly after
> GenRogue's first release. ;)

*giggles*

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 11:15:49 AM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Bug: Can't save on stairs to special level :(
>
> Yes. I know.
>
>> Idea: be able to eat corpses while berserk
>> for small amounts of health - 'g' when on
>> corpse.
>
> Oh come on ;-). Or maybe, as a small hidden feature :-D

Cool. Little cookies like that... have in mortem.txt
how many secrets were found out of how many... adds an
extra challenge.

Here is my pedantic corrections of the opening text
including use of commas which I don't even use myself
on usenet! Corrections exist in each paragraph below...

The trip was long, you thought it would never end. Hell, a job as
a marine reserve is sooo boring. You hate UAC -- nothing happens
here. Even now, you have to wait for your fellow marines who
were supposed to check what happened on Phobos.

Not knowing what to do with yourself you just sit near the comm
console and listen to the news from your fellow marines.

"Hell, what bloodshed!" you hear from the comm, "Corpses
everywhere!"

[rest fine]

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 11:21:21 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:
>>
>>> Bug: Can't save on stairs to special level :(
>>

>> Yes. I know.
>>
>>> Idea: be able to eat corpses while berserk
>>> for small amounts of health - 'g' when on
>>> corpse.
>>

>> Oh come on ;-). Or maybe, as a small hidden feature :-D
>
> Cool. Little cookies like that... have in mortem.txt
> how many secrets were found out of how many... adds an
> extra challenge.

"He was one bloodthirsty son of a bitch..."

*snip corrections*
Thanks!

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

Twisted One

May 1, 2005, 11:26:15 AM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
> Here is my pedantic corrections of the opening text
> including use of commas which I don't even use myself
> on usenet! Corrections exist in each paragraph below...

And here is my pedantic correction to your pedantic corrections...

> The trip was long, you thought it would never end. Hell, a job as
> a marine reserve is sooo boring. You hate UAC -- nothing happens
> here. Even now, you have to wait for your fellow marines who
> were supposed to check what happened on Phobos.

Run-on sentence; capitalization:

The trip was long; you thought it would never end. Hell, a job as
a Marine reserve is sooo boring. You hate UAC -- nothing happens
here. Even now, you have to wait for your fellow Marines who

were supposed to check what happened on Phobos.

> Not knowing what to do with yourself you just sit near the comm
> console and listen to the news from your fellow marines.

Comma:

Not knowing what to do with yourself, you just sit near the comm
console and listen to the news from your fellow Marines.

> "Hell, what bloodshed," you hear from the comm, "Corpses
> everywhere!"

Comma:

"Hell, what bloodshed," you hear from the comm, "Corpses
everywhere!"

Sherm Pendley

May 1, 2005, 11:32:13 AM5/1/05
Paul Derbyshire wrote:

>>> Uhhh....
>>

>> "Starskey and Hutch"
>

> Who?, Who?, and Who?

<http://www.google.com/search?q=ben+stiller>
<http://www.google.com/search?q=Starskey+and+Hutch>

sherm--

Twisted One

May 1, 2005, 11:41:50 AM5/1/05
Sherm Pendley wrote:
[snip]

Arsehole.

And stop misattributing my posts by editing the "Twisted One wrote:"
godfuckingdammit.

Sherm Pendley

May 1, 2005, 11:45:46 AM5/1/05
Paul Derbyshire wrote:

> And stop misattributing my posts by editing the "Twisted One wrote:"
> godfuckingdammit.

Are you too ashamed of what you write to put your real name on it, Paul?

Sherm Pendley

May 1, 2005, 11:47:01 AM5/1/05
Paul Derbyshire wrote:
> Sherm Pendley wrote:
> [answers to Paul's questions]
>
> Arsehole.

You're welcome.

Twisted One

May 1, 2005, 11:53:20 AM5/1/05
Sherm Pendley wrote:
[snip]

SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!

Twisted One

May 1, 2005, 11:53:08 AM5/1/05
Sherm Pendley wrote:
[snip lies and dissembling]

It's not my real name, for the umpteenth fucking time. And even if it
were, my choice to keep it private is my goddam prerogative and you have
no right to broadcast it. Now shut the fuck up!!!

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 11:56:10 AM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>>> Fast in realtime you mean? Cool ;-)
>>> BTW -- I was thinking about lava/acid flooding levels...
>>
>> heh I hadn't thought of it quite like that - but actually
>> that is really cool... would really make it feel more
>> Doomy to have that real time element creep in ;)
>
> You would be literaly "Running from Evil" (the title from one of Dooms
> MIDIs". And yeah, that MIDI would be great for such a level...

Sweet.

>>> But good. I need to work mostly on replayability now (it's low) any
>>> ideas?
>>
>> Before I start - mortem file should include last screen
>> shot when died. Just had a YASD I could of used!
>
> It would need to be coloured though -- maybe I'll make the game leave a
> seperate file with a Valkyrie Color Coded screenshot of the death scene
> -- and a small program to view valkyrie screenshots (and convert them
> into plain ASCII).

I don't think it *has* to be coloured - it would still tell
a pretty good story.

>> Skill modes.
>
> ?
>
>> Electro gun!
>
> Kheh, there's been that discussion. In the votes, the Lightning gun got
> the least votes, but I would be for it, cause that would make water
> useful :-).

Yeah.

>> Real time timer challenge (mentioned previously) - some
>> variation on real time counter... even if just recorded
>> playtime on high score list. Internet based high score
>> list?
>
> Hmm...
>
>> Difficulty level is high, which is good - means they will
>> play it more to try and solve it. I stopped playing the
>> first one as soon as I defeated it.
>
> Yeah.
>
>> Have about 5 different styles of standard rooms. Secret
>> rooms and secret cookies on set levels. One way of
>> playing Doom was to press space on all the walls looking
>> for secrets - usually there was some clue.
>
> Secrets are hard to simulate if you have a fixed size map, that is
> filled all the way ;-).

True... another style room might not be like that?

>> Where your previous marines die, they are revived as
>> undead marines and fight against your next character
>> when/if they reach that level! ie bones rip off.
>
> Good ;-). But somebody mailed me with a better idea -- named Lost Souls :-D

Interesting...

>> Be able to play as any of the monster types instead
>> of marine...
>
> Nah.
>
>> Optional challenge victory types supported by system and
>> reported in mortem file as;
>
> True.
>
>> CHALLENGE MODES (all checked after first stairs)
>> ---------------
>> "No melee" - failed
>> "No berserk" - failed
>> "All special levels" - passed!
>> "always aggressive" - failed
>> etc
>
> :-D. Yes, and I have a few of my own -- eg. Only Pistol challenge :-D

Nice with the pistol trait - I like it.

And kinda needed if you ramp up the monsters like in
Doom!

>> Campaign mode unlocked after nightmare. Played
>> at nightmare level. Build up base with 100 marines
>> "lives" to use - progress remembered between
>> lives. Number of enemies up 300%.
>
> LOL!
>
>> Stuff like that? ...
>
> Yessssss keep it coming :-D

"And I couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide."

LOL!

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 12:00:20 PM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know if it's of any revelance ;-)
>>
>> I love little stats like that, and its not hard to collect.
>
> But I think it would be statisticaly average -- it doesn't depend on
> anything except RNG.

I dont mind :)

# number of barrels seen :)
# number of barrels blown up directly -
# highest number of barrels ever blown up directly -
# number of barrels blown up indirectly -
# number of barrels blown up by others -
# total number of barrels blown up =

*SNIP*

>>> No way! I won't go into the two weapons under one key pitfall again!
>>> Die QuickKey code!
>>
>> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! Now I remember...
>>
>> SHIFT 1 to dual wield? There is a RL that already
>> does dual wield with guns and it works sweet.
>
> Don't you see that that is a QuickKey monster, just in disguise? ;-)

hehe

What if I ask for Halo type dual wielding, shotgun and pistol???

Ray Dillinger

May 1, 2005, 12:00:12 PM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

> It would need to be coloured though -- maybe I'll make the game leave a
> seperate file with a Valkyrie Color Coded screenshot of the death scene
> -- and a small program to view valkyrie screenshots (and convert them
> into plain ASCII).

Just write an HTML file containing a table full of
colored characters. Then people can view it in their
browsers, and cut-and-paste from there into ascii-only
contexts.

Bear

Timothy Pruett

May 1, 2005, 12:05:02 PM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>> Darshan Shaligram wrote:

>>> That should be "437", not "473".
>>

>> Thanks!
>

> Tested and works!
>
> Status for device CON:
> ----------------------
> Columns: 80
> Keyboard rate: 31
> Keyboard delay: 1
> Code page: 437
>
> Bug: Can't save on stairs to special level :(
>
> Idea: be able to eat corpses while berserk
> for small amounts of health - 'g' when on
> corpse.

Eh... While berserk? Berserk refills your life to 100 right away,
and lasts too short a time to actually let the player eat corpses.
Not much point, considering the amount of effort required to implement
it. That's just my opinion anyway.

--
"There are of course many problems connected with life, of
which some of the most popular are `Why are people born?'
`Why do they die?' `Why do they spend so much of the
intervening time wearing digital watches?'"

-- The Book.

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 12:11:15 PM5/1/05
*SNIP*

Small bug: lever appears in wall.
When out of vision range appears as wall.
When in range looks like lever and look
command reports lever but can't move into
that square as it is a wall.

Timothy Pruett

May 1, 2005, 12:39:25 PM5/1/05

Good idea! That should be easy for Kornel to code, and is easy for
every player to take advantage of. Way to use your head, Bear!

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 1:22:33 PM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
>>> Elite traits are unlocked at nightmare level.
>>> Assassin trait: +5% to instant melee kill chance.
>>> etc Rail gun and sniper rifle unlocked at
>>> nightmare level??? Zoom mode might be cool, it
>>> is a circle on the far end of the map, but you
>>> can't see anything around you! Takes a turn to
>>> go in and out of zoom mode.
>>

>> Kheh, yeah, special Nightmare traits would be cool!
>

> And kinda needed if you ramp up the monsters like in
> Doom!

;-)

>>> Stuff like that? ...
>>

>> Yessssss keep it coming :-D
>

> "And I couldn't handle the stress and committed a stupid suicide."
>
> LOL!

:-D
Double LOL ;-)

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"Gott weiss, Ich will kein Engel sein..." -- Rammstein /Engel/

Kornel Kisielewicz

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 1:24:49 PM5/1/05
ABCGi wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>> But I think it would be statisticaly average -- it doesn't depend on
>> anything except RNG.
>

> I dont mind :)
>
> # number of barrels seen :)
> # number of barrels blown up directly -
> # highest number of barrels ever blown up directly -
> # number of barrels blown up indirectly -
> # number of barrels blown up by others -
> # total number of barrels blown up =

ROTFL!

>>> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA! Now I remember...
>>>
>>> SHIFT 1 to dual wield? There is a RL that already
>>> does dual wield with guns and it works sweet.
>>

>> Don't you see that that is a QuickKey monster, just in disguise? ;-)
>

> hehe
>
> What if I ask for Halo type dual wielding, shotgun and pistol???

I'll kill you ;-)

Antoine

May 1, 2005, 2:02:33 PM5/1/05

ABCGi wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> > ABCGi wrote:
> >
> >> Bug: Can't save on stairs to special level :(
> >
> > Yes. I know.
> >
> >> Idea: be able to eat corpses while berserk
> >> for small amounts of health - 'g' when on
> >> corpse.
> >
> > Oh come on ;-). Or maybe, as a small hidden feature :-D
>
> Cool. Little cookies like that... have in mortem.txt
> how many secrets were found out of how many... adds an
> extra challenge.
>
> Here is my pedantic corrections of the opening text
> including use of commas which I don't even use myself
> on usenet! Corrections exist in each paragraph below...
>
> The trip was long, you thought it would never end. Hell, a job as
> a marine reserve is sooo boring. You hate UAC -- nothing happens
> here. Even now, you have to wait for your fellow marines who
> were supposed to check what happened on Phobos.
>
> Not knowing what to do with yourself you just sit near the comm
> console and listen to the news from your fellow marines.
>
> "Hell, what bloodshed!" you hear from the comm, "Corpses
> everywhere!"

Kornel, I implore you to keep the line "What a bloodshed!"

Please don't correct this!
A.

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 1, 2005, 2:33:03 PM5/1/05
Antoine wrote:
>>"Hell, what bloodshed!" you hear from the comm, "Corpses
>>everywhere!"
>

> Kornel, I implore you to keep the line "What a bloodshed!"
>
> Please don't correct this!
> A.

Why?

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"11 years and no binary. And it's not vapourware" -- Igor Savin

Christophe Cavalaria

May 1, 2005, 7:59:14 PM5/1/05
Twisted One wrote:

> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>>> Yeah, if you want even greater popularity you need
>>> the lowest common denominator ;)
>>
>> Ahhh. But I'd rather work on the AI or DunGen instead...
>
> AI? This is DooMRL we're discussing. It isn't very doomlike if the
> monsters are *smart*. ;)

Well, let's do it like in Doom where monsters are dumb but immune to
lava/acid/toxic waste/pain zones etc ... :) Of course, you can still crush
them to death in some situations.

ABCGi

May 1, 2005, 10:40:51 PM5/1/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> Antoine wrote:
>
>>> "Hell, what bloodshed!" you hear from the comm, "Corpses
>>> everywhere!"
>>
>> Kornel, I implore you to keep the line "What a bloodshed!"
>>
>> Please don't correct this!
>> A.
>
> Why?

True its cute... it was only a quick once over...
I didn't want to try and change the feel of it, there
are others that would be even more pedantic!

R. Dan Henry

May 2, 2005, 1:31:56 AM5/2/05
On Mon, 02 May 2005 01:15:49 +1000, ABCGi <ab...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Here is my pedantic corrections of the opening text
>including use of commas which I don't even use myself
>on usenet! Corrections exist in each paragraph below...

Pedantic corrections of corrections follow:

>The trip was long, you thought it would never end. Hell, a job as

"long," should be "long;"

>a marine reserve is sooo boring. You hate UAC -- nothing happens
>here. Even now, you have to wait for your fellow marines who
>were supposed to check what happened on Phobos.

"Marine" is the name of a service branch and therefore capitalized
when used in that sense.

>Not knowing what to do with yourself you just sit near the comm
>console and listen to the news from your fellow marines.
>
>"Hell, what bloodshed!" you hear from the comm, "Corpses
>everywhere!"

Actually I like the fractured English over the comm -- makes it seem
like they're really shook up and can't talk straight. Maybe it
shouldn't be fixed?

R. Dan Henry
danh...@inreach.com
Idiot boy, when are you going to post something useful?
Or better yet, get a job and stop being a welfare bum?

R. Dan Henry

May 2, 2005, 1:31:54 AM5/2/05
On Sun, 01 May 2005 16:46:40 +0200, Kornel Kisielewicz
<kisie...@gazeta.pl> wrote:

>ABCGi wrote:
>> Bug: Can't save on stairs to special level :(
>
>Yes. I know.
>
>> Idea: be able to eat corpses while berserk
>> for small amounts of health - 'g' when on
>> corpse.
>
>Oh come on ;-). Or maybe, as a small hidden feature :-D

Don't give in to ABCGi's cannibalistic fantasies. There's enough of
that corpse-eating stuff in Nethack, Crawl, and ADOM. Even some
Angband variants have gone that way. Roguelikes need more
non-cannibalistic games.

ABCGi

May 2, 2005, 3:40:06 AM5/2/05
R. Dan Henry wrote:
> On Mon, 02 May 2005 01:15:49 +1000, ABCGi <ab...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>Here is my pedantic corrections of the opening text
>>including use of commas which I don't even use myself
>>on usenet! Corrections exist in each paragraph below...
>
> Pedantic corrections of corrections follow:
>
>>The trip was long, you thought it would never end. Hell, a job as
>
> "long," should be "long;"

I thought about that and decided against it, thought
it would be too distracting for some!

>>a marine reserve is sooo boring. You hate UAC -- nothing happens
>>here. Even now, you have to wait for your fellow marines who
>>were supposed to check what happened on Phobos.
>
> "Marine" is the name of a service branch and therefore capitalized
> when used in that sense.

Missed that, nice one.

>>Not knowing what to do with yourself you just sit near the comm
>>console and listen to the news from your fellow marines.
>>
>>"Hell, what bloodshed!" you hear from the comm, "Corpses
>>everywhere!"
>
> Actually I like the fractured English over the comm -- makes it seem
> like they're really shook up and can't talk straight. Maybe it
> shouldn't be fixed?

Yeah now that you guys point that out - I agree...
Hajo's "H-World:The Jungle" has got some cute English
in it as well that I like.

Bateau

May 2, 2005, 6:54:31 AM5/2/05
R. Dan Henry <danh...@inreach.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 02 May 2005 01:15:49 +1000, ABCGi <ab...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Here is my pedantic corrections of the opening text
>>including use of commas which I don't even use myself
>>on usenet! Corrections exist in each paragraph below...
>
>Pedantic corrections of corrections follow:
>
>>The trip was long, you thought it would never end. Hell, a job as
>
>"long," should be "long;"
>
>>a marine reserve is sooo boring. You hate UAC -- nothing happens
>>here. Even now, you have to wait for your fellow marines who
>>were supposed to check what happened on Phobos.
>
>"Marine" is the name of a service branch and therefore capitalized
>when used in that sense.

Marines are bad ass.

Windowed
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/RastaJew/1.png

Full screen (according to DosBox)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/RastaJew/2.png

ABCGi

May 2, 2005, 8:31:50 AM5/2/05
Bateau wrote:
*SNIP*

> Marines are bad ass.
>
> Windowed
> http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/RastaJew/1.png
>
> Full screen (according to DosBox)
> http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/RastaJew/2.png

Nice ascii art doom style!

DoomRL ideas:

* bonus or "yeah" noise when clear level of all
monsters - or music stops when level clear... and
starts again if you trip lever to release monsters!

* items over stairs should look different to indicate
stairs underneath when in sight range...

* always [more] option in ini file to skip over [more]
faster play, more doom arcade like!

* levers activated by just walking into them... or add
hidden and non-hidden touch pad "levers" as a "trap"

* shooting door with bullets - some bullets can pass
through??? and/or destroy door eventually?

* definitely need a turn counter to get a better feel
for how long reloads are taking etc

* pushing barrels against impassable walls to blow
them up is cool - some maps where this is part of the
puzzle.

* The original doom had lots of puzzley sort of mazey
bits - you might add some more of this (although I always
hated those bits).

* After surviving early game - middle bit (depths 4,5,6,7,8)
is too easy with chaingun... need many more demons running
in packs etc (Hell Knight on depth 9 puts a stop to the rot!)

* when there is not enough room in the backpack to unequip
armour game just pretends it did it and does give no error
message - but armour is still on

* The music is making me feel a little edgy... and the stereo
distance sound is awesome!

* Pushing against walls searches for secret, makes a little
ugh sound like original. Secret might just be the bit of
wall disappears (secret door).

"He held his right to remain violent" heh hellish cities are
cool.

* add top 10 high score list to bottom of mortem file, esp.
if current player was in it! followed by line and number
for current player if not in top 10.

* mortem: "He started his journey on the suface of Phobos."
typo: surface
"And 1 couldn't handle the stress and commited a stupid suicide."
typo: committed

The hellrunner came in handy since changing position between
shots increases the chance of being missed... but I fought too
much in the open... and then too close to walls!!!

----------------> !GREAT GAME! <------------------

DoomRL (v.0.9.8 (WIN-S)) roguelike post-mortem character dump

Sandy Peterson, level 4 soldier, killed by a hell knight
on level 9 of the Phobos base.
He survived 32063 turns and scored 11962 points.

He killed 242 out of 259 hellspawn. (93%)
He held his right to remain violent.

He stormed the Chained Court.
He fought on Hell's Arena.

-- Statistics ------------------------------------------------

Health -1/50 Experience 9811/4
ToHit +3 ToDmg Ranged +0 ToDmg Melee +0

-- Traits ----------------------------------------------------

Hellrunner (Level 3)
Eagle Eye (Level 1)

-- Equipment -------------------------------------------------

[a] [ Armor ] blue armor [2/2] (90%)
[b] [ Weapon ] fastload chaingun (1d6)x5 [45/50]
[c] [ Boots ] protective boots [4/4] (100%)

-- Inventory -------------------------------------------------

[a] chainsaw (4d6)
[b] combat shotgun (6d3) [5/5]
[c] 10mm ammo (x25)
[d] 10mm ammo (x100)
[e] 10mm ammo (x100)
[f] 10mm ammo (x100)
[g] 10mm ammo (x100)
[h] shotgun shell (x50)
[i] shotgun shell (x50)
[j] rocket (x10)
[k] rocket (x10)
[l] rocket (x10)
[m] power cell (x50)
[n] power cell (x10)
[o] protective boots [4/4] (100%)

-- Kills -----------------------------------------------------

68 former humans
36 former human sergeants
17 former human captains
40 imps
29 demons
26 lost souls
1 cacodemon
2 hell knights

-- History ---------------------------------------------------

He started his journey on the suface of Phobos.
On level 2 he battled through a maze of rooms.
Afterwards he fought on Hell's Arena.
On level 3 he battled through a maze of rooms.
He then stormed the Chained Court.
On level 4 he battled through a maze of rooms.
On level 5 he battled through a maze of rooms.
On level 6 he battled through a maze of rooms.
On level 7 he found a hellish city.
On level 8 he battled through a maze of rooms.
On level 9 he found a hellish city.
There finally he was killed by a hell knight.

-- General ---------------------------------------------------

Before him 11 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
10 of those were killed.
And 1 couldn't handle the stress and commited a stupid suicide.

Bateau

May 2, 2005, 8:57:17 AM5/2/05

There's a freeware Flashback clone called Logan's Fight or something. It
contains stuff like "Before total destruction of town only two man
succeeded to escap and one of them was: LOGAN, PROFESSION: ARMY
SPECIALIST."

ABCGi

May 2, 2005, 9:07:34 AM5/2/05
Bateau wrote:
> ABCGi <ab...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>R. Dan Henry wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon, 02 May 2005 01:15:49 +1000, ABCGi <ab...@yahoo.com> wrote:

*SNIP*

>>>Actually I like the fractured English over the comm -- makes it seem
>>>like they're really shook up and can't talk straight. Maybe it
>>>shouldn't be fixed?
>>
>>Yeah now that you guys point that out - I agree...
>>Hajo's "H-World:The Jungle" has got some cute English
>>in it as well that I like.
>
> There's a freeware Flashback clone called Logan's Fight or something. It
> contains stuff like "Before total destruction of town only two man
> succeeded to escap and one of them was: LOGAN, PROFESSION: ARMY
> SPECIALIST."

heh - all your base belong to us!

Christophe

May 2, 2005, 9:22:38 AM5/2/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> <advertisement-like voice>
>
> Rejoice, for DoomRL 0.9.8 is out!
>
> I proudly present to you the new version of DoomRL with...
>
> SOUND AND MUSIC :-D
>
> Yesss! Now you can hear those damn former humans dying, now you can
> listen to your favourite Doom I tunes... And more even, you can download
> MP3 files from http://www.sirgalahad.org/paul/doom/ and plug them into
> DoomRL for maximum pleasure (RECOMMENDED! -- see doomrl.ini for
> instalation information).
>
> But it's not all!
>
> The long awaited Save-On-Crash function is implemented! No longer will
> you loose your ass kicking marine to some damn "IsPlayer" crash! I also
> tried to fix some of those bugs by the way ;-).
>
> But wait, there's more!
>
> Two new level TYPES are in! Play NOW and check them out before They do...
>
> Still not enough?
>
> Expanded mortem.txt! Now you will be able to share on rgr.misc what
> happend to your marine on each level! Also, you'll know how many
> bastards have escaped your trusty chaingun....
>
> SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? GRAB IT NOW!
> http://chaos.magma-net.pl/doom/
>
> </advertisement-like voice>
>
> Changes from version.txt
>
> v.0.9.8 (beta)
> (9 bugfixes, 4 modifications, 8 additions)
> (28.IV.2005)
> [add] -- SOUND! Yeah, now hell is getting real ;-)

Just got a Windows computer to test it at least and it is fun, but most
sounds are horribly mismatched :/

Here are the problems I found :

- Archanotron doesn't use Doom 2 sounds as it should but use the bSpider
master mind sounds from Doom
- Knights of hell use Baron of hell sound set. Same problem here as
above since you don't seem to have the Doom 2 sounds available :)
- Doom sound filenames are bad but most of the time, a monster uses the
sit sound when it wakes up and periodicaly emits the act sound when it's
awake. In the ini file, ou call the ACT sounds those emited by the
monsters when they wake up :)

And now, more to the detail. It seems a few sound files are horribly
named. So far, the sergent death sound plays the pinky death sound
instead, and the skull death sound plays the "can't open that" sound
which is available with a different name already. Here are the problems
I found :
* SOUND_DIEIMP should be dsbgdth1.wav and/or dsbgdth2.wav ( maybe use
both but at random )
* SOUND_DIESER should be the same as SOUND_DIEFORMER ( here too it could
be a good idea to pick at random between the different possible sounds )
* SOUND_DIEDEMON should use the current SOUND_DIESER value ( sergents
with pinky death sound ! ) of course, the sound file was horribly
misnamed but it's not your fault I guess
* SOUND_DIESKULL is wrong but the correct sound is missing. It should
probably be dsskldth.wav based on file name. The correct sound looks
like an explosion
* SOUND_ACTIMP should be dsbgsit1.wav or dsbgsit2.wav
* SOUND_ACTFORMER and SOUND_ACTSER should be dsposit1.wav, dsposit2.wav,
dsposit3.wav
* SOUND_ACTDEMON should be dssgtsit.wav
* SOUND_ACTSKULL I have no idea what to put here but the current sound
is wrong :) Maybe it should be left silent instead ( not sure what is
used in Doom here )
* SOUND_HITIMP, SOUND_HITSER and SOUND_HITFORMER should all use
dspopain.wav I think
* SOUND_HITDEMON should be dsdmpain.wav
* SOUND_HITSKULL no good idea here. I think it uses the same SOUND_HITDEMON
* SOUND_HITCACO, SOUND_HITBARON, SOUND_HITCYBER here too use
SOUND_HITDEMON It'll sound better than playing the sit sound

PS : I did that entirely based on 2 levels of DoomRL playing, .ini
checking and somewhat distant Doom memories so I could be wrong here :)
PPS : could you add the SOUND_RELOAD each time the player picks up a
weapon or the ammo from a weapon on the ground ? I remember that Doom
played a huge amount of that sound when you picked up a lot of shootguns
droped on the ground

Twisted One

May 2, 2005, 10:02:12 AM5/2/05
R. Dan Henry wrote:
> Don't give in to ABCGi's cannibalistic fantasies. There's enough of
> that corpse-eating stuff in Nethack, Crawl, and ADOM. Even some
> Angband variants have gone that way. Roguelikes need more
> non-cannibalistic games.

All well and good, but then:

[Virulent insult snipped]

What's the provocation for this? Why do you feel the need to spread your
petty flamage and flamebaiting to rgr.misc now? Why don't you just shut
the fuck up? Or better yet, unplug your modem, take it back to the
store, and tell them you've just learned you're too immature to handle
net access, can you have your money back please?

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 2, 2005, 11:29:42 AM5/2/05
ABCGi wrote:
>> There's a freeware Flashback clone called Logan's Fight or something. It
>> contains stuff like "Before total destruction of town only two man
>> succeeded to escap and one of them was: LOGAN, PROFESSION: ARMY
>> SPECIALIST."
>

> heh - all your base belong to us!

LOL! I just wanted to quote that! :-D

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 2, 2005, 11:31:56 AM5/2/05
Bateau wrote:
> Marines are bad ass.
>
> Windowed
> http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/RastaJew/1.png
>
> Full screen (according to DosBox)
> http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y41/RastaJew/2.png

Hey, these ones are great! You made them? And if not, who? I could use
pictures like this! (they're far superior to what DoomRL now has...)

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 2, 2005, 11:42:31 AM5/2/05
ABCGi wrote:
> Nice ascii art doom style!
>
> DoomRL ideas:
>
> * bonus or "yeah" noise when clear level of all
> monsters - or music stops when level clear... and
> starts again if you trip lever to release monsters!

Hmm, why?

> * items over stairs should look different to indicate
> stairs underneath when in sight range...

Hard to achieve...

> * always [more] option in ini file to skip over [more]
> faster play, more doom arcade like!

LOL, maybe ;-).

> * levers activated by just walking into them... or add
> hidden and non-hidden touch pad "levers" as a "trap"

Ok, possible :-)

> * shooting door with bullets - some bullets can pass
> through??? and/or destroy door eventually?

Hmm...

> * definitely need a turn counter to get a better feel
> for how long reloads are taking etc

Ok.

> * pushing barrels against impassable walls to blow
> them up is cool - some maps where this is part of the
> puzzle.

That was the first version of "the Wall" ;-).

> * The original doom had lots of puzzley sort of mazey
> bits - you might add some more of this (although I always
> hated those bits).

This might be hard to do, to not make it boring...

> * After surviving early game - middle bit (depths 4,5,6,7,8)
> is too easy with chaingun... need many more demons running
> in packs etc (Hell Knight on depth 9 puts a stop to the rot!)

Monster Placement will be redesigned. DiabloRL style.

> * when there is not enough room in the backpack to unequip
> armour game just pretends it did it and does give no error
> message - but armour is still on

Ok.

> * The music is making me feel a little edgy... and the stereo
> distance sound is awesome!

:-D

> * Pushing against walls searches for secret, makes a little
> ugh sound like original. Secret might just be the bit of
> wall disappears (secret door).

But secrets would be ridiculously easy to find on a fully packed fixed
size map :-(

> "He held his right to remain violent" heh hellish cities are
> cool.

Got a high kill-factor I guess ;-).

> * add top 10 high score list to bottom of mortem file, esp.
> if current player was in it! followed by line and number
> for current player if not in top 10.

Ok.

> * mortem: "He started his journey on the suface of Phobos."
> typo: surface

True.

> "And 1 couldn't handle the stress and commited a stupid suicide."
> typo: committed

Ok.

> The hellrunner came in handy since changing position between
> shots increases the chance of being missed... but I fought too
> much in the open... and then too close to walls!!!

Kheh ;-).

> ----------------> !GREAT GAME! <------------------

Thanks!

> DoomRL (v.0.9.8 (WIN-S)) roguelike post-mortem character dump
>
> Sandy Peterson, level 4 soldier, killed by a hell knight
> on level 9 of the Phobos base.
> He survived 32063 turns and scored 11962 points.
>
> He killed 242 out of 259 hellspawn. (93%)
> He held his right to remain violent.

Nice! :-D

> -- History ---------------------------------------------------
>
> He started his journey on the suface of Phobos.
> On level 2 he battled through a maze of rooms.

Duh, a bug -- there should be a differentiation between the tight
maze-room levels, and the more open complex levels in the mortem

> Afterwards he fought on Hell's Arena.
> On level 3 he battled through a maze of rooms.
> He then stormed the Chained Court.
> On level 4 he battled through a maze of rooms.
> On level 5 he battled through a maze of rooms.
> On level 6 he battled through a maze of rooms.
> On level 7 he found a hellish city.
> On level 8 he battled through a maze of rooms.
> On level 9 he found a hellish city.
> There finally he was killed by a hell knight.

Too bad :-D. Lucky you, no caves ;-D

> -- General ---------------------------------------------------
>
> Before him 11 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
> 10 of those were killed.
> And 1 couldn't handle the stress and commited a stupid suicide.

Aaaah, this looks much better than a victory post with:
> Before him 1 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
> 1 of those was killed.

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 2, 2005, 11:49:31 AM5/2/05
Christophe wrote:
> Just got a Windows computer to test it at least and it is fun, but most
> sounds are horribly mismatched :/

I know ;-). I didn't have a compy of Doom to test it.

> Here are the problems I found :
>
> - Archanotron doesn't use Doom 2 sounds as it should but use the bSpider
> master mind sounds from Doom

True. I didn't want to include the Doom2 sounds yet.

> - Knights of hell use Baron of hell sound set. Same problem here as
> above since you don't seem to have the Doom 2 sounds available :)

See above.

> - Doom sound filenames are bad but most of the time, a monster uses the
> sit sound when it wakes up and periodicaly emits the act sound when it's
> awake. In the ini file, ou call the ACT sounds those emited by the
> monsters when they wake up :)

But this is due to the differences in the AI of DoomRL and Doom monsters.

> And now, more to the detail. It seems a few sound files are horribly
> named. So far, the sergent death sound plays the pinky death sound
> instead, and the skull death sound plays the "can't open that" sound
> which is available with a different name already. Here are the problems
> I found :

All true... Could you supply a corrected doomrl.ini?

> PS : I did that entirely based on 2 levels of DoomRL playing, .ini
> checking and somewhat distant Doom memories so I could be wrong here :)

:-)

> PPS : could you add the SOUND_RELOAD each time the player picks up a
> weapon or the ammo from a weapon on the ground ? I remember that Doom
> played a huge amount of that sound when you picked up a lot of shootguns
> droped on the ground

Hmm, I'll check that.

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"If hackers will ever use virtual reality, it would show a bunch
of text terminals floating around them..." -- The Sheep

Christophe

May 2, 2005, 12:33:45 PM5/2/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:

> Christophe wrote:
>
>> Just got a Windows computer to test it at least and it is fun, but
>> most sounds are horribly mismatched :/
>

> I know ;-). I didn't have a compy of Doom to test it.
>
>> Here are the problems I found :
>>
>> - Archanotron doesn't use Doom 2 sounds as it should but use the
>> bSpider master mind sounds from Doom
>

> True. I didn't want to include the Doom2 sounds yet.

I guess I'll create an unofficial sound pack then :) I'll also look into
FreeDoom to see if they have a good enouth sound pack.

>> - Knights of hell use Baron of hell sound set. Same problem here as
>> above since you don't seem to have the Doom 2 sounds available :)
>

> See above.

Too bad that the entries are missing, I won't be able to fix that one.
Another strange thing is that you are in fact using the Doom 2 door
sounds. Maybe they got added to Doom 1 with the expansion pack.

>> - Doom sound filenames are bad but most of the time, a monster uses
>> the sit sound when it wakes up and periodicaly emits the act sound
>> when it's awake. In the ini file, ou call the ACT sounds those emited
>> by the monsters when they wake up :)
>

> But this is due to the differences in the AI of DoomRL and Doom monsters.

I'll test using the SIT sounds anyway. We'll see what it does then :)

>> And now, more to the detail. It seems a few sound files are horribly
>> named. So far, the sergent death sound plays the pinky death sound
>> instead, and the skull death sound plays the "can't open that" sound
>> which is available with a different name already. Here are the
>> problems I found :
>

> All true... Could you supply a corrected doomrl.ini?

I'll try to produce a better doomrl.ini for normal use. I'll have to get
the few missing Doom 1 sounds from the .wad file somehow.

>> PS : I did that entirely based on 2 levels of DoomRL playing, .ini
>> checking and somewhat distant Doom memories so I could be wrong here :)
>

> :-)
>
>> PPS : could you add the SOUND_RELOAD each time the player picks up a
>> weapon or the ammo from a weapon on the ground ? I remember that Doom
>> played a huge amount of that sound when you picked up a lot of
>> shootguns droped on the ground
>

> Hmm, I'll check that.

Great, and don't forget about the multiple sounds per slot. And the
Linux version too !

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 2, 2005, 12:35:10 PM5/2/05
Christophe wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>> Christophe wrote:
>>
>>> Just got a Windows computer to test it at least and it is fun, but
>>> most sounds are horribly mismatched :/
>>
>> I know ;-). I didn't have a compy of Doom to test it.
>>
>>> Here are the problems I found :
>>>
>>> - Archanotron doesn't use Doom 2 sounds as it should but use the
>>> bSpider master mind sounds from Doom
>>
>> True. I didn't want to include the Doom2 sounds yet.
>
> I guess I'll create an unofficial sound pack then :) I'll also look into
> FreeDoom to see if they have a good enouth sound pack.

I guess it can be made official if you make it :-P

> Too bad that the entries are missing, I won't be able to fix that one.
> Another strange thing is that you are in fact using the Doom 2 door
> sounds. Maybe they got added to Doom 1 with the expansion pack.

Possible. The Doom1 door sounds were far to long -- with many doors
opened they sounded realy bad.

>>> And now, more to the detail. It seems a few sound files are horribly
>>> named. So far, the sergent death sound plays the pinky death sound
>>> instead, and the skull death sound plays the "can't open that" sound
>>> which is available with a different name already. Here are the
>>> problems I found :
>> All true... Could you supply a corrected doomrl.ini?
>
> I'll try to produce a better doomrl.ini for normal use. I'll have to get
> the few missing Doom 1 sounds from the .wad file somehow.

I think you can just download them from the web. See some modding sites.

>> Hmm, I'll check that.
>
> Great, and don't forget about the multiple sounds per slot. And the
> Linux version too !

Khe he he... work, work, work...

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"The name of GenRogue, has become a warning against excessively
complex design." -- RGRD FAQ

ABCGi

May 2, 2005, 12:47:55 PM5/2/05
Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> Nice ascii art doom style!
>>
>> DoomRL ideas:
>>
>> * bonus or "yeah" noise when clear level of all
>> monsters - or music stops when level clear... and
>> starts again if you trip lever to release monsters!
>
> Hmm, why?

To open up more styles of play - clearing each level
might make for better replayability. There could be
a challenge game to that effect.

>> * items over stairs should look different to indicate
>> stairs underneath when in sight range...
>
> Hard to achieve...

blink? colour?

*NSIP*

>> * pushing barrels against impassable walls to blow
>> them up is cool - some maps where this is part of the
>> puzzle.
>
> That was the first version of "the Wall" ;-).

Ah haven't been there - good, tick that RFE off :)

>> * The original doom had lots of puzzley sort of mazey
>> bits - you might add some more of this (although I always
>> hated those bits).
>
> This might be hard to do, to not make it boring...

True. Had to be mentioned, just ebayed a N64 with Doom
and have been playing it...

>> * After surviving early game - middle bit (depths 4,5,6,7,8)
>> is too easy with chaingun... need many more demons running
>> in packs etc (Hell Knight on depth 9 puts a stop to the rot!)
>
> Monster Placement will be redesigned. DiabloRL style.

Great.

I still want to see;

..@............ "dum dee dum"
......&........
###############

............... *uses lever*
.....@&........
###############

............... *wall slides up*
.....@......... "oh grok!"
###........####
#cccccccc#
#cccccccc#
##########

>> * when there is not enough room in the backpack to unequip
>> armour game just pretends it did it and does give no error
>> message - but armour is still on
>
> Ok.

Please fix as many bugs as possible so we don't have
to find and report them again next time! ;)

>> * Pushing against walls searches for secret, makes a little
>> ugh sound like original. Secret might just be the bit of
>> wall disappears (secret door).
>
> But secrets would be ridiculously easy to find on a fully packed fixed
> size map :-(

Secret might be that wall changes into a teleporter
which takes you to a secret level. Or a BFG might pop
out of it. Or walls might pop up around the player
with a demon for a "cage match"... a free trait upgrade...
wall falls on PC with dodge chance... etc

>> "He held his right to remain violent" heh hellish cities are
>> cool.
>
> Got a high kill-factor I guess ;-).

Yep. I like those touches, well done.

*SNIP*

>> The hellrunner came in handy since changing position between
>> shots increases the chance of being missed... but I fought too
>> much in the open... and then too close to walls!!!
>
> Kheh ;-).
>
>> ----------------> !GREAT GAME! <------------------
>
> Thanks!

I'm sitting here working at 3am listening to the MP3
music playing from my minimised dos box! Perhaps an
MP3 player mode is needed!!!!

>> DoomRL (v.0.9.8 (WIN-S)) roguelike post-mortem character dump
>>
>> Sandy Peterson, level 4 soldier, killed by a hell knight
>> on level 9 of the Phobos base.
>> He survived 32063 turns and scored 11962 points.
>>
>> He killed 242 out of 259 hellspawn. (93%)
>> He held his right to remain violent.
>
> Nice! :-D

Yeah I was trying to clear every level (like I was saying
above) - obviously some of the little bastards got away!

>> -- History ---------------------------------------------------
>>
>> He started his journey on the suface of Phobos.
>> On level 2 he battled through a maze of rooms.
>
> Duh, a bug -- there should be a differentiation between the tight
> maze-room levels, and the more open complex levels in the mortem

Oh yeah... that's what prompted me to suggest
different room types but it was just this bug...

>> Afterwards he fought on Hell's Arena.
>> On level 3 he battled through a maze of rooms.
>> He then stormed the Chained Court.
>> On level 4 he battled through a maze of rooms.
>> On level 5 he battled through a maze of rooms.
>> On level 6 he battled through a maze of rooms.
>> On level 7 he found a hellish city.
>> On level 8 he battled through a maze of rooms.
>> On level 9 he found a hellish city.
>> There finally he was killed by a hell knight.
>
> Too bad :-D. Lucky you, no caves ;-D

I got a little too aggressive, with hellrunner
I can just avoid the hell knights.

>> -- General ---------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Before him 11 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
>> 10 of those were killed.
>> And 1 couldn't handle the stress and commited a stupid suicide.
>
> Aaaah, this looks much better than a victory post with:
> > Before him 1 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
> > 1 of those was killed.

Yeah regular joe mortem ;)

Twisted One

May 2, 2005, 12:56:00 PM5/2/05
ABCGi wrote:
> *NSIP*

NSIP?

> True. Had to be mentioned, just ebayed a N64 with Doom
> and have been playing it...

WHAT?! The DooM you can't play with a mouse is not the true DooM!!

ABCGi

May 2, 2005, 1:08:28 PM5/2/05
Christophe wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>> Christophe wrote:
*SNIP*

>> True. I didn't want to include the Doom2 sounds yet.
>
> I guess I'll create an unofficial sound pack then :) I'll also look into
> FreeDoom to see if they have a good enouth sound pack.

No FreeDoom sounds won't be good enough... just tried it :(

*SNIP*

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 2, 2005, 1:19:56 PM5/2/05
ABCGi wrote:
> Kornel Kisielewicz wrote:
>
>> ABCGi wrote:
>>
>>> Nice ascii art doom style!
>>>
>>> DoomRL ideas:
>>>
>>> * bonus or "yeah" noise when clear level of all
>>> monsters - or music stops when level clear... and
>>> starts again if you trip lever to release monsters!
>>
>> Hmm, why?
>
> To open up more styles of play - clearing each level
> might make for better replayability. There could be
> a challenge game to that effect.

The KillRatio is already there ;-).

>>> * items over stairs should look different to indicate
>>> stairs underneath when in sight range...
>>

>> Hard to achieve...
>
> blink? colour?

They will look like other items then.

> Great.
>
> I still want to see;

> ..@............ "dum dee dum"
> ......&........
> ###############

> ............... *uses lever*
> .....@&........
> ###############
>
> ............... *wall slides up*
> .....@......... "oh grok!"
> ###........####
> #cccccccc#
> #cccccccc#
> ##########

Well, there are enough "bad levers" as for now -- I would prefer to see
some ideas for good levers ;-).

>> Thanks!
>
> I'm sitting here working at 3am listening to the MP3
> music playing from my minimised dos box! Perhaps an
> MP3 player mode is needed!!!!

LOL :-D. The MP3s Rule tough :-D

>>> DoomRL (v.0.9.8 (WIN-S)) roguelike post-mortem character dump
>>>
>>> Sandy Peterson, level 4 soldier, killed by a hell knight
>>> on level 9 of the Phobos base.
>>> He survived 32063 turns and scored 11962 points.
>>>
>>> He killed 242 out of 259 hellspawn. (93%)
>>> He held his right to remain violent.
>>

>> Nice! :-D
>
> Yeah I was trying to clear every level (like I was saying
> above) - obviously some of the little bastards got away!

Mainly the ones you didn't kill on the level you died.

>>> -- General ---------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Before him 11 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
>>> 10 of those were killed.
>>> And 1 couldn't handle the stress and commited a stupid suicide.
>>

>> Aaaah, this looks much better than a victory post with:
>> > Before him 1 brave souls have ventured into Phobos:
>> > 1 of those was killed.
>
> Yeah regular joe mortem ;)

:-D

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

"From what I've read, a lot of people believe that GenRogue
exists and will be released some day" -- Arxenia Xentrophore

Kornel Kisielewicz

May 2, 2005, 1:20:28 PM5/2/05
Twisted One wrote:
> ABCGi wrote:
>
>> *NSIP*
>
> NSIP?

aNother SIP ;-)

--
At your service,
Kornel Kisielewicz (charonATmagma-net.pl) [http://chaos.magma-net.pl]

My opinions are my own. Share them at your own risk.

The Sheep

May 2, 2005, 1:41:14 PM5/2/05
Dnia Mon, 02 May 2005 19:19:56 +0200,
Kornel Kisielewicz napisal(a):

> ABCGi wrote:

>> ............... *wall slides up*
>> .....@......... "oh grok!"
>> ###........####
>> #cccccccc#
>> #cccccccc#
>> ##########

> Well, there are enough "bad levers" as for now -- I would prefer to see
> some ideas for good levers ;-).

Same as above, but filled with medikits and ammo.

--
Radomir @**@_ Bee! .**._ .**._ .**._ .**._ zZ
`The Sheep' ('') 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (..) 3 (--) 3

Antoine

May 2, 2005, 3:31:34 PM5/2/05

R. Dan Henry wrote:
> On Sun, 01 May 2005 16:46:40 +0200, Kornel Kisielewicz
> <kisie...@gazeta.pl> wrote:
>
> >ABCGi wrote:
> >> Bug: Can't save on stairs to special level :(
> >
> >Yes. I know.
> >
> >> Idea: be able to eat corpses while berserk
> >> for small amounts of health - 'g' when on
> >> corpse.
> >
> >Oh come on ;-). Or maybe, as a small hidden feature :-D
>
> Don't give in to ABCGi's cannibalistic fantasies. There's enough of
> that corpse-eating stuff in Nethack, Crawl, and ADOM. Even some
> Angband variants have gone that way. Roguelikes need more
> non-cannibalistic games.

I thought eating the monster corpses was a defining feature of
roguelikes, like permadeath or ASCII art...?

A.

It is loading more messages.