DCSS 0.5: How do I play with Xom?

news.cox.net

Jul 2, 2009, 9:01:00 AM7/2/09
I'm wondering what is the proper strategy for playing with Xom? Should you
I try to keep his interest maxed at all times or should I only do something
spectacular when his interest decines? If I become a "plaything" should I
let his interest decay until I become a "toy" again?

In my last playthrough I got his interest at the highest category shortly
after converting. I got a bunch of beneficial tokens but then began a
streak of nasty Xom behavior even though I never got below "very special".
I thought Xom's attitude becomes random every time he affects the player but
these streaks make me think there's more to it than a pure 50/50 chance for
plaything/toy status.

Thanks

JPEG

Jul 2, 2009, 6:02:03 PM7/2/09
On Jul 2, 3:01 pm, "news.cox.net" <wesleysha...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering what is the proper strategy for playing with Xom?  Should you
> I try to keep his interest maxed at all times or should I only do something
> spectacular when his interest decines?  If I become a "plaything" should I
> let his interest decay until I become a "toy" again?

Letting Xom's interest decay would be an unwise move. The system
actually works a bit differently. The whole purpose of Xom's
_interest_ is for the player to try to prevent him from becoming
bored. If Xom acts out of boredom, the effect is guaranteed to be bad,
and a number of safeguards to prevent accidental death do not apply.
With that in mind, there's actually not much of a purpose of trying to
amuse Xom all the time apart from delaying boredom for as long as
possible.

The other factor is Xom's _mood_ which meanders (and occasionally
jumps) between teddybear and very special plaything. There is no way
for the player to influence Xom's mood! You can try to wait out a bad
mood before entering combat or whatever, but keep in mind that high
tension (as created by fighting difficult foes) temporarily improves
Xom's mood whereas boring surroundings (no monsters in sight) actually
decrease his mood further.

> I thought Xom's attitude becomes random every time he affects the player but
> these streaks make me think there's more to it than a pure 50/50 chance for
> plaything/toy status.

No, the correlation is not quite so obvious. Even as a very special
plaything there's a low of getting a good effect, and Xom just might
decide to harm his teddybear after all. However, it is much more
_likely_ for a good effect to happen as a toy (and the higher Xom's
favour, the greater the likelihood) than for a plaything. In game
terms the probability of a good effect is mood/200 with mood being a
number of [0, 200] and plain Toy something around 100 (80 - 120 or
something), the Playthings below the lower thresholds, and the others
above the higher one.

In some test games I got good effects with the following percentages:

Very Special Plaything: 0%
Special Plaything: 17%
Plaything: 43%
Toy: 47%
Favourite Toy: 78%
Beloved Toy: 75%
Teddybear: 100%

jpeg

news.cox.net

Jul 2, 2009, 10:30:20 PM7/2/09
Jpeg,

Thanks a lot, your post helped my understanding quite a lot. Happy
Crawling!