POWDER 111 YAVP...on the Wii!

Adam Boyd

Dec 17, 2009, 9:09:24 PM12/17/09
First of all, heaps of praise and blowjobs to Jeff Lait, as usual.
I've been playing the game for two years now, and I recommend it to
friends from experience, and with enthusiasm. I also beam with glee
every time I read a tome of earth and see Grow Forest and Animate
Forest sitting there. Next, mad props to WiiBrew user insin for
porting POWDER to the Wii, Without his/her hard work and good taste in
games, this ascension would never have been possible.

I want to say that I'm proud of this one. I'm proud of all of them,
really, but I'm especially proud of this one. My first two ascensions
were products of brute force: A barbarian and a fighter. My third was
dumb luck combined with more dumb luck, and opportunism prevailed: I
played from floor 2 or 3 on as a freaking Iron Golem. This is my first
real spellcaster ascension that I played straight through as an
adventurer. This is my most technically sound victory, and I spared
very little in the way of thoroughness and preparation. Speed was not
an option. This was an adventure.

It took me a couple hours of botched jobs to fill up my high score
list, for starters. I've been trying to play a Lich victory for some
time, and it's not easy to set up. Tlosh keeps giving me death
spellbooks (which I hate, because Poison Item is way too risky in the
early game), so I usually go for Belweir starts for cleric or necro
runs because of the good spell coverage. I started with a tome of
death (eyeroll) and I was off to seal my fate and get on to the next
game.

I love, love, LOVE the ! tag on unique items and monsters. It makes
the game WAY less chaotic, and makes spells like Fetch invaluable. I
happened upon a pair of clogs with that pretty ! and they were lit up
like MAD. I put those suckers on, and Light Radius 5 made my Blink
easily the shining gem of my arsenal. Shortly after, I RANDOM
TELEPORTED INTO AN INACCESSIBLE TREASURE ROOM and found the silver
dagger Slugsmashshock, which I then proceeded to pimp out for the rest
of the game. I never use daggers, but I was murdering with this thing.
I took Bleeding Wounds, and once I learned Sticky Flames, it was great
to see "You freeze X. You stab X. You bleed X. You burn X." on every
attack. I only swapped it out because I ate a lich for a boost and
took weak to silver.

More points in chaotic order: I didn't learn the healing spells until
around level 22-23. Stone to Flesh is my favorite spell for staying
fed. The rock in my inventory is Baelz'bub's petrified corpse. I got
smart and ate Golden Tridude's bones instead of the whole corpse, and
that sucker gave me acid resistance until it wasn't relevant anymore,
and I still had room for more. I still have no idea what the Y-rune
does. I've still never been inside Belweir's library. My artifact
boots with walk on water AND breathless meant I could drop my empty
bottles in lava and swim down and get them. I could sleep in there if
I wanted to. I had 30 or so bottles of Greek fire at one time.

In this game, I learned Sunfire for the first time, and I'm not going
to lie, my jaw dropped and hung there. It was amazing, and one of the
most intense things I've ever seen or done in a game. I mean, there
was lava EVERYWHERE. The first time I used it, I blew out the walls of
a den of red dragons, so there was literally lava every-freaking-
where. I think the light damage as part of the spell is genius, and
excellent for enemies that are immune. I cast it on Golden Tridude,
and I half-expected the spaceship to melt.

This was the first game that I ever really took Baelz'bub on in
repeated hand-to-hand conflicts. The other games I spammed spells and
throwing weapons, but this one I really got up in his face and took
the fight to him more than before. I was ready.

I went through my only amulet of saving my ass on the trip back up. I
got jumped by a Green Dragon, got Soul Sucked, and poisoned to death.
I couldn't Blink (I couldn't Blink anyway), so I had to just truck on,
and I found that Sucker, killed him, healed myself just in time to
save myself, went invisible, and ran like hell. I went through SO MANY
WANDS this game, I swear. At least 3 fire, 2 polymorph (how I got my
amulet), 2 or 3 ice, 3 digging (Earth Elementals).

Overall, it was an excellent game, and it took me just over 3 hours.
Also, the +'s on my equipment were all me. I found a TON of
enchantment scrolls.

Is this the first ascension on the Wii?

-----

POWDER 111
Wii Version
Name: Tex Lonestar
Physical: 123/13 (max 123)
Mental: 49/17 (max 148)
AC: 41
X: 263
Depth: 1
23594 moves over 3h14m43s
Score: 12108
Intrinsics:
+ Left handed
x Fire resistance
x Position fixed
x Regeneration
x Reflective
x Breathless
x Walk on water
Spells:
+ Flash
+ Sticky Flames
+ Magic Missile
+ Fire Ball
+ Flame Strike
+ Sunfire
+ Heal
+ Major Heal
+ Light
+ Darkness
+ Magic Map
+ Detect Curse
+ Blink
+ Fetch
+ Teleport
+ Teleport with Control
+ Direct Wind
+ Dig
+ Petrify
+ Stone to Flesh
+ Entomb
Skills:
+ Helmets
+ Shields
+ Body Armour
+ Boots
+ Cloth Armour
+ Leather Armour
+ Iron Armour
+ Small Weapons
+ Medium Weapons
+ Large Weapons
+ Pointed Attacks
+ Bleeding Wounds
Equipped Items:
- +4 Iron helm on head.
- -1 Short sword Froodyrelatrelat in left hand.
- Tower shield in right hand.
- -1 Plate mail over body.
- Holy ring of regeneration on right finger.
- Ring of fire resistance on left finger.
- -3 Boots of water walking Orcyyz on feet.
Artifacts:
The -1 short sword Froodyrelatrelat
This artifact grants reflective.
Melee: 2d7+3 (acid), 1d6 (physical)
Thrown 2: 1d2[-2] (physical)

The -3 boots of water walking Orcyyz
This artifact grants breathless, walk on water, armour 3.
Melee: 1d2 (physical)
Thrown 2: 1d2[-2] (physical)

The +5 silver dagger Slugsmashshock
This artifact grants fast.
Melee: 1d6+2[+1] (cold), 1d4[+1] (physical)
Thrown 5: 1d8[+2] (physical), 1d4+2[+2] (physical)

The floppy hat Frostwang
This artifact grants search, armour 3.
Melee: 1d2 (physical)
Thrown 2: 1d2[-2] (physical)

The evil -1 fur-lined boots Braskshock
This artifact grants unchanging, cold resistance, armour 6.
Melee: 1d2 (physical)
Thrown 2: 1d2[-2] (physical)

The holy speed boots Amywang
This artifact grants fast, stoning resistance, light radius 5, armour
6.
Melee: 1d2 (physical)
Thrown 2: 1d2[-2] (physical)

The -1 buckler Omaklay
This artifact grants see invisible, armour 1.
Melee: 1d2 (physical)
Thrown 2: 1d2[-2] (physical)

The buckler Omasmash
This artifact grants acid resistance, armour 2.
Melee: 1d2 (physical)
Thrown 2: 1d2[-2] (physical)

The plain robe Wangrelatsmash
This artifact grants vulnerable to cold, telepathic, armour 2.
Melee: 1d2 (physical)
Thrown 2: 1d2[-2] (physical)

The wand of light (10) Wereyyz
This artifact grants search.
Melee: 1d2 (physical)
Thrown 2: 1d2[-2] (physical)

The wand of digging (2) Wereomafroody
This artifact grants invisible.
Melee: 1d2 (physical)
Thrown 2: 1d2[-2] (physical)

The wand of trapping (8) Upabraskbrask
This artifact grants see invisible.
Melee: 1d2 (physical)
Thrown 2: 1d2[-2] (physical)

The spear Treefrost
This artifact grants breathless.
Melee: 3 (death), 1d9+1 (physical)
Thrown 4: 2d3+3[+1] (physical), 1d8+2[+1] (physical)
Inventory Items:
- +4 Iron helm.
- -1 Short sword Froodyrelatrelat.
- Tower shield.
- -1 Plate mail.
- Holy ring of regeneration.
- Ring of fire resistance.
- -3 Boots of water walking Orcyyz.
- 2 Holy amulets of reflection.
- Utility staff.
- Holy +3 staff of destruction.
- Staff of bolts.
- Dagger.
- Evil dagger.
- 2 Silver daggers.
- Holy silver dagger.
- Evil -1 silver dagger.
- +5 Silver dagger Slugsmashshock.
- 2 Holy spears.
- 3 Holy +1 spears.
- 8 Spears.
- Holy +1 spear.
- Holy spear.
- Holy -1 spear.
- +1 Spear.
- Spear.
- Holy +3 silver spear.
- Holy silver spear.
- Silver spear.
- Silver spear.
- Holy +1 silver sword.
- Flaming sword.
- Floppy hat Frostwang.
- Evil -1 fur-lined boots Braskshock.
- Holy speed boots Amywang.
- -1 Buckler Omaklay.
- Buckler Omasmash.
- Mirror shield.
- Plain robe Wangrelatsmash.
- Ring of polymorph control.
- Ring of cold resistance.
- 3 Rings of fire resistance.
- Holy ring of teleportation.
- Evil ring of polymorph.
- Ring of shock resistance.
- Ring of regeneration.
- Ring of regeneration.
- Evil scroll of healing.
- Evil tome of force (4).
- Tome of divination (2).
- Holy shocking tome (4).
- Shocking tome (5).
- Evil tome of earth (2).
- Guide to armour (3).
- Tome of fire (2).
- Tome of fire (3).
- Heal potion.
- Holy heal potion.
- Evil heal potion.
- 3 Potions of blindness.
- 16 Bottles of greek fire.
- Kobold assassin statue.
- 2 Acid potions.
- Poison potion.
- Smoke potion.
- 2 Bottles of water.
- 2 Evil wands of ice (0).
- Holy +3 wand of ice (0).
- Wand of ice (0).
- Holy wand of speed (7).
- Wand of speed (12).
- Wand of sleep (6).
- Evil wand of sleep (3).
- Wand of light (10) Wereyyz.
- Wand of invisibility (0).
- Evil wand of fire (5).
- Evil wand of fire (8).
- Evil wand of fire (1).
- Holy wand of teleport (10).
- Wand of teleport (9).
- Wand of teleport (7).
- Wand of teleport (4).
- Holy wand of polymorph (0).
- Wand of polymorph (3).
- Wand of digging (0).
- Wand of digging (2) Wereomafroody.
- Wand of trapping (9).
- Wand of trapping (8) Upabraskbrask.
- Holy wand of create monster (7).
- 6 Empty bottles.
- 3 Empty bottles.
- Mound of flesh.
- Rock.
- Evil Baezl'bub's black heart.
- Glowing y-rune.
- Spear Treefrost.

David Damerell

Dec 18, 2009, 8:50:26 AM12/18/09
Quoting Adam Boyd <addcomb...@gmail.com>:
>happened upon a pair of clogs with that pretty ! and they were lit up
>like MAD. I put those suckers on, and Light Radius 5 made my Blink
>easily the shining gem of my arsenal.

I love items with Light Radius, not least because you know you've got it.

>does. I've still never been inside Belweir's library. My artifact
>boots with walk on water AND breathless meant I could drop my empty
>bottles in lava and swim down and get them. I could sleep in there if
>I wanted to. I had 30 or so bottles of Greek fire at one time.

I didn't realise you could make Greek fire like that!

>where. I think the light damage as part of the spell is genius, and
>excellent for enemies that are immune. I cast it on Golden Tridude,
>and I half-expected the spaceship to melt.

Presumably there is an engineering level below, since the level did not
evacuate.

>I went through my only amulet of saving my ass on the trip back up. I
>got jumped by a Green Dragon, got Soul Sucked, and poisoned to death.

I would say what I think of green dragons but none of the words are
printable.

>Is this the first ascension on the Wii?

Possibly. Clare and I only cracked the Wii and installed it a couple' days
ago.

>The holy speed boots Amywang

It had to happen some time.
--
David Damerell <dame...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is Saturday, December - a weekend.