Announce: Crawl 3.0 released

4 views
Skip to first unread message

Linley Henzell

unread,
Dec 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/23/98
to
Crawl 3.0 has just been uploaded to my website. All known bugs are
fixed, and heaps of new features have been added, including:

- 2 new races: centaur and demigod.
- 3 new classes: stalker (assassin skilled in poison magic), warper
(specialist translocator), and the Monk (unarmed combat expert).
- A new skill: Unarmed Combat.
- A new God to worship.
- Random artefact armours, rings and amulets.
- Lots of new dungeon features, new monsters, items etc.
- A new dungeon branch.
- Ghosts are nastier in a rather unpleasant way - wait and see!
- Sam Jansen has reformatted several modules (including the horrible
dungeon.cc), making them far easier to read and work with.
- Various minor miscellaneous changes have been made - for example, the
'x' command now describes items as well as monsters/dungeon features.

A DOS binary is available, and the source should compile on Linux and
OS/2 computers as well.

Note that save files and bones files from previous versions are
incompatible, so delete them before you play. Scores files are still
okay (compatible as far back as they go).

Happy Crawling!
Linley
http://olis.net.au/~zel/index.html

Joseph William Dixon

unread,
Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
to
On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Linley Henzell wrote:
> Crawl 3.0 has just been uploaded to my website. All known bugs are
> fixed, and heaps of new features have been added, including:

*sigh* Every time I see a Crawl release post, I wish more and more
that I knew enough about programming (which, BTW? C or C++?) to compile
this for the Amiga...

| Joseph Dixon | aa...@chebucto.ns.ca | The Guru has come |
| -=*[Gumby]*=- | Team *AMIGA* | Evil messenger of death |
| http://www.chebcuto.ns.ca/~aa343/ | The system has died |


Martin Read

unread,
Jan 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/2/99
to
In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.990...@halifax.chebucto.ns.ca>,

Joseph William Dixon <aa...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Linley Henzell wrote:
>> Crawl 3.0 has just been uploaded to my website. All known bugs are
>> fixed, and heaps of new features have been added, including:
>
> *sigh* Every time I see a Crawl release post, I wish more and more
>that I knew enough about programming (which, BTW? C or C++?) to compile
>this for the Amiga...

Effectively, it's plain C but with C++-style comments (// instead of /*
... */) and declarations (i.e. scattered randomly through code blocks
instead of either top-level or immediately following a left-brace).

I believe you can get curses (display package, as used by the Linux
version) for the Amiga, so you could probably get a first approximation
to a successful compile just by telling it you want to compile for Linux.
(put -DLINUX in the arguments to your C compiler)

Yrs,
M.
--
\_V_/ | Martin Read, 16 Willow Crescent, Durrington, Worthing BN13 2SU
\ / | "I'm gonna take you/I'm gonna make you pay/I'm gonna break you
V | I'm gonna make your beauty on my skin like oxyacetylene"
------/ -- Cubanate, "Oxyacetylene

Mark Howson

unread,
Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
to
Joseph William Dixon wrote:
>
> On Wed, 23 Dec 1998, Linley Henzell wrote:
> > Crawl 3.0 has just been uploaded to my website. All known bugs are
> > fixed, and heaps of new features have been added, including:
>
> *sigh* Every time I see a Crawl release post, I wish more and more
> that I knew enough about programming (which, BTW? C or C++?) to compile
> this for the Amiga...

Okay...

First, I've been trying to compile this for the Amiga for a very long
time. The Amiga code is more or less done and ready to include with the
main source package (though I'd like to be sure it works), but I have
yet to find a version of Crawl (no offence, Linley) that wasn't bugged.
In particular, I have two odd bugs:

a) My version of getch() returns a valid character, but by the time it
gets to the 'newgame.cc' code it's corrupted

and b) When compiled on my Linux system it crashes with a seg fault
whenever it tries to draw the dungeon. Crawl development goes so quickly
that I'm always trying new versions without ever sitting down and trying
to squash the bugs. Anyone seen anything like this?

I'm sure there will be an Amiga version eventually; just bear with me.

Mark

Joseph William Dixon

unread,
Jan 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/4/99
to
On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Mark Howson wrote:
> First, I've been trying to compile this for the Amiga for a very long
> time. The Amiga code is more or less done and ready to include with the
> main source package (though I'd like to be sure it works), but I have
> yet to find a version of Crawl (no offence, Linley) that wasn't bugged.

I wasn't aware that you were doing it, especially since I figured your
time had been taken up mostly with maintaining KAngband these days (and
tinkering with & compiling other Angband variants previous to that).

> I'm sure there will be an Amiga version eventually; just bear with me.

*sigh* Wish I could help... :(unfortunately the only C & C++ [which
is Crawl in, anyway?] manuals I can find are either extremely specific
to Windoze/MS-DOS/MacOs or else so horribly cryptic that they turn my
brains to mush :)

Aidan Ryder

unread,
Jan 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/6/99
to
In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.iB1.0.990...@halifax.chebu
cto.ns.ca>, Joseph William Dixon <aa...@chebucto.ns.ca> writes

>On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, Mark Howson wrote:
>> First, I've been trying to compile this for the Amiga for a very long
>> time. The Amiga code is more or less done and ready to include with the
>> main source package (though I'd like to be sure it works), but I have
>> yet to find a version of Crawl (no offence, Linley) that wasn't bugged.
>
> I wasn't aware that you were doing it, especially since I figured your
>time had been taken up mostly with maintaining KAngband these days (and
>tinkering with & compiling other Angband variants previous to that).
>

See what pestering gets you :)

>> I'm sure there will be an Amiga version eventually; just bear with me.
>
> *sigh* Wish I could help... :(unfortunately the only C & C++ [which
>is Crawl in, anyway?] manuals I can find are either extremely specific
>to Windoze/MS-DOS/MacOs or else so horribly cryptic that they turn my
>brains to mush :)
>
> | Joseph Dixon | aa...@chebucto.ns.ca | The Guru has come |
> | -=*[Gumby]*=- | Team *AMIGA* | Evil messenger of death |
> | http://www.chebcuto.ns.ca/~aa343/ | The system has died |
>

--
Aidan Ryder -- http://members.tripod.com/~Aidan_Ryder/Start.htm
"Two parts apathy, one part despair" - NOFX

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages